Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can't wait to hear how the outside vendor quits the day before and then they say you have to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Was the contractor they hired a literal wizard? If not, they're probably gonna be disappointed.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can't wait until you show up and there's a loud loving generator there connected to a projector that you can't see poo poo on.

They'll probably pat him on the back and then chastise you for not thinking of it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

m.hache posted:

Can't wait until you show up and there's a loud loving generator there connected to a projector that you can't see poo poo on.

They'll probably pat him on the back and then chastise you for not thinking of it.

A loud generator 300 yards away with 4 lines of extension cords, each with 6 cords daisy chained together. "It's practically silent!" they'll say as the fire closes in behind the washed out projector screen.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

m.hache posted:

He should be fired if they aren't. 5 Floors, 50 computers in a loving workgroup?

Unless the following extremely likely conversation took place.

"Boss we should be on a domain. I'll need x dollars for equipment and software. "

"No. What we have works fine."

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

Unless the following extremely likely conversation took place.

"Boss we should be on a domain. I'll need x dollars for equipment and software. "

"No. What we have works fine."

It bothers me that a company that can grow big enough to warrant 50 computers in a 5 story building can't front a few grand for a server. I really hope something like that doesn't exist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

m.hache posted:

It bothers me that a company that can grow big enough to warrant 50 computers in a 5 story building can't front a few grand for a server. I really hope something like that doesn't exist.

It makes sense when that same few grand can buy sweet furniture for the 'C' level types.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It makes sense when that same few grand can buy sweet furniture for the 'C' level types.

Or a 50" TV so we can run the same 3 "promotional" pictures for the staff to see (And never turn the drat thing on).

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So to continue the saga that is the no generator outdoor festival sound system on a PA debacle. I was told to forget the whole thing! Apparently me telling them no made them angry and now they're just hiring an outside vendor. Thank the lord! No word on how he will be getting past their insane generator request. I'll let you know after I attend next Thursday.

Oh, that's easy. It's still a generator, they've just kludged in some Active Noise Cancelling into the PA.

I've no idea how to bullshit the video aspect, however. Projection-onto-a-cloud-via-fog-machine, maybe?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And then it loving rains, fingers crossed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Print the slides onto billboard-sized sheets, then make a flipboard of it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Live action, duh

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

Live action, duh

"I Would like to thank Maplewood Middleschool for the riveting presentation on 'How to optimize profits in 5 easy steps'".

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
A ticket(well, contact form) went out yesterday, from me to Samsung. My phone's battery is showing signs of swelling and generally acting up, and the phone's a bit over a year old. Doesn't look like normal behaviour but over here batteries seem to have a 6 month warranty tops. So I decided to see what they were gonna do about it, and submitted a ticket.

Got a reply today asking for my address and a few serial numbers so they can send out a new battery for free. I cannot respond to the mail directly but I could enter a followup question without having to enter a new contact form.

The reply field gave me an error message saying it was limited to 13 characters. Reducing the reply to the minimal amount of required information gave the same helpful message.

I ended up typing my response in a text file, attaching it to the reply(Up to 5 attachments, recommended limit of up to 10MB each) and entering "see attachment" as reply.

No error message this time, even though it's over 13 characters.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Smoke posted:

A ticket(well, contact form) went out yesterday, from me to Samsung. My phone's battery is showing signs of swelling and generally acting up, and the phone's a bit over a year old. Doesn't look like normal behaviour but over here batteries seem to have a 6 month warranty tops. So I decided to see what they were gonna do about it, and submitted a ticket.

Common problem I believe, a bloke at work had the same problem. He said that support had told him it was not unusual.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

HalloKitty posted:

Common problem I believe, a bloke at work had the same problem. He said that support had told him it was not unusual.

Yup. I've had the same on my SGS4 in the UK. I was directed by Samsung to a local repair place who literally just took my old battery, took one look at it and gave me a new one on the spot.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

death .cab for qt posted:

Who said anything about a lack of repercussions? He's still going to get a ghost of Christmas future "this poo poo could have happened talk" and we'll all give him crap for it for being the one person to fall for it. He just also gets an MLP background as his badge of shame

Don't forget to modify the registry key that allows him to change the wallpaper, as a little extra punishment :v:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
The group in charge of our internal redhat repos built some new servers and used puppet to change the entire farm over to them.

Due to some kind of network problem, about 10% of the servers in one datacenter (multiple DC's are affected, but I only have concrete numbers in one DC) cannot get to these new servers.

the group in charge of them basically told me, "well 90% of them work fine, the other 10% arent our problem because our firewalls allow it. It must be a customer problem, I'm not sure what you want me to do."

Remember CVE-2014-0195 was fixed by redhat yesterday, so it's not like it's important or anything.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

CaptainJuan posted:

OK I take it back, I dont think he did it by hand. He used a batch file or script of some kind to do it. So he plugs in his flash drive to each computer, logs on, runs the script, logs out, next.
Still insane though

"How do i look busy while not actually doing any real work today...."

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Partycat posted:

Shoretel comes up often. Cisco and Microsoft both have small hosted solutions. Or keep using what you have, it will still work.

Problem with this is that we need additional IP phone licenses. We have 3 now and we need....well 6 really. And we can't buy them anymore.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This morning I had a user who already runs at 800x600 with large fonts complain again about her fonts being too small, then immediately transition into telling me how good her vision is and how she doesn't need glasses. Is there some kind of Dunning-Kruger effect with people like that, or just plain old denial?

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So to continue the saga that is the no generator outdoor festival sound system on a PA debacle. I was told to forget the whole thing! Apparently me telling them no made them angry and now they're just hiring an outside vendor. Thank the lord! No word on how he will be getting past their insane generator request. I'll let you know after I attend next Thursday.

So the contractor buys one of those home depot/lowes outdoor shacks, slaps that sucker on top of some six or eight foot poles. Builds a stair case up to it, cuts out a couple of holes in the side wall and installs a reverse projector screen and a sweat box for the commentator. Mounts the projector to the ceiling of the shack, bolts down a small generator to the floor and connects it to a power strip. He'll then mount the PA sound system and affix the needed gear in the commentator box. He'll add some siren lights up on the roof, and finally paint the whole thing in the school colors with metallic fleck paint.

^^ She's right, she needs to get contacts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Knormal posted:

This morning I had a user who already runs at 800x600 with large fonts complain again about her fonts being too small, then immediately transition into telling me how good her vision is and how she doesn't need glasses. Is there some kind of Dunning-Kruger effect with people like that, or just plain old denial?

She just wants a new 27" monitor. Why didn't you bring one??

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Ticket Resolved: Pushed users chair closer to monitor.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

I think you meant 17", but I'm sure even that's too large.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haven't posted in this thread since taking my new job almost a year ago :toot: But lately one of the senior devs has really been annoying me. We work, we have a handful of development environments, each one replicating the prod environment more closely than the previous. We did an update for the same environment earlier this week, and again today with some fixes that were discovered earlier in the week. Senior dev just IM'd me:

"Hey did you check your changes for DEV2?"
"I did earlier this week during the first build, I didn't have anything going into the second update today. Do you need me to do them again?"
"You already tested DEV2?"

So now I'm questioning whether it was a DEV1 or DEV2 build earlier this week, dig through some emails and remember a few key details.

"Yea, I just checked XXX and also I remember having to do YYYY, so it must have been DEV2 I did."
"So you tested DEV2?"

YES. gently caress.

I don't know if it's because one's tone is lost over chat instead of voice, or if it's me being un-confident in literally everything I do, or what, but I feel like this guy always has a condescending tone or trying to mess me up. Not necessarily condescending in this excerpt, but the just the latest thing to irritate me and question my sanity. Wanted to know if you guys think I'm just misreading things and being overly sensitive, or what.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I don't know if it's because one's tone is lost over chat instead of voice, or if it's me being un-confident in literally everything I do, or what, but I feel like this guy always has a condescending tone or trying to mess me up. Not necessarily condescending in this excerpt, but the just the latest thing to irritate me and question my sanity. Wanted to know if you guys think I'm just misreading things and being overly sensitive, or what.

My boss (with whom I share an office) does this too, in person. I chalk it up as him being really attentive to detail. Plus, he's a guy (and I am too), so if there are any hurt feelings, we're likely to forget about it after a couple of hours anyway.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

anthonypants posted:

I think you meant 17",

Why on earth would you think that?

J
Jun 10, 2001

BaseballPCHiker posted:

:allears:

Man I can't wait to hear about this.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So they got so mad at you for telling the truth that they hired a contractor? Sounds like a win/win to me.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

nielsm posted:

I've suggested to her before she needs a bigger monitor, that I can't just get her one but if she gets a doctor's note they'll have no choice but to give us the funds to buy her one. But nope, her current monitor's fine, it just needs to be able to make everything bigger somehow. :psyduck:

For the record it's a 19", so it is on the small side, but everyone else in her building has the same kind and somehow manages to see it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Knormal posted:

I've suggested to her before she needs a bigger monitor, that I can't just get her one but if she gets a doctor's note they'll have no choice but to give us the funds to buy her one. But nope, her current monitor's fine, it just needs to be able to make everything bigger somehow. :psyduck:

For the record it's a 19", so it is on the small side, but everyone else in her building has the same kind and somehow manages to see it.

running that low a res on an 19" monitor.. I don't know how she does that, that would give me headaches.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Wanted to know if you guys think I'm just misreading things and being overly sensitive, or what.

Just answer "yes" or "no".

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

nitrogen posted:

The group in charge of our internal redhat repos built some new servers and used puppet to change the entire farm over to them.

Due to some kind of network problem, about 10% of the servers in one datacenter (multiple DC's are affected, but I only have concrete numbers in one DC) cannot get to these new servers.

the group in charge of them basically told me, "well 90% of them work fine, the other 10% arent our problem because our firewalls allow it. It must be a customer problem, I'm not sure what you want me to do."

Remember CVE-2014-0195 was fixed by redhat yesterday, so it's not like it's important or anything.

Just scp the latest openssl and openssl-devel RPMs from the appropriate repo server(s) to your workstation or jump box or whatever and then copy them to the client machines and yum localinstall the RPMs. Bit of a pain, but I've done it before when I had to do patches while waiting for firewall changes to be made.

As for a long-term solution, you're probably going to have to fix whatever's wrong on the client machines (routing tables, iptables, etc.), or do some tcpdumps to prove to the network folks that it's something in the network blocking your connections.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Knormal posted:

No problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

*Conversation with Sheldon-esque boss*

My boss is just like that. Will only accept a bare yes or no to a question like that. Any extra data ruins the answer and results in the question being repeated in a more aggravated tone of voice.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sab669 posted:

Haven't posted in this thread since taking my new job almost a year ago :toot: But lately one of the senior devs has really been annoying me. We work, we have a handful of development environments, each one replicating the prod environment more closely than the previous. We did an update for the same environment earlier this week, and again today with some fixes that were discovered earlier in the week. Senior dev just IM'd me:

"Hey did you check your changes for DEV2?"
"I did earlier this week during the first build, I didn't have anything going into the second update today. Do you need me to do them again?"
"You already tested DEV2?"

So now I'm questioning whether it was a DEV1 or DEV2 build earlier this week, dig through some emails and remember a few key details.

"Yea, I just checked XXX and also I remember having to do YYYY, so it must have been DEV2 I did."
"So you tested DEV2?"

YES. gently caress.

I have no idea about your situation and I'm probably leaning towards your side (but we only have your side of it, we don't know how he feels) but here's a counterpoint in favour of his behaviour:

Maybe he's just as frustrated at you for not giving a straight answer or for making the responses complicated, are you actually telling him yes or no straight up with the information or are you telling a story that you think is providing him an answer. It may end up less frustrating for both of you if you give a plain yes or no first and then provide a short and to the point explanation if needed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had to decommission the network at a location that's getting renovated. All the pavement's torn up, walls blown out, the works. The amount of dirt and construction dust on the equipment was amazing. Horrible brown dirt rings around every intake. I pulled a switch, router and UPS out of there and I have to imagine their lives have been drastically shortened from inhaling what appeared to be cocoa powder the last few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

[...] that would give me headaches.

Dude... was today your last day?

• Locked thread