Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Tae posted:

Good lord, is Warriors Orochi 1 supposed to be mega hard? I'm already stuck at the 2nd level of the game because Yue Ying and the map commander both die so easily and they go opposite ways on the map.

Play as Guan Ping. His C4 was broken in that game, triggering element effects on every swing. Diaochan's C1 triggers elements, too, so you could slide your way through battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oddly enough the other Warriors game I had the most difficulty with is Samurai Warriors Chronicles on the 3DS. Morale has a huge impact on how hard the enemies are and if you gently caress up enough missions (which is easy to do, some have very strict time limits) you can end up with some really tough, bordering on impossible, battles.

On the flip side it's one of the easiest games to go back and tackle missions on a higher difficulty level because they're not the huge step up they often are in other Warriors games.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there any chance of an English release for SW Chronicles 2?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you mean 2nd, it's not really a sequel, more of a Monster Hunter G style original game plus some extras. It's been out in Japan for 18 months or so and Koei has never mentioned a Western release, so it seems very unlikely.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/smusou7e/ DW8 Empires site is up. Only thing on it so far is a twitter campaign to guess the new guy for a chance to win a copy if you live in Japan.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That's Xun Yu. Funny hat, billowy robes, Western-style boots, slender build, and girlish short hair? That's a strategist if I ever saw one.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Certainly. But 'girlish' is perhaps flawed, given Chen Gong and most of the men in the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't suppose anyone out there has a complete DW8XLC PC save laying around they could upload for me? I've played through most of the game as is and really just want to experience the rest of the campaign stages without having to jump through the hoops to unlock all the stars for the rest now.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I came into Dynasty Warriors 8 almost entirely blind, having not played a DW game since 5 due to never getting a PS3. I had no idea what had happened with the weapons of some of the older characters, so which one I picked was often by chance.

I picked Huang Gai, remembering his club and bomb things from the older games.

I...I was not prepared for what he does these days.

This is the best game. Even aside from including some of my favorite older things like the alternate storylines from Samurai Warriors 1, Free Mode versions of the opposing side for most levels, the occasional entirely classic music track, playing Huang Gai blind for the first time was pretty much GAME OF THE YEAR. I have no idea how long he's had that gauntlet but whoever came up with that is a genius.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ZoninSilver posted:

I came into Dynasty Warriors 8 almost entirely blind, having not played a DW game since 5 due to never getting a PS3. I had no idea what had happened with the weapons of some of the older characters, so which one I picked was often by chance.

I picked Huang Gai, remembering his club and bomb things from the older games.

I...I was not prepared for what he does these days.

This is the best game. Even aside from including some of my favorite older things like the alternate storylines from Samurai Warriors 1, Free Mode versions of the opposing side for most levels, the occasional entirely classic music track, playing Huang Gai blind for the first time was pretty much GAME OF THE YEAR. I have no idea how long he's had that gauntlet but whoever came up with that is a genius.

The look on me and my brother's face when he chose Huang Gai must have been priceless. We would have fought over who gets to play him, but thanks to DW8XL's whole 'anyone can use any weapon' feature we're both surfing on piles of dead Chinese people.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
drat it, Wei has enough strategists, add Lu Kang already!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Now that the Sima clan's been migrated to Jin, one can say they don't have many of their own.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Agreed. It's Wu that's drowning in strategists.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pureauthor posted:

Agreed. It's Wu that's drowning in strategists.

Well if Zhuge Liang stops trolling them....

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

PureRok posted:

Playing through 3 in preparation. After playing through DW 7 and 8, SW 3 feels like I'm playing a PS2 era Warriors game and it's so stiff compared to those. Can't wait for an "HD" Samurai Warriors.

I've been playing sengoku basara in anticipation for 4 (only played 2 on 360) and I'm worried a bit it won't measure up. I hope to stand out more they'll go for a more historical based story ala DW 7, though these days if I really feel like unifying Japan I'll play a shogun 2 campaign.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I think Guo Jia and Jia Xu make up a solid team the way they've done them in the game, but there are a few Wei stages where you're taking strategic advice from a generic officer (Xun Yu) and it feels weird to have a generic officer talking so much.

So yeah, get him filled in already.

I haven't played Shu's XL stages yet, and I don't remember who Fa Zheng is at all, and I haven't been able to figure out from his weapon, appearance, or the lines I've heard from him in other stages, just who he is either.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Ambivalent posted:

I haven't played Shu's XL stages yet, and I don't remember who Fa Zheng is at all, and I haven't been able to figure out from his weapon, appearance, or the lines I've heard from him in other stages, just who he is either.

I've played all the XL stages and I still have no idea who he is, apart from a smarmy dick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Warriors Orochi 1 is bullshit. It's everything that I forgot was in earlier DW games like single arrows completely screwing you and super low damage on the very first enemy.

And allies that die at 75% morale to grunts.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'd like Gongsun Zan and Yuan Shu to be playable myself.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Two words: Sima Yan. If they're going to do Jin, they should do Jin right.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

caleramaen posted:

Two words: Sima Yan. If they're going to do Jin, they should do Jin right.

Sima Yan and his amazing invasion of Wu as he walks all over the 2 remaining playables.

They need more Wu late-era dudes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Do you get anything at all from completing XL Ambition Mode? I mean at least in the vanilla one you get access to all the stores, but this literally seems to be just "clean out the same maps like 4 times in a row and get back allies you already had".

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Fully subjugating provinces earns you some unique weapons, and the final battle for the mode is kind of neat. Otherwise, there's nothing of note.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Schneider Heim posted:

I'd like Gongsun Zan and Yuan Shu to be playable myself.

Yeah, I'd wish they'd focus more on fleshing out the earlier era rather than expanding the timeline into Jin territory, much as I enjoy most of the Jin people. Throw Liu Biao in there too.

Maleketh posted:

I've played all the XL stages and I still have no idea who he is, apart from a smarmy dick.

Yeah I'm not that familiar and his personality quirk is one of the weirdest. "I will repay everyone positively or negatively and help out Lie Bei for no discernable reason!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the idea with Fa Zheng was to give Shu a more 'morally grey' character so they aren't just the generic good guys, but he still needs to exist in a Shu that's 24/7 benevolence talk, so instead of morally grey he just comes across kind of bipolar.

Also 'Lie Bei' is an amazing typo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lie Bei lied, Guan Yu died.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sakurazuka posted:

Guanghazi.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sakurazuka posted:

:golfclap:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Endorph posted:

I think the idea with Fa Zheng was to give Shu a more 'morally grey' character so they aren't just the generic good guys, but he still needs to exist in a Shu that's 24/7 benevolence talk, so instead of morally grey he just comes across kind of bipolar.
It doesn't help that Zhuge Liang got dragged along for the benevolence talk, as previously he'd been able to fulfill the 'morally grey' role (i.e. the Shu stories for DW6).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I finally finished Shu's hypothetical, now I can never touch BENEVOLENCE again. :shepicide:

Also I cannot state how bummed I was that Xu Su has the hood down after he joins you for good.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Speaking of bullshit in Warriors games I remember a time I was playing DW Gundam 3 and I was on one of the extra stages going for 100%. I kill most of the enemy officers and only Ramba Ral is left...in an Acguy.

And he goes from the enemy main zone to our main zone and tears rear end all the way and takes our main base. Alone, with no support, through all our officers, he defeated everything and when he took our zone I finally had to recognize the threat he posed.

:shepface:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Oh, all the games bave bullshit to some degree. Whoever thought up the 8XL Free Mode objectives for Escape From Jiangdong needs to be beaten savagely.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

High personal morale will do that. Anyone with high morale will always win off-screen conflicts. Max morale people, ally or enemy, will basically rip through everything in seconds before you have a chance to react.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
I don't think I'll ever understand Shu in DW8. I mean it's constant honour this and benevolence that and when you come right down to it they betray and backstab enough people that they make even Lu Bu seem like a decent enough dude. :psyduck:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Maleketh posted:

Oh, all the games bave bullshit to some degree. Whoever thought up the 8XL Free Mode objectives for Escape From Jiangdong needs to be beaten savagely.

Can you explain why? I'm curious now, and I haven't played XL.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 7, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Everyone in Jin is an rear end in a top hat. And all of them in different ways. This is amazing. :allears:

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Everyone in Jin is an rear end in a top hat. And all of them in different ways. This is amazing. :allears:

I believe it's Sima Yi who has at least three moves where his quote is just him laughing maniacally?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yalborap posted:

I believe it's Sima Yi who has at least three moves where his quote is just him laughing maniacally?

His basic musou is the best.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

His basic musou is the best.
A Musou game with the three kingdoms and Gundam in it would allow him and Paptimus Sirocco to be side by side, and that would be incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SorcerousHam posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand Shu in DW8. I mean it's constant honour this and benevolence that and when you come right down to it they betray and backstab enough people that they make even Lu Bu seem like a decent enough dude. :psyduck:
I'd call it a fundamental problem with Shu in basically any context outside of playing up the traditional lore unironically, much less with a more defined story than the more... 'generic' characters (particularly for Liu Bei and Cao Cao) in the pre-7 games, because even the novel (which I distinguish as separate from the lore) actually includes a lot of the betrayal/backstabbing on Shu's part, albeit while still treating them as the protagonists.

Hell, by our standards Cao Cao's more of a good guy (much less actually effective) than Liu Bei, not least because of goals that are way more concrete than even traditional lore Liu Bei's, so Koei had to do something about Shu... the problem is, what they came up with comes off as even more cartoonish (than the pre-7 games' Shu) in its own way because of how much more grounded the other main factions (Wei, Wu, Jin) are in 7 and 8. Heck, like Endorph alluded to about Fa Zheng, pretty much any room for even subtle intra-faction variety "needs to exist in a Shu that's 24/7 benevolence talk", which makes for a Shu with even less variety/subtlety than in the traditional lore!

You can see TK2010 for a lot of what DW leaves out re: Shu... for example, when Zhao Yun privately protests having a drawing rigged in his favor -- both slips were essentially "you lose", and if Zhao Yun had drawn first Zhuge Liang would have flat-out lied and declared him the winner -- Zhuge Liang claims that Zhang Fei demonstrated his impulsiveness and therefore unworthiness of the 'prize' by drawing first. (There's also a subplot -- leading up to Liu Bei's refusal to heed Zhuge Liang's advice and therefore attacking Wu, hence Yiling -- that in a way, Zhuge Liang was "the odd man out" among the 'classic' Shu roster.) EDIT:

Pureauthor posted:

I dunno why they suddenly decided on 'benevolence' as the Shu catchall word.

Or why Zhuge Liang, who was a massive jerk in the novel (and therefore massively entertaining), has to be the one to espouse this theory.
This also illustrates one of the issues with DW7-8 Shu.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 7, 2014