Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Pidmon posted:

Does amaranth wood not work in planters or something?

The best way to plant Amaranth saplings in AS is with a Use golem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Rutibex posted:

It's Minecraft if you don't like blocks then I don't think this is the game for you.

The levels being blocks is fine. I've upgraded the textures and it looks great! The models on the other hand just don't jive. PSX, N64, or DS quality models would mesh really well. I'm shocked no one has done it. Are there hard limitations to what models can be added? This game is begging for some actual style instead of terrible programmer art for spergs.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The levels being blocks is fine. I've upgraded the textures and it looks great! The models on the other hand just don't jive. PSX, N64, or DS quality models would mesh really well. I'm shocked no one has done it. Are there hard limitations to what models can be added? This game is begging for some actual style instead of terrible programmer art for spergs.

Having those kinds of models in this game would make me vomit.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You can make custom models, but for mobs you are pretty much stuck with cubic shapes.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
There's something wrong with the round robin setting on itemducts. This setup results in the leftmost activator receiving more dust than the others.

Also my lifebar keeps randomly displaying only the first 10 hearts, it's annoying.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

McFrugal posted:

There's something wrong with the round robin setting on itemducts. This setup results in the leftmost activator receiving more dust than the others.

Also my lifebar keeps randomly displaying only the first 10 hearts, it's annoying.

Looks like it has something to do with the pulverizers that have only one itemduct between them and the activators. Having any given itemduct being input and output in the same spot seems to result in that input getting some extra in round-robin mode. If you flip those two pulverizers to the other side of the power cable and extend the itemducts to reach them there it should distribute evenly.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Fun fact: Remain in Motion can push an active Nether Portal around without breaking its link. I don't know how that could be useful for anything practical, but it was nice for remodeling my portal room without having to risk generating a new overworld portal in a ravine somewhere.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Danny Glands posted:

Why hasn't there been a goon replacement for Railcraft already?

I tried giving this a go months ago, trying to relearn Java at the same time.

Let's just say that it's a good thing I gave up and that there was a reason I stopped being a CS major.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's more like Ex Nihilo! tbh. Crucibles and barrels tend to cause FPS lag in large amounts, though sifters seem to be pretty okay.

I ended up breaking down all my crucibles, netherrack, itemducts, fluiducts and just shoving them in a chest while I let a creative lava tank do the actual work. I guess it's a cheat, but when I add more magma crucibles I add a corresponding amount of the above to the chest. *shrug*

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There's no need to cheat like that; a single lava fabricator from minefactory reloaded works great once you've got alternate power (big reactors) set up.

In my own AG game, I'm getting closer to finishing - I'm just missing lettuce, cobblestone, dirt, and I started bees and trees last night.

gently caress beekeeping. Wow.

Was there a quick guide on how to power through this stuff with gendustry? I managed to finally get royal jelly last night but I think I'm going to need like a million purple combs for the purple quest.

I have two apiaries with some default bees I got from a reward bag making them but it seems like it's going to take forever.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 5, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The lag is also caused mostly due to rendering, so if you hide your barrels/crucibles in enclosed bunkers (partitioning it so that if you need to tear down or add to it, you aren't assaulted down to single digit FPS) it should work happily away without a problem.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Sage Grimm posted:

The lag is also caused mostly due to rendering, so if you hide your barrels/crucibles in enclosed bunkers (partitioning it so that if you need to tear down or add to it, you aren't assaulted down to single digit FPS) it should work happily away without a problem.

If I do this, can I use sticky piston-based doors for access, or would I need to dig through the walls every time?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I use elevators and tesseracts.

DiscipleJohn
Jun 26, 2005
Hallelujah!

Bhodi posted:

Was there a quick guide on how to power through this stuff with gendustry? I managed to finally get royal jelly last night but I think I'm going to need like a million purple combs for the purple quest.

Gendustry makes bee breeding far, far less frustrating. Start out by making a mutagen producer and a mutatron. Stuff redstone blocks into your mutagen producer, and pipe the mutagen from that into your mutatron. Keep the mutatron stocked with instruments and mutagen and you can place any breeding pair into the machine and come out with a freshly mutated queen.

The advanced mutatron gets even better, because it allows you to choose which mutation you get.

The most complete (not very complete) documentation I've found on the mod is below.

http://bdew.net/gendustry/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, I made the items but I wasn't exactly sure how to get new traits. I have a bunch of bees and I sort of bred them together and stuck them in the apiaries to generate combs and more drones but all the drones seem to have the properties of the queen they were made from.

I guess I got the appropriate types to make dyes and royal jelly but I'm not sure how to make bees that work faster or whatever, can I induce mutations until I get a bee that has a better trait or something, and then extract that trait with a gene sample into a genetic template? I mean 1 dye every 2 minutes is not going to cut it for the purple quest. I'll end up needing an entire wall of industrial apiaries.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The mutatron will provide the genetic base line of the result of the cross-breed so you don't have to worry about breeding out unwanted properties to start. So from a useful base line you can sample extra drones for their properties and then the template can 'fix' it to other breeds of bee. These new genetics will take a bit of time and effort to stabilize, but you can basically have all your bees be Nocturnal Cave-liking, Strong Flying (work in the rain) that spawn 4 drones each breeding cycle and work on flowers (or nothing, if you can find the breed that has that) at maximum production.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I made the items but I wasn't exactly sure how to get new traits. I have a bunch of bees and I sort of bred them together and stuck them in the apiaries to generate combs and more drones but all the drones seem to have the properties of the queen they were made from.

I guess I got the appropriate types to make dyes and royal jelly but I'm not sure how to make bees that work faster or whatever, can I induce mutations until I get a bee that has a better trait or something, and then extract that trait with a gene sample into a genetic template? I mean 1 dye every 2 minutes is not going to cut it for the purple quest. I'll end up needing an entire wall of industrial apiaries.

GenerikB's latest AS video has him setting up a rather compact Gendustry setup and he spends a few minutes explaining the traits thing (38 minutes in, i can't see to get the timelink to work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ8c4fe3e4o

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just as a heads up, it looks like there's some sort of issue with the ME Backup Battery in the Yogscast Complete pack. I just tried getting it set up and tried to move it and it crashed my game and corrupted the world.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bhodi posted:

I have two apiaries with some default bees I got from a reward bag making them but it seems like it's going to take forever.

Breed some Red Queens, then turn the red drops into purple dye by combining it with lapis. That doubles your output! Well, assuming you have a shitload of lapis, which you should. Also you only need like a couple thousand purple dye. Keep in mind you can autospawn purple sheep to collect their wool.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Edminster posted:

GenerikB's latest AS video has him setting up a rather compact Gendustry setup and he spends a few minutes explaining the traits thing (38 minutes in, i can't see to get the timelink to work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ8c4fe3e4o

38 minutes into a 37 minute long video?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Pidmon posted:

38 minutes into a 37 minute long video?

I would say I meant 33 but I was absolutely convinced it was at 38. Guess I need new glasses! (it is at the 33 minute mark)

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So turns out mods can help make server events pretty cool if used right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2lLx675CIA

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, I'm officially bewildered. I can't get an Osmium Compressor to take transfer node or itemduct inputs. I've gotten other Mekanism machines added to my AE system (a crusher and a metallurgic infuser), but this thing just won't take stuff from pipes and it's starting to annoy me. The sides are all set right and item nodes pick up the items, the compressor just refuses to take it. I just wanted to automate obsidian ingots. :(

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Echophonic posted:

Ok, I'm officially bewildered. I can't get an Osmium Compressor to take transfer node or itemduct inputs. I've gotten other Mekanism machines added to my AE system (a crusher and a metallurgic infuser), but this thing just won't take stuff from pipes and it's starting to annoy me. The sides are all set right and item nodes pick up the items, the compressor just refuses to take it. I just wanted to automate obsidian ingots. :(

Are you sure you have all the inputs set right? All the issues I have had with Mek and itemducts have always been me not setting the sides up correctly.

*edit get a Mek configure tool to check side colour I seem to remember most of my issue being that Mek and TE unpack a the block sides into the 2d map differently(IE what is back in TE is top in Mek or something like that).

*edit2: the setup.

Full Setup Details

purple is oss ingot, red is refined obs, green is power, blue is output.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 6, 2014

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Hagop posted:

*edit get a Mek configure tool to check side colour I seem to remember most of my issue being that Mek and TE unpack a the block sides into the 2d map differently(IE what is back in TE is top in Mek or something like that).

IIRC the mek block sides are based in what side you're looking at, not based on the front side of the block. So if you're looking at the top of the block, the middle output button correlates to the top, etc.

Basically Mek is a fantastic mod that has come a long way but configuring input/output is still a pain in the dick

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Well that explains it, just always use the drat wand thing it makes every thing simple.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I gave myself using console commands 10 cotton seeds in Agrian Skies because I was tired of bonemealing dirt and now the game crashes on start up. Is there an easy fix?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

Carados posted:

I gave myself using console commands 10 cotton seeds in Agrian Skies because I was tired of bonemealing dirt and now the game crashes on start up. Is there an easy fix?

Find the crash report and paste it on pastebin, then post it here. No way to tell without it. Crash reports is a separate folder wherever minecraft/AS is installed, get the newest one.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Find the crash report and paste it on pastebin, then post it here. No way to tell without it. Crash reports is a separate folder wherever minecraft/AS is installed, get the newest one.

http://pastebin.com/WRL6HP2i

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

Good start, now you wait around until someone knowledgeable about this swoops in and helps you.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Carados posted:

Did it crash as soon as you got the item, or did you plant them and now it's crashing? If the former, you can probably move your player.dat file out of the world folder and be able to play (but you'll lose your inventory/thaumcraft research/etc). If its the latter, well, hopefully you have a recent backup (or maybe you can worldedit it out?).

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm running into an odd problem in my AS playthrough...I just set up a bunch of harvesters/planters, with a chest buffer on the harvesters, itemducts with each planter having one seed type whitelisted, and seeds blacklisted from my tesseract. The tesseract is set to receive energy, send items. On the other end, the other tesseract is set to send energy and receive items, and pump the items it receives into barrels.

The problem comes in that while the machines get energy, the seeds make it back to the respective planters, my itemducts (set to redstone ignore) don't pull the crops out. Instead I have to manually go to the chests and fetch my lettuce, wheat, etc. Without the chest buffers, the itemducts would get stuffed and the harvester would stop working altogether.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

taiyoko posted:

I'm running into an odd problem in my AS playthrough...I just set up a bunch of harvesters/planters, with a chest buffer on the harvesters, itemducts with each planter having one seed type whitelisted, and seeds blacklisted from my tesseract. The tesseract is set to receive energy, send items. On the other end, the other tesseract is set to send energy and receive items, and pump the items it receives into barrels.

The problem comes in that while the machines get energy, the seeds make it back to the respective planters, my itemducts (set to redstone ignore) don't pull the crops out. Instead I have to manually go to the chests and fetch my lettuce, wheat, etc. Without the chest buffers, the itemducts would get stuffed and the harvester would stop working altogether.

From the sound of it you have a lot of crops trying to go through the tesseract, but itemducts aren't good enough at sending items to barrels. Barrels only get fed one item at a time by itemducts, and NOT in parallel. You will need to either set up a bunch of chest buffers on the barrel side so that you have multiple itemducts outputting to the barrels, or set up a small ME system over there so you can just use export buses.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Guess it's time to get moving on upgrading my quest-fulfillment 'babby's first ME system', then. I literally just have a 1k storage in a drive, controller, and crafting terminal (plus those precision import/export busses that I'm not yet using for anything).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Hagop posted:

Are you sure you have all the inputs set right? All the issues I have had with Mek and itemducts have always been me not setting the sides up correctly.

*edit2: the setup.

Full Setup Details

purple is oss ingot, red is refined obs, green is power, blue is output.

Yeah, I'm reasonably sure I'm setting it right. I even tried it with just a chest with a refined obsidian in it and an itemduct. The Configurator says I'm doing it right, even.

Click for big.

I NEI'd a second one to test with and it does the same thing. I've tried itemducts, item nodes, retrieval nodes, nothing seems to work. The slots just don't take it. This is the only thing stopping me from making Ultimate Energy Cubes with one click.

Also, TE and Mek do the same thing regarding face layouts, I have the same outputs no matter what side I click on. They match in functionality for faces in the versions in YogComplete.

taiyoko posted:

Guess it's time to get moving on upgrading my quest-fulfillment 'babby's first ME system', then. I literally just have a 1k storage in a drive, controller, and crafting terminal (plus those precision import/export busses that I'm not yet using for anything).

Do an auto-crafter first. Teach it how to make other ME components. :roboluv:

Hell, I taught mine to fill buckets and Tesseract frames with Resonant Ender. I'm really impressed at how powerful this is if you try to get clever with it.

Here's my machine room, for anyone that's interested. On the right are three Igneous Extruders set to make cobble, stone, and obsidian. They have storage busses in the back so I can use them as storage for each.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 7, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Exactly how hard is it to try to construct your own custom mod pack? Is it as simple as picking a version of MC, and choosing your mods or is there a lot of cfg tweaking that is needed to make sure that mods work together at all, with a lot of trial and error?

I only ask because I feel that most mod packs I try are way too bloated with things I absolutely do not want.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
I'm curious how people have been powering their MFR laser drills. If I put a tesseract over the center bit and redstone energy conduits from it to each of the four pre-chargers, it doesn't seem to power them fully. Do I have to power more sides of the tesseract connected to my power source, or connect more sides of the pre-chargers, or both?

Edit: Another question- which chunk loading mod lets you configure it so that if the person who placed the chunk loader(s) goes offline then they stop working? My husband's looking into getting a small server for some friends and I remember it being discussed at some point.

BlueOccamy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 7, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

BlueOccamy posted:

I'm curious how people have been powering their MFR laser drills. If I put a tesseract over the center bit and redstone energy conduits from it to each of the four pre-chargers, it doesn't seem to power them fully. Do I have to power more sides of the tesseract connected to my power source, or connect more sides of the pre-chargers, or both?

A single redstone energy conduit can only transfer 10k RF/t. This, conveniently, is how much you need to power four prechargers at 2500 RF/t each. If your input tessaract only has one connection, and you are using that channel to power other things, your prechargers won't get the benefit of the additional juice. If your power stack can generate more than 10k RF/t, you can connect multiple, isolated redstone energy conduits to the same tessaract, and the upper bound will increase by 10k for each.

Additionally, check your energy cells, if you are using them to buffer energy. They have a configurable choke on input and output, and in particular nothing but a resonant energy cell can output the full 10k.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Carados posted:

If you're using the latest version of AS on FTB, it should be keeping fairly regular backups. I can't quite remember where this is but if you dig around your AS folder it will be in there somewhere as a .rar. Try finding a version just before the crash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

So, uh, Blood Magic. It costs 30000LP to get a magician's orb to let me craft runes of augmented capacity, but the altar only holds 10000LP. Am I wrong in thinking you have to have all the blood ready to go during the infusion process, then? Or am I supposed to have a shitload of health potions and stuff to sacrifice just on hand whenever I want to make something big, rather than building up to it slowly?

• Locked thread