Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

if you didn't setup the server yourself, 99.999% of the time the java install will be hosed because its probably from a package manager, so copying the java bins is standard practice for deployment on Linux.

copying the jvm with ur poo poo is pretty normal.

thanks shaggar

the machine is barebones enough that there's no java on there in the first place, and i think this package is going to be the only thing living there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the most distant part of northern england is 300 miles from london

the idea that this is a serious problem for you is p. laughable from an american perspective

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unfortunately when you get a lot of components, or they depend on each other for rest/soap/xmlrpc/rmi web services, poo poo starts to get hairy. what if tomcat deploys a war in the wrong order, and one comes up before the other?

fwiw that's a huge reason why Erlang supervisors and applications have specific boot order dependencies and get synchronous supervisors. It ensures a proper order of loading/shutdown/restart for any kind of component failure or initial startup.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the idea that this is a serious problem for you is p. laughable from an american perspective

i get that he doesn't want to be in a smaller city but yeah, the drive from london to edinburgh is five hours which is still less than the distance from philly to pittsburgh alone. it's about the same as philly to boston.

nevermind the fact that you're a 1-3 hour flight away from pretty much any desirable place in europe you'd like to go to

as long as it's not in total bumfuck it's probably not a bad idea. also just out of curiosity, what is considered a good salary in london, like 55k? from what i've gathered it seems like 35k is unlivable in the same way that 60-70k is unlivable in new york

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

double sulk posted:

i get that he doesn't want to be in a smaller city but yeah, the drive from london to edinburgh is five hours which is still less than the distance from philly to pittsburgh alone. it's about the same as philly to boston.

nevermind the fact that you're a 1-3 hour flight away from pretty much any desirable place in europe you'd like to go to

as long as it's not in total bumfuck it's probably not a bad idea. also just out of curiosity, what is considered a good salary in london, like 55k? from what i've gathered it seems like 35k is unlivable in the same way that 60-70k is unlivable in new york

I make around 55k and it's like 2-3x what everyone else I know makes (except coworkers other devs who knew how to negotiate salary) and this was an effective paycut

IDK how you would live on 35k in London, have fun having 4 flatmates

35k elsewhere would be pretty ok afaict

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Malcolm XML posted:

I make around 55k and it's like 2-3x what everyone else I know makes (except coworkers other devs who knew how to negotiate salary) and this was an effective paycut

thank you for being too lazy to include currency denominations you must be a fantastic developer, you rear end in a top hat.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
take the jerb, get some experience and go to londonium in a much better position in a few years.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's way easier to get a good job if you already have a job, even if your current job is kind of sucky. you also have the luxury of waiting until a good offer comes along instead of worrying about whether there'll be another one if you don't take this.

getting a job when you're unemployed / "working on your own projects" is p. hard in comparison.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

coffeetable posted:

one seemingly-decent one: £35k in the north of England for a small biotech company. They want me to join a two-man team who're developing a research-council backed project, with a look to leading it by the end of the year.

A job with a pretty good not london salary (also where in the north, this is important), with opportunity to lead it. sounds ok.

quote:

The cons are that it's not London, it's nowhere near a good London salary, and that they probably wouldn't be offering me the position unless they were starved of decent developers.

The reason london salaries are so high is that everything is so expensive. Expect to spend £100 on travel, about £700/month on shared accommodation about a mile out of the city of london (with a 30 min commute to anywhere central), and then council tax and bills atop of that.

Most of the london jobs going are small dysfunctional startups, so you can expect a bunch of drunks and narcissists working late and working weekends, and drowning yourself every night as soon as you leave work to get home before the tube turns into a pumpkin.

quote:

The alternative is to back off for a few months and turn out another small project, and then go about applying for jobs properly, sending off hundreds of CVs every which way. Right now I'm leaning towards taking the job and staying with it for a year or so just to get some experience on my CV, then I can re-evaluate and consider a move to London. Does this seem sensible?

Alternatively, start applying for london jobs. Startups are desperate, but they're terrible places to work.

AlsoD posted:

take the jerb, get some experience and go to londonium in a much better position in a few years.

it depends where it is in the north, but somewhere like newcastle would be fun. Tiny towns like york will be less fun unless you're a student there.

Malcolm XML posted:

I live with two people who collectively make less than 35k. Somehow people survive but after 8 months working at a non profit at 35k i really like my disposable cash because otherwise how would I be able to drink to forget.

quote:

35k is plenty fine for london, you just won't get to live in a nice flat that's convenient for work, and you will find yourself going back to student life with home cooking and drinking anywhere but pubs.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
move to the us and get paid more

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ala "we think 100 miles is a long distance and you think 100 years is a long time"

The 100 miles makes a difference when no-one is likely to travel that far. unlike the fine US of A we have lower levels of car ownership, and when you live in a city, it's expensive to keep a car too. I only know one person in london who drives a car. Edinburgh-London for ex takes ~ 6+ hours on public transport, but it can take as little as 4.5 to travel via airplane (because airports aren't in the middle of the city). Throw into that you can't get late night trains and it means to go up north for a weekend requires hauling yourself up on a saturday morning and leaving on sunday evening, ~ 12 hours travel for ~ 24 hours away.

London meanwhile is a bunch of overlapping cities. I can count on one hand how many times i've made it to west london on one hand since moving here. If you move to say Morden, or Oval, or Acton, there isn't a chance in hell that people from Hackney are going to visit. You're more likely to have visitors from outside london than within it.

it isn't the distance, it's the effort, and hauling yourself across london is as frustrating as hauling yourself across the country, and we're lazy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

FamDav posted:

on moving to the us

- do you have a degree? well, wait until january next year to start the job applications, so you can get on the h1b train in april, and then move by october. note: if you end up working for a non profit, they are exempt from the cap

- alternative options: l1b (heh, good luck) or an o-1 visa (heh, good luck)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

double sulk posted:

as long as it's not in total bumfuck it's probably not a bad idea.

Malcolm XML posted:

AlsoD posted:

Jabor posted:

it's way easier to get a good job if you already have a job, even if your current job is kind of sucky. you also have the luxury of waiting until a good offer comes along instead of worrying about whether there'll be another one if you don't take this.

getting a job when you're unemployed / "working on your own projects" is p. hard in comparison.
like i said i was leaning towards it, but seeing as i have gently caress all experience + no network i've not got much to compare it against. that all your advice is pointing the same way is great.

seeing as it's friday imma take the rest of the weekend to think it over and get more opinions, but will likely accept it on monday. thanks :)

FamDav posted:

might be an option somewhere down the line, definitely isn't for now though. fingers crossed the bubble doesn't pop before i get the chance

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

People who say taxes are lower in the US are probably full of poo poo too, I lose half my paycheck before I ever see it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

coffeetable posted:

seeing as it's friday imma take the rest of the weekend to think it over and get more opinions, but will likely accept it on monday. thanks :)

more important: where in the north? if you end up in barrow in furness i'm sorry

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

People who say taxes are lower in the US are probably full of poo poo too, I lose half my paycheck before I ever see it.

i think something like 25-30% comes off of mine and it's maybe $1400.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Citizen Tayne posted:

are you a millionaire?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Stringent posted:

thank you for being too lazy to include currency denominations you must be a fantastic developer, you rear end in a top hat.

we're talkin bout London you dillweed what currency do you think it's implicitly in?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

fwiw coffeetable it sounds like a great opportunity.

having experience on the resume is really really good, the pay is great for the location, and if you get to lead and get leadership experience that's even better

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
friend talked to me about a position at his company, going to update my cv and send it to him. quitting my phd now would be incredibly premature but i would jump ship with no hesitations at an actual offer

e: for the record, i'm not even 1 year in yet

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

tef posted:

35k is plenty fine for london, you just won't get to live in a nice flat that's convenient for work, and you will find yourself going back to student life with home cooking and drinking anywhere but pubs.

i guess if u enjoy having flatmates :/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

AlsoD posted:

friend talked to me about a position at his company, going to update my cv and send it to him. quitting my phd now would be incredibly premature but i would jump ship with no hesitations at an actual offer

e: for the record, i'm not even 1 year in yet

get the consolation master's at least?

Apr 7, 2003

AlsoD posted:

are you a millionaire?

Far from it, I make $65k and I bring home about $1350-$1400 every two weeks.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

then that's why you're not seeing the tax breaks that people are talking/complaining about

Apr 7, 2003

AlsoD posted:

then that's why you're not seeing the tax breaks that people are talking about

lol

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

tef posted:

more important: where in the north? if you end up in barrow in furness i'm sorry
newcastle. the interview was the first time i visited the city and it seemed great, closer to edinburgh than to the standard british industrial city i was expecting.

(guessing barrow in furness is your home town? if so then i understand yr pain, it looks v similar to the 50k person industrial town i grew up in)

Malcolm XML posted:

fwiw coffeetable it sounds like a great opportunity.

having experience on the resume is really really good, the pay is great for the location, and if you get to lead and get leadership experience that's even better
yeah, the fact they seem desperate for people is kinda a double edged-sword: on one hand i'll probably be able to get some leadership experience, but on the other hand i likely won't be able to see good software leads at work before i have to try it myself.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

look at it this way: you get to be a newcastle fan

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Malcolm XML posted:

i guess if u enjoy having flatmates :/

yep

they're cool as gently caress and so is the catte :3:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i lived with strangers originally (they were pretty cool, but not as cool), and i know the new ones from before.

although it was a bit weird having an embedded journalist living there for a week to write about them

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

tef posted:

i lived with strangers originally (they were pretty cool, but not as cool), and i know the new ones from before.

although it was a bit weird having an embedded journalist living there for a week to write about them

i've lived with new people each year for the last 4-5 years now, never complete strangers but usually friend-of-a-friends that i don't know very well. it's not so bad.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
yep

i live with people i've known for a year or so on the edge of my circles.

they run massive indie game events world wide, so occasionally some cool as gently caress people will be sleeping on the couch.

and did i mention the cat

the cat is awesome

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

roommates are literally the worst

enjoy having to wear clothes in you own home

lmao

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

coffeetable posted:

newcastle. the interview was the first time i visited the city and it seemed great, closer to edinburgh than to the standard british industrial city i was expecting.

newcastle has a nightlife and it's kinda fun.

quote:

(guessing barrow in furness is your home town? if so then i understand yr pain, it looks v similar to the 50k person industrial town i grew up in)

no it's just the worst place in the world

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Bloody posted:

lmao

oh i forgot the pos is full of people who should probably not live with other people

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

tef posted:

on moving to the us

- do you have a degree? well, wait until january next year to start the job applications, so you can get on the h1b train in april, and then move by october. note: if you end up working for a non profit, they are exempt from the cap

- alternative options: l1b (heh, good luck) or an o-1 visa (heh, good luck)

Other option: F-1 visa. You have to pay for grad school, but between that and 29 months of work after graduation you've got an easy 4-5 years to meet and marry an American. And if you land an EB-2 eligible position, it's even possible to get a green card before the F-1 expires and dodge the H1-B fun entirely.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Bloody posted:

lmao

Lmfao if you let roomates shame you into not going au naturale. gently caress beta human being.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

my roommates are loving rad. living with people is v nice if they're good people

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pointers posted:

my roommates are loving rad. living with people is v nice if they're good people

agreed but once you have your own place it's difficult to go back

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

agreed but once you have your own place it's difficult to go back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
except that I can't pay the mortgage on my own place without tenants