Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Went to get some food truck good eatin'. Standing there in atgatt awaiting samosas, this older dude's like "you hot in that? I don't even wear anything, just like a tshirt when I ride". I don't even say anything aside from "haha, yeahhh" anymore.

It is loving hot in gear though, that's the second part of my rant :supaburn:

There's a point where it's cooler to hide in your gear, I think it's like 90F or close to that according to some Iron Butt article I vaguely recall reading. Above that it's just hot whatever you do, but without gear the convection of the hot air moving over your skin just keeps warming you up.

For me there's a pretty small window where wearing no gear is even comfortable, temperature-wise - like 80f-90f. And at that point, the sun will probably be out and burning me to a crisp unless I re-apply sunscreen twice between gas stops so it's easier to just wear the gear.

e: here it is http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M42 posted:

"you hot in that? I don't even wear anything, just like a tshirt when I ride"

If he ever shows you his bike, don't sit on it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Haaaa, I knew someone would pick up on that :v:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I ride in 90+ every day now and the biggest difference for me was switching from cotton t-shirts to a long sleeved tech shirt. Makes a huge difference in comfort if you're going to be sweating anyway. Also ends up with everything less smelly. Compression stuff probably works even better but I haven't had much luck getting compression tops that fit well. You also look significantly more ridiculous if you stop and take your jacket off and all you have is a skin tight compression top on.

Much rather have all my gear on and not have to deal with sunburn and exposure. Also skin grafts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M42 posted:

Haaaa, I knew someone would pick up on that :v:

I was also very bemused when one of the australian posters referred to squids there riding in "thongs and a singlet", which apparently means flip-flops and a tank top, but I loved the idea of dude bros ripping around on rashed-up gixxers in a spandex wrestling outfit and a lacy g-string

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
"Manigale"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

I was also very bemused when one of the australian posters referred to squids there riding in "thongs and a singlet", which apparently means flip-flops and a tank top, but I loved the idea of dude bros ripping around on rashed-up gixxers in a spandex wrestling outfit and a lacy g-string
While smoking a human being

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

While smoking a human being

We smoke fags, faggots are bundles of kippins.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I thought those were the fish you put on toast

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Phy posted:

No, that's Australian for Huntsman Spider.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Phy posted:

Those are kippers. In the UK we eat faggots though.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've been noticing my DRZ gets less "That looks fast" comments and more "That looks fun to run from the cops on" comments.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you have never searched youtube for dirtbike runs from cops the time is now

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m39yL3TYb-g

Hahaha, GoPro 3 be a HERO

*wheelies away from police*

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

There's a point where it's cooler to hide in your gear, I think it's like 90F or close to that according to some Iron Butt article I vaguely recall reading. Above that it's just hot whatever you do, but without gear the convection of the hot air moving over your skin just keeps warming you up.

For me there's a pretty small window where wearing no gear is even comfortable, temperature-wise - like 80f-90f. And at that point, the sun will probably be out and burning me to a crisp unless I re-apply sunscreen twice between gas stops so it's easier to just wear the gear.

I agree completely with this. So often do I think how sunburned I'd get without full coverage. It's really hot, esp at stops, even in my mesh. But whatever I deal with it and drink lots of water.

Thanks for all the psychic rider advice. I can tell I already have a good bit of that, which is fun, but clearly I need to add a few more things to the telepathy for my own safety. I get angry but, at the end of the day, I really have to keep an eye out for myself.

At least people are looking out of their windshields so far.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Coydog posted:

Thanks for all the psychic rider advice. I can tell I already have a good bit of that, which is fun, but clearly I need to add a few more things to the telepathy for my own safety.

The way people hold their steering wheels is a good clue too. Beyond the obvious "Right hand on the wheel with the left holding a phone", people who have a white knuckle 10&2/11&1 grip on the highway tend to make more sudden/nervous movements. Also literally anyone with those paper temp license plates from the dealer.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 6, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Marxalot posted:

The way people hold their steering wheels is a good clue too. Beyond the obvious "Right hand on the wheel with the left holding a phone", people who have a white knuckle 10&2/11&1 grip on the highway tend to make more sudden/nervous movements. Also literally anyone with those paper temp license plates from the dealer.

Anyone with just the left handing gripping the top of the wheel and a bit of gangsta lean are the worst.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Anyone with just the left handing gripping the top of the wheel and a bit of gangsta lean are the worst.

I'll admit this is how I drive in the car. It's the only comfortable way for me. I hate driving the car. 18k miles in less than a year on the bike:getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Schroeder91 posted:

I'll admit this is how I drive in the car. It's the only comfortable way for me.

How?!

I've tried it, and it's not even remotely comfortable :confused:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

How?!

I've tried it, and it's not even remotely comfortable :confused:

I'm not super leaning or anything, a little slouch, but one hand feels better to me. I ride with one hand a lot too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, I get the "one hand on the wheel" thing, a lot of the time I just keep my left hand on the wheel. But I mostly keep it in the usual 9 o'clock position or sort of resting on the bottom left spoke. Keeping it on top of the wheel feels weird.

However, it's probably because I like to sit in the "correct position", close to the wheel and seat back upright. I'm close enough that I can rest both wrists on top of the wheel with my shoulders still firmly against the seat, so if I grabbed the top of the wheel, my arm would be dangling instead of stretched out.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You lean over and put weight on the center arm rest. That's what makes the gangsta lean bearable.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I (on the rare occasion I do) drive with my right hand on the steering wheel at roughly where it should be, with my arm resting on the window frame. Right hand drive. Anything else is fairly uncomfortable unless it's a truck steering wheel, even then I usually 1 hand it. 2 hands is annoying.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

18k miles in less than a year on the bike:getin:

Sheeeeeeit, I forget, where do you live? Cause if it's not in constant-summer-cali, how the fuuuuck did you manage that

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

M42 posted:

Sheeeeeeit, I forget, where do you live? Cause if it's not in constant-summer-cali, how the fuuuuck did you manage that

Winter may be coming, but the riding season around King's Landing lasts forever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

M42 posted:

I live in the frozen north, and the doorman of my building did 11K miles on a bicycle last year. Some people are crazy dedicated.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

M42 posted:

Phoenix, AZ. I've done about 2.5k in the past two weeks. I need to cut back though because I can't afford all that gas and constant upkeep. I'm at the shop today getting my 16k service, which I made an appointment for at 15.3 2 weeks ago. I'm at 179xx. :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

drat! I was gonna say, that's doing one of the major maintenance milestones every month. You could do the maintenance yourself to save money, but then that'd take like a week out of every month of riding.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

drat! I was gonna say, that's doing one of the major maintenance milestones every month. You could do the maintenance yourself to save money, but then that'd take like a week out of every month of riding.

Get another bike so there's no downtime.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah but if your backup breaks down while you're wrenching on the original bike, then you've got a problem.

I think at least 3 bikes.

Sumo, Long-Distance and Fast/Urban.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

Sumo, Long-Distance and Fast/Urban.

3 Ulysseses?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Sumo is a pretty good choice for urban already, and doubles (triples?) as light dirt / ADV.

I'd go more with a Sumo / Fast Tourer / Lazy Sunday split.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

3 Ulysseses?

wait, do you have a Buell or something? :monocle:

e: actually I can't remember if it's you or Safety Dance who talks about Buell Buell Buell Buell Buell Buell.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 6, 2014

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

Sumo is a pretty good choice for urban already, and doubles (triples?) as light dirt / ADV.

I'd go more with a Sumo / Fast Tourer / Lazy Sunday split.

Sumo, Sportster/Bolt for when you are about to lose your license from all the tickets on the SuMO (or the cops are just looking for your SuMo), and a S1000RR for the track.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

3 Ulysseses?

2 KTM 1290s and one 690 SMC.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Winter may be coming, but the riding season around King's Landing lasts forever.

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a month, and the first time in my life I've literally fought to keep from spitting my coffee out.

Akion posted:

Sumo, Sportster/Bolt for when you are about to lose your license from all the tickets on the SuMO (or the cops are just looking for your SuMo), and a S1000RR for the track.

I find it so endearing that Sumo's are such guaranteed outlaws.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a month, and the first time in my life I've literally fought to keep from spitting my coffee out.

I find it so endearing that Sumo's are such guaranteed outlaws.

It's what happens when you have that sweet Brrrraaaaaaaaaaaaapp!!! on tap.

I think the medical term is Cranial-Rectal Inversion.

Akion fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 6, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Akion posted:

It's what happens when you have that sweet Brrrraaaaaaaaaaaaapp!!! on tap.

It's true, it's super addictive.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Americade = OH GOD NO, DON'T RUN IN TO THAT TRUCK GRANDPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

wait, do you have a Buell or something? :monocle:

e: actually I can't remember if it's you or Safety Dance who talks about Buell Buell Buell Buell Buell Buell.

100% Safety Dance