Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DannoMack posted:

Do you guys tend to play with scouting on or true ratings?

I traditionally was No Scouts, No Coaches. Buuuuut I'm starting to come around to scouting slowly, only because it means you don't know how good every player in the known universe is at all times. Some people play with stats only(!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I play with scouting because it's kind of fun for their to be some randomness.

Also, I would just like to say that OOTP is the best, and I'm terrified to get 15 on steam because I really don't want to know how much time I've spent on the game.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
With the release of OOTP15, I figure it's as good a time as any to remind everybody that there is no substitute for a good Online league. After you spend hundreds of hours trying to find the right coach/scout/league settings that handicap you enough to make playing with the AI an actual challenge, it still won't be as fun as playing alongside other human GMs.

So if anybody's interested, I have spots available in a pretty young promotion/relegation league that I run: http://buane.net/britannica/index.html

The league currently uses OOTP14, so actually anybody that only has OOTP15 would be out of luck. However with some of the OOTP15 features I've read about we could be looking at upgrading sometime in July (OOTP typically has a 50% off sale that coincides with the All-Star Break, and that's usually enough time for the Dev team to squash the bugs they couldn't get to in Beta).

Plenty of goons already in my leagues, so why not come watch your prospects bust and your star pitchers blow out their elbows amongst friends?

laceratedsky
Aug 29, 2007

Buane posted:

With the release of OOTP15, I figure it's as good a time as any to remind everybody that there is no substitute for a good Online league. After you spend hundreds of hours trying to find the right coach/scout/league settings that handicap you enough to make playing with the AI an actual challenge, it still won't be as fun as playing alongside other human GMs.

So if anybody's interested, I have spots available in a pretty young promotion/relegation league that I run: http://buane.net/britannica/index.html

The league currently uses OOTP14, so actually anybody that only has OOTP15 would be out of luck. However with some of the OOTP15 features I've read about we could be looking at upgrading sometime in July (OOTP typically has a 50% off sale that coincides with the All-Star Break, and that's usually enough time for the Dev team to squash the bugs they couldn't get to in Beta).

Plenty of goons already in my leagues, so why not come watch your prospects bust and your star pitchers blow out their elbows amongst friends?

I'm interested in doing this, however, I am pretty new to OOTP overall. I own OOTP14 on Steam, but I wouldn't say I'm exactly setting the world on fire. Would this just end up spelling disaster for me in this league?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

laceratedsky posted:

I'm interested in doing this, however, I am pretty new to OOTP overall. I own OOTP14 on Steam, but I wouldn't say I'm exactly setting the world on fire. Would this just end up spelling disaster for me in this league?

It's completely up to you. I'm talking about teams that don't have a GM currently, so it's not like you'd be stepping in and wrecking anything. They're pretty rudderless already. The available teams are in either the mid tier or bottom tier as well (promotion/relegation league, so teams potentially move up/down after each season) so you aren't competing against the cream of the crop right off the bat either.

The time requirements are pretty low too so it's not something you'd find yourself in over your head with - we sim on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, so you only need to put maybe 15-30 minutes of effort in every two days at a minimum. Maybe a bit more than that at certain periods of the offseason, but still nothing major. And if you're like some of us, you're free to spend all your spare time at work mulling over different permutations of your lineup.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Buane posted:

It's completely up to you. I'm talking about teams that don't have a GM currently, so it's not like you'd be stepping in and wrecking anything. They're pretty rudderless already. The available teams are in either the mid tier or bottom tier as well (promotion/relegation league, so teams potentially move up/down after each season) so you aren't competing against the cream of the crop right off the bat either.

The time requirements are pretty low too so it's not something you'd find yourself in over your head with - we sim on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, so you only need to put maybe 15-30 minutes of effort in every two days at a minimum. Maybe a bit more than that at certain periods of the offseason, but still nothing major. And if you're like some of us, you're free to spend all your spare time at work mulling over different permutations of your lineup.

I might actually want to get in on this too, because obviously I'm not spending enough of my free time on fake baseball. I'll czech it out when I get home from work today

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

So I decided once again to start up a Minnesota Twins franchise to see if I could duplicate my mind-boggling success of turning them from Basement dwellers in 2012 to 2014 WS Champions.

I decide Mr. Drew would be a nice addition to my team seeing how I'm trotting out the world's worst platoon of Florimon and Escobar at shortstop.

3 games in, Drew gets hurt for 6 weeks. What a wonderful start to my campaign. :negative: I suppose it could be worse...

This game is depressing sometimes.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 26, 2014

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers
I started playing iOOTP recently and am in year 2 of a fictional league set in 1980. Starting with completely fake players is a challenge so the first year was primarily about getting to know my team. Now that I'm a decent way through year 2 I think I have a good idea what a lot of my players are except one guy. If a player is all OBP and no SLG or AVG, what's the cutoff on his OBP before he's hurting my lineup?

This guy could walk 150 times this season but any hitting from 79' is gonzo. Power on my team as a whole evaporated (cocaine issues) but when does an all OBP guy like this become useless? Although ideally I'd like Mr. James to hit a ball now and then, if I've got other guys to knock him in is it alright to ignore any semblance of hitting or slugging?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

An above-average defensive 2B doesn't have to bring a ton of offense, and getting on base at over a .400 clip is pretty awesome for the position. I looked up Roberto Alomar & despite having a career .300 average he only cleared .400 OBP five times in sixteen years.

He's not useless until his legs give out; once he can't go first-to-third on a solid hit to the outfield, or he can't field 2B as well, that's the time for him to go.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers
That's my thinking. My only concern is the walks not really translating to runs but I'm not sure if that's on him or the lineup. It's difficult figuring if guys are in slumps or are just bad with no history to back it up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

So I decided once again to start up a Minnesota Twins franchise to see if I could duplicate my mind-boggling success of turning them from Basement dwellers in 2012 to 2014 WS Champions.

I decide Mr. Drew would be a nice addition to my team seeing how I'm trotting out the world's worst platoon of Florimon and Escobar at shortstop.

3 games in, Drew gets hurt for 6 weeks. What a wonderful start to my campaign. :negative: I suppose it could be worse...

This game is depressing sometimes.

I won 98 games in 2015 without Buxton, there's your benchmark :cool: I lost in the LCS though :(

Also, OOTP15 is on steam now and you can get it for 10% off until May 1st if you didn't buy it already.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I have been casually playing ootp 14. Is there enough changes and updates for me to purchase 15?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

NiknudStunod posted:

I have been casually playing ootp 14. Is there enough changes and updates for me to purchase 15?

The core of the game hasn't significantly changed. I feel like the best new features are that it's easier to create leagues with different teams from different eras, the game now has the ability to customize your dashboard in any given game (so you don't have to constantly change screens to find different reports you commonly use) and you can now set ratings to scale for any given league so it's easy to see what's average.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How do you guys compensate for seemingly random talent change with the default settings? I turn down batter/pitcher rating decline from 1 to something like .70-.80, which seems to be okay in stabilizing their stats and whatnot. I play with no scout/no coaching so it should be real values all the time. Jose Abreu in his first MLB season hit 38 HR/120 RBI, with a .280/.340/.600 slash line. His ratings pre-2014 (scale 1-10) were like 7/7/9/5/4. At the end of the season, they ended up being 6/6/7/5/3. Shouldn't his good performance have stabilized his ratings or was he hit by the ratings randomness stick?

How do you guys feel about stats dictating ratings in the options? (Isn't there an option for that to recalc based off real stats?)

How do you get the most accurate ratings based off stats/least amount of randomness. I like random talent changes for prospects, but can be somewhat annoying with ML guys. I've noticed this a lot more since OOTP11. Young players have a hard time remaining stable over 3-5 years. The talent randomness seems to hit younger players first.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The UI improvements are substantial and the relative ratings are awesome. If you play it fairly regularly I'd say yeah, buy it now. If you only play every once and a while you can probably wait for the normal price drop around the all-star break.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Harlock posted:

How do you guys compensate for seemingly random talent change with the default settings? I turn down batter/pitcher rating decline from 1 to something like .70-.80, which seems to be okay in stabilizing their stats and whatnot. I play with no scout/no coaching so it should be real values all the time. Jose Abreu in his first MLB season hit 38 HR/120 RBI, with a .280/.340/.600 slash line. His ratings pre-2014 (scale 1-10) were like 7/7/9/5/4. At the end of the season, they ended up being 6/6/7/5/3. Shouldn't his good performance have stabilized his ratings or was he hit by the ratings randomness stick?

The only thing I can think of is that you have "rate by position" enabled & some other players at his position got a lot better such that his 7/7/9/5/4 "re-rates" to 6/6/7/5/3 as a result.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Yeah, those rating changes are why I ultimately have never stuck with OOTP.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
what the

OOTP 14 posted:

Harper Sees Game Improvements Due to Adoption of Buddhism

While typically a change of religion wouldn't be hot news, the improvements that Bryce Harper has made on the field seem to be directly related to his offseason conversion. "I don't know what it is," said Harper, "but since I converted, I noticed that it is easier to relax and concentrate. I can really focus on the ball and keep my cool." Washington Nationals manager Davey Johnson agrees. "This guy is a whole new guy. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. He went from kind of a hothead to cool as a cucumber."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I hope life imitates video games in this case.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

laceratedsky posted:

gardenald posted:

I might actually want to get in on this too, because obviously I'm not spending enough of my free time on fake baseball. I'll czech it out when I get home from work today

If you guys, or anybody else, is interested in joining the league just shoot me a PM or email GMYale atsymbol gmail period com

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Does anybody ever use the "send to minors for rehab stint" in OOTP 15?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CancerStick posted:

Does anybody ever use the "send to minors for rehab stint" in OOTP 15?

I do if I want to keep someone on the roster, and it helps me stall on sending someone down/gives me time to trade someone.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

IcePhoenix posted:

I do if I want to keep someone on the roster, and it helps me stall on sending someone down/gives me time to trade someone.

Yeah I do it to stall for roster space

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

God I love this game.

edit: Three of my rotation is out injured at once! This game is BS!

Actually better than real life, because they'll heal up over the off season instead of missing game time

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 20, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Buane posted:

If you guys, or anybody else, is interested in joining the league just shoot me a PM or email GMYale atsymbol gmail period com

Gotta rep the brittanica league, its fun and very simple for noobies.

Butane, if you see this, please email me the league files to my username at gmail. For some reason I can't login to simcentral without error, so if you ever responded there I never saw it. Would love to get the files before free agency :(

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

JosefStalinator posted:

Gotta rep the brittanica league, its fun and very simple for noobies.

Butane, if you see this, please email me the league files to my username at gmail. For some reason I can't login to simcentral without error, so if you ever responded there I never saw it. Would love to get the files before free agency :(

Made it with 24 hours to spare.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Just a heads up: MLB contacted the developers of OOTP and asked they take team nicknames out of the game, so the latest patch (3.1.something) will fix bugs, add some 3D stuff, and take out team names. Apparently this also applies to minor league teams as well.

I imagine the modding community will try to find a way to work around this, but for now you are stuck manually editing the names yourself. Some good news is that it doesn't apply to saved games, just new ones.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Faltese Malkin posted:

Just a heads up: MLB contacted the developers of OOTP and asked they take team nicknames out of the game, so the latest patch (3.1.something) will fix bugs, add some 3D stuff, and take out team names. Apparently this also applies to minor league teams as well.

I imagine the modding community will try to find a way to work around this, but for now you are stuck manually editing the names yourself. Some good news is that it doesn't apply to saved games, just new ones.

Just hit randomize team names a few times, you might be lucky. Really try it!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Faltese Malkin posted:

I was surprised they had the team names in there to begin with. The court ruling from a few years back allowed them to use player names and stats, but team nicknames/logos/etc. are still trademarks of their respective teams. I don't know why they ever thought they could use that.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

GaussianCopula posted:

Just hit randomize team names a few times, you might be lucky. Really try it!

Am I mistaken, or does this still leave you needing to manually fix logos and unis etc.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mornacale posted:

Am I mistaken, or does this still leave you needing to manually fix logos and unis etc.

You already have to do that, none of these are in by default

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
There's nothing preventing you from downloading a mod with the MLB names and all, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

There's nothing preventing you from downloading a mod with the MLB names and all, right?

I would assume you will be able to since you can download mods with actual team logos and uniforms from OOTP's mod central (I think that's the name of it?) already.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, the all in one mod had everything, I was just making sure they didn't make them take it down.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What the hell should I do with this guy? This is probably the weirdest skill set I've ever seen in the game.

He's on pace for a 3 WAR season....with a .480 OPS. My manager has him leading off. With a .213 OBP. He's been on base 36 times and has stolen 23 bases.

I don't even know.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's like a rich man's Billy Hamilton!

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

OOTP WAR is pretty much a made-up stand-in for Real World WAR, and while it does an ok job at 'faking it' for the most part, I wouldn't really put a lot of faith into it when it comes to extreme outlier cases like that.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

bewbies posted:

What the hell should I do with this guy? This is probably the weirdest skill set I've ever seen in the game.

He's on pace for a 3 WAR season....with a .480 OPS. My manager has him leading off. With a .213 OBP. He's been on base 36 times and has stolen 23 bases.

I don't even know.

That dude is the best and I would bat him 9th and have him try to bunt for a hit like 60% of the time

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My manager won't use any of my great OBP guys in leadoff, should I just remove the option to play Mr Beck at all? I'm starting to think trade...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think if you go into player strategy there's a setting to force a guy into a certain lineup spot.

• Locked thread