Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

goatse.cx posted:

One part stood out to me in particular. DC-8??? Why?

because Hubbard was cripplingly unimaginative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level1Wizard
Aug 10, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Obligatory "The Bridge" mention

http://documentarystorm.com/the-bridge/ Just watched this because of the post. So many feelings that swirled around. How do you help your friends? How do you save someone from their death? And then at the end was the most heartbreaking Lady friend feels bad for a friend, gives him her pills and he commits suicideThe whole thing is just heartwrenching especially if you or someone is experiencing something like this.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

If you're a really hack sci-fi author, all of your futuristic technology and poo poo will be whatever happens to sound futuristic at the time you wrote it, maybe with some jet fins or the prefix "astro-". Hubbards spaceships look like 1950s jet planes because that was real hi tech cutting edge stuff back then.

Like how you can look at the cover of a lovely sci-fi novel and immediately know what decade it was written in by how the space station is drawn, or the characters hairstyles, or how idiotic their guns look.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

TBH I've never read an L Ron Hubbard sci-fi novel, but the covers are pretty awful. My favorite one has the protagonist striking a heroic pose, and he looks exactly like L. Ron Hubbard except younger, more muscular, and with more hair.

edit: i think it was http://www.apocalypsebooks .com/img/cover/battlefield-earth-3.jpg this one

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Jun 3, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RevSyd posted:

TBH I've never read an L Ron Hubbard sci-fi novel, but the covers are pretty awful. My favorite one has the protagonist striking a heroic pose, and he looks exactly like L. Ron Hubbard except younger, more muscular, and with more hair.

edit: i think it was this one
What if you need some chee chalked?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I can chalk my own chee, thankyouverymuch.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Maybe it's about a detective who draws chalk outlines of the victims of chi based crimes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I've only attempted to read Battlefield: Earth, and I highly recommend you don't.

What a loving monster that thing was.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Wasn't there a thread with almost the exact same name that had like hundreds of pages? And I think the bloop got posted in that one like three times already.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

i must compose posted:

Wasn't there a thread with almost the exact same name that had like hundreds of pages? And I think the bloop got posted in that one like three times already.

yes and the mods closed it and said to make a new one, just like they did with the funny pictures thread, the idiots on social media thread, shitthatdidnthappen.txt, and all the other threads that had like hundreds of pages

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Centralia was an incredibly boring disappointment. If you want to see hosed up, dystopian ghost towns like you envision when you hear about it, just ride down a random street in a Pennsylvania town that used to be based around coal (all of them).

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

moller posted:

The Saturday Evening Post posted:
The boo-hoo, Hubbard writes, was a clam-like animal that lived millions of years ago and used to pump sea water from its shell through its eyes. It marked the transition from life in the sea to life on land, and may be "the missing link in the evolutionary chain." Life on the beach was miserable for the boo-hoo.

Sometimes it would get stranded there, or even attacked by predatory birds. (Hubbard did not explain where, if life was just emerging from the sea, those birds came from.) According to Scientology, you may have been a boo-hoo, aeons ago. If you were, your personality has been affected by some of the awful things that happened to you as a clam on the beach at the dawn of time. When a Scientologist audits you, he may discover evidence of your life as a clam. He then processes this, which is called "running the boo-hoo." This makes you weep like a clam pumping sea water through its eyes, after which you feel much better.

This is from a couple of pages back but holy poo poo this is quite possible the most stupid thing I have ever read.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Alouicious posted:

In a similar vein, Times Beach is a now-abandoned vacation town in Missouri. Everything was fine and cool until they paid a dude to oil the roads. He oiled them with Agent Orange run-off.

The concept of just spraying used motor oil on the roads is itself unnerving to me.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Nameless Dread posted:

Centralia was an incredibly boring disappointment. If you want to see hosed up, dystopian ghost towns like you envision when you hear about it, just ride down a random street in a Pennsylvania town that used to be based around coal (all of them).

I lived in Oil City. An entire town based around a Pennzoil refinery. It shut down decades ago but everyone stuck there couldn't afford to get out of town. It was a bizarre place to live for a year when I was coming from London, UK. And incidentally one of the most xenophobic places I've had the displeasure of witnessing.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Looks like his chee just got chalked.

Content:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Condor

I'm from the USA, but never knew the extent of my government's support of South America's brutal right-wing dictators until I visited the countries where it happened. In Argentina, where most of the deaths occurred, political opponents were imprisoned, then their infant children were kidnapped and given to loyalist families. The secret service "disappeared" people by throwing them out of planes alive. Paraguay's dictator, Alfredo Stroessner had the secretary of the communist party dismembered with a chainsaw while he listened to his screams on a phone.

This isn't ancient history, either. The Carter and Reagan administrations openly allied with these regimes, and Augusto Pinochet was still Commander-in-Chief of Chile's army in loving 1998. Very few people involved in the terror have faced justice. It's pretty sickening to know that these abuses happened with my government's support.

Alpacalips Now has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Jun 3, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
And then people wonder why America isn't always the most beloved nation everywhere.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
At the apartment complex I'm living at now, I met an older couple (mid 60s probably). He'd said he was retired military. We were talking about where we'd previously lived, etc. I brought up Chile, and he mentioned how it looked like a beautiful country, but that he'd only been there overnight. He said he was sent down to "locate" someone, and immediately flown out. His wife started saying what year, "in seventy--", and he cut her off, "sometime in the seventies or eighties. Eighties." And then he refused to talk about it anymore. It was a little creepy. I really wish I could have gotten more details, but he was not going to talk about it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Alpacalips Now posted:

This isn't ancient history, either. The Carter and Reagan administrations openly allied with these regimes, and Augusto Pinochet was still Commander-in-Chief of Chile's army in loving 1998. Very few people involved in the terror have faced justice. It's pretty sickening to know that these abuses happened with my government's support.

The craziest part is that this has been going on for about, you know, a century. It's horrifying to look at all the antics the U.S. government has been getting up to. Makes you real proud to be an American when you find out that troops were sent in to install puppet governments, take land from common folks, and put down rebellions so American companies could get cheap bananas. :911:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Alpacalips Now posted:

I'm from the USA, but never knew the extent of my government's support of South America's brutal right-wing dictators until I visited the countries where it happened.

Your stories probably deserve their own thread. That kind of stuff never even registered on my teenage mind as real things with consequences that were happening, it was just boring evening news. It's embarrassing to learn about it as an adult and think "holy poo poo, the Dead Kennedys wrote songs about this, why wasn't I paying attention?" It's also interesting to go back and read MAD Magazine from the 80s and see just how hard they tried to make kids aware of issues beneath a veneer of satire.

Content: Brooke Greenberg was one of 4 known people to have suffered from "Syndrome X", a vanishingly rare genetic mutation that causes a person to age about 1 year for every 10 years they live. Its like the opposite of progeria.

I find it fascinating to look up chromosomal abnormalities on Wikipedia and see all the tremendously creepy conditions that a person can be born with, caused by really major errors in our basic biological programming. It puts the whole "omnipotent intelligent designer" paradigm into perspective.

Buh
May 17, 2008
The bones of hundreds of children have been found unceremoniously dumped in a septic tank in a home for unwed mothers from the 1960s. Horrific as hell. I'm also creeped out by the blatant discrimination by those that avoided dying of neglect and made it to school and wherever.

Buh has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Jun 4, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Buh posted:

The bones of hundreds of children have been found unceremoniously dumped in a septic tank in a home for unwed mothers from the 1960s. Horrific as hell. I'm also creeped out by the blatant discrimination by those that avoided dying of neglect and made it to school and wherever.
There's a pretty good movie about the Magdalene Asylums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdSmjIvJ8Dc

Which also happens to be based on this documentary. It's hosed up that the government didn't apologize for the asylums until 2013.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxOePGgXPs

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Buh posted:

Oh, Catholic authorities in Ireland. :allears: I'm pretty sure everyone over the age of 40 in Ireland has some horrible church-related story.

Nothing will make you a bitter atheist faster than living in Ireland and listening to the old people talk about their childhood and families.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Icon Of Sin posted:

And of course the page has a link to random hums (like in Taos, NM), the general article about numbers stations, and random sonic booms like are rumored to happen occasionally on beach that is only about 10 miles from where I live (Carolina Beach, NC). I didn't find a wikipedia article on them, but there's this:

Ah the good old Seneca guns. Heard them a couple of times in Brunswick County. Here's what the US Geological Survey has to say about them:

quote:

The term “Seneca guns” is just a name, not an explanation. It does not tell us anything about what causes these noises and shakings. The name originated in a short story that James Fennimore Cooper wrote during the 1800’s. The name refers to booms that have been heard on the shores of Lake Seneca and Lake Cayuga in New York State. The name has been applied to similar noises along the coasts of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. Similar booms are called Barisol guns in coastal India. These phenomena have also occurred in three widely separated places around the world. That’s about all we know about the Seneca guns.

Well alrighty then.

PS, condolences on living near Carolina Beach.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The craziest part is that this has been going on for about, you know, a century. It's horrifying to look at all the antics the U.S. government has been getting up to. Makes you real proud to be an American when you find out that troops were sent in to install puppet governments, take land from common folks, and put down rebellions so American companies could get cheap bananas. :911:

To be fair, every country throughout recorded history has done pretty much the same thing when/if they could.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

To be fair, every country throughout recorded history has done pretty much the same thing when/if they could.

Even the progressive countries of Europe?!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Twat McTwatterson posted:

yeah man you stick it to those people who aren't posting in this thread

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

Obligatory "The Bridge" mention

I live in the Bay Area and knew a longtime close friend of the family who jumped. She was an exceedingly nice, thoughtful person and successful psychologist. One day she left her 18-month-old toddler alone in her crib, drove 15 miles or so to the bridge, and jumped. Her husband came home shortly thereafter and found the baby OK. No suicide note was left.

I think about her often, especially what she was thinking when she suddenly "decided" like that, and what that 15 mile one-way drive was like. Imagining her going through the motions almost robotically is disturbing to me.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Yeah, because a cute little country like Belgium surely never oppressed anybody, right?

(prophylactic link for the sarcasm-impaired goon who is about to post it to prove me wrong)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alouicious posted:

To be fair, thats the easiest time to stick it to people.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alouicious posted:

Totally bitching out whomever isn't around is as American as apple pie.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Caustic posted:

I live in the Bay Area and knew a longtime close friend of the family who jumped. She was an exceedingly nice, thoughtful person and successful psychologist. One day she left her 18-month-old toddler alone in her crib, drove 15 miles or so to the bridge, and jumped. Her husband came home shortly thereafter and found the baby OK. No suicide note was left.

I think about her often, especially what she was thinking when she suddenly "decided" like that, and what that 15 mile one-way drive was like. Imagining her going through the motions almost robotically is disturbing to me.

Sleater-Kinney has a song about just that sort of situation (not precisely her of course). I first heard the song roughly around the same time as watching The Bridge which gave it an extra emotional kick for me.

quote:

My falling shape will draw a line
Between the blue of sea and sky
I'm not a bird
I'm not a plane

I took a taxi to the Gate
I will not go to school again
Four seconds was
The longest wait
Jumpers

Content, John B Calhouns mouse utopia experiment:
He created an environment for lab mice that had plenty of food, water and everything a mouse could need...except for infinite space. Initially they bred like crazy and had happy mousy little lives.

Then they hit the space limits.

quote:

Initially the population grew rapidly, doubling every 55 days. The population reached 620 by day 315, after which the population growth dropped markedly. The last surviving birth was on day 600. This period between day 315 and day 600 saw a breakdown in social structure and in normal social behavior. Among the aberrations in behavior were the following: expulsion of young before weaning was complete, wounding of young, inability of dominant males to maintain the defense of their territory and females, aggressive behavior of females, passivity of non-dominant males with increased attacks on each other which were not defended against. After day 600, the social breakdown continued and the population declined toward extinction. During this period females ceased to reproduce. Their male counterparts withdrew completely, never engaging in courtship or fighting. They ate, drank, slept, and groomed themselves – all solitary pursuits. Sleek, healthy coats and an absence of scars characterized these males. They were dubbed “the beautiful ones”.

The conclusions drawn from this experiment were that when all available space is taken and all social roles filled, competition and the stresses experienced by the individuals will result in a total breakdown in complex social behaviors, ultimately resulting in the demise of the population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Calhoun#Mouse_experiments

and a video too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z760XNy4VM

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Loomer posted:

The concept of just spraying used motor oil on the roads is itself unnerving to me.

Spraying oil is done in a lot of places. It's a good way to keep dirt roads from being dusty and it's easier, faster, and cheaper than actually paving. You see it done a lot on well traveled rural roads in the middle of nowhere.

Tip: don't drive on roads that have been oiled within the last few days, it will get all over your car.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Spraying oil is done in a lot of places. It's a good way to keep dirt roads from being dusty and it's easier, faster, and cheaper than actually paving. You see it done a lot on well traveled rural roads in the middle of nowhere.

Tip: don't drive on roads that have been oiled within the last few days, it will get all over your car.

It's also horrible for the environment, the majority of it ends up running off of the roads and reaching the water tables.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Peanut President posted:

It's a good way to keep dirt roads from being dusty

If the goal is to keep cars from getting dirty it sounds like a loving terrible solution.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Isn't this just Why_We_Need_Population_Control.flv for humans? It's very interesting that the entire population dies off. I would have thought they would gain some level of reproduction. Unless the mice was so ruined by their environment that they felt no dire need to breed.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Strangely enough, I never made that connection with the Sleater-Kinney song, because I never watched the video. As a Bay Area resident, I find it such a ridiculous and an eye-rolling waste of money to build the net that has been proposed (I think maybe even approved?) because honestly, I just don't find it a national tragedy that people want to commit suicide. It's occurred throughout human history, it's always sad when a young person or a mentally ill person kills themselves but honestly, in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world. More comprehensive mental health care would save like, 1000X more lives than a net for the same /less money. I'm not some wacky libertarian, quite the opposite, but I think that ultimately, self determination and personal liberty also means the liberty to end your life when you choose to. An individual doesn't owe their loved ones a continued life of misery because "it will hurt them more" or whatever. Suicide is rough, but so is life. It's a valid decision/choice that some people make and ought to be respected as such.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Strangely enough, I never made that connection with the Sleater-Kinney song, because I never watched the video. As a Bay Area resident, I find it such a ridiculous and an eye-rolling waste of money to build the net that has been proposed (I think maybe even approved?) because honestly, I just don't find it a national tragedy that people want to commit suicide. It's occurred throughout human history, it's always sad when a young person or a mentally ill person kills themselves but honestly, in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world. More comprehensive mental health care would save like, 1000X more lives than a net for the same /less money. I'm not some wacky libertarian, quite the opposite, but I think that ultimately, self determination and personal liberty also means the liberty to end your life when you choose to. An individual doesn't owe their loved ones a continued life of misery because "it will hurt them more" or whatever. Suicide is rough, but so is life. It's a valid decision/choice that some people make and ought to be respected as such.

But you're making it seem like most suicides are done in a clear, healthy mind. That's not the case and if the person can be prevented from dying, they can get help.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

But you're making it seem like most suicides are done in a clear, healthy mind. That's not the case and if the person can be prevented from dying, they can get help.

Does it really matter? Certainly its sad, I have a lot of empathy. I support much more comprehensive public mental health programs, they would be far more effective than a giant net. It's always sad when someone chooses to commit suicide, but we as societies or as individuals don't get to make choices for others or decide their medical care.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
We as a society make choices for others all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Does it really matter?

Yes, it does, a lot. Even if it doesn't matter to you personally.

EDIT: Speaking as a suicide survivor here, who's also had two friends commit suicide.