Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

theacox posted:

I joined this to have a little fun. Can we stop making GBS threads on people's picks?

Matt Dominguez bites the heads off of chickens before batting practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Sexual Lorax posted:

Matt Dominguez bites the heads off of chickens before batting practice.

:getin:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

mks5000 posted:

He's a plus defender in Centerfield who gets on base at an average clip. This late in the draft I'm pretty happy with that pick

Ehh on the CF defense, but the point is that yeah, you are getting an adequate outfielder with a good eye, no power at all, and no chance of anything more than that. If someone wants to roll the dice on a fun lottery ticket, you're not contractually obligated to be lovely about it.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

It's gonna be obvious who I'm talking about, but if a Punto is not suspended in real life but OOTP says he's suspended because he's taking time off, will that suspension be erased?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
I'm going through the team tabs in the draft spreadsheet for a few chuckles, and I just found LEFTY MADNESS. That poo poo's funny in a way that unfortunate taxidermy can't even touch. If the owner hadn't pointed it out, I never would have noticed.

Are there any historical teams in the majors that tried a sinister lineup like this, for real? I have no idea how much of an advantage a lefty batter actually has on a normal non-mutant pitcher, but some madman GM must have tried it at some point. gently caress, I don't even know if I have any lefty pitchers yet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

johnfw50 posted:

It's gonna be obvious who I'm talking about, but if a Punto is not suspended in real life but OOTP says he's suspended because he's taking time off, will that suspension be erased?

As far as I'm concerned Dempster is retired. I also torpedoed his ratings already so he wouldn't show up on autodraft (I did the same for A-Rod) I'd have to fix that and I have no idea what they were.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

IcePhoenix posted:

Some would argue that's part of the fun!

Also Sano isn't a bad pick, y'all are dumb.

e: well it was too early, but he's not going to be the worst third baseman and probably won't even be bottom ten.

Sano is probably gonna be a bottom-ten player, let alone third baseman. If he was sent straight from AA to MLB he'd be eaten alive.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
CJ Cron was a bad pick, but I was at a bar and couldn't remember all the people I wanted as a potential DH except him, and saw that I was up so yeah. I probably should have just asked IcePhoenix to autodraft for me.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

CJ Cron was someone I was looking at as a potential bench bat, not as an everyday player

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Sexual Lorax posted:

I'm going through the team tabs in the draft spreadsheet for a few chuckles, and I just found LEFTY MADNESS. That poo poo's funny in a way that unfortunate taxidermy can't even touch. If the owner hadn't pointed it out, I never would have noticed.

Are there any historical teams in the majors that tried a sinister lineup like this, for real? I have no idea how much of an advantage a lefty batter actually has on a normal non-mutant pitcher, but some madman GM must have tried it at some point. gently caress, I don't even know if I have any lefty pitchers yet.

It was only before my Scutaro pick that I even realized it myself. I decided to check everyone's handedness at that point and my only reaction was "Oh."

I guess I'm rolling with it for the most part, although now I've kinda forced my own hand in what bench players I need to go after.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Politicalrancor posted:

CJ Cron was someone I was looking at as a potential bench bat, not as an everyday player

If there's anyone left that people would be happy with as an everyday player, y'all have hosed up.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I mean at this point there aren't a lot of great players left. I think Cron at least has that power upside. I can think of a couple guys left who might be better overall hitters but I don't think they have Cron's potential to hit dingers.

I think it's a lot more shameful we let Jay slide as far as he did. He's not a guy who does any one thing exceptionally well but he's a reasonably good all-around player with a slight weakness in his defense in center field (but not terrible).

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 6, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We had a ton of picks yesterday guys, let's do it again today because I have a wedding to go to tomorrow afternoon :haw:

Start us off strong, Politicalrancor!

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

We had a ton of picks yesterday guys, let's do it again today because I have a wedding to go to tomorrow afternoon :haw:

Were you thinking about speeding up the clock again for the last rounds, or is three hours working well enough for people?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sexual Lorax posted:

Were you thinking about speeding up the clock again for the last rounds, or is three hours working well enough for people?

Two hours is a really short time, I'm not sure I want to go down to that yet. If you guys think I should though I'm open to it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I think Pitt's skipped?

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Pander posted:

I think Pitt's skipped?

Yeah, his clock ran out like a half hour ago.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Laderhan posted:

Yeah, his clock ran out like a half hour ago.

Yeah, it's been busy at work today so I wasn't able to post it. It's ok though you can pick without me confirming a skip!

Washington don't forget that Pit gets doubleskipped after Colorado picks!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If you still have that effort post on Jeter somewhere, mentholmoose, put it in here when you have the chance. I want to read it because we should all get the chance to bask in Jeter's light one last time.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
So what countries are available to choose from? I know some players have been selected from Japan.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I was thinking of getting Eric Chavez instead of Uribe, really neat pick in a no-injury environment.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Monicro posted:

I was thinking of getting Eric Chavez instead of Uribe, really neat pick in a no-injury environment.

I just worry about his age affecting his defense.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'd actually not be too opposed to think about a 1 for 1 swap, cause until you took uribe he was my punto.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Haha nah I'm happy with Uribe, sorry. Now if you want to swap First Basemen however :v:

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I was really hoping to nostalgia-pick Jeets after I'm done grabbing my rotation, dang.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Monicro posted:

Haha nah I'm happy with Uribe, sorry. Now if you want to swap First Basemen however :v:

Adam LaRoche doesn't exactly set my loins afire, but yeah, it's risky to go for a guy who juuuuuuust got his first MLB at bat at a bat-first position.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jubs posted:

So what countries are available to choose from? I know some players have been selected from Japan.

They have to have played in the MLB because if they haven't then I don't think they have a player card for me to "unretire" them from.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I came very close to taking Rosenthal instead of Floyd. Nice pick IP.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

I came very close to taking Rosenthal instead of Floyd. Nice pick IP.

Thanks, when all the RP started flying off the board I was thrilled he made it through because he was the top one on my board.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Thanks, when all the RP started flying off the board I was thrilled he made it through because he was the top one on my board.

And this is why I've learned to not get my hopes up until my pick gets a lot closer, because this goddamned Punto was who I wanted next.

YOU SANK MY BATTLESHIP

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
i was hoping jeter would go to boston just for the hilarity of it.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

drat, Melancon was going to be my first RP pick.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Me too :negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm going to be gone most of today guys so please keep the draft moving along!

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Seattle will be skipped in about 15 minutes, and I've got my pick ready to go.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Isn't someone else up now?

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

tadashi posted:

Isn't someone else up now?

Yeah, Detroit's been up about an hour now.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Thanks for quickening the pace, guys, and I'm sorry I was temporarily inactive. Went to Grandparents' 50th anniversary.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Baltimore has used nine minutes of their clock as of the freeze a few minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just a heads up if I'm late to a pick, pm me. I'll get emailed and notified on my phone. I was out all day so sorry for the late pick.

• Locked thread