Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pointers
Sep 4, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

agreed but once you have your own place it's difficult to go back
i've had my own place, it's better that i'm living with people rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
people are poo poo, i want to live by myself like a hermit

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
even when i live with people we never really interact so i may as well live alone

eventually the gf will move in tho and then my nutrition will improve

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

People who say taxes are lower in the US are probably full of poo poo too, I lose half my paycheck before I ever see it.

yeah how do you manage this

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

high 401k contribution or high insurance premiums or both? maybe pittsburgh has very high income tax

child support or alimony

irs or a creditor garnishing wages

there are lots of ways for net pay to be 50% of gross but i can't think of any that are worth complaining about

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

high 401k contribution or high insurance premiums or both? maybe pittsburgh has very high income tax

child support or alimony

irs or a creditor garnishing wages

there are lots of ways for net pay to be 50% of gross but i can't think of any that are worth complaining about

Girlfriend is on my health insurance and they tax the employer contribution as though it were cash income. I pay $1500+ in federal withholding a month.

Apr 7, 2003

No wage garnishment, just taxes / insurance / 401k

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
income tax here is 40% if you earn over 31k iirc and its loving rediculous

Apr 7, 2003

Valeyard posted:

I also pay another 10% in local taxes, dunno how they handle local taxes over there.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

The 100 miles makes a difference when no-one is likely to travel that far. unlike the fine US of A we have lower levels of car ownership, and when you live in a city, it's expensive to keep a car too. I only know one person in london who drives a car. Edinburgh-London for ex takes ~ 6+ hours on public transport, but it can take as little as 4.5 to travel via airplane (because airports aren't in the middle of the city). Throw into that you can't get late night trains and it means to go up north for a weekend requires hauling yourself up on a saturday morning and leaving on sunday evening, ~ 12 hours travel for ~ 24 hours away.

6 hours each way doesn't sound so bad to go from london to scotland by public transport. that's a day trip, if needs must, e.g. a job interview

i'm in the same boat. if I really had to make it, boston is a day trip. realistically, i'm gonna go ond stay overnight for anything that isn't a burning issue.

p.s. are u.k. rental cars just really expensive? i'm accustomed to like $100/day

tef posted:

it isn't the distance, it's the effort, and hauling yourself across london is as frustrating as hauling yourself across the country, and we're lazy

from what i can tell london is half the country

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

part of it is that fuel is >$8+/us gallon notorious bsd

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
401k: at one place they didn't match so i did 100% until i maxed per annum. $0 paycheck for a two months or so.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theadder posted:

part of it is that fuel is >$8+/us gallon notorious bsd

it's about $8/gallon in the U.K.
it's about $4/gallon in the U.S.

this doesn't matter much for 300 miles. hell, car rentals in the u.s. often have gas included for free. it's just not that big a deal, because people don't drive rentals that far.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

wide stance posted:

401k: at one place they didn't match so i did 100% until i maxed per annum. $0 paycheck for a two months or so.

edit: i just realized what you were doing. that was dumb.

calculate your 401k contributions so that each one is roughly 1/11th of the limit, and then make a balloon payment in jan/feb/march of the following year to hit the max.

it's much easier and then you don't have to make changes mid-year or dip into short term savings.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
for extra points, change from a 401k to a roth-401k. unless you expect insane taxes/inflation in the future, they are functionally equivalent, but the roth version has an effectively higher limit.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's about $8/gallon in the U.K.
it's about $4/gallon in the U.S.

this doesn't matter much for 300 miles. hell, car rentals in the u.s. often have gas included for free. it's just not that big a deal, because people don't drive rentals that far.

my point is more that it conditions attitudes to travel in the culture

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theadder posted:

my point is more that it conditions attitudes to travel in the culture

by that argument no one should be using cars for long-ish travel in the u.s.

your average u.s. vacation might be a couple of thousand miles but gas is over 50% as expensive as the country the size of a teacup

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

theadder posted:

make 99% of your income from capital gains

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theadder posted:

break out a tax calculator sometime. if you make a professional income w/ no kids and no wife, poo poo gets hairy

federal is 28-36%
payroll tax is ~15%
state is 5-10%
local is 2-4%

those are all marginal rates, adjust to individual totals as needed

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Valeyard posted:

lolll

e: also it's 40% for anything earned over £40k bc you have a £8k personal allowance

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 6, 2014

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i feel guilty whenever i get a tax refund because the gov't probably needed that hundred dollars more than i do

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

coffeetable posted:

copy-quotin into this thread cause there are a fair few UK devs itt who i respect n id like to know their opinion

the deal breaker for me would be not being part of big team (or even a small one).

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hell, car rentals in the u.s. often have gas included for free.

really? because that's not been my experience at all. usually people are like 'eh i only used 1/8 of a tank, i wont bother filling it up' esp because it can be a real pain in the rear end to find a gas station near the rental place. then it's $10-20/gal to fill it back up

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

coffeetable posted:

lolll

e: also it's 40% for anything earned over £40k bc you have a £8k personal allowance

ya as someone making cash money paying taxes sux. £31k is a low rear end limit, the top us marginal doesn't kick in until $400k (yeah i know about the 45% rate at £150k, lol if you make that much and aren't crystalizing capital gains)

just close the corporate loopholes imo

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Malcolm XML posted:

ya as someone making cash money paying taxes sux. £31k is a low rear end limit, the top us marginal doesn't kick in until $400k (yeah i know about the 45% rate at £150k, lol if you make that much and aren't crystalizing capital gains)

just close the corporate loopholes imo

hmrc is rly helpful tho and told me that my employer hosed up tax codes and I'm owed a ton of back taxes so i don't mind paying.

PAYE owns, imagine a world w/o tax returns

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

break out a tax calculator sometime. if you make a professional income w/ no kids and no wife, poo poo gets hairy

federal is 28-36%

lol, not even close on a salary of $65k. more like 15-20%.

at $65k unless you calculated your withholdings unfavorably you should be netting somewhere around 2/3 of your gross earnings, even in a high tax state like CA.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
man i am starting to feel overpaid as gently caress

hang in there

Apr 7, 2003

Deus Rex posted:

lol, not even close on a salary of $65k. more like 15-20%.

at $65k unless you calculated your withholdings unfavorably you should be netting somewhere around 2/3 of your gross earnings, even in a high tax state like CA.

I calculated according to IRS recommendations, I said why I get hosed up above (taxable health benefits).

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

from what i can tell london is half the country

it's something like 10-15% of the country by population

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

PAYE owns, imagine a world w/o tax returns

yeah, it blows my mind that americans are expected to handle that manually

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qntm posted:

300 years later and we're still not over taxes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

qntm posted:

the irs tried to fix it but intuit and h&r block shut them down. for real

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the advantage of the american way is that you can just lie, right? what are the common ways people lie on their tax stuff

coffeetable posted:

lolll

ok yeah i forgot about the personal allowance, good point

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
americans can never have a good thing as long as someone stands to make a lot of money doing that thing poorly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

i feel guilty whenever i get a tax refund because the gov't probably needed that hundred dollars more than i do

lol. yeah they needed it to kill some minorities.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Valeyard posted:

the advantage of the american way is that you can just lie, right? what are the common ways people lie on their tax stuff

ok yeah i forgot about the personal allowance, good point

very few people lie on their taxes because its easy to get caught. what you do is use existing law to find loads of legal tax breaks. the more money you have the better the lawyer you can get to find all ur discounts.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
people call them "loopholes" because it makes it sound like they're doing something wrong, when in fact what they are doing is totally legal. calling them loopholes also suggests that if they just enforced it correctly everything would be fine, therefore we don't actually need real reform. this is good for the people using the law in their favor because it means they're likely to keep their discounts, and its also good for the politicians shouting "loophole! loophole!" because it means they don't actually have to try to fix anything.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

people call them "loopholes" because it makes it sound like they're doing something wrong, when in fact what they are doing is totally legal. calling them loopholes also suggests that if they just enforced it correctly everything would be fine, therefore we don't actually need real reform. this is good for the people using the law in their favor because it means they're likely to keep their discounts, and its also good for the politicians shouting "loophole! loophole!" because it means they don't actually have to try to fix anything.

Not even close

If you are a small business and get caught cheating I your taxes you pay severe penalties for many many years or go to jail

If you are a capitalist and get caught cheating, your big four "tax professional" writes a letter to the irs explaining your "defensible position". Worst case: you pay a penalty. Likely case: you pay the balance due and a tiny symbolic fraction of a penalty. Jail never enters the picture.

The norm, of course, is that you are never "caught." The IRS never asks for your "defensible position" because it's not worth the money to pursue you.

Tax loopholes are absolutely real

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
P.s. The last time a rich man risked jail for his "defensible position" was when KPMG got uppity and started selling "defensible position" letters to regular schmucks, mere millionaires instead of aristocrats

The irs was ok with vanderbilts cheating on their taxes. They were mos def not ok with the 1%, the hoi polloi, borrowing their tactics

KPMG ate it hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
those guys are actually cheating on their taxes. that's not the same as "loopholes"

• Locked thread