Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

"We have FTL travel but not spectroscopes" is plenty pothole to me.

That's not any weirder than Martians with heat rays never figuring out microbiology. I also remember a short story where aliens with FTL and anti-gravity vehicles failed to invade Earth because they only have muskets and gunpowder cannons.

Even the IDW Transformers comics had a bit of this. The Cybertronians still get their entertainment from live stage performances instead of watching videos, and Rung still wears glasses instead of getting his optics fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The MSJ posted:

That's not any weirder than Martians with heat rays never figuring out microbiology. I also remember a short story where aliens with FTL and anti-gravity vehicles failed to invade Earth because they only have muskets and gunpowder cannons.

Even the IDW Transformers comics had a bit of this. The Cybertronians still get their entertainment from live stage performances instead of watching videos, and Rung still wears glasses instead of getting his optics fixed.
I give H.G. Wells a pass on the martian thing because TBH the book had gotten boring at that point and I was happy just to see the end of it. Also we hadn't really gotten that great a handle on it ourselves 1897, and antibiotics being relevant outside military use wasn't really a thing until post WWII. The examples you mention from Transformers are choices rather than technological limitations though. They have the technology to watch recorded entertainment (and I'd argue that Rewind DOES watch it, in his own perverse way) and Rung had his entire head rebuilt after Swerve shot him so if he kept them it was personal choice and also serves as another convenient reference to Carl Jung for the character. Neither of these things are the deux ex that resolves the plot, though Rung's alt mode being "decorate" might be down the line when he also has the choice of changing that right now. Also it's kind of hard to make a case for not being able to make glass prisms. They aren't exactly high-tech, even if you can come up with some reason that they didn't realise you could use them to determine the composition of a thing by looking at the light it reflects.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arquinsiel posted:

I give H.G. Wells a pass on the martian thing because TBH the book had gotten boring at that point and I was happy just to see the end of it. Also we hadn't really gotten that great a handle on it ourselves 1897, and antibiotics being relevant outside military use wasn't really a thing until post WWII. The examples you mention from Transformers are choices rather than technological limitations though. They have the technology to watch recorded entertainment (and I'd argue that Rewind DOES watch it, in his own perverse way) and Rung had his entire head rebuilt after Swerve shot him so if he kept them it was personal choice and also serves as another convenient reference to Carl Jung for the character. Neither of these things are the deux ex that resolves the plot, though Rung's alt mode being "decorate" might be down the line when he also has the choice of changing that right now. Also it's kind of hard to make a case for not being able to make glass prisms. They aren't exactly high-tech, even if you can come up with some reason that they didn't realise you could use them to determine the composition of a thing by looking at the light it reflects.

Deus ex machina in a film about faith. Disgusting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sassassin posted:

Deus ex machina in a film about faith. Disgusting.
I know right? It's almost like I didn't complain about the execution thereof instead of the existence of it itself.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Arquinsiel posted:

You have just compared Signs favourably to Citizen Kane and decided that I am autistic because a poorly executed symbol has irritated enough people who watched a film for it to be the prevailing opinion even after having that symbol deconstructed in a thread for analysing a vehicle for selling toys to children shot by shot.

I recant my dislike for the hamfisted execution of faith triumphing over adversity via deus ex machina, clearly you are correct.

Yes, Signs can be favorably compared to Citizen Kane. It's still probably the worse film of the two, which would seem to suggest that those aspects aren't a very important part of what makes a film good, ie. plot holes don't matter. Now I'm sure there are certain kind of people who are genuinely bothered by plot holes to such an extent that they can't enjoy a good story and I call them autists but honestly I'm not an expert on autism so you definitely should not take my word for it, I'm most likely misusing the term because I find it funny. For the rest though, plot holes are just a convenient bullshit explanation for why they thought a film was bad.

So, you know, pick whichever you like.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I did not enjoy Signs at all, even before the water part, I just understood what the film was trying to say. What mental disorder are you going to diagnose me with?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Shyamalan has a consistent visual aesthetic to his films. They all feel like a gloomy rainy day to me, which I do not enjoy. This aesthetic also seems to permeate the line delivery in all his films. I would say they are humorless and joyless which undercuts the spiritual epiphany in something like Signs. I didn't see Devil, but from the trailers it seemed to keep this aesthetic. If that is the case, I imagine that is why it is often assumed he directed it.

So, who else is predicting Age of Extinction to be the best of the series? With what he learned from part 3 and what he learned from Pain & Gain I'm expecting something very interesting.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

I did not enjoy Signs at all, even before the water part, I just understood what the film was trying to say. What mental disorder are you going to diagnose me with?

Good taste.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

verybad posted:

Good taste.

Everybody has the delusion that they have good taste.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

It's a terrible affliction. There is no cure.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Signs is one of the best drat alien invasion films ever. Even if you do find the faith metaphor clumsy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The inevitable have happened: Skrillex is part of the TF4 soundtrack.

Hasbro has also released these videos. The 3rd one has a disproportionate use of force against a Decepticon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyuMfZ3mWIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKp8i1bG2zU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1240w_NV8HY

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
So are the Dinobots themselves stronger in their beast mode or robot alt? Basing this only from beast wars but re-watching G1 the dinobots never really transformed much in their robot mode to fight anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Usually the way things are played is that they're stronger in dinosaur mode, but if you want to get them through a door and still have a door standing afterwards you need to convince them to transform into robot mode.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Also the recent trend of dino modes pretty much being wolverine going feral or hulking out (they get crazed and viscious and lose higher thought but can't be stopped)

The movies don't take many notes from other material except in broad (very broad) strokes, but if grimlock tramsforms and talks to prime I wonder if they'll just make him dumb grimlock or smart grimlock. Given the movies sense of humor (mocking people) dumb grimlock seems likely. It certainly would be the easy way.
A lot of comic material has grimlock being actually a brilliant strategist, though unethical, direct, and aggressive, but seeming dumb at first glance and easily underestimated. Often the pronoun thing is a speech impediment. Usually this is the route if the dinobots were not built or born on earth but instead had a past on cybertron. (except in idw, who was this way for a while but is now dumb grimlock due to brain damage). All this seems overcomplicated for the film and its audience, and smart grimlock has only been in the comics and a video game. Still... it would be nice if he at the very least could have a drat conversation with prime. They could talk about freedom, murder, and severed faces.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Rita Repulsa posted:

A lot of comic material has grimlock being actually a brilliant strategist, though unethical, direct, and aggressive, but seeming dumb at first glance and easily underestimated. Often the pronoun thing is a speech impediment. Usually this is the route if the dinobots were not built or born on earth but instead had a past on cybertron.

I've only read one or two issues of Transformers comics, and that was thirty years ago, so I'm not familiar with any of those continuities but smart tactician Grimlock with a speech impediment sounds pretty awesome. I mean, I like the oafish, well meaning but dim-witted Dinobots from the cartoon (and Transformers '85), but smart Grimlock would be great.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Didn't smart Grimlock create the Technobots in the cartoon too?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I've only read one or two issues of Transformers comics, and that was thirty years ago, so I'm not familiar with any of those continuities but smart tactician Grimlock with a speech impediment sounds pretty awesome. I mean, I like the oafish, well meaning but dim-witted Dinobots from the cartoon (and Transformers '85), but smart Grimlock would be great.

Coolguye and TheLastRoboky's Fall of Cybertron LP features the videogame version of smart but crippled Grimlock. Sure the video doesn't start out that way, but give it time. The next video also covers more Grimlock shenanigans.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Russian trailer with some new footage and also a pretty great-sounding Russian Optimus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCKE7AbB5lE

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is going to be loving bananas. Bay has that almost unique ability, no matter how old I get or how jaded I think I am, to make me feel 8 whenever a trailer of his hits.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There was an interview with him recently where he talked about car manufacturers banging at his door for the opportunity to have one of their cars be a Transformer in his movie, and how it was much, much harder to get car companies onboard for the first movie (which is why almost every car was a General Motors car). But he said the car companies all have the same demand: their Transformer can only be a good guy.

He said that the only way he was able to talk Lamborghini into letting him use their car for Lockdown was by spinning it as "he's a mercenary, so he's technically not a bad guy". :v:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

He said that the only way he was able to talk Lamborghini into letting him use their car for Lockdown was by spinning it as "he's a mercenary, so he's technically not a bad guy". :v:

He is speaking a language capitalists understand.

Wonder how he got Soundwave to be a Mercedes?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 5, 2014

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

There was an interview with him recently where he talked about car manufacturers banging at his door for the opportunity to have one of their cars be a Transformer in his movie, and how it was much, much harder to get car companies onboard for the first movie (which is why almost every car was a General Motors car). But he said the car companies all have the same demand: their Transformer can only be a good guy.

Joke's on them since, as has been amply shown, the good guys are all monsters.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

He is speaking a language capitalists understand.

Wonder how he got Soundwave to be a Mercedes?
I'm just speculating, but there is an Autobot Mercedes in the movie, too. Bay might have offered it up as a "package deal", they get a good guy and a bad guy?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I wonder if the same thing happened with non-car companies that appear in the movies. "Why yes, Nokia and Mountain Dew, we are happy to advertise your brands (and turn them into feral death-dealing robot animals)!"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This seems like the thread that would know, is there any reason Bad Boys II is so hard to find on Blu-Ray? Did it ever even get released?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Leospeare posted:

I wonder if the same thing happened with non-car companies that appear in the movies. "Why yes, Nokia and Mountain Dew, we are happy to advertise your brands (and turn them into feral death-dealing robot animals)!"

Doesn't seem like something Mountain Dew might object to.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The MSJ posted:

Doesn't seem like something Mountain Dew might object to.

Still disappointed we never got a dewbot figure.

Also holy poo poo the toys for the new movie are all rear end except for a couple of the deluxes and voyagers. Worst line-up I've ever seen.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

This is going to be loving bananas. Bay has that almost unique ability, no matter how old I get or how jaded I think I am, to make me feel 8 whenever a trailer of his hits.
I've only had this for his Transformer movies. :allears:

I wonder why they all want to be good guys. It doesn't ensure screen time, nor does it ensure that your car will look awesome.

api call girl posted:

Also holy poo poo the toys for the new movie are all rear end except for a couple of the deluxes and voyagers. Worst line-up I've ever seen.

I would've bought it. I also bought Ejector even though I'm not collecting. How could I resist a brave little toaster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

api call girl posted:

The Dinobots are generally fine except for Slash. I like the look of deluxe Drift too. Also I guess the good voyagers are Evasion Mode Optimus and Hound (7 guns + 1 knife!).

And there's this here thing that unfortunately is only in Japan.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darth TNT posted:

I've only had this for his Transformer movies. :allears:

I wonder why they all want to be good guys. It doesn't ensure screen time, nor does it ensure that your car will look awesome.
It doesn't even ensure your car survives the movie.

Car companies are weird about licensing stuff - in racing videogames, it's pretty rare to see licensed car games that have extensive damage models, because manufacturers don't like having their cars depicted as all smashed up. Some have gotten a bit more lenient in recent years, but the odds of seeing, say, FlatOut-levels of car damage in a Forza or Gran Tourismo game are real slim.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Lots of new footage of American flags, Frasier being a dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqaFz69u66s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxb73J2fjLI

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

The MSJ posted:

The Dinobots are generally fine except for Slash

Yeah I ain't digging the whole feathered raptor thing, giant robot turkey ain't as cool as giant reptile raptors

SirDrone fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 7, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'm looking and the only decent Grimlock seems to be the Voyager one too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SirDrone posted:

Yeah I ain't digging the whole feathered raptor thing, giant robot turkies ain't as cool as giant reptile raptors

Having been around wild turkeys roaming the woods near where I grew up, I gotta say there's plenty that looks cool and primordial about them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Slash's raptor alt form looks awesome. I haven't been following toy blogs so idk what the robot looks like, but if it's any decent I'll pick it up when I see it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

api call girl posted:

Slash's raptor alt form looks awesome. I haven't been following toy blogs so idk what the robot looks like, but if it's any decent I'll pick it up when I see it.

Slash's robot mode looks too 'busy' and top heavy. Heres's a peaugh video of the toy.

On another note, I actually hope that this will be Bay's final TF movie. Not because I don't like his direction, but because current trends in Hollywood dictates that a multi-million dollar franchise will be handed over to a fresh young talent in the same league as Josh Trank (Star Wars and Fantastic Four), Gareth Edwards (Star Wars and Godzilla) and Collin Trevorrow (Jurassic World). I'm just excited to find out who it will be.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Slash's robot mode looks too 'busy' and top heavy. Heres's a peaugh video of the toy.

On another note, I actually hope that this will be Bay's final TF movie. Not because I don't like his direction, but because current trends in Hollywood dictates that a multi-million dollar franchise will be handed over to a fresh young talent in the same league as Josh Trank (Star Wars and Fantastic Four), Gareth Edwards (Star Wars and Godzilla) and Collin Trevorrow (Jurassic World). I'm just excited to find out who it will be.

On the other hand, why not let Bay finish his days working exclusively in the medium of Transformers if he so wishes? he seems to find a lot to wor with, and he's well on his way to being the new Old Master os transforming robot satires.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I can't really imagine anyone picking up the reins from Michael Bay and doing the films justice. Like it or not, Bay is very distinctive and going from Bay's hyper kinetic visual festival to... Well, I'd only see the films becoming very bland.

edit: I'd rather a full reboot, actually.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One thing that surprises me is Hasbro scheduling movie 5 for 2017 instead of 2 years from now like the norm for movie franchises. Is summer 2016 full already? Or maybe they want the time to look and prepare for a new director?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 10, 2014