Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
The problem with turmoil is that holy poo poo does it affect your income. I've taken turmoil 3/luck 3 and I'm very reliant on receiving good events to get a decent income in a turn. It's nice to have crazy poo poo happening, but the actual gold income per turn is fairly unreliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
turmoil luck needs to be combined with other scales that unlock the gold/gem events. Magic 3 is a great scale to take with turmoil luck for example. Production and growth also have some gold events.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone know what causes the
Något gick fel!
getitemfx: bad cnr

error during the Enchantments phase?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone know what causes the
Något gick fel!
getitemfx: bad cnr

error during the Enchantments phase?

Are you sure you have your eldrich runes properly aligned?
That usually fixes the problem of your game trying to summon an elder god.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Nagot gick fel! is the standard dominions error, it just means Something went wrong! in Swedish.
I have no idea about the error though. Possibly if you ran the game in debug log mode and then posted that to the bug thread on the Desura forums you might get someone who does understand.

Unrelated: anyone know what the Hornets merc group is composed of?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"get item fx" sounds like it can't locate what an enchantment is supposed to be doing. Have you been modding?

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Diabl0658 posted:

turmoil luck needs to be combined with other scales that unlock the gold/gem events. Magic 3 is a great scale to take with turmoil luck for example. Production and growth also have some gold events.

Magic has the best events by far. I don't think there really are any associated with production, or at least weren't a while back, and growth doesn't have anything too exciting, unless it's paired with magic.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Barono posted:

Magic has the best events by far. I don't think there really are any associated with production, or at least weren't a while back, and growth doesn't have anything too exciting, unless it's paired with magic.

Is there any list of what events are associated with what scales, even an incomplete one? I follow the Kitfox Doctrine so I always ramp up the gold-producing scales, but I never touch the Luck scale and only take Magic or Drain in fringe cases (e.g, Jotunheim benefits enormously from a high magic scale, and vice-versa for Ulm). It'd be nice to know what I"m missing out on.

Alternately, what are some of the good events you've seen with high magic?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
High magic results in more +random gems events and events where a random mage and drn followers with some path-appropriate items and gems shows up, it also increases the liklihood you'll find a dead dragon and recieve a bunch of gold, gems and items. Magic 3 also unlocks very very rare random horror attacks on astral mages and faery courts.

Order 3 unlocks a whole bunch of +province defence and +fort events as well as a number of +free troops (usually militia).

Growth 3 unlocks a number of +province income and +pop events, it also unlocks a +Earth Gnome event.

Death 3 unlocks some "A noble has died and left you all his things +gold\gems\items" events and combined with magic a number of undead uprisings, some of which may or may not be friendly.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Jabarto posted:

Is there any list of what events are associated with what scales, even an incomplete one? I follow the Kitfox Doctrine so I always ramp up the gold-producing scales, but I never touch the Luck scale and only take Magic or Drain in fringe cases (e.g, Jotunheim benefits enormously from a high magic scale, and vice-versa for Ulm). It'd be nice to know what I"m missing out on.

Alternately, what are some of the good events you've seen with high magic?

There is, but my link to it is evidently dead. Sorry!

Neruz posted:

High magic results in more +random gems events and events where a random mage and drn followers with some path-appropriate items and gems shows up, it also increases the liklihood you'll find a dead dragon and recieve a bunch of gold, gems and items. Magic 3 also unlocks very very rare random horror attacks on astral mages and faery courts.

Order 3 unlocks a whole bunch of +province defence and +fort events as well as a number of +free troops (usually militia).

Growth 3 unlocks a number of +province income and +pop events, it also unlocks a +Earth Gnome event.

Death 3 unlocks some "A noble has died and left you all his things +gold\gems\items" events and combined with magic a number of undead uprisings, some of which may or may not be friendly.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

You don't need order 3 for the order gold events, 1 unlocks most of them, and a free fort event, but there are some others at higher tiers.

I recall a grand total of one event tied to production/sloth, which was good but rare and not that special.

growth/death is a weird one. They *both* have some positive and negative stuff tied to them. The best events also require magic. I'm not sure the noble dying is tied to death 3, think it's any amount of death. One of the worst events in the game is tied to growth 3, which is having an ancient presence kill 95% of the population and attack the province with some rude dudes.

heat/cold also both have good and bad things, but heat is much worse as you can get the lab burns down event, which can totally gently caress you sometimes.

So the take home message is if you're going to take luck, take magic. It also has benefits with both order and turmoil, but better on the order side. Prod/sloth doesn't matter. Cold is better than heat, but whatever floats your nation's boat. Death/growth are both fine with luck, but the best of both is tied to magic.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I have a list of events in Dom 4 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwos7wcvzxy1joy/Dom4events%20%281%29.html

It's kind of incomplete because it's from before the story events update but it should give you a good idea of what some scales can unlock. Just ctrl+f "death 3" or whatever.

edit: The above mentioned dead noble event is tied to Death 3.

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 7, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AXE COP posted:

I have a list of events in Dom 4 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwos7wcvzxy1joy/Dom4events%20%281%29.html

It's kind of incomplete because it's from before the story events update but it should give you a good idea of what some scales can unlock. Just ctrl+f "death 3" or whatever.

edit: The above mentioned dead noble event is tied to Death 3.

I've gotten 2 wraith lords and a ton of other poo poo from T3S3C3D3L3M3 dominion and it improved overall from that patch. Still not something you should take with the vast majority of nations though.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Speaking of turmoil 3, has anyone ever had success in an mplayer game going T3 on a blood nation and eventually casting blood vortex? Or is it not worth losing the extra unrest reduction on all your blood hunters?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheresNoThyme posted:

Speaking of turmoil 3, has anyone ever had success in an mplayer game going T3 on a blood nation and eventually casting blood vortex? Or is it not worth losing the extra unrest reduction on all your blood hunters?

It's not at all worth it for that purpose. It's just something of a bonus if you can cast it. Vortex is fine even in O3

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Am I the only one that things the black bow of botulf is a little too strong? Shouldn't it do feeblemind on damage rather than on hit?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been struggling in single player to figure out how to turn general dominance in the game into something that actually allows me to start crushing enemy armies.
I've got a few ideas but I'm interested in hearing other things that turn an advantage into victory.

I tried a heavily water based approach and got good results with Vengeful Water and Lure of the Deep. I also really liked Sea King's Court. Is there any viability to using them as researchers/gem generators while a different commander uses the trolls to fight? I can't see any other way to get gem generating creatures other than the ones that summon unique creatures.

My game broke while I was getting close to researching Strands of Arcane Power. That looks like something that'd start really tearing poo poo up, or I don't understand how it works.

Burden of time gets mentioned quite often, I think I see how that'd win a game for an undead nation.

Wild Hunt/Enchanted Forests sounds useful

Astral Corruption + Send Horror: I'm going to have to make a game and figure out how this works.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm having similar problems in a single player game with EA Abysia. I've got three thrones of a required six and I'm having trouble leveraging my massive magic superiority in a way that'll really put the other nations down for good. I've cast Second Sun to make life difficult for them and I'm able to win most battles with the help of Firestorm, but the AI just seems to make crazy amounts of units.

I've got the Abysian blood mage NPC: Malpas, but I don't really understand how the blood economy works and what's worth summoning with my precious blood slaves. I got a Heliophagus and he isn't that great compared to what I can summon in the other paths.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been struggling in single player to figure out how to turn general dominance in the game into something that actually allows me to start crushing enemy armies.
I've got a few ideas but I'm interested in hearing other things that turn an advantage into victory.

I tried a heavily water based approach and got good results with Vengeful Water and Lure of the Deep. I also really liked Sea King's Court. Is there any viability to using them as researchers/gem generators while a different commander uses the trolls to fight? I can't see any other way to get gem generating creatures other than the ones that summon unique creatures.

My game broke while I was getting close to researching Strands of Arcane Power. That looks like something that'd start really tearing poo poo up, or I don't understand how it works.

Burden of time gets mentioned quite often, I think I see how that'd win a game for an undead nation.

Wild Hunt/Enchanted Forests sounds useful

Astral Corruption + Send Horror: I'm going to have to make a game and figure out how this works.

Send Horror really is not needed when it comes to Astral Corruption. Astral Corruption used properly is the blood nation grabbing the ball everybody is playing with and forcing everybody to play the game he wants to play or else he will punch them in the stomach.

For Burden of time it works even for those who are not dead as long as their armies have insanely long life spans. For example Atlantis's main mages have life spans of at least 500 years so what it does it matter to them if they age 50 years in the span of the game.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^^

No, no, no, no, no, no

You are talking from a Dom3 perspective. In dom4 Send Horror is far and away the most powerful tool in the blood arsenal once AC is up. Sending 3-5 doom horrors a turn at the opponent, sending an entire STACK of greater horrors and doom horrors at an opponent's deathball, is absolutely insane and you can't possibly have tested it if you believe this.

Listen. Astral Corruption is fairly tough to play through. But you can do it. Unlike BoT, every nation in the game can still do poo poo while AC is up, even if they want to throw down globals. It just takes finessing.

Now let's look at send horror. Most of the time, send horror sends middling horrors, with about a 1% chance of a doom horror showing up and wrecking entire armies.

With Astral Corruption up, Send Horror sends a Doom Horror approximately 25% of the time. That is loving INSANE. It can never send less than a Horror or a Gore Tide horror, both of which can take out lesser armies on their own.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

First off, decide how you can deny opponents what they want from you. That might be the aforementioned Vengeful Water, or AC + Send Horror, or any other collection of redundant threats. You want to make it very hard for the other guys to take things that you gain, and thus make the process of making gains both easier and more profitable.

Second, figure out if you can use that first thing to make the aforementioned gains. With Vengeful Water, for example, you should have little trouble taking territory under your dom even if you don't own it. So why not add some blood sac or temple spam to make it even easier? Why not add a second hostile global, like Dark Skies, to layer the threat and make it trivial to cap territory under your dom? Can you bring priests along whenever you siege a castle, so you can preach on top of the castle and turn the dom and let your elementals kill whatever mages are inside without having to fight?

Third, figure out what you need to add to start piling on victory objectives. You should be looking at several simultaneous victory objectives if possible and figure out a way to mutually work toward them. For example, a domkill and a throne victory, or thrones + heavy expansion, or all three. You'll eventually focus on one of those conditions but it's great to be moving toward multiple at once.

You'll have to add components to your game to start achieving these goals, and your goal at this stage is to figure out what you can spend your gems and time on to do so. This can be pretty fluid but you want the effects to be powerful, unpredictable, mobile, and redundant if possible.

Finally, you need to be disrupting your opponents. This can be as simple as throwing thugs at them, Faerie Trodding in armies to their backfield, sending horrors at all their unprotected temples and labs, or simple attacking from various angles and then retreating. Find your juiciest opponent and run him ragged; you'll find yourself making territorial gains, especially if you followed point one on this flowchart. Find your most dangerous opponent and tax him as much as possible; you don't want him free to devote all his resources to accomplishing all the aforementioned goals.

Be eager to pull some of your mages. They're the most dangerous part of your army; you don't want them researching in the lategame if they can fight. Spend your gems and money. Use teleport/fly spells often and early.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 8, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

I Love You! posted:

^^^

No, no, no, no, no, no

You are talking from a Dom3 perspective. In dom4 Send Horror is far and away the most powerful tool in the blood arsenal once AC is up. Sending 3-5 doom horrors a turn at the opponent, sending an entire STACK of greater horrors and doom horrors at an opponent's deathball, is absolutely insane and you can't possibly have tested it if you believe this.

Listen. Astral Corruption is fairly tough to play through. But you can do it. Unlike BoT, every nation in the game can still do poo poo while AC is up, even if they want to throw down globals. It just takes finessing.

Now let's look at send horror. Most of the time, send horror sends middling horrors, with about a 1% chance of a doom horror showing up and wrecking entire armies.

With Astral Corruption up, Send Horror sends a Doom Horror approximately 25% of the time. That is loving INSANE. It can never send less than a Horror or a Gore Tide horror, both of which can take out lesser armies on their own.

Watching this bullshit being sent against Jomon, Mictlan and Atlantis was impressive, i remember one time i watched a battle on Jomons cap where Scabiel, Hruvur and a mindslime all attacked at once which would have been nightmarshish in cost against a large army and against the small one they fought it was decided before the first turn even.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Big Sean posted:

Am I the only one that things the black bow of botulf is a little too strong? Shouldn't it do feeblemind on damage rather than on hit?

I've never used the black bow but I think it's fine. Ranged weapons are pretty unreliable, with only a couple equipped archers there's a good chance they'll expend all their ammunition or get overrun without hitting what you want them to hit, and feeblemind in particular is only a big deal if it hits an important commander that needs to cast spells or lead troops

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Flavahbeast posted:

I've never used the black bow but I think it's fine. Ranged weapons are pretty unreliable, with only a couple equipped archers there's a good chance they'll expend all their ammunition or get overrun without hitting what you want them to hit, and feeblemind in particular is only a big deal if it hits an important commander that needs to cast spells or lead troops
It's fun to put on assassins that are gunning for a god. You aren't likely to kill it, but Feebleminding it is pretty brutal if they were going to rely on its paths for anything.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Have Some Flowers! posted:

It's fun to put on assassins that are gunning for a god. You aren't likely to kill it, but Feebleminding it is pretty brutal if they were going to rely on its paths for anything.

Assassinations aside, which is a good point, it's an overly effective counter to titan gods/ any large commanders that really care about their magic paths... which is a lot. It has 5 intrinsic precision, so any nature or air mage with an eye of aiming is looking at ~25 precision shots...

Nothing will protect a targeted commander from it due to the shield changes (air shield I'm assuming still works but if you can be hit once you can probably be hit enough times to get through the air shield).

Just seems like clearly too much for a constr 2 item that costs d1 to forge and it's just an obvious oversight of when shields got changed. I guess it probably won't get fixed until more people (ab)use it though. Again this is all available very, very early game and is dirt cheap.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Big Sean posted:

Assassinations aside, which is a good point, it's an overly effective counter to titan gods/ any large commanders that really care about their magic paths... which is a lot. It has 5 intrinsic precision, so any nature or air mage with an eye of aiming is looking at ~25 precision shots...

Nothing will protect a targeted commander from it due to the shield changes (air shield I'm assuming still works but if you can be hit once you can probably be hit enough times to get through the air shield).

Just seems like clearly too much for a constr 2 item that costs d1 to forge and it's just an obvious oversight of when shields got changed. I guess it probably won't get fixed until more people (ab)use it though. Again this is all available very, very early game and is dirt cheap.

I don't really think it's much of a problem either--solo SCs are pretty much a relic from dom3 and airshield items are equally easy to get a hold of as the black bow. The way protection and elemental resists work now means that there really is no reason to send in an SC without an army backing them up since nearly every kind of magic has devastatingly effective single-target spells. It probably should be on damage rather than on hit, but arrows are not reliable enough to be any kind of hard-counter.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Big Sean posted:

Assassinations aside, which is a good point, it's an overly effective counter to titan gods/ any large commanders that really care about their magic paths... which is a lot.
Maybe it means there's a pseudo-good case to run a non-titan pretender, because Target Large Monsters won't wreck your poo poo.

(Not really, though, they're still the best).

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Theres a lot of ways to kill SC's, black bow has the disadvantage of being useless vs conventional armies when other anti-SC tactics are not

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

Theres a lot of ways to kill SC's, black bow has the disadvantage of being useless vs conventional armies when other anti-SC tactics are not

Yeah i mean, something as simple as Stellar Cascades instantly incapacitates any SCs and big thugs on the battlefield and still does work on troops.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Yeah i mean, something as simple as Stellar Cascades instantly incapacitates any SCs and big thugs on the battlefield and still does work on troops.

Unless your mystics think that casting bladewind or fireball on all those vulnerable blessed jaguars is a better idea.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409916/awesomeishgods0_251.rar

HELLO here's a new version of awesomeishgods that has some changes and things, most of them probably bad. There are probably still like a billion balance issues and underwater and immobile pretenders are still almost all incredibly boring but yeah! If there aren't any glaring issues that people point out to me I'll put some games up with it later this week.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Download here!

Dominions are Dumb is a balance mod meant to overhaul many aspects of dominions 4 to improve fun! If you want you can think of it as CBM for a new age. A greater age. A dumber age!

It also comes bundled with WorthyHeroes and Awesomishgods, thanks to Burnsaber and modpud respectively.

This mod is the result of over 600 hours in Dominions 4 according to Steam!

List of all changes:

changes posted:

--Additional Natural Attacks ^
--Agarthan Blunt Resistance Addition #
--Age Fix ^
--Armor and Weapon Resource Tweaks ^
--Armor Revamp #
--Axe Changes #
--Blunt Weapon Secondary ^
--Boulder Improvement ^
--Bows Improvement ^
--Brand Debuff ^
--Capital Recruitment Competition ^
--Chaos Recruitment Buff ^
--Charge Bonus Addition ^
--Cool Cats Club ^
--Darkvision Expansion ^
--Encumbrance Fix ^
--Enkidu Horn Helmet Addition #
--Gold Cost Tweaks ^
--Item Viability Enhancement ^
--Javelin Thrower Speed Enhancement #
--Lance Replacement ^
--Leadership Fix ^
--Luck Enhancement ^
--Missing Equipment Addition ^
--Mounted Unit Encumbrance and Gold Tweak ^
--New National Spells ^
--Niefel Mountain Survival #
--Priest Additions and Improvements ^
--Range Tweaks ^
--Repel Weapon Fix ^
--Scale Tweaks ^
--Spell Debuff ^
--Spell Viability Enhancement ^
--Summon Viability Enhancement ^
--Thematic Tweaks ^
--Thunderstrike Evocation Rebalance ^
--Underwater Spell Expansion ^
--Unit Size Changes ^
--War Horn Addition ^

Full Changelog

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 9, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Download here!

Dominions are Dumb is a balance mod meant to overhaul many aspects of dominions 4 to improve fun! If you want you can think of it as CBM for a new age. A greater age. A dumber age!

It also comes bundled with WorthyHeroes and Awesomishgods, thanks to Burnsaber and modpud respectively.

This mod is the result of over 600 hours in Dominions 4 according to Steam!

List of all changes:

Download here!

Nice to see a new version, it looks like there's a fair bit of new stuff on the changelog.

This reminds me, the Brand debuff is a decent idea, but I think the Frost Brand needs a small boost if it's going to have the same cost as Fire/Death Brands. It's not armor-piercing like the other two, and cold resistant unit are pretty common (most notably undead).

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I see there's a lot of faction mods, are their any you guys are using that are really awesome?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You fools now that the Enkidus have perfected the helmet they will be unstoppable.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Can we get an actual changelog, not a list of things that mostly don't tell us what the changes are.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Nice to see a new version, it looks like there's a fair bit of new stuff on the changelog.

This reminds me, the Brand debuff is a decent idea, but I think the Frost Brand needs a small boost if it's going to have the same cost as Fire/Death Brands. It's not armor-piercing like the other two, and cold resistant unit are pretty common (most notably undead).

The brand is the important part, which is AP.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

^^^

No, no, no, no, no, no

Well that changes a lot then. I had no idea that Send Horror would do that with Astral Corruption up.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Changelog added in post for my mod.

v1.01 release:

Removed mod intigration of Awesomish Gods and Worthy Heroes. They can be used seperately if you want. Removed Botulf Bow buff. AC down to research level 8, costs 100 more slaves.

Updated to v1.02

Fixed summon animals gem cost. Removed wolf claws, replaced with hamstring. Removed non-working leadership on Demonbred.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 9, 2014

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.
Several months later, I've finally gotten around to finishing the Middle Era incarnation of Esubonten, the Dominions mod nation loosely inspired by combining certain elements of the (primarily) Akan and (secondarily) Mande cultures of western Africa--with the ultimate objective of having a Caribbean-inspired late era--with the idea that Dominions could do with some dinosaurs and other badass animals from the before-times.

The first installment of this mod trilogy went up back in February and can be found here. I keep fiddling with the dinosaur sprites because, quite frankly, I struggle with the use of more dramatic shading to show depth and as a result many of my sprites look flat. So any time I release one of these major updates there's a chance that I've discreetly replaced some of the sprites. ANYWAY, this post is to discuss the freshly-minted MA release and to see what you fine folks think of it.

Anyway, just like with the EA post I will include a screenshot of the recruitment screen from the capital (though there are a couple of foreign recruits that are not included and I should talk about those as well), along with a link to the .zip. Incidentally (if you're playing with the EA version of the mod) this mod also updates the EA to version 0.08, which makes the following changes over version 0.07:

0.08 posted:

* Added Hypnotic Charm, which grants 2d6 Hungry Flame bodyguards, the Mesmerize attack (5 ammo and all), and 6 Gluttony at Const 4 and a cost of 5 A gems.
* Fixed the two merc groups (which were incomplete).

Esubonten Mod 0.31

A couple of things to note:
The mainline troops have bells on their shields, which mechanically make them appear more numerous than they are. In practice this seems to do weird things to scouting reports but I rather like it. An army with maybe 30-something of them might show up in a scouting report as being an army of "about 84 units" which shows me that the mechanic is working, but provides oddly specific estimates.

There don't seem to be as many big animals! I've got giant emus (as cavalry), mastodons (as non-trampling archer platforms that change shape to permanently lose one archer, then the other), and (as summons only) smilodons. I'm also borrowing (in that same summon) great bears, dire wolves, and great boars. One of the conceits of this nation is that the humans have--largely for political reasons--moved away from using most of the big animals available. Most of the dinosaurs of EA have died off, unfortunately. Only the smaller raptors remain (the littlest are still summons while the human-sized ones are much more integrated into the nation).

In EA, one of the key commanders was the nation's only priest, an H1 (troodon) assassin. In MA the troodons are starting to grow more civilized and are now called asani. They still have assassins. Although they don't have innate spellcasting or come with automatic bodyguards, the assassins do self-bless automatically in combat and are powerful enough to deal with most basic commanders before magic ramps up too much.

The nation's mages are, on the whole, pretty diverse but not tremendously powerful. The core mage is the goldsmith, who focuses on F but has some access to E, A, and D. The other recruit anywhere mage is weak and probably useful mostly for site searching or utility tasks, but she has limited access to W, A, and N. The last two mages are a foreign-only mage who is not strong but adds D access, and a StR capital only mage with W, A, and N paths.

Anyway, this is all a bit rough and I've literally only tested the whole thing enough to know that the units, items, and spells work the way that they are supposed to. As far as power and playability are concerned I'm shooting for somewhere in the ballpark of "feels like an average vanilla Dom4 nation."

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

The brand is the important part, which is AP.

The important part is the cold bit that makes it a lot less useful than the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

The important part is the cold bit that makes it a lot less useful than the other two.
Fair enough. However it's still the easiest brand to forge even at 15 water gems, imo.

I think I've decided to discontinue DaD in favor of a more modular mod. I think this was primarily a failure of labeling; I marked this as a balance mod when it is, in fact, primarily a balance mod with some thematic changes and a few things I just think are cool. Therefore I'm going to split it into four different mods:

Balance Mod
Thematic Mod
Scales Mod
Idea Mod

The balance mod would be the core, covering the changes which are purely for balance purposes. I'd say this is about half the modules in my current mod. This would be things like the thunder strike evocation rebalance and summon viability enhancement.

The thematic mod would cover relatively unobtrusive additions for the purpose of consistency. This is 3/8ths of the current mod. This would be things like Enkidu Horn Helmet Addition and Unit Size Changes.

The scales mod would be the scale changes only.

The idea mod would be the things I just think are cool, and which are not required for theme or balance. This would be things like the War Horn Addition and blunt weapon secondary.

This way everyone could play with what level of the mod they feel most comfortable with, and not look at my cool things and wonder what they have to do with balance.

Also, can I get everyone's opinion on the Additional Natural Attacks module? It has elements of balance, theme, and things I think are cool all in one. Where would YOU like to see it placed?

• Locked thread