Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I want one for my office doorway.

Does it use Acid instead of Water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Lareous posted:

So our phone system needs some servicing.

Except end-of-life for the system (Intertel 5000) was May 30, 2014.

Anyone have VOIP recommendations for ~30-40 users? Shortel looks kind of neat but I've heard horror stories.

Hey, me too! We have several campuses and most are using ancient Norstars (one of them is branded as Meridian!) but we have one using a Mitel 5000. A higher up must have seen the EoL date and it probably sparked the whole "let's move to Lync" thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This was my first suggestion. They were not happy with it.

It keeps getting better though! Now they want to be able to present some sort of ra-ra go us slideshow! Outdoors, in the full sun! I had a 30 minute conversation on this will in no way shape or form work. So now I'm wasting more time in my busy day to explain that not even our super expensive boardroom projector that is ceiling mounted would work outdoors.

If they think a generator is a step too far then you don't even want to know how much an outdoor-readable high-res LED wall is going to cost.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It keeps getting better though! Now they want to be able to present some sort of ra-ra go us slideshow! Outdoors, in the full sun! I had a 30 minute conversation on this will in no way shape or form work. So now I'm wasting more time in my busy day to explain that not even our super expensive boardroom projector that is ceiling mounted would work outdoors.

What does that even mean, impossible?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm going to do a mad-scientist thing in the next couple days and re-purpose some cat3 that is punched to an obsolete phone panel from our office to the building closet and terminate it with rj-45 ends in an effort to get an ethernet line from the building's utility closet to our office's closet. I'm excited to see how bad it will be.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KoRMaK posted:

I'm going to do a mad-scientist thing in the next couple days and re-purpose some cat3 that is punched to an obsolete phone panel from our office to the building closet and terminate it with rj-45 ends in an effort to get an ethernet line from the building's utility closet to our office's closet. I'm excited to see how bad it will be.

Cat3 was fine for 10Base-T. If you need any ISA ethernet adapters for your 1990s computing experiment let me know.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's some sort of major Internet problem in L.A. Our phones stayed up though so maybe I won't get fired. Job insecurity is exciting!

EDIT: Ah, it's some sort of problem with Qwest/CenturyLink and everyone downstream from them, like TelePacific.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 5, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

This will make users stop, but only to call IT and ask what the sign in front of their car is all about.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Okay, so, in lieu of like $20 gift card or whatever for employee appreciation day, this year the firm decided to give us all a logo-branded portable charger. Which, since I'm the kind of person who does this, I looked up the exact model and discovered it ran about $13 a pop.

Well, the batteries of the chargers have basically all started to swell precipitously. Like, breaking the back off the device swelling.

I work for a law firm. The majority of our staff? Lawyers.

JAZZ HANDS

(IT was not involved in this purchase at all, thank god.)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

vibur posted:

Look at you thinking my boss has the wherewithal or the political capital to institute a new hire process.

This is not a new hire process. This is how fast your department can get a brand new computer bought and configured for use on your company's network. This is limited by an external retailer's (presumably Dell) supply chain, the postal service, and How Fast Plane Or Truck Go. It doesn't matter that it's a new hire, it would be the same if the CEO's machine caught fire.

If they would like one of your shitbox loaners in the meantime, fine.

Oh, don't show them this, because you know they'll want you to rig that up in 4 hours "with sprinklers or something."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Okay, so, in lieu of like $20 gift card or whatever for employee appreciation day, this year the firm decided to give us all a logo-branded portable charger. Which, since I'm the kind of person who does this, I looked up the exact model and discovered it ran about $13 a pop.

Well, the batteries of the chargers have basically all started to swell precipitously. Like, breaking the back off the device swelling.

I work for a law firm. The majority of our staff? Lawyers.

JAZZ HANDS

(IT was not involved in this purchase at all, thank god.)

Still better than the thank you e-card the CEO sent out during last year's 'employee appreciation week', which also featured a bubble gum blowing contest in lieu of my proposed old computer smashing event.

They aren't even doing one this year. Yay?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KoRMaK posted:

How long is this run? Chances are you'll get lots of interference and a crappy connection.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Dick Trauma posted:

There's some sort of major Internet problem in L.A. Our phones stayed up though so maybe I won't get fired. Job insecurity is exciting!

EDIT: Ah, it's some sort of problem with Qwest/CenturyLink and everyone downstream from them, like TelePacific.

CenturyLink having problems? Must be a day of the week.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

:allears:

They're just trolling you at this stage. I love explaining to people that , no you can't really see the multi kilowatt lighting rig during the day because the sun is actually quite bright :sun:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It keeps getting better though! Now they want to be able to present some sort of ra-ra go us slideshow! Outdoors, in the full sun! I had a 30 minute conversation on this will in no way shape or form work.

Pete's Big TVs would like to have a word with you. Get a quote for video from them, and ask the sound company to provide a quote for a half-mile of 0000 feeder so the generator is suitably hidden.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

An email came in. From "efax". Sent to every single person and distribution group in our office (and hilariously, CCed to specifically one user for one reason. "SEND TO: FUCKIN EVERYONE cc: Mark")

It's obviously a crypto locker equivalent, but we use O365 with Outlook 2013, so you can't even SEE the attached .zip file without clicking past three "yes I want to open this virus" warnings, let alone download it. We also use an antivirus program (Vipre) that won't even allow certain executables to run without explicit administrator permission via a dashboard. (Not local-admin rights, it is handled by a listed administrator on the account for the antivirus, green lighting the exe)

This is at an IT company that provides support for other companies, and we have dealt with several client crypto locker infections in the past month

And our loving sales/marketing guy replies-all to the spam email asking why his antivirus won't let him open the fax even though he has local admin rights (which he isn't supposed to)

I waited until after five and pushed out a policy to change his computer background to the red Cryptolocker background. The URL to the replacement Cryptolocker executable is replaced with a bit.ly link to the he-man YEAYEAYEA video in case he gets curious

And now we wait

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You virused his computer! That's entrapment!

Countdown to him blaming a lack of security protocols for him getting his fake virus.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Lareous posted:

So our phone system needs some servicing.

Except end-of-life for the system (Intertel 5000) was May 30, 2014.

Anyone have VOIP recommendations for ~30-40 users? Shortel looks kind of neat but I've heard horror stories.

Shoretel comes up often. Cisco and Microsoft both have small hosted solutions. Or keep using what you have, it will still work.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

10Mbit to 100m. It works lovely at 100m a bit. Even if it links it will take errors. Tape Cat5e to the cat 3 and pull it through.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You virused his computer! That's entrapment!

Countdown to him blaming a lack of security protocols for him getting his fake virus.

He is going to submit a ticket, on the wrong service board, direct to our first response help desk (where internal services aren't supposed to go)

And I will take the ticket, go to his office, and change his computer background to a picture of a My Little Pony.

Ticket closed. Resolution: friendship is magic

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

death .cab for qt posted:

He is going to submit a ticket, on the wrong service board, direct to our first response help desk (where internal services aren't supposed to go)

And I will take the ticket, go to his office, and change his computer background to a picture of a My Little Pony.

Ticket closed. Resolution: friendship is magic

The best way to handle this would have been to ignore the complaint about not being able to open the file, and instead replied with, "Thank you for letting us know about your admin access. This was definitely a mistake on our end, and I have gone ahead and changed your access to User as per policy. If there's anything else we can do, please let us know. :downs:"

Or maybe change his wallpaper to just a repeating image of whatever security guideline that says, "Don't open attachments you aren't expecting, moron." But then again, he's sales so he probably wouldn't notice or connect the events in his head.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Che Delilas posted:

"Thank you for letting us know about your admin access. This was definitely a mistake on our end, and I have gone ahead and changed your access to User as per policy. If there's anything else we can do, please let us know. :downs:"

I usually follow up with an apology too.
"we sincerely apologize for the access level confusion, we are working hard to prevent similar mixups in the future. "

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You guys do realize that if you make a sales guy think his computer got crypto locker, and then you 'fix' it without any repercussions for him, he's going to start advertising this ability to his clients.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Bobulus posted:

You guys do realize that if you make a sales guy think his computer got crypto locker, and then you 'fix' it without any repercussions for him, he's going to start advertising this ability to his clients.

This is a very good point. Make sure to take his laptop away for a day or so, and ask him grim questions about how good he was about saving his documents to the network.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Who said anything about a lack of repercussions? He's still going to get a ghost of Christmas future "this poo poo could have happened talk" and we'll all give him crap for it for being the one person to fall for it. He just also gets an MLP background as his badge of shame

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I usually follow up with an apology too.
"we sincerely apologize for the access level confusion, we are working hard to prevent similar mixups in the future. "

This has been a humorous topic, but if I may get Real Talky for a moment.

My last job made everyone (even me, the programmer, who never interacted with customers ever) go to a :eng101:Make your customers say Wow!:eng101: seminar thing, where they told us how to treat customers and what to say and not say to leave a lasting, positive impression in their minds.

One of the tips was to not apologize for things going wrong. Instead, thank the person and reassure them. So if you're for example a bank manager and you're down a teller and it's payday and the line is out the door with grumbling customers, don't apologize. Say something like, "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Goonbank. I'd like to personally thank all of you for your patience while you wait, and assure you that we are getting everyone taken care of as quickly and efficiently as possible. Blah blah blah we got cookies and coffee over there, blah blah blah."

The point is to make a positive statement (thanks, assurance, information) instead of a negative one (sorry, we're bad, don't be mad). It apparently makes a difference in the way people think; somebody is annoyed by a slow wait and an apology just makes them feel justified in their annoyance. Thanking them makes them feel appreciated.

So in the case of the sales guy, take away his local admin and then say something like, "Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. You're helping make everyone safer and more efficient in the workplace." Use as guileless a tone as you can. That way, even if he's mad, he thinks that you think he helped out the company and how the hell is he going to complain about that?

I mean. I know he'll complain. You just get to be smug that you are making him look like even more of an rear end for doing so.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Our IT guy just replaced our file server. he is now going to every computer and mapping the network drives by hand. 40ish computers spread out between four or five floors. Sigh.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Poor guy probably just doesn't have the guts to ask users to stop what they're doing, log off, and log back on.

I refuse to believe a guy rebuilt a file server and doesn't know group policy.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

I'm the only person here! I have no idea why he isn't just using rdp, but I guess our domain sucks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, I didn't get that job I was after. I choke up in interviews and I did so spectacularly yesterday, but at least they let me know quickly. On the plus side, I told my manager that I turned it down because he'd hinted at getting me that training I asked for and it's now being booked.

Suppose every cloud does have a silver lining :unsmith:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

CaptainJuan posted:

Our IT guy just replaced our file server. he is now going to every computer and mapping the network drives by hand. 40ish computers spread out between four or five floors. Sigh.

Yeah.... He could accomplish this with a group policy and force a GPupdate with powershell. Even if he doesn't know how to do that he could google it and figure it out in less time than manually doing it.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Yeah off the top of my head I can think of 3 easy ways to automate that, what a waste of time

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Automating mapped drives is the easiest poo poo in IT. Good lord.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

OK I take it back, I dont think he did it by hand. He used a batch file or script of some kind to do it. So he plugs in his flash drive to each computer, logs on, runs the script, logs out, next.
Still insane though

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
That would be what group policy is designed to do, thus the word group. That is ridiculous.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Hang on a minute, aren't drive mappings done on the user policy? So him logging on an mapping a drive with a batch file is only going to map it for him, the next person who logs on won't have that mapped drive.

Is this the twilight zone?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
maybe they aren't on a domain...

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZetsurinPower posted:

maybe they aren't on a domain...

He should be fired if they aren't. 5 Floors, 50 computers in a loving workgroup?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Just accepted a Desktop Support Team Lead promotion for the agency I work for. Moving from the subcontractor to the prime contractor, 40% bump in pay. My boss told me last week she was trying to get the position created, and told me she would accept it for me whether I wanted it or not. :)

In other news, my boss, who's with the prime contractor, asked me out of hand what I was making with the subcontractor (and then told me not to tell the recruiter so they wouldn't low-ball me on salary), and now realizes why she can't get good people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So to continue the saga that is the no generator outdoor festival sound system on a PA debacle. I was told to forget the whole thing! Apparently me telling them no made them angry and now they're just hiring an outside vendor. Thank the lord! No word on how he will be getting past their insane generator request. I'll let you know after I attend next Thursday.

• Locked thread