Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Just pick as many conspiracy cards as possible to limit the number of actual cards in the deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

suicidesteve posted:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=68349

I have quite the reputation for playing really stupid modern decks, so obviously I need to make this.

What's extra sweet is that Emrakul is counted as being cast, so you also get the Time Warp effect unlike Show and Tell.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

True, but on the other hand every single one of your picks is the best card in the pack regardless of colour.

It also seems like Conspiracy is a fairly deep Limited environment as far as playables go. A 14th pick out of a Conspiracy pack is probably better than a 14th pick out of, like, a JOU pack.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Does anyone know if there are any vintage masters draft sims out there? I imagine the weird rarity of power might make it harder than usual to incorporate.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

uggy posted:

Just pick as many conspiracy cards as possible to limit the number of actual cards in the deck

Only do this if the cards in the pack are below average. Basically Worldknit gives you better early picks but forces you to use every late pick, which makes it much stronger in Pack 1 than later packs.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Weird question: Looking through the Vintage Masters spoilers, there are some Conspiracy cards in there; Will of the Council and Magister of Worth come to mind.

I would just put it down to a glitch or mistake (wotc's track record of technological prowess is legendary at this point), but one of the prerelease promos they list is also Magister of Worth, so stupid question time -- Are these few Conspiracy cards in Vintage Masters for some bizarre reason?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Weird question: Looking through the Vintage Masters spoilers, there are some Conspiracy cards in there; Will of the Council and Magister of Worth come to mind.

I would just put it down to a glitch or mistake (wotc's track record of technological prowess is legendary at this point), but one of the prerelease promos they list is also Magister of Worth, so stupid question time -- Are these few Conspiracy cards in Vintage Masters for some bizarre reason?

Conspiracy ain't gonna get a MTGO release, so they're inserting cards from it through VMA.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There's a number of Conspiracy cards in Vintage Masters because Conspiracy isn't getting an online release.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Has anyone tried playing maze's end fog lately? I put it together on modo last night and made a build using 2 kioras and 3 dictate of kruphix and did surprisingly well. One guy said it wasn't "real" magic and before quitting on me, which is nice.

The amount of babies on MODO is astounding. I only play EDH (lol) on MODO and the amount of times I've been quit because I got a turn 1 sol ring is astounding. I'm sure it has to do with the anonymity of online but I've been called and told incorrectly that MODO is broken because "real magic doesn't work this way" numerous times.

Also, counterspelling things is a huge cause of ragequits in my experience

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

The amount of babies on MODO is astounding. I only play EDH (lol) on MODO and the amount of times I've been quit because I got a turn 1 sol ring is astounding. I'm sure it has to do with the anonymity of online but I've been called and told incorrectly that MODO is broken because "real magic doesn't work this way" numerous times.

Also, counterspelling things is a huge cause of ragequits in my experience

League of Legends handled this brilliantly by locking you out of playing more games until the one you ragequit ended. A similar cooldown timer would be nice, though random disconnects being one of MODO's most enduring 'features' probably makes that unworkable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
FYI in modo Selvala's ability has the instant speed rider like LED, so they are aware of the issue but don't care about it in paper it seems.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Attorney at Funk posted:

There's a number of Conspiracy cards in Vintage Masters because Conspiracy isn't getting an online release.

Makes sense, since I guess these are legal in Legacy and Vintage. Kind of awkward to not release a set legal in those formats, can't wait to see what happens if some card they didn't anticipate gets a ton of play but wasn't "printed" online. Same goes for EDH.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Makes sense, since I guess these are legal in Legacy and Vintage. Kind of awkward to not release a set legal in those formats, can't wait to see what happens if some card they didn't anticipate gets a ton of play but wasn't "printed" online. Same goes for EDH.

They've had this issue with some cards that see marginal legacy and EDH play not being available online. I don't think there are any major problems in that regard anymore, though.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

Has anyone tried playing maze's end fog lately? I put it together on modo last night and made a build using 2 kioras and 3 dictate of kruphix and did surprisingly well. One guy said it wasn't "real" magic and before quitting on me, which is nice.

You can't beat burn, so it's not really a great choice unless you know that nobody's playing burn. Which seems unlikely on mtgo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jimmy Jazz posted:

You can't beat burn, so it's not really a great choice unless you know that nobody's playing burn. Which seems unlikely on mtgo.

Does Saruli Gatekeepers not put in work anymore?

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Everblight posted:

Skullcrack? :shrug:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Everblight posted:

Skullcrack and Flames of the Blood Hand

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah the sideboard I put together has 4 negates and some heroes reunion. Probably could use the gatekeepers. I was also using 1 elixer mainboard but didnt run into a dedicated burn deck last night.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Only do this if the cards in the pack are below average. Basically Worldknit gives you better early picks but forces you to use every late pick, which makes it much stronger in Pack 1 than later packs.

I drafted Worldknit last night (I got it 2nd pack 2nd pick) and I promise you that card is hot garbage. Do NOT bother. Having to put all your lovely 14-15th picks into your deck and also playing 65 cards is not even close to worth it. Just draft a normal 2-3 color deck with some degree of consistency and card quality and you'll be fine.

Cogwork Grinder is the nuts, though, at least pack 1 pick 2.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006

Yeah the sideboard I put together has 4 negates and some heroes reunion. Probably could use the gatekeepers. I was also using 1 elixer mainboard but didnt run into a dedicated burn deck last night.

The gatekeepers aren't great because the burn deck can pretty much play at instant speed the whole game. You're basically hoping they don't draw skullcrack or are bad. Reunion seems a lot better, especially with negate backing it up.

I don't actually play online but reading about it and looking at sideboards, there seems to be a lot of burn running around.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Lets Pickle posted:

I drafted Worldknit last night (I got it 2nd pack 2nd pick) and I promise you that card is hot garbage. Do NOT bother.

Since everyone has said, since it was spoiled, "take it early in pack 1 or don't take it at all," I'm not surprised that trying to draft around it failed when you'd already drafted one pack, plus a first pick, without it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jimmy Jazz posted:

I don't actually play online but reading about it and looking at sideboards, there seems to be a lot of burn running around.
Are you guys talking about standard? Because there is no way that standard burn is a thing. Are you referring to generic Sligh?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Everblight posted:

Are you guys talking about standard? Because there is no way that standard burn is a thing. Are you referring to generic Sligh?

Where have you been? http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=7505&d=243044&f=ST

It's the most obnoxious thing on MTGO right now. Pilots itself and is just a coin flip to see if they draw the right number of burn spells in time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

Standard burn is definitely a thing right now though? Has been since BNG came out. It's a pretty good deck with a good win ratio and has gotten more popular since JOU came out.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It's a cool deck, and this current standard block has some fun things to try working with such as eidelon of the great revel vs the phoenixes vs young pyomancer. I hope burn will keep going once RTR cycles out, lots of good stuff getting lost this time around.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

Actually it's the other way around - Burn is an archetype that can exist in this format while Sligh is one that cannot.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Burn is losing boros charm, warleader helix, skullcrack, and possibly chandras phoenix after rotation. The pheonix is the only one that might get reprinted with m15 so I'm not sure it'll survive rotation. I used burn for probably 6 weeks after BNG came out and it is very consistent and fast. It was nice being able to finish a match at fnm and have 30 minutes left to go get food. At the time control decks were still big and it destroys rev decks.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Yeah burn is totally dead after rotation, but most other standard decks will be as well. Monsters might still be good if mystic gets reprinted although losing domri hurts. Green devotion will be good if garruk gets reprinted, although thoughtseize will still be there to keep it in check and there's some constellation decks popping up in current standard that have a lot of theros cards.

All of this is of course wildly useless speculation because there's a whole new big set and core set not included.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Yeah burn is totally dead after rotation, but most other standard decks will be as well. Monsters might still be good if mystic gets reprinted although losing domri hurts. Green devotion will be good if garruk gets reprinted, although thoughtseize will still be there to keep it in check and there's some constellation decks popping up in current standard that have a lot of theros cards.

All of this is of course wildly useless speculation because there's a whole new big set and core set not included.

Yeah, my RDW list mostly rotates out, so I'll be at square one once rotation hits.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Just one time this summer I want to cast dictate of the twin gods at an opponents end step, play a spark trooper, and finally boros charm it for double strike. I want to live the 24 damage trample haste lifelink dream.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YoshiStomper posted:

Do you remember how long the actual drafting process took? I have this fear, because this is such a different mechanic, that the selection process is going to take forever.

the draft was really quick. We kept it to zone drafting because we didn't want any pack trains, but the whole process was fast as hell.

Boxman posted:

This is really awesome, by the way.

Veyrall posted:

Teach me your ways, sensei.

But yeah, these AARs are gonna keep rolling in and I'm gonna feel awful, because I can't go to any events locally due to work.

I just had to get into the conspiracy spirit. I recommend everybody do the same whenever possible. On the penultimate turn I leaned to one of the guys I had messaged and whispered "now is the time, take out Mason." So he swung all out at the other guy I had texted, killing most of his blockers. And in return I killed the first player who had tapped most of his attackers, and then killed the second opponent next turn. Evil mastermind all day.

I actually killed all 3 of my opponents with a bolder intimidator and a 17/17 ignition team

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Monogreen is getting that genesis hydra so that makes me want to stock up on some green staples, I think monsters decks will be ok. They're losing the least other than these new constellation decks. I made a b/w constellation deck thats super fun and all it's losing is ethereal armor and some sideboard cards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

CountFosco posted:

Does anyone know if there are any vintage masters draft sims out there? I imagine the weird rarity of power might make it harder than usual to incorporate.

drafts.in has it up. No idea how accurate their rarities and such are though. It doesn't look like that fun an environment to me. More Masters Edition than Modern Masters, but YMMV, and I'm still gonna try it out on MTGO.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Crazy speculation chat!

Garruk is an unlikely reprint, since his veil cursed version is in all the marketing.

Even if there isn't a one drop mana elf, the curve of (caryatid), courser, Polukranos, stormbreath will still be around. It's very difficult to imagine that not being the foundation of at least a reasonable deck.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Lunsku posted:

Need to live the Worldknit into Cogwork Grinder dream!

So, what happens if Cogwork Grinder makes it so you don't have enough cards to put together a deck? Do you automatically drop?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My dream conspiracy draft is P1P1 WorldKnit, P1P2 Cogwork Grinder

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Death Bot posted:

So, what happens if Cogwork Grinder makes it so you don't have enough cards to put together a deck? Do you automatically drop?

You add more basic lands.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Death Bot posted:

That's not possible because e;fb.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Please critique my draft

1 Cogwork Grinder (Enters play as 41/41)
39 Islands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The "dredge" deck should be decently positioned after rotation as the core of the deck is pretty much all theros. It looses Jarad, Shadowborn Demon, Lotleth troll (which some deck aren't even playing), Grisly Salvage which can sort be replaced with Kruphix's Insight in a more constellation-y shell, Overgrown Tomb, and deathrite shaman which is at most a two of.

Jarad rotating even though he is only a 2 of in the deck hurts the deck a lot as jarad just lets you win out of nowhere, and recurring him is pretty easy. Replacing Grisly with Insight isn't a direct swap as Grisly can get you a land if need be. Shadowborn is a nice card for the deck, but is weak to desecration demon. I am only playing two in the main, but have seen plenty of lists that play the full 4. At least right now I can't think of a card that replaces it, but hopefully something with a nice ETB gets printed. Golgari charm out of the board goes away which is a shame, love the utility that card has. And I'm sure some sort of dual land will be in m15/Khans so Tomb should be a non loss. I would like to see the full set of buddy lands back in M15, but thats probably wishful thinking.

I will be happy that both Scavenging Ooze (hopefully), Mutavault, Crypt Incursion, and RIP are going away. And it would be nice if acidic slime comes back in m15, I miss that card. I'm sure some sort of GY hate will come into the format besides Agent of Erebos, but hopefully it isnt as bad as RIP.

And new promo time!

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/news/20140605
Queue up the Liliana of the Veil reprint speculation.

e - has the Chain Veil always been an upside down planeswalker symbol?

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 6, 2014

• Locked thread