Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Not sure if posted before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGHAWdB2D5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
I find it bizarre that the liberal party have systematically attacked Clive Palmer almost daily- But they require his vote in the senate to get the budget legislation through. I can picture Pyne saying "oh see... We were only joking mate! Relax!" while negotiating in the party room. #adultsareincharge

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Public attacks across the isle mean absolutely nothing to politicians, they know that's just the red meat the public expects. When it comes down to doing a deal and money is changing hands, Abbott and Clive will get down in the trough and do a deal, no worries.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Don't overthink it; they attack Palmer because they don't want people voting for PUP instead of the Coalition.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

V for Vegas posted:

Public attacks across the isle mean absolutely nothing to politicians, they know that's just the red meat the public expects. When it comes down to doing a deal and money is changing hands, Abbott and Clive will get down in the trough and do a deal, no worries.

Palmer will be able to gather more votes by stopping this budget than by cutting a deal. As getting more votes to the cult-of-clive is in his personal interest, you can be rest assured that this is what Clive will do.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Australia does not have a race problem.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
He can also look around and count the number of sitting members of the last minor party to deal with the Libs on an unpopular budget.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Hypation posted:

You mean you get a deal greater than the award?

Good lord you are a disingenuous piece of poo poo. They are effectively taking a PAY CUT from their current conditions given the pay increase doesn't keep up with CPI over the next few years while working in one of the most profitable companies on the loving planet. Kill you are self, thanks.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

"He provides [the doctor] with a palpably false version of his confrontation and vicious assault on an unsuspecting victim," Judge Conlon said, noting Williams had suggested to the doctor that the victim had provoked him by calling him a "black bum".

Christ, I know racists aren't smart but why the gently caress would someone think that saying a black person called you a 'black bum' is something that would be considered provocative? Williams is quite clearly a white dude!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

HookShot posted:

I used to work at an unnamed bakery in Australia and they refused to pay for the time we had to stay after work to clean up beyond 15 minutes, when it ALWAYS took at least a half hour.

I would make up for it by helping myself to tasty deserts because the owners were too lazy to stay until we were done cleaning.

I work at a petrol station. I regularly pocket the change that customers don't take and eat the hot food instead of throwing it out like I'm supposed to because the 15 mins before and up to half hour after my shift are unpaid. gently caress the manager, hes a oval office and thats what he gets.

He had me finish an 8 hour shift at 9pm and start another the next day at 5am and was angry at me for being tired and missing driveoffs ect because I was falling asleep at the till. gently caress him.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 6, 2014

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Milky Moor posted:

Christ, I know racists aren't smart but why the gently caress would someone think that saying a black person called you a 'black bum' is something that would be considered provocative? Williams is quite clearly a white dude!

He was suggesting he wasn't white and you can't just go and accuse a white person of not being part of the master race, that's probably racist!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Don't overthink it; they attack Palmer because they don't want people voting for PUP instead of the Coalition.

They can't avoid him for 6 years after trashing him publically; they're going to need his vote sometime. This is a shared idiocy with the ALP, they know the demographics are shifting away from the majors but instead of adjusting policy they go for PR bullshit. It doesn't work now, it's going to work less, and you're going to see more independent/minor party strength. When poo poo actually happens, people start looking at the team they barracked for.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Mattjpwns posted:

Good lord you are a disingenuous piece of poo poo. They are effectively taking a PAY CUT from their current conditions given the pay increase doesn't keep up with CPI over the next few years while working in one of the most profitable companies on the loving planet. Kill you are self, thanks.

Ragingsheep posted:

You don't think it's crazy that staff working for a highly profitable company would agree to conditions that will see them worse off in real dollars as well as trading away penalty rates?

Must have missed that bit. Nope doesn't appear so. Nowhere does it say what Apple employees currently get? Also where does it say they traded away penalty rates.

There could be a boost in FY0 followed by 2% growth thereafter. It could be a case of everyone gets off the bottom wrung and gets promotions instead of a pay rise for their current position. These are all missing pieces of data that inform the full debate.

What we have now is limited selectively presented information. If it really is a zero now and 2% pa then Apple did pretty much gently caress them unless they got guarantees around job security in a declining market.

I also hear "most profitable companies" a lot. This is a disingenuous argument: Its like saying management don't get paid as much as workers (because there are more workers than management). Their assets are not marked to market. Good luck acquiring Apple if you think you only need $123.6bn.

Their actual post tax return on equity is 6.8%: MV of $596bn / NPAT of $40.5bn
Their actual pre-tax return on capital is 9.4% EV of $570bn / EBIT of $54.0bn

While revenues have grown over the last 5 years this is a company which was on the verge of bankruptcy in the 1990s and racked up billion dollar losses taking it until 2005 to recoup.

Now 62% of Apple is owned by institutions and mutual funds - which means its owned by client money, which means retirement and other savings of retail investors - but for the existence of which the pension and other welfare would be unavailable.
These returns offset the losses those investors would have had on other investments. If you are a "rich investor" who is typically a middle class superannuant you are not looking so flash as the stock returns are lower than what they were in 2008 and in real terms by an amount way more than 1% pa.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Hypation posted:

I also hear "most profitable companies" a lot. This is a disingenuous argument: Its like saying management don't get paid as much as workers (because there are more workers than management). Their assets are not marked to market. Good luck acquiring Apple if you think you only need $123.6bn.

Their actual post tax return on equity is 6.8%: MV of $596bn / NPAT of $40.5bn
Their actual pre-tax return on capital is 9.4% EV of $570bn / EBIT of $54.0bn

While revenues have grown over the last 5 years this is a company which was on the verge of bankruptcy in the 1990s and racked up billion dollar losses taking it until 2005 to recoup.

Now 62% of Apple is owned by institutions and mutual funds - which means its owned by client money, which means retirement and other savings of retail investors - but for the existence of which the pension and other welfare would be unavailable.
These returns offset the losses those investors would have had on other investments. If you are a "rich investor" who is typically a middle class superannuant you are not looking so flash as the stock returns are lower than what they were in 2008 and in real terms by an amount way more than 1% pa.

Wow that's a whole lot of words that don't bear at all on the question of whether or not one of the wealthiest companies on the face of the planet can afford to operate without effectively cutting the wages of the people who stack their shelves

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 6, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hypation posted:

Also where does it say they traded away penalty rates.

The goddamned article posted:

He also noted that the agreement traded away an entitlement under the award for double time on Sundays in favour of time and a half.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Jeff Seeney's just referred Clive Palmer to the Crime and Misconduct Commission.

e

quote:

Clive Palmer referred to Crime and Misconduct Commission by Queensland's Deputy Premier

Queensland Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney has referred two-year-old corruption allegations against federal MP Clive Palmer to the Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC).

Mr Seeney took the step within an hour of speaking to the ABC to defend his decision not to alert police about what he thought were corrupt advances from Mr Palmer.

The Palmer United Party leader is suing Campbell Newman, alleging the Premier defamed him by accusing him of trying to buy governments.

Mr Seeney says just after the LNP won office, Mr Palmer approached him wanting corrupt special treatment to advance his mining interests.

He told tonight's 7.30 Queensland program he alerted Mr Newman, but not the police or the CMC.

"The way things have developed since then I regret that I didn't report it," Mr Seeney said.

After the interview Mr Seeney referred the matter to the CMC.

Mr Palmer has previously said such claims are a complete fabrication, and if his accusers have any concerns they should go to the police or the CMC.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 6, 2014

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Those On My Left posted:

Wow that's a whole lot of words that don't bear at all on the question of whether or not one of the wealthiest countries on the face of the planet can afford to operate without effectively cutting the wages of the people who stack their shelves

It's current growth is not sustainable, And its current 6.8% ROE is not sufficient to deliver the growth required to adequately financed retirements of the people depending on their investments in it and other stocks.

And this ROE does not take into account the $7.7bn of CapEx it needs to sustain its growth - adjusting for that you're at 5.6%, which is lower than the AAA Commonwealth bond yield in Australia pre GFC - for equity.

Ie for the capital invested in it, Apple is not profitable enough - which is partly why its been downgraded from buy to neutral and then to sell by various analysts.

Yeah OK, my bad - missed it. The discount you get on "one major unit" and 10% of apple products does not seem to be adequate compensation to trade for penalty awards. They could have at least done zero incremental profit discounts of around 50%.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 6, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Turnbull has dinner with Palmer, Bolt and Jones attack Turnbull, Seeney attacks Palmer?

Some sort of...long bow.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

adamantium|wang posted:

Jeff Seeney's just referred Clive Palmer to the Crime and Misconduct Commission.

e

Brilliant. Now it gets called off and/or delayed and Palmer becomes a Geoff Shaw protected by the Federal Government and his numbers in the Senate fall in line.

:machiavellianlaugh:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Unless the guy has proof of wrongdoing, it's he said she said.

This is an attempt to get him to play ball and help pass the budget, nothing more.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Unless the guy has proof of wrongdoing, it's he said she said.

This is an attempt to get him to play ball and help pass the budget, nothing more.

This is an attempt to get him by the balls and help pass all laws.'

It will fail. Palmer would set fire to his face in order to spit on someone with more effect.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Hypation posted:

It's current growth is not sustainable, And its current 6.8% ROE is not sufficient to deliver the growth required to adequately financed retirements of the people depending on their investments in it and other stocks.
Translation: Literally, gently caress the workers, the investors have gotta get paid.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Those On My Left posted:

Translation: Literally, gently caress the workers, the investors have gotta get paid.

The workers get minimum wages and awards guaranteed by law, with preference over investors if things go south, Investors get nothing to protect their returns....

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Those On My Left posted:

Not just investors.. mom and pop investors.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
A friend posted this to me today:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hypation posted:

This is an attempt to get him by the balls and help pass all laws.'

It will fail. Palmer would set fire to his face in order to spit on someone with more effect.

I agree.

First time for everything, hey.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just put the fucker on ignore TOML. He's a multiple palooka who doesn't even read the material he decides to post about and gets thrashed in every single arguement.

You have better things to do with your time.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Hypation posted:

The workers get minimum wages and awards guaranteed by law, with preference over investors if things go south, Investors get nothing to protect their returns....

Shut up fuckhead.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Either show some self-restraint or put hypation on ignore. He's a lazy troll and yet you still let him bait you for 3 pages of poo poo.

But what does all this mean for Kevin Rudd's leadership ambitions?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Hey Melbourne goons:
If you're interested in IT and looking for work there's a spot open at my work at the moment. Customer facing support role in webhosting, pretty good money and hours, send me a PM or email me if you're interested.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Hypation posted:

No, of course they don't. Let's not loving kid ourselves about what investors are doing. They are taking their capital (not their labour)) and betting on the market. Of course these returns aren't protected, that's not what investing is. I mean, you can make the same argument about everyone who has bought shares in a coal mining company - we can't possibly tax polluters and invest in renewable energies instead, what about the investors. :qq:

No investor has a right to see a return. I say this as someone who has been fortunate enough to accumulate a bit of money and do some investing of my own - I know that there's a risk it will all go up in smoke. Frankly, I think that's fair enough. Investing is trying to take your privilege and turn it into more privilege - trying to take capital (which you probably possess in an amount that the working poor can only loving dream of) and turn it into more capital; not through the investment of labour, but just through the investment of capital.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Those On My Left posted:

No, of course they don't. Let's not loving kid ourselves about what investors are doing. They are taking their capital (not their labour)) and betting on the market. Of course these returns aren't protected, that's not what investing is. I mean, you can make the same argument about everyone who has bought shares in a coal mining company - we can't possibly tax polluters and invest in renewable energies instead, what about the investors. :qq:

No investor has a right to see a return. I say this as someone who has been fortunate enough to accumulate a bit of money and do some investing of my own - I know that there's a risk it will all go up in smoke. Frankly, I think that's fair enough. Investing is trying to take your privilege and turn it into more privilege - trying to take capital (which you probably possess in an amount that the working poor can only loving dream of) and turn it into more capital; not through the investment of labour, but just through the investment of capital.

TOML please don't waste your time.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Splode posted:

TOML please don't waste your time.

This isn't about Hypation; this is about lurkers who think "Gee, that Hypation guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about."

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Those On My Left posted:

This isn't about Hypation; this is about lurkers who think "Gee, that Hypation guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about."

Considering this argument is Hypation saying "these paycuts are a good thing for the workers", any lurkers dumb enough to not dismiss his spammy shitposts are too stupid to be saved.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Those On My Left posted:

Nobody capable of turning on a computer is that stupid.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Those On My Left posted:

I was going to post this exact thing. The arguments with the IWCs, AMUs, Urseus's and now the Hypations of the thread are good to have for this exact reason. None of them really bring anything new to the table, the core of their arguments regardless of their individual coherency, is poo poo you will hear anywhere across Australia today.

edit: That's why it's good for the lurkers and even the regulars to see these arguments if they want to. If you don't like the particular poster / conversation then tune out. Stop carrying on like posts are a finite resource.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 6, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Those On My Beet posted:

I was going to post this exact thing. The arguments with the IWCs, AMUs, Urseus's and now the Hypations of the thread are good to have for this exact reason. None of them really bring anything new to the table, the core of their arguments regardless of their individual coherency, is poo poo you will hear anywhere across Australia today.

edit: That's why it's good for the lurkers and even the regulars to see these arguments if they want to. If you don't like the particular poster / conversation then tune out. Stop carrying on like posts are a finite resource.

How many years until we reach Peak Shitpost?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
As an uneducated lurker, I can still tell that Hypation is a poo poo poster but I appreciate knowing why he is wrong and learning bits and pieces about concepts that are interesting to me in the process.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I had two blokes in a cultural diversity class today talk about how Indigenous people live in humpies and don't go to school because that's what They Want, so basically Australians are so stupid, cruel and craven that the vast majority of us should be shot on sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Splode posted:

How many years until we reach Peak Shitpost?

It just happened.

:v:

• Locked thread