Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
I haven't posted any of my scores for a long while, so here's my best one in recent weeks (maybe even months): Spacemen 3 - "The Perfect Prescription." Original UK pressing on Glass Records. Only $19.99 + shipping!

I also found an original Dutch pressing of Depeche Mode's "Violator" for $6. It's a bit scuffy, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Yesterday was a good day:

Flex Your Head 1st press on alternative tentacles
Faith/Void Split second press
Wu-tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever first press
Slayer - Reign In Blood First Press
Bad Religion - how could hell be any worse second press
Neon Boys/Richard Hell and the Voidoids 7 inch
Accelerators 7 inch on Mutha
Caetano Veloso - Araca Azul First Press

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

answersyouseek posted:

:worship:

how much did you pay for the reign in blood? have a beater copy I got for like 10 bucks but looking for a minty one.

the alt. tentacles flex your head is the one with the super dope XXX cover right? Definitely the best cover art.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

answersyouseek posted:

drat. Nice haul!

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

kirkjames posted:

:worship:

how much did you pay for the reign in blood? have a beater copy I got for like 10 bucks but looking for a minty one.

the alt. tentacles flex your head is the one with the super dope XXX cover right? Definitely the best cover art.

Paid $20 for Reign In Blood. It's not NM or anything but the record plays perfectly after a cleanup. Yeah it has the XXX cover which is definitely the coolest one.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

answersyouseek posted:

Sick! How much?

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Ras Het posted:

Sick! How much?

That was $35. It's tough to find Brazilian presses of tropicalia stuff in decent condition so I was so excited to see it. I want to jump into collecting all that stuff i.e. Os Mutantes, Gilberto Gil, Gal Costa, etc. but it can get expensive really quickly.

answersyouseek fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 5, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

answersyouseek posted:

it has the XXX cover which is definitely the coolest one.

What's the difference? I don't think I ever noticed other versions.

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

kirkjames posted:

Rudimentary Peni "Death Church" repress - these represses rule. all pressed from original tape and identical artwork to the originals.

my repress of archaic is ridiculous, its a gatefold with slots in both sides for a single 12" and came with like six 12x12 lyrics sheets for some reason

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Apparently, there's going to be an Amoeba annex in the the new Urban Outfitters that's going to open in Herald Square. I assume that they're either just testing the waters to see if they can break into the market like Rough Trade or are just working with Urban. Either way, it's going to be interesting to see how it's going to work.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Going to NYC in August, will have to check it out if the Amoeba part is open.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

screenwritersblues posted:

Apparently, there's going to be an Amoeba annex in the the new Urban Outfitters that's going to open in Herald Square. I assume that they're either just testing the waters to see if they can break into the market like Rough Trade or are just working with Urban. Either way, it's going to be interesting to see how it's going to work.

http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/blog/uo_first_look_herald_square

"...the record company will bring a curated assortment of over 400 vintage vinyl titles that can only be found in our Herald Square location"

What are the chances that these "vintage vinyl titles" will just be overpriced dollar bin fodder? That UO opens this weekend, so I might swing by there out of morbid curiosity.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That sounds pretty small.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Snowy posted:

What's the difference? I don't think I ever noticed other versions.

The first pressing has the "violin" cover; it's the one I have.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

izationalizer posted:

The first pressing has the "violin" cover; it's the one I have.

Nah the Wheat Cover, the Violin Cover, and the XXX cover were all done at the same time. Violin is out of 4000. Wheat is out of 3000. XXX is out of 2000 and is the UK press.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

answersyouseek posted:

Nah the Wheat Cover, the Violin Cover, and the XXX cover were all done at the same time. Violin is out of 4000. Wheat is out of 3000. XXX is out of 2000 and is the UK press.

Huh, somebody told me wrong, then. Any idea why the violin cover tends to be so much more expensive than the others? (I only paid $5 for mine, though.) And for the record, I agree that the XXX cover is the coolest.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

answersyouseek posted:

That was $35. It's tough to find Brazilian presses of tropicalia stuff in decent condition so I was so excited to see it. I want to jump into collecting all that stuff i.e. Os Mutantes, Gilberto Gil, Gal Costa, etc. but it can get expensive really quickly.

I used to know a guy who made a living off of record digging in Rio and selling them on to the US & Europe for a couple of years. The market for the canon stuff is pretty solid.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ras Het posted:

I used to know a guy who made a living off of record digging in Rio and selling them on to the US & Europe for a couple of years. The market for the canon stuff is pretty solid.

A couple of the guys I got a lot of my BR records from actually stopped doing many sales outside of Brazil because the collector market caught up and it was just easier to sell locally. It's too bad since the biggest brazilian ebay dudes are some of the worst graders and their postal service sucks.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Maybe this is a silly question, but gently caress it. I picked up Hamilton leithauser's new album, and it came with a bonus ep of four songs, which is cool and all, but the extra disc has all four songs on one side and then the other side is blank. Is that a common thing? I don't have much of a collection, but none of them have a completely blank side D or whatever.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Anaranjado posted:

Maybe this is a silly question, but gently caress it. I picked up Hamilton leithauser's new album, and it came with a bonus ep of four songs, which is cool and all, but the extra disc has all four songs on one side and then the other side is blank. Is that a common thing? I don't have much of a collection, but none of them have a completely blank side D or whatever.

It's not unheard of but all my blank B and D sides have etchings on them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have one where the b side says DO NOT PLAY THIS SIDE and has a pebbly sandpaper-like texture pressed into it just in case you get any crazy ideas. I think it's a Luther Vandross single or something like that.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Anaranjado posted:

I have a gorillaz ten inch and pixies 7 inch with completely blank sides.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Not sure if anyone is interested, but this guy is selling a bunch of records for $1.99 each, including some proggy ones (King Crimson's "Islands" SOLD, Mahogany Rush's "Maxoom," etc.). Cheap shipping ($3.17) within the US. He's in the middle of listing them as I write this, so it could be interesting to see what pops up. (He had a UK copy of Tangerine Dream's "Zeit," but I already bought it.)

e: He grades all of his records G and G+, but I have a feeling that he just has no idea what the Goldmine grading system is. He typically says that the vinyl looks "great," and the covers definitely look better than G/G+ in most cases.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 6, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

izationalizer posted:

Not sure if anyone is interested, but this guy is selling a bunch of records for $1.99 each, including some proggy ones (King Crimson's "Islands" SOLD, Mahogany Rush's "Maxoom," etc.). Cheap shipping ($3.17) within the US. He's in the middle of listing them as I write this, so it could be interesting to see what pops up. (He had a UK copy of Tangerine Dream's "Zeit," but I already bought it.)

e: He grades all of his records G and G+, but I have a feeling that he just has no idea what the Goldmine grading system is. He typically says that the vinyl looks "great," and the covers definitely look better than G/G+ in most cases.

I like this cover:

content
Feb 13, 2014

Anaranjado posted:

Moonface's Dreamland EP also has a blank B side, which I'd never seen until then.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Anaranjado posted:

It happens sometimes. Johnny Winter's "Second Winter" is notoriously three-sided, with a blank side four. (My copy is a mispress, as well, with two side two labels on the first record. I have to check the grooves to see where to start.) I've got a goodwill seven-inch somewhere of something incredibly cheeseball that I only bought because it was a one-sided single. Just checked, it's this:

(That's not a textured surface, it's flat matte black vinyl with dust on it.)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Well that's kinda funny. Thanks for the replies. The album is really good too. Would cop again.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Allen Wren posted:

It happens sometimes. Johnny Winter's "Second Winter" is notoriously three-sided, with a blank side four. (My copy is a mispress, as well, with two side two labels on the first record. I have to check the grooves to see where to start.) I've got a goodwill seven-inch somewhere of something incredibly cheeseball that I only bought because it was a one-sided single. Just checked, it's this:

(That's not a textured surface, it's flat matte black vinyl with dust on it.)

I love that the sleeve basically says "We know people don't care about the b-sides".

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I love that the sleeve basically says "We know people don't care about the b-sides".

Seriously. I doubt that the "special low price" was more than a couple pennies knocked off the top.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pretty sure that's the exact same sleeve and label as the textured one I have.

E- and smooth blank sides are supposed to be helpful with setting up a tonearm but I've never tried that.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 6, 2014

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Snowy posted:

I like this cover:

I have the picture disc of that, it's warped to hell and sounds terrible.

Edit - Note I'm referring to the sound quality, I love the hell out of Anthony Phillips.

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 6, 2014

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Snowy posted:

E- and smooth blank sides are supposed to be helpful with setting up a tonearm but I've never tried that.

That trick is often repeated on the internet, but in practice it's pretty much worthless - especially with elliptical needles. Think about it: with no groove to guide the stylus, where it goes will largely be determined by the shape of its tip. Regardless, dialing it in by eye instead of ear makes no sense when a difference in sound is what you're trying to achieve in the first place.

The best way to set up AS (short of using an actual reference record) is to find a mono record and adjust the AS until the balance is perfect (or as close to it as it gets).

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
I have a one-sided 12" with a blank white label that turned out to have Hebrew chanting on it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Grapeshot posted:

I have a one-sided 12" with a blank white label that turned out to have Hebrew chanting on it.

Congratulations you're cursed

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Allen Wren posted:

Seriously. I doubt that the "special low price" was more than a couple pennies knocked off the top.

I have one of those and I seem to remember it costing roughly half the price of a regular single. Of course, that was about 30 years ago.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have one of those and I seem to remember it costing roughly half the price of a regular single. Of course, that was about 30 years ago.

Well, fair enough, then!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I finally got me a new cart and got it plugged in without being a tired dumbass, It's a 2M red and I like it a lot so far. Much better then the stock one from my MCS. Now I'm gonna have to listen to everything I own with it.

Also got a Technics headshell so my MCS feels a little more like it's much more privileged half brother :3:

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I have a Rahsaan Roland Kirk album called The Case of the 3 Sided Dream in Audio Color. Side 4 has a 20-minute silent groove with a bizarre 2 minute long phone conversation with Kirk right in the middle.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wilbur Swain posted:

I have a Rahsaan Roland Kirk album called The Case of the 3 Sided Dream in Audio Color. Side 4 has a 20-minute silent groove with a bizarre 2 minute long phone conversation with Kirk right in the middle.

I don't think that's on the CD version but now I have to check it out and see. That's a great album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Wooooooooo! I just found a copy of my all time favorite record on Discogs, the Arrogant Sons of Bitches' Three Cheers For Disappointment. Only 450 copies were ever pressed, I got the pink version which is one of 150. Just so happened to show up in my email alert on the first day I've actually had spending money in a long time. Please, take my $50, it's yours. One of my two white whales, the other being a 7" that was only given out as a wedding favor.