Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Manatee Cannon posted:

Aw, poo poo. I got to the Crystal Caves and am now realizing the folly of trying to play offline. I forgot all about this bullshit. I lost about 30k souls, which isn't a huge deal but it was a level up if I'd got back to a bonfire. Worse though is the 39 liquid humanity I'd accumulated throughout the playthrough. Went so long without losing my bloodstain, but man gently caress Crystal Cave. Maybe I should try and find my GFWL log in after all.

At least prism stones are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sector_corrector posted:

I just killed Priscilla for the first time.

I'd call you a monster but, as I've long since learned, every player of Dark Souls (including myself) is a monster whether we intend to be or not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, it's just so tedious though. :( I miss following the messages, they (almost) never steered me wrong.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'd call you a monster, but as I've long since learned, every player of Dark Souls (including myself) is a monster whether we intend to be or not.

Furries must die.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Genocyber posted:

Furries must die.

I already killed Ornstein!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Today I learned that the Dragon's Tooth takes resins. So did the Four Kings.

I also found a safe spot near the left side of Seath the first time you encounter him that prevents damage from his attacks. Too bad he's immortal at the time because it would have been the best way to cheese the fight.

I always feel terrible for killing the weeping pisacas but I feel like I'm doing them a favor.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, it's just so tedious though. :( I miss following the messages, they (almost) never steered me wrong.
Generally just look at how the messages are placed, and try to think of an imaginary path from their graphical boundaries, i.e.
EdfhgfdgE
RgdfggR
TdfgT

Check where the "E" would be and try to align it like a straight bridge, it's what I usually do and I rarely die on the bridges - if you're already doing that sorry for wasting your time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't see messages, I'm playing offline because I don't remember my GFWL log in. It's either start a rave in the cave (:v:) or go blind and pray.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Watching the snowflakes also helps.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can't see messages, I'm playing offline because I don't remember my GFWL log in. It's either start a rave in the cave (:v:) or go blind and pray.
IIRC there are Dev messages. Especially the one after the first Gold MegaGolem, that says to watch out for a fall.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You were right there's a couple. It wasn't as bad as I remember, only two you actually need to go down and they're both a straight line. That being said, gently caress Seath and his stupid tail. He actually killed me twice because I could not for the life of me figure out where to hit the tail to break it. Once I got it killing him was easy but man, I don't actually miss tail weapons whatsoever in Dark Souls 2.

I actually had every dragon scale you get in the world but the crow trade one on hand already, and I had the egg vermifuge on hand so I upgraded the Moonlight Greatsword to +5 right away. It's really weird after the Zweihander, this'll take a lot of getting used to I think. The damage is a bit disappointing as well, but I only have 35 magic right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've avoided covenants so far since they punish you for leaving, but having a look it seems I should join the way of white to lower chances of being invaded. Looking at the others Forest Hunters seems good so I can access Shiva to buy the Demon Great Machete and the Chaos Servants for pyromancy and the shortcut to Lost Izalith. Do I need to look at any others when I don't plan on doing PVP?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Sunbro covenant gives you a unique priest spell where you throw lightning like Gwyn does in the intro.

It's pretty badass.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It also requires 50 Faith. :ssh: If that's not how you've set your character up it's useless due to the huge stat requirement. Warriors of the Sun is great though, it's basically the boss fight covenant. You are rewarded for helping people kill bosses.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Manatee Cannon posted:

It also requires 50 Faith. :ssh: If that's not how you've set your character up it's useless due to the huge stat requirement. Warriors of the Sun is great though, it's basically the boss fight covenant. You are rewarded for helping people kill bosses.

I believe it takes 5 points less faith to join, for every time you have helped someone defeat a boss. To a maximum/minimum of 10 to join?

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

I believe it takes 5 points less faith to join, for every time you have helped someone defeat a boss. To a maximum/minimum of 10 to join?

I just joined that covenant the last time I played, and this is correct. However, you'll still need the faith stat to use the miracles you get (20 for the lightning throw, for example).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Downs Duck posted:

Sunlight Spear requires 50 faith, not the covenant. It also requires the soul of the final boss and Great Lightning Spear. You need 25 to join the covenant at base and yes, the requirement is lowered by 5 per boss you help kill.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I loved Lightning/Great Lightning Spear in my last playthrough and thought Lightning Spear was worth the 20 Faith to snag this playthrough. If you use miracles at all you should check the Covenant out, you get the basic one just for signing on and it's pretty easy to get the 10 coins to get the Greater spear too. Hell, Lautrec gives you one and you get more from sunbroing bosses with Solaire even.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I used them a lot in DS2 so avoiding miracles and sorceries this time around, aside from maybe Light for the tomb of giants or whichever the dark place is. Although I see I get some hat that casts it automatically as part of the Chaos Servents or something

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can also check for the snowflakes that fall on the invisible paths.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

God damned, is there a way to parry the broadsword knights? I can't figure out when to press the parry button and end up thrown up in the air/curbstomped to hell and back.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

double nine posted:

God damned, is there a way to parry the broadsword knights? I can't figure out when to press the parry button and end up thrown up in the air/curbstomped to hell and back.
Who do you mean by broadsword knights? The Black Knights with Greatswords?
Generally you can parry everything that is your size or a bit larger. And you generally have to press the button later then you think.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Who do you mean by broadsword knights? The Black Knights with Greatswords?
Generally you can parry everything that is your size or a bit larger. And you generally have to press the button later then you think.

I meant greatswords, yes. Like the one near the undead burg bridge.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

double nine posted:

I meant greatswords, yes. Like the one near the undead burg bridge.
You can parry them. But if you're still getting the hang of the timing and can't really survive getting hit by them, it's probably a smarter idea to just go for backstabs.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

Try to pretend you are trying to knock away their arm with your shield instead of trying to block their sword.

The timing of the arm is easier to go by than the blade.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I might make a Faith character at some point. I hope co-op is still active enough to Sun Bro. What's the best starting class for a faith build?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

I think I might make a Faith character at some point. I hope co-op is still active enough to Sun Bro. What's the best starting class for a faith build?
Try Cleric if you want for that boost in Faith, I always go with Thief or Pyromancer though.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I actually had every dragon scale you get in the world but the crow trade one on hand already, and I had the egg vermifuge on hand so I upgraded the Moonlight Greatsword to +5 right away. It's really weird after the Zweihander, this'll take a lot of getting used to I think. The damage is a bit disappointing as well, but I only have 35 magic right now.
Yeah what sucks about Seath's tail is that you pretty much have to hit the tip or a bit below the tip to cut the drat thing off, it is pretty infuriating. Get your INT to 55+ and you'll love the MLGS.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A question: I just had a weird situation where I just re-humanized and kindled the bonfire. When I left the tower with the bonfire, a fog door appeared in front of the bonfire and blocked me from accessing the bonfire area. Is this an early warning that I'm going to be invaded?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It means that the game's trying to establish a multiplayer connection, for any given reason.

Not necessarily succeeding.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

double nine posted:

A question: I just had a weird situation where I just re-humanized and kindled the bonfire. When I left the tower with the bonfire, a fog door appeared in front of the bonfire and blocked me from accessing the bonfire area. Is this an early warning that I'm going to be invaded?

Usually, yes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Usually, yes.

Good thing I quit then.

edit: now that i think about it, is it possible and are there penalties for quitting the game the moment someone invades you? Getting a little tired of being killed by guys in high-level gear and far better (lag-adjusted) skills than I have.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 6, 2014

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
-I'm starting New-Londo. How long do transient cuses last?

-My Claymore is +10. How can I further enhance it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ZergFluid posted:

-I'm starting New-Londo. How long do transient cuses last?

-My Claymore is +10. How can I further enhance it?

Transient curses last a few minutes. I think it's around 5? I like having them in my item slot so I can see when they're able to be used again, which is the cue that it's run out. You can go up to +15 using an ember you can find right in New Londo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you're having trouble in the Crystal Caves, do the DLC first and buy Gough's carvings. They'll smash on the invisible floors and you can I'M, SORRY... your way to Seath. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

Oops.

I swear, i'll update the tool when they finally patch the game to get rid of GfWL.

Eh, i got off my lazy rear end and did it right now.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ph9hbqdrcpgebx/DSSE.zip

This version should work with the current Dark Souls. If not, bother me about it.

(It's a tool that prevents your Summon Sign from disappearing, so you can lay down a sign at the Parish and go farm moss in Darkroot or whatever. More coop chances.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

double nine posted:

Good thing I quit then.

edit: now that i think about it, is it possible and are there penalties for quitting the game the moment someone invades you? Getting a little tired of being killed by guys in high-level gear and far better (lag-adjusted) skills than I have.

If they've actually successfully invaded (complete with message), you can't in-game quit, though you can still alt-F4 out. That said, I don't recommend it.

(NB if you move on to DS2 that the game punishes you for alt-F4ing out of invasions, by cutting you off from all online content on that character. You can restore it, but it's kind of a pain. Best just not to alt-F4 in DS2.)

My recommendation, if you're not confident, is just to get somewhere that your bloodstain will be easily retrievable, try your best to win, and if you lose, gracefully eat the death. If you die in PvP you have a grace period before you can be invaded again. That said, turn on DSFix's save backup thing, just in case you get screwed over by some hacking invader who, like, curse-egghead-dragonbodies you.

If, however, you haven't actually gotten the invasion message and you've only had the bonfire go out and the fog walls go up? You can still quit just fine. Furthermore, quitting to the menu and reloading your character, thanks to GFWL's lovely netcode, means it'll be a while before anyone's able to connect to you again to attempt to invade. If you don't mind quitting and reloading every few minutes, you can quite safely run around while human in an area where you haven't yet beaten the boss.

Granted, doing that will have exactly the same effect on co-op, so don't expect to summon anyone or be summoned either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've been invaded once so far and drat the person was dumb. Walked into the jumping Zweihander attack then walked into 3 strong attacks in a row that killed him. I'm not particularly keen on the Zweihander's weak attack but that vertical attack is really useful. I might give the Claymore a try as soon as I can level it a bit

Especially as a Claymore would let me use a great shield and all heavy armour

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 6, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
My first time in Oolacile someone invaded and dropped some Humanity. I guess he wanted to fight but make up for it if he killed me. Nice guy.

Another time I was at the archers in Anor Londo and an invader spawned. He walked over to the bridge and waited for me. I couldn't tell if he was being helpful or not but eventually I followed.

He kicked me off before I even knew what was happening. Funniest thing to happen to me in the game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I've been invaded once so far and drat the person was dumb. Walked into the jumping Zweihander attack then walked into 3 strong attacks in a row that killed him. I'm not particularly keen on the Zweihander's weak attack but that vertical attack is really useful. I might give the Claymore a try as soon as I can level it a bit

Especially as a Claymore would let me use a great shield and all heavy armour

What was the invader called and where did you meet him

Was it in the depths or the blighttown swamps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Seems it was Kirk, who is an NPC. I never got invaded by him last time just the person at the bottom of Blighttown so assumed it was a real person

Edit: gently caress the camera in blighttown. Just got killed by the club monster after killing that wall hugger because the camera kept getting stuck behind things and I couldn't see what I was doing

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 6, 2014

• Locked thread