Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Frequent flier programs are also quite expensive for the airline to run.
Actually, frequent flier programs are extremely profitable, and have probably kept companies afloat when they would have otherwise gone under.

But not because of your flying, rather all those miles you get from your credit card, hotel transfers, rental cars, flowers, .etc were purchased from the airline. Redemption values are tied to the probability the airline can sell that seat, and a portion of the airline miles expire anyway.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Small White Dragon posted:

Actually, frequent flier programs are extremely profitable, and have probably kept companies afloat when they would have otherwise gone under.

But not because of your flying, rather all those miles you get from your credit card, hotel transfers, rental cars, flowers, .etc were purchased from the airline. Redemption values are tied to the probability the airline can sell that seat, and a portion of the airline miles expire anyway.

Yep, selling miles to banks and other marketing partners is wildly profitable for most US-based airlines. It's like crack to them. Most loyalty programs have their own P&L responsibility, with some going so far as to spin off separate companies to manage it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Good point, I had forgotten about that. Still, the more they cut down on actual redemption benefits, and status perks, the lower cost they have associated with the program.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Belldandy posted:

El Al Air does this already, but it worked for me and I got upgraded to biz from TLV > LHR for like $75.

I'm actually not entirely opposed to changes like this. Our corporate policy does not allow buying first class unless it is the only seats available for a flight (for domestic, we can buy business for international but I never fly international for work) and there are definitely times when I've got a close to full fare economy ticket that I'd love the chance to pay a few bucks to get into first.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I just had to book a car. Avis' got a few decent Aeroplan promo going right now... But then Budget comes in at ~40% of the price :wtc:

Woo, 90 points, I guess.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mackieman posted:

Yep, selling miles to banks and other marketing partners is wildly profitable for most US-based airlines. It's like crack to them. Most loyalty programs have their own P&L responsibility, with some going so far as to spin off separate companies to manage it.

It also gives them a nice source of cash injections when they need it. Citibank pre-purchased $1b worth of miles from AMR in 2009 to use for the AAdvantage credit cards, for example. However, according to their SEC filing, it was more like a loan, and the miles weren't "payable" to AAdvantage/Citi customers until 2012.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
The shoulder strap on my little 16"x9"x9" PADI bag that I got as a free gift and have been using for years has finally broken and I need a replacement, any suggestions? I love that bag because while business guys are holding up the line bitching about gate checking on the little planes I normally fly on, I can chuck my bag in the smallest of overhead bins. The Air Boss looks rad, but it is too big.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

The shoulder strap on my little 16"x9"x9" PADI bag that I got as a free gift and have been using for years has finally broken and I need a replacement, any suggestions? I love that bag because while business guys are holding up the line bitching about gate checking on the little planes I normally fly on, I can chuck my bag in the smallest of overhead bins. The Air Boss looks rad, but it is too big.

I just bought the small version of the Timbuk2 Command messenger bag and I love it so far.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Seconded the Timbuk2 command. I have the medium. Best bag I've ever owned

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

air- posted:

How do you politely tell a client not to try and plan your travel for you? I had a PM respond to my travel estimate saying they saw lower prices on Orbitz, yet I'm betting they saw cheapshit fares on Spirit Airlines and that's a nightmare I'd really rather not deal with.
I respond by telling them that my firm's travel policy states that I must use their travel system for booking all work-related travel, including flights, hotels, and rental cars. Following this policy is usually prescribed in the MSA between our organizations, or in the SOW if an MSA does not exist. We actually do this for a good reason: it allows us to know exactly where our people are when traveling, so that we can get them assistance in the event of an emergency. For example, when that plane landed in the Hudson, my firm had 3 people on the plane. We had an emergency response team waiting for them on the shore by the time they got there.

Orbitz is cool and all, but probably can't top that. That doesn't even take into account travel insurance requirements, etc.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
And now The Other Delta United has announced mileage earning based on fare price. :rolleyes:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

And now lovely Delta United has announced mileage earning based on fare price. :rolleyes:

Fixed that for you.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat, I just finished a trip where I would have earned about 60,000 starwood points, but since the room was booked at a corporate package rate they won't issue points.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ouch, that's like a grand.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

And now The Other Delta United has announced mileage earning based on fare price. :rolleyes:

I'm planning on switching over to American if I can as soon as I hit Platinum on Delta for this year (so I can go for a status match). I really hope I don't make the switch and then have AA pull this next year.

I'm still really annoyed by these changes, it turns the programs into a pure rebate program instead of a loyalty program.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Checked my numbers for this year so far

Under 2014 Skymiles:
MQM: 33,484 (about 3k rollover)
MQS: 27
MQD: $3,285
RDM: 55,902

Under 2015 Skymiles:
RDM: 26,280

So a little more than a 50% reduction in miles thus far this year. And I am on pace to hit the MQD requirements with no problem, so it isn't like I'm only traveling on super cheap fares.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 11, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I really hope I don't make the switch and then have AA pull this next year.

I hate to burst your bubble...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Frequent travel by car doesn't get you any mileage. Ugh, 20 hours in the last 4 days.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thoguh posted:

I'm planning on switching over to American if I can as soon as I hit Platinum on Delta for this year (so I can go for a status match). I really hope I don't make the switch and then have AA pull this next year.
Unfortunately, it's very likely the chances of something better died when AA management got replaced with US Airways management.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Frequent travel by car doesn't get you any mileage. Ugh, 20 hours in the last 4 days.
They like us to use a rental car if it's cheaper, and at a $0.56 per mile rate, it's very often cheaper. And that gets you rental car points at least.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thoguh posted:

I'm still really annoyed by these changes, it turns the programs into a pure rebate program instead of a loyalty program.

AA is absolutely going to do the same thing. Jumping from a merger dumpster fire into a merger dumpster fire doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me. I'm strongly considering a status match/challenge over to Delta next year since I will likely not qualify for 1K again. My primary motivation, because I'm 6'8", is extra legroom seats. Delta has some, not as nice as United's, but it'll work for a while. We'll see what happens after that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unfortunately, it's very likely the chances of something better died when AA management got replaced with US Airways management.

If you think AA management wasn't going to do something similar, I have a bridge to sell you.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I know its a vain hope. But gotta hope for something. Basically I just want an airline where after a year's worth of travel I have enough miles to cover the flights for two people to a vacation somewhere decent.

I have to think that there is a huge chunk of domestic business travelers are in a situation similar to mine, flying a mix of cheap and expensive tickets and doing their best to stick with one airline because they don't fly enough to have status on multiple programs. People who make the airlines money but aren't super lucrative. I am just crossing my fingers that AA decides that group is worth keeping around since the other airlines are chasing them off. Airline business is cyclical so if they can attract those mid level travelers now they'll keep us around at the bottom of the cycle.

And yes, I know that isn't what they are going to do. That's just what I wish they would do.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 11, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm not entirely following you as loyalty is rewarded by status. No airline is going to offer you easy free trips for flying with them any more, all programs are or will be almost the same, and biz pax are motivated by loyalty perks not RDM. There's still great benefit to consistently flying the same airline.

Hoping for what you're hoping for now is like hoping for Santa as an adult. You just gotta wrap your head around the world of air travel rewards won't ever be like it was even 3 years ago.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you think AA management wasn't going to do something similar, I have a bridge to sell you.
They would have done some bad things, certainly, but a lot of the internal proposals they made were much better (for customers) than what US management proposed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Who proposed gutting the ff plan overnight with no notice

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

smackfu posted:

They like us to use a rental car if it's cheaper, and at a $0.56 per mile rate, it's very often cheaper. And that gets you rental car points at least.

The company car I have beats the socks off any rental car, plus it was partially international. It was just the guy that was riding with me wasn't really tune/jam friendly.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

sellouts posted:

Who proposed gutting the ff plan overnight with no notice

The entire airline industry.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Exactly. What management is in charge is largely irrelevant. It's a race to the bottom.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Management can actually matter a lot. You're probably going to get screwed in some fashion, but there are definitely varying degrees of how badly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As an employee of an airline? Sure.

As a customer today, with comparison shopping easier than ever, advertising blitzes for anything that differentiates (bags fly free, etc) and the herd mentality of legacy air carriers, I very much disagree.

One lowers the bar and if it'll make them money it's a matter of scheduling until the others follow suit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I also don't feel like devaluations are "screwing" customers. I dislike the devaluations, but fundamentally a loyalty program is a bonus to loyal customers, not an inherent part of air travel.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also don't feel like devaluations are "screwing" customers. I dislike the devaluations, but fundamentally a loyalty program is a bonus to loyal customers, not an inherent part of air travel.
Even without spend-based mileage accrual for flying, almost all the other miles (e.g., credit cards, dining, hotel, .etc) are based on spend and so the redemptions will have to be adjusted periodically just to keep up with the increasing number of miles.

sellouts posted:

As an employee of an airline? Sure.

As a customer today, with comparison shopping easier than ever, advertising blitzes for anything that differentiates (bags fly free, etc) and the herd mentality of legacy air carriers, I very much disagree.

One lowers the bar and if it'll make them money it's a matter of scheduling until the others follow suit.
I wasn't speaking of airline employees, although we can have that discussion if you want.

I was talking about frequent fliers, which is who I assume this thread is for. Not everything would change (see above), but some things can. For instance, US management is going to have fewer F seats and a lot fewer Y+ seats on some upcoming aircraft than former AA management proposed. I would guess that's the sort of thing some people definitely care about, even if you do not.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Are you talking about the 319 and 321? The 319 is definitely short in terms of F seats, even compared to the USAir configuration.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you talking about the 319 and 321? The 319 is definitely short in terms of F seats, even compared to the USAir configuration.

Short isn't a good way to put it, even. AA was very 737 heavy and you would have 16 F seats, the 319 only has 4, which means any of those lines are almost certainly not going to be open to upgrade. poo poo, even the CR7 has more F seats. Hopefully the 319 sticks to shorter/regional routes. But I am sure with my luck they'll do JFK > SFO soon or something and throw away the 767/321Ts.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I do my best to avoid Delta's 319s but I don't have a lot of luck with that due to the routes I tend to fly. Only 12 seats in first to 114 in coach, so even if I have a full Y ticket I never even sniff an upgrade, no in seat power anywhere on the plane, and no in flight entertainment system. The only positive they've got going for them is that the bulkhead is just a curtain, so if I can get into the bulkhead row there is a huge amount of leg room and you don't have to store everything in the overhead bins for takeoff/landing. Delta's doing some upgrades this year to fix the lack of power and entertainment. But that still won't fix the low percentage of seats in First.

I'll take a CRJ 900 over a 319 any day. They fly a lot of the same routes and the 900 has the same number of F seats but only half as many coach seats. Even when I was just starting out flying for work as a Silver I almost always got upgraded on a 900. And I actually really like the first class seats on the RJ700/900s.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Thoguh posted:

I do my best to avoid Delta's 319s but I don't have a lot of luck with that due to the routes I tend to fly. Only 12 seats in first to 114 in coach, so even if I have a full Y ticket I never even sniff an upgrade, no in seat power anywhere on the plane, and no in flight entertainment system. The only positive they've got going for them is that the bulkhead is just a curtain, so if I can get into the bulkhead row there is a huge amount of leg room and you don't have to store everything in the overhead bins for takeoff/landing. Delta's doing some upgrades this year to fix the lack of power and entertainment. But that still won't fix the low percentage of seats in First.

I'll take a CRJ 900 over a 319 any day. They fly a lot of the same routes and the 900 has the same number of F seats but only half as many coach seats. Even when I was just starting out flying for work as a Silver I almost always got upgraded on a 900. And I actually really like the first class seats on the RJ700/900s.

I also fly Delta and I am pleased when my routes include a CRJ cause it is upgrade time. Also, good lord does JFK suck. Is LGA any better?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

MickeyFinn posted:

I also fly Delta and I am pleased when my routes include a CRJ cause it is upgrade time. Also, good lord does JFK suck. Is LGA any better?

HAHAAHHAAHHAHAAH no. LGA is probably the worst Airport in the US, but I like it because I can get to the airport in like 15 minutes. I actually like JFK, but AA has a pretty good terminal (8) there. It just sucks getting there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MickeyFinn posted:

Only the 700s and 900s. Almost all the flights out of my home airport are in CRJ100/200 aircraft and I hate those sardine cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Only the 700s and 900s. Almost all the flights out of my home airport are in CRJ100/200 aircraft and I hate those sardine cans.

I totally forgot about those. I think the last time I encountered one of those was on LAX to SAN and that was purely for the novelty.