Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

si posted:

On the other hand, I have an 01 2.5RS that is around 115k miles and the center VC is still in good shape, despite being driven and RallyX'd to piss.

How do you know though?

Much like gradual suspension degradation, it's hard to quantify reduced functionality over time.

I know after I had my diff (and transmission) replaced, I noticed the following winter how much better the car was handling the snow, much better than it had for years. I never really placed anything as out of the ordinary before the failure though. However, the VC was likely at reduced functionality for years, probably not operating much better than an open diff.

Tuning of the programming would help a bit, but there's always the old adage. You gotta pay to play. Autocross is very punishing for all types of AWD systems due to the tight corning and potential for wheelspin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

si
Apr 26, 2004

bull3964 posted:

How do you know though?

Because I did 00 at 100 Acre Wood 2013 in it, and put tires off the ground in quite a few ditches/snow banks/trenches/water crossings, and I'd have been good and stuck otherwise (0 car was a FWD VW GTI and actually needed a bump in a couple of spots, terrible weather that year)

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Don't think I saw this posted yet, but Subaru has announced their pricing for the new Outbacks. As figured, not much of a change. - http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/610/1/subaru-announces-pricing-all-new-2015-outback

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
28,999 to drive off the lot good for a '15 base model WRX with nothing on it? That's all I could yank out of the dealer. I might be able to get another $500 out of him.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ouch. I paid about that (with tax, tag, etc) for a new '14 limited hatch.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
New England demand blah blah blah. It was the only one I could find within 50 miles of me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That including tax (if so, what is tax where you are)?

If so, that's a hair higher than MSRP. I don't think I would accept a price any higher than $500 over invoice and $100 over invoice would be more realistic.

Order one if you have to. IF they won't deal, tell them to pound sand.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

28,999 to drive off the lot good for a '15 base model WRX with nothing on it? That's all I could yank out of the dealer. I might be able to get another $500 out of him.

What's your zipcode because that seems crazy high? Just briefly checked truecar.com maybe for an on the lot car the price is higher...if that is the case you really should save your money and order one from a dealer unless you literally have no car.

Edit: saw your new post. If you're only searching 50 miles you don't care enough about saving money.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Includes tax, dealership fee, registration and purchase price. Tax is 6.35% in CT.

Use 06810 if you need a zip.

How far out should I be searching? At some point the travel costs will be more than what I would save.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 6, 2014

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

Includes tax, dealership fee, registration and purchase price. Tax is 6.35% in CT

How much is the registration and separately, the dealer fee?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Totally TWISTED posted:

How much is the registration and separately, the dealer fee?

I don't remember the exact numbers. They originally wanted around $29600 to drive it off the lot. $399 for dealership fee. $188 for registration.

edit: I told them something ridiculous like $27500 to drive off with it. So we couldn't come to an agreement. But I think I might give them a call. My particular situation requires this car in the next week or so.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 6, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

si posted:

The only real option is that for a road car they could switch to a mechanical center, but they behave differently in general, and might lose quite a bit of the Subaru feel and customers.

A Torsen style diff would act virtually the same as a center diff.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

http://www.truecar.com/m/prices-new/subaru/impreza-sedan-wrx-pricing/2014/4CA58AC3/

I assume that link will work 27970 or thereabouts all in price is what it looks like you should be paying to me. As you can see it would be worth it to search 500 miles for that price (you wouldn't have to pay taxes in the buyer state either - generally - check any states laws). Far enough and you can get the dealership to pick you up at the airport as the best travel means.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Holy poo poo, why does this have to be an automatic? If it was a manual, I would be VERY tempted to say screw waiting on the new OB, and snag a BRZ, (yea, yea, completely different vehicles, but I love the BRZs anyway). 2013 with less than 1k miles clear title at a subbie dealer, for just 14.1k. (NADA is listing retail at 24.8k for reference). WTF are they smoking over there? I can't see anything wrong in the pics, and I would imagine being a legit dealership they would be disclosing anything major with it.

Ugh, drat you auto trans, drat you.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-BRZ-...=US_Cars_Trucks

Edit - It's not a subbie dealer, it's some used truck dealership. A lifted/jacked used truck dealership at that. Talk about polar opposites if they got that BRZ in as a trade.....

Edit edit - I am a loving moron who can't read ebay auctions

Madbullogna fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 6, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's an auction and the reserve isn't met at 14k.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's an auction and the reserve isn't met at 14k.

Holy crap, this is why I shouldn't stay up this late.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They have the car listed on their website at $27,950 which is pretty much full sticker for a used car.

Not even canadian dealers are that scummy at this point. some even acknowledge used BRZs could possibly be worth than $30k

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

Includes tax, dealership fee, registration and purchase price. Tax is 6.35% in CT.

Use 06810 if you need a zip.

How far out should I be searching? At some point the travel costs will be more than what I would save.

True car has three dealers that will sell you that car for 26,800 +TT fees. So figure $29k out the door if you add nothing to it. Not sure how your state handles tax or if you have a trade in. In ga the trade in value is subtracted from the taxable value of the car.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
There is no trade in. This purchase will be as a result of family growing pains.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
Well then, your offer from the dealer looks to be what you could get from TrueCar without working too hard. Depending on how your tax law is there, you may be required to pay the 6.35% when you register the vehicle in your state, even if you bought it out of state. Also, if your family is growing, perhaps having a WRX isn't the best option? My kid's car seat pretty much dominates half of the backseat and forces the front seat to sit fairly close to the dash. Toss the stroller in the back and you are quickly running out of room. It works well for picking him up from day care or running a quick errand or two, but in reality, we always take the Outback as a family.

Honestly if you put a bit of leg work in and consider traveling to get the car, you may save yourself some coin off of invoice.

Aflicted fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 6, 2014

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Aflicted posted:

Honestly if you put a bit of leg work in and consider traveling to get the car, you may save yourself some coin off of invoice.

Highly agree with this statement. When I ordered/purchased my last Charger, I had issues getting my local dealers to meet me at a reasonable price. (I had the Chrysler Affiliate Plan, 1% under invoice). For the very first time, I decided to look out of state, and sent off an email to a fairly large/high-volume SRT dealership in Omaha, NE, (I'm in Central Texas). From that point on, everything was smooth sailing. I ordered my new car, (another first), was kept updated on the progress, and treated better than I've ever been by any dealership. They installed a catback exhaust for me, and then shipped it down to me in an enclosed transport truck, (Passport Transport).

All said and done, including my catback and the shipping, I was STILL 1% below invoice, (the car itself ended up being 3% under invoice, which was an even greater deal, especially on a new SRT). Paid my local State tax on it when I registered it.

It is definitely worth your time to look outside your local area. Whether you drive, fly, or ship your new baby to you, you can still save major dollars. And have an adventure while doing it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I need to flush the brake fluid on the Saabaru. What's the deal with the filter under the cap in the reservoir? Should I leave that in place when I add new fluid, or take it out with the cap?

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 28, 2018

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

rcman50166 posted:

There is no trade in. This purchase will be as a result of family growing pains.

Forester XT brah. Although I do wish I could hear how you try to justify the WRX to your partner for family reasons.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Does anyone know where I might be able to find lengths for these clutch hoses? I need to replace the clutch line from an 05 JDM STI, going into a clutch master cylinder on an 08 USDM WRX; I'd hate to get hung up on something as small as a line being short.

Hose-clutch, 37251AG020

and

Hose-clutch, 37251FE030

I'm trying to dot my i's for this 6 speed swap, but don't have access to the car at the moment.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The line you have for the push type clutch is longer than the pull-type 6-speed line. You should be able to use it, but might have to put an extra loop in it or something so that it's in the right place. The goodridge line for that is like $26 or you could probably get one at technafit in torrance.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fuelslt1 posted:

Got a '97 Outback for free. Put some mods on it so I could tell it was mine in the airport parking lot.

(I can't leave anything stock)

I am absurdly jealous of your rust-free free Outback.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Hollis Brown posted:

Forester XT brah. Although I do wish I could hear how you try to justify the WRX to your partner for family reasons.

I was on probation for being dumb so I couldn't comment. But that isn't what I meant. I don't have a car to trade in because my brother just got out of college and will need a car to drive to his big boy job. So he's getting what I used to drive.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
"I want something fun you want something practical, wrx has 4 doors, a big boot, awd and a turbo"

Ez.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Seriously though, the trunk on that car is huge.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am absurdly jealous of your rust-free free Outback.

For real, and look at that driveway, no cracks!

I always crack up watching that guy "techvets"'s videos on youtube, his neighbor is a MASTER subaru tech, and they do a bunch of work. guy never even reaches for a breaker bar.

You gotta be outta your mind to wrench for a living in the Northeast.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
All Subarus seem to have massive boots. It's great.

Is it a normal thing for American streets to have exactly the same houses like that, it's weird.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

All Subarus seem to have massive boots. It's great.

Is it a normal thing for American streets to have exactly the same houses like that, it's weird.

Not everyone, but if you live in the suburbs its pretty much all you see. Developments where all the houses look similar, then you go to another development and it looks different, but all those houses are similar.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I hauled a couch on top of my 97 Outback, while I had a recliner and the cushions for the couch in the back. It was hilarious(ly dangerous)!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Internet Explorer posted:

Not everyone, but if you live in the suburbs its pretty much all you see. Developments where all the houses look similar, then you go to another development and it looks different, but all those houses are similar.

The only time you ever see that in Australia is in a "display village" where a big house building company will build a heap of similar looking houses to show off their designs.

It would be really weird to live/drive through a suburb like that. You'd get lost so easily.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
We prefer to conform here in 'Murica, since originality is a major no-no. I'm in Texas, where every house looks the same as well, (though we use limestone facades cause we're special), and the only thing different is what color stain is on the garage and front door. Oh yea, and you are only allowed to park a pickup from one of the 'big 3' in your driveway. Lord help you if you want to do some landscaping, or paint your house a color that isn't one of the 5 pre-approved shades of the same color. Everything is VERY 'cookie-cutter' in the US, at least for most of the home developments built within the last 15 years. It's quite sad, just about the only way you can be unique is to be in a position to afford a few acres somewhere and custom build, so that you don't have to comply with [as many] homeowner association & deed restrictions. Nothing like the freedom of owning your own house, where the HOA can slap a lien on your property if you're 60 days late with your yearly HOA dues.

/end rant, I'm not bitter, not at all.

To stay relevant to the topic -- I am very, very jealous as well that you have such a purty subbie bestowed upon you. It looks to be in great shape.

Madbullogna fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 7, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, it's not just planned developments and HOAs.

My neighborhood was built in the early 50s (my house 1951) and there are mostly just 3 floorplans (3 bedroom ranch, two bedroom ranch, 3 bedroom two story.) This isn't just in my neighborhood, this is across the entire township.

Turns out things are cheaper to build when you are given a fixed number of models that only vary in superficial things. Next thing you know, they'll be doing it with cars.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 7, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

I hauled a couch on top of my 97 Outback, while I had a recliner and the cushions for the couch in the back. It was hilarious(ly dangerous)!

:smug:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I nearly fit my matress in the back of my impreza wagon, it was 10cm too long. I also managed to fit an entire Silvia s13 (240sx in America) front end. Subarus are good for hauling your poo poo.

Makes me wish that my wrx sedans seats went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I stuffed a 54" television and a third passenger in the back of my wagon for 200 miles :smug:

Then I packed all of my worldly belongings in it and moved clear across the country.

What a great car.