Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That's awesome let's have some bad mexican and drink whiskies again this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizzy_g
Sep 3, 2004
fix up, look sharp
going to nuremburg in a few weeks for rock im park but on the wednesday night a few of us are planning a night out first,only really been to a few little pubs when I've been before, bit of a longshot but can anyone recommend some decent places for a wednesday night?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
There's a few Nürnberg fans in the Bundesliga thread in TRP, maybe ask there.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Howdy y'all.

For my birthday this year, I'm going to be heading to Munich in September for two weeks - visiting as much for the sheer pleasure of being there as for Oktoberfest. It's going to be for two weeks.

What on earth can I do to make sure that I don't end up living the American tourist stereotype? Any sights in the area y'all would suggest that I make sure to check out?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

citybeatnik posted:

What on earth can I do to make sure that I don't end up living the American tourist stereotype? Any sights in the area y'all would suggest that I make sure to check out?

Just do like the Australians do and nobody will be able to tell!

List of things in day trip distance:
-cities: Nürnberg, Regensburg, Ulm, Salzburg, maybe Stuttgart. Regensburg and Salzburg are the most different from Munich I'd say.
-lakes with beautiful landscape: Königssee(!), Tegernsee, Bodensee
-go hiking in the Alps
-castle Neuschwanstein

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'd add Innsbruck to that list. Regensburg is kinda boring, IMO. It's more of a student town, even if the Altstadt is more 'authentic' than most.

Definitely go to the (Austrian or Swiss) Alps.

Bizzy_g
Sep 3, 2004
fix up, look sharp

elbkaida posted:

There's a few Nürnberg fans in the Bundesliga thread in TRP, maybe ask there.

nice one, will try that, hopefully they're not all out drowning their sorrows!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It looks like I'm headed to Germany at the end of the month for 6-8 weeks for work. I'll primarily be in Hannover with weekly trips to Berlin, customer is the Universities in each city. I'll have a car and hotel provided, likely near the University of Hannover. It sounds like my weekends will be free to do whatever and I'm planning on taking an extra week at the end. I took German in high school 10 years ago but haven't used it since, I've been messing around with the games on babadum.com as a refresher.

I've never been to Europe/Germany and from what I've read Hannover isn't a real hot spot other than expos and stuff. Berlin looks like it has more to offer and I think I'll be able to line my weekly trips up for Friday or Monday giving me the weekend in Berlin. The two things I really want to do are tour the BMW museum and spend some time on the Nurburgring...of course both of these are 3+ hours from Hannover.

What are the recommended things to see in Hannover and Berlin as well as within a couple hour drive? I'm mostly interested in science/auto/airplane museum type things but would love to tour some historic stuff as well.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
One of the best (and by far the largest) technology museums in Europe is the Deutsches Museum in Munich, which is unfortunately as far away from Hanover as it gets in Germany. If you want to visit both the BMW and the Deutsches Museum you will need at least 2 full days in Munich.

Next to Hanover, in Bremen, there is an experimental space flight centre which could be worth visiting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm mostly interested in science/auto/airplane museum type things
I think you want to go to Sinsheim and visit the Auto & Technik Museum. It sounds exactly like your thing. If you're adding an extra week you could combine that with your trip to the BMW museum (I say "combine" but it's still 3 hours from Munich :v:). Berlin has a technology museum as well but in terms of transportation and large-scale items they focus more on trains and ships.

If you're into interactive science centers, there's one attached to Berlin's technology museum, there's the phaeno in Wolfsburg which is at least somewhat close to Hannover finally, and in Wolfsburg of course there's the VW museum as well. You could also go on a guided tour of the VW factory locations in Wolfsburg, Braunschweig or Hannover itself.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

You could also go on a guided tour of the VW factory locations in Wolfsburg, Braunschweig or Hannover itself.
Have you done this for VW? I've done this years ago in Rüsselsheim with Opel, and it was absolutely fantastic, so if you fancy cars and if that is bookable, go for it!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Off the top of my head:

- Museum of Technology in Berlin (http://www.sdtb.de/Home.623.0.html) [highly recommended]
- Autostadt in Wolfsburg, in between Hannover and Berlin (http://www.autostadt.de/en/visitor-information/) [never been there, but apparently it's Volkswagen's sort-of-megalomaniac factory showcase / museum / amusement park]
- Museum of Technology in Magdeburg, halfway between Hannover and Berlin (http://www.technikmuseum-magdeburg.de/) [also haven't been, but have heard OK things about it]
- Not strictly technology stuff, but the German Historical Museum (http://www.dhm.de/en.html) will have an exhibition about WWI starting May 29th that looks promising. The whole museum is well worth a visit anyway.

Not off the top of my head but apparently a thing that exists:

- Museum of Aeronautical History in Hannover (http://www.luftfahrtmuseum-hannover.de/en/start)

As for historic stuff, there's a lot of it. I can't really think of any specific recommendations, but you could probably pick any point in the inner cities of Berlin or Hannover and see something interesting. Other notable cities with lots of old stuff along the way are Braunschweig, Magdeburg, Brandenburg and Potsdam, although Brandenburg might be below the notability threshold for a stay of 6-8 weeks and Magdeburg probably only works if you're really into churches and/or Stalinist architecture. You should be able to fill the weekends with just Berlin and Hannover, though, these are just a heads-up. I suppose you could also go west, north or south from Hannover but why would anyone want to do that?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
The Jewish Museum in Berlin is a great historical museum that's executed in a bit of an artistic way. I've been there a couple of times and it's really fascinating.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wow, thank you guys/gals for all the ideas. That should keep me entertained for this trip and the next one if I get lucky.

Just found out the 24 hour race at the Ring is going on while I'm over there, need to see if I can sneak down there for a day.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
I live literally right down the street from the Technology Museum in Magdeburg, and it's frankly not worth the trip here. It has some cool old DDR vehicles and tools/machines, but it's literally just an old factory hall that takes maybe thirty minutes to go through if you take your time. If you come here at all, go visit the Cathedral and the Hundertwasserhaus (which are pretty much right next to each other).

I very much second the Technology Museum in Berlin, though. It has a particularly cool exhibit about computing as well as railway development. The Deutsches Museum in Munich blows it away, but it blows everything away, to a degree where I'd wager it's basically Central Europe's Smithsonian. Note that I say this without ever having actually been to the Smithsonian, sadly, but the DM is really awesome. As in having a half mile of tunnels underneath it that's one long diorama about the development of mining technology.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oh OK, I'll stop sending tourists your way then. :v: And yeah, when I went to the Deutsches Museum we only had 4 or 5 hours before they closed, and that wasn't nearly enough to even just walk past everything, let alone actually look at it. I'm not sure if it's worth a trip from Hannover, but it's absolutely a place to keep in mind if you're into museums of technology.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Myself and my boyfriend are in Berlin for a few days next week and wanting to go to Berghain, Watergate, Cookies etc for a dance. I've heard Berghain is stupidly difficult to get into... any tips? If it helps we're 30 odd, don't look very goony and I love house and techno but unfortunately don't speak any German. :(

Also any other club recommendations appreciated, I've been out in Berlin before but not for about eight years.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Myself and my boyfriend are in Berlin for a few days next week and wanting to go to Berghain, Watergate, Cookies etc for a dance. I've heard Berghain is stupidly difficult to get into... any tips? If it helps we're 30 odd, don't look very goony and I love house and techno but unfortunately don't speak any German. :(

Also any other club recommendations appreciated, I've been out in Berlin before but not for about eight years.

Are you male or female? If you're both male and together Berghain will be easier. It's not really hard anyways (unless you show up in a suit or some dumb poo poo), just go on friday or saturday night around midnight and hope for the best. Being not young and dumb helps to get into any club.

Personally I'd look what's on (I'm too lazy to do that now), but generally try for clubs in the following order:

Berghain
about :Blank
Stattbad
Humboldthain
Weekend
Watergate
Ritter Butzke
Tresor
Holy poo poo there are so many clubs WTF do I write...

There's a lot of clubs and they're all pretty good by european standards, with the top ones being excellent. Just show up in a a tshirt and black jeans and you should be fine, it's Berlin after all. I mean all these places have never rejected me and I'm a N. American loser without a lot of friends and terrible style (I'm sure some evegoons who remember me will say I'm semi-aspergers or something too).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Stattbad is nice to look around the first time but holy gently caress low ceilings. Sisyphos is pretty far off but I like it as an ersatz Kater Holzig. Take a bike along or take a cab.

Berghain isn't that difficult to get into unless you're drunk and/or stupid. Just relax and if it doesn't work out go somewhere else.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Zwille posted:

Stattbad is nice to look around the first time but holy gently caress low ceilings. Sisyphos is pretty far off but I like it as an ersatz Kater Holzig. Take a bike along or take a cab.

Berghain isn't that difficult to get into unless you're drunk and/or stupid. Just relax and if it doesn't work out go somewhere else.

Stattbad is cool because they've tried to put more there (with the gallery upstairs and whatnot), and there's definitely a cool atmosphere with pipes everywhere downstairs, and the sound isn't as bad as you'd think.

Most clubs except Berghain have relatively low ceilings; I remember being at homopatik at about and it was dripping inside from the condensation. Tresor also feels super basement-y (because it is), but I only really go there when I'm going to get in free and hang out in the booth and get the weird reverse zoo experience from the cage deal they have going.

Even though people knock it now (oh it was better 5 years ago then tourists ruined it) Berghain still loving owns, and yeah it's not hard to get in. Go on a sunday morning around 8-11 am and then dance in Pbar, lounge outside and then come back to the main hall for sunday night and be surprised how fast 12 hours went by (this is still my normal sunday routine).

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
The Jewish Museum in Berlin is a great historical museum that's executed in a bit of an artistic way. I've been there a couple of times and it's really fascinating.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

apt gangbang posted:

This post seems really familiar.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
What's the best place to go kart in the Munich area? We will have a car so it doesn't necessarily have to be near public transit. Our priorities are (in order):

1. Relatively even go karts. I've been to tracks where some karts are literally twice as fast as others.
2. Good/interesting track
3. Accessibility. The closer to Munich the better

Thanks in advance.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Well we got into Berghain just fine- about 20 people in front of us didn't and they spent a fair while eyeing us up before letting us in. Was a great night, very busy, good tunes and a really awesome club. :)

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

My best friend is making plans to move to Germany in a few years, and I've considered going with him, but packing up and moving to the other side of the world is a pretty big step for a shy shut-in. I've got a few questions about living in Germany I'd be curious to know about :

Healthcare. I'm disabled, so affordable healthcare is relevant to my interests. What's the cost of insurance, or is there socialized medicine?

The Medical Industry and Job Prospects. My friend is in college for becoming a medical lab technician, and I'm finishing up a medical billing and coding certification course. Both are fairly high in demand in the US, but what about across the pond?

Safety. We really can't deny that America has a violent culture. How safe do you tend to feel, living in German cities? What about women's safety?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

StrangeAeon posted:

My best friend is making plans to move to Germany in a few years, and I've considered going with him, but packing up and moving to the other side of the world is a pretty big step for a shy shut-in. I've got a few questions about living in Germany I'd be curious to know about :

Healthcare. I'm disabled, so affordable healthcare is relevant to my interests. What's the cost of insurance, or is there socialized medicine?

The Medical Industry and Job Prospects. My friend is in college for becoming a medical lab technician, and I'm finishing up a medical billing and coding certification course. Both are fairly high in demand in the US, but what about across the pond?

Safety. We really can't deny that America has a violent culture. How safe do you tend to feel, living in German cities? What about women's safety?

1.) As a non-EU citizen, in order to apply for a visa, you will need to show proof of private health insurance. US insurance is invalid, and travel insurance also isn't going to fly -- you'll need to seek out private insurance from a German or other EU provider. Mine is through a British company and is cheaper than my US insurance was, while also providing better coverage (woo dental :toot:), at around 300 USD every quarter. There is public insurance, but you won't qualify for it -- however, no hospital is going to turn you away. As far as living with a disability here, I don't really have any info to help you, though it may help to know the nature of the disability.

2.) Can't really help much here, but your chances of being able to land a job/visa are better if you're a skilled worker. Medical lab techs are probably definitely fine, but billing/coding could go either way. Your certification will likely not transfer over from US to Germany, so you may be required to either get German certification, or go through some kind of transferral process. Unless of course your certification is in the form of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in the US, then it's a breeze, since the Bologna Process standardized Bachelor-level degrees. That being said, in my experience, Germans tend to have a poor opinion of an American university diploma, since US universities are child's play compared to European ones. An extremely important question here that will determine your chances of finding work and getting a visa: do you speak German? :v:

3.) There's no country in the world that has no crime, but Germany is in general a much safer place than the US (guns are rare, which helps :v: ). I've lived in Berlin for two years and even in the "worst" parts of town, I've never once felt unsafe at any time of day. As long as you don't act like an idiot and have at least some sense of maturity about living in an urban environment, you'll be fine. Then again, I can't really speak for women's safety, since I'm a 1,9m tall white male. I don't see the situation in that regard being much different.

bignose
Mar 21, 2006
fucked up

StrangeAeon posted:

Do you know any German? The field you described should be something like Ärztliche / Operative Abrechnung and you will certainly work with people knowing very little English (I guess, Doctor's assistants and people working in state insurance) Hm, I think in Berlin, Munich, Hamburg or Cologne you might find sth. where you didnt need any German skills.
I just checked the employment office's website for a job in operative Abrechnung, you'll need something like this

code:
Ihre Aufgaben: [your tasks]
- erstellen von Privat-, Kassen- und Sammelrechnungen [generating all the bills :D ]
- Korrespondenz mit Patienten, Ärzten und Krankenhäusern sowie Krankenkassen und Berufsgenossenschaften [corresponding with patients, doctors and hospitals as well as with the medical insurance and employer's liability insurance coverage]
- pflegen von Arzt- und Patientendaten [caring for patient and doctor data]
- Rechnungskontrolle [Controlling]
- Preisauskünfte [soliciting price information]

Ihr Profil: [Profile]
- abgeschlossene kaufmännische Berufsausbildung oder vergleichbare Qualifikation [commercial education or similar qualification]
- Berufserfahrung im Gesundheitswesen [some work experience in the medical field]
- MS-Office, gute Kenntnisse [MS-Office skills]
- Teamfähigkeit, Zuverlässigkeit, Selbstständigkeit [team work, being responsible und self organized]
- hohe Einsatzbereitschaft [readiness] 

In general, I would argue that Germany as a whole is a lot safer than the US especially in terms of violent crime. There are hotspots in all bigger cities though where you should have a heightened sense of your sorroundings. Depending on your disability, you might get stares from people passing by. (We Germans are known for that, sadly)

On a more light hearted note, visit http://venturevillage.eu/how-to-be-german-part-1

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Some details, then:

1. I do not currently speak German (my local college doesn't offer classes in it, blah) but I have a few years to locate a means of learning it and make an attempt at fluency.

1. The Ärztliche / Operative Abrechnung position sounds like an analogue to the US's Medical Office Assistant, which requires a full degree, and covers more clerical and social duties. I'm a Biller/Coder, and while an Office Assistant does have to know coding, the reason they're separate jobs in the US is that, because our health care system runs on HMO and is generally handled by larger organizations these days (as opposed to private practices), the billing and coding duties often get outsourced to companies that specifically exist to stand as a translating middle man between the medical setting and the insurance companies. I don't know if any other countries tend to encourage this divide at all.

Still, even if not, it's not a total loss. Billing and Coding in English gets outsourced online as well, for people who wish to work from home, and the glory of the internet means that timezone differences have less say in what manner of online work I could get. Even if that fails, I have a history (though no degree) in English Education, so with a bit of practice and some German-approved certifications I could make a passable English tutor.

3. My disability is a blood disorder, which sounds complicated, but for the most part we can consider it similar to living with a fatigue disorder. I tend to only work 20 or so hours a week, because if I overextend myself my blood starts dying and I need a transfusion. Even so, from the sounds of it a part-time job could cover most insurance expenses, and help out with other bills.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Your chances of getting a visa are going to be pretty slim, unless you decide to enroll in a German university or technical school, or unless you have a job offer from a company located in Germany (which may also be difficult, as you don't speak German).

English tutoring is fine if you can get it, but without fluency in German already, it's pretty unlikely to happen. English tutoring is generally done on a freelance basis, meaning for visa purposes you would need at least two clients already lined up with letters stating their desire to engage you as a training resource. If you're able to get those, then you're still going to be at the mercy of your local Ausländerbehörde (immigration authorities), who will need to send your application off to the relevant office for your field of employment, who will then ultimately make the decision about whether or not 1.) your offers are valid and 2.) there is an economic need for your services. Given that there are like 70 million native English speakers already in the EU, and every 20-something thinks that coming here and being an English tutor is easy, your chances of getting a visa this way are going to be pretty bad. If you're legitimately looking at teaching English abroad (especially without certifications), your best bet is going to be in Asia, not Europe.

So yeah, if you have your heart set on moving to Germany, you should probably enroll in a German university or technical school. You can't work while you're a student, but after graduation, you get a 1-year visa in which to find work before they kick you out.

Have you been to Germany before, like on vacation or a school trip?

Edit: vvv Yeah, there's a good point too, in that there are certain "luxuries" that being an American will provide you (also Canadians, Australians, Israelis, Japanese, and maybe one or two others I can't think of off the top of my head), namely that you can apply for your visa from within Germany itself instead of doing it in your host country. You also get three months here (non-working) out of every six months on just a passport. Naturally you won't have it as easy as someone who has citizenship to a Schengen Area country, but you'll also be way better off than most of the other people you'll see at the Ausländerbehörde, like Russians/Africans/etc. It also sounds horrible (but it's true, even in 2014), but your chances will be greatly enhanced if you're white and speak good German.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 1, 2014

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Not to be too negative, but in order to get a visa to teach English freelance, you're going to need a college degree.

As for health insurance, it can be expensive (2-300€ as a freelancer) to pay for public heath insurance when your employer isn't paying half and getting private insurance with a disability could cost even more.

If you come over on a language study visa, there is cheap (50€ a month) insurance for students. As an American, you can easily change what kind of visa you have one you're in the country and have a job offer.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

StrangeAeon posted:

3. My disability is a blood disorder, which sounds complicated, but for the most part we can consider it similar to living with a fatigue disorder. I tend to only work 20 or so hours a week, because if I overextend myself my blood starts dying and I need a transfusion. Even so, from the sounds of it a part-time job could cover most insurance expenses, and help out with other bills.

If your disability actually qualifies as a disability you should apply for a Schwerbehindertenausweis/disability pass which will give you a lot of advantages if your GdB (Grad der Behinderung, degree of disability) is high enough, like tax reductions, free public transit and extra paid leave if you're employed.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Can someone explain to me the whole Sparbuch thing that one has to do when putting down the Kaution for a new apartment?

Backstory: up until now all of my apartments in Germany have either been furnished "short-term" (less than 6 months) apartments, either through an agency or through wg-gesucht.de. All of those have been pretty simple: send the Kaution and the first month's rent to the landlord and its' taken care of. When the Mietvertrag is over, get the Kaution back.

I just signed a lease last week for a new place in Darmstadt, and sent the Kaution to the Vermieter as instructed by the realtor who showed me the apartment. Yesterday the landlord stopped me in the hallway and told me that I'd need to go to the Sparkasse and put the Kaution into some kind of investment account or something, and then attach his name to it? I wish I could explain it a bit better than that, but we were both in a bit of a hurry, so I'm going to speak with him again today.

I gave this info to some coworkers of mine and apparently this is something normal, but none of them are also really financially-minded and couple explain to me the purpose behind putting the Kaution in a specific bank account instead of just... paying the landlord his money directly.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Drone posted:

I gave this info to some coworkers of mine and apparently this is something normal, but none of them are also really financially-minded and couple explain to me the purpose behind putting the Kaution in a specific bank account instead of just... paying the landlord his money directly.

It's a protective measure benefitting the renter. In case of the landlord's insolvency the separate account for the collateral means that his creditors cannot access the collateral.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Randler posted:

It's a protective measure benefitting the renter. In case of the landlord's insolvency the separate account for the collateral means that his creditors cannot access the collateral.

Do you know what's required of me for this? I don't even have a German bank account yet, so this is new territory for me. Would you normally go to the Sparkasse together with the landlord?

Edit: it's a student town with a ton of foreigners, so I don't doubt the local Sparkasse would be used to this.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 3, 2014

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Drone posted:

Do you know what's required of me for this? I don't even have a German bank account yet, so this is new territory for me. Would you normally go to the Sparkasse together with the landlord?

Edit: it's a student town with a ton of foreigners, so I don't doubt the local Sparkasse would be used to this.
You definitely don't need a bank account for this, I actually think it is still most common to deposit cash (as otherwise you have to wait for the confirmation of your funds to arrive before you can send it to the landlord). I only needed my ID, not sure if there are any additional requirements if you are not German/EU.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Drone posted:

Yes the Sparkasse should be OK with this.
I just asked a friend of mine who moved from India to Darmstadt recently, and he said they understood those problems, and enough English to help him.

You might need some documents from your landlord documenting your local address.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Arrived in Germany a few days ago, spent a few nights in Berlin and now back in Hannover for the long weekend. Really enjoying it so far and look forward to seeing more of Germany but I have a question.

When eating at a restaurant with waiter service is there any reason why it takes a long time to get your bill? I seat myself, order the best I can and usually have fast service with the food arriving quickly. But once I'm done and my plate has been taken I sit there for what seems like an unusually long time waiting on my bill to arrive. Should I be asking for my bill when they take the last plate or something?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Service in Germany is spotty at best and often much worse than what you might be used to in the US (I'm just guessing you're from the US since your English is good and you noticed how bad the service is here). The locals mostly just accept it, as far as I can tell. A cynic might blame the lack of a tipping culture for it, but I don't know - I get great service in East and Southeast Asia and there's no tipping there at all.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Arrived in Germany a few days ago, spent a few nights in Berlin and now back in Hannover for the long weekend. Really enjoying it so far and look forward to seeing more of Germany but I have a question.

When eating at a restaurant with waiter service is there any reason why it takes a long time to get your bill? I seat myself, order the best I can and usually have fast service with the food arriving quickly. But once I'm done and my plate has been taken I sit there for what seems like an unusually long time waiting on my bill to arrive. Should I be asking for my bill when they take the last plate or something?

Yep, that's the easiest way, especially when you have to leave early. Otherwise you can tell a waiter when he/she passes by ("Entschuldigen Sie? Die Rechnung, bitte.").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Typically you don't get the bill until you either explicitly ask for it, or a waiter notices you looking like you want something, or you've been there for so long without ordering anything else that they want to get rid of you. I guess this makes more sense with groups that may hang around chatting and occasionally ordering another drink than it does with one person who's just there alone for lunch, but that's how it goes.