Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

OK I am getting in on this poo poo after work. The MKTV thing is goddamned brilliant, it looks like Nintendo is finally understanding The Internet. I have some quick questions:

1) MY BOYFRIEND is going to play too. My options for other controllers are the Wiimote and the Wii Classic Controller. Is the classic the way to go? Also do I need to hook up the sensor bar for him to use the classic?

2) Related: options for local multiplayer? It sounds like we can BOTH play online at the same time? Pretty rad. Also, is battle mode back? I haven't heard much buzz about it.

3) I haven't played much MK since 64. It sounds like there are a lot more items/karts/mechanics now? What do I need to know?

JordanKai posted:

I managed to hit a pretty sweet green shell today. It bounced like 5 times and went off a ramp before finally hitting the person I tossed it at. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any good angles on it in MKTV without it also cutting most of the bounces, but here it is anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfojHG9UfyA

Oh my god the way Roy looks over his shoulder with a little fist pump as the shell hits its mark :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HondaCivet posted:

OK I am getting in on this poo poo after work. The MKTV thing is goddamned brilliant, it looks like Nintendo is finally understanding The Internet. I have some quick questions:

1) MY BOYFRIEND is going to play too. My options for other controllers are the Wiimote and the Wii Classic Controller. Is the classic the way to go? Also do I need to hook up the sensor bar for him to use the classic?

2) Related: options for local multiplayer? It sounds like we can BOTH play online at the same time? Pretty rad. Also, is battle mode back? I haven't heard much buzz about it.

3) I haven't played much MK since 64. It sounds like there are a lot more items/karts/mechanics now? What do I need to know?

Oh my god the way Roy looks over his shoulder with a little fist pump as the shell hits its mark :magical:

1) Classic Controller will work just fine, and I don't think you'll need to have a sensor bar handy for it. It doesn't require any pointer selecting, just press A.

2) Yes, you can take 2 local players online. Battle mode is in, but its half-assed and sucks. Instead of new arenas, there are modified circular version of existing tracks and they're way too big.

3) There are bikes now, most of them handle pretty much like Karts, a couple have wacky different drifting mechanics. The items are all fairly easy to figure out with practice, but a couple specific points: The super horn can destroy a Blue Shell. Stars seem to not last as long as in previous games and there's no indication that its about to run out, you just suddenly stop being invincible.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
1) Sensor bar isn't needed, just press A on the controller when prompted.

2) Yes you can both play online at the same time. Battle mode is back but they didn't make any dedicated tracks, you just chase each other down on the race tracks.

3) Go fast, be a bastard and prepare to get into lots of arguments with your bf.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jivjov posted:

Stars seem to not last as long as in previous games and there's no indication that its about to run out, you just suddenly stop being invincible.

Actually if you keep an eye on the item icon, there's a countdown for all time-duration-based and usage-count-based items.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

DarthBlingBling posted:

1) Sensor bar isn't needed, just press A on the controller when prompted.

2) Yes you can both play online at the same time. Battle mode is back but they didn't make any dedicated tracks, you just chase each other down on the race tracks.

3) Go fast, be a bastard and prepare to get into lots of arguments with your bf.

The true test of a relationship. :getin:

Oops forgot to ask: Are any stores doing any promos on the game by itself? I didn't see any so I was just going to pick it up from wherever but I thought I'd ask first.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Buy it and register the game on Club Nintendo before the end of the month and get a free Wii U game. Depends on where you're from however; seems we in the EU get the best deal!

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Actually if you keep an eye on the item icon, there's a countdown for all time-duration-based and usage-count-based items.

The Star leaves your item tray after you use it, though. As such, there's no real way to know how long it lasts for unless you pay attention to the music cue.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I feel like I can avoid red shells easier than green shells in 8. Red ones seem to be easier to get them to smash into things before they get to you.

I think it just seems that way. When the "red shell approaching" indicator appears, that doesn't always mean it's locked onto you. It could be going after someone behind you or even in front of you. Unless you put an item between it and yourself, red shell homing is pretty solid.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Have you played online at all? It's also possible you preloaded yourself with a bunch of coins from online or repeat time trial play that went unclaimed, and you got notifications each time you went back to the menu because the game will only recognize one unlock at a time until the part has been uncovered, regardless of how many multiple coin milestones you may have reached.

Say someone had 1000 coins, and they earned about 300 coins through a good long online session, clearly not keeping count of just how many they actually ended their races with. They would then exit to the menu to find only one notification of a part unlock waiting for them, they would then go into maybe a grand prix after that, and get another notice at the title screen, falsely making them think that you can have more than 10 coins counted per race.

Granted that example would only unfold that way should they be unaware of the strange "one part at a time" nature of the part notifications, since if you wanted to claim all the parts you got, you gotta go all the way into the kart customization screen, open the box, and then fully back out to the main menu to claim another unlock, then repeat the process until the main menu doesn't say anything anymore.
First thing I did after booting the game for the very first time was four grand prix in a row and I unlocked a new part after every single one.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really do wonder how the coins work. I'm missing a couple of parts I'd really like to have, and I thought every coin you pick up counts towards the total... they clearly do not. The easiest and most consistent place to check this is Toads Turnpike, since there are a lot of coins that are very easy to collect. Doing a VS-race with, say, 3 races does not unlock the next 100-coin mark even though you'd be way above if it counted every coin.

Maybe it counts total picked up in Grand Prix/Online and max 10 in VS?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Booted this up for the first time after driving for 4 hours. I am not used to having to look down for a map. Also the AI seems to have been improved. I was nearly 2nd on a 100cc cup which would be sacrilege on other versions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

greatn posted:

A good deal of reds and greens I can tell the difference, but Mario shells are confounding, almost always the opposite of what I thought.
Green Shells have the hole facing the left on the icon, and red shells have the hole facing the right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Outta my way, losers!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

JordanKai posted:

I managed to hit a pretty sweet green shell today. It bounced like 5 times and went off a ramp before finally hitting the person I tossed it at. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any good angles on it in MKTV without it also cutting most of the bounces, but here it is anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfojHG9UfyA

How are people adding music to the Mario Kart youtube videos?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Dugong posted:

Booted this up for the first time after driving for 4 hours. I am not used to having to look down for a map. Also the AI seems to have been improved. I was nearly 2nd on a 100cc cup which would be sacrilege on other versions.

Even the very first one? I mean, I gotta admit, I would like to have all those seemingly wasted coins count since I'm on the long road to that dumb glider, but I haven't actually seen anything concrete that would point out that's actually how it works.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Spacebump posted:

How are people adding music to the Mario Kart youtube videos?

these videos aren't from MK TV.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need to take a break from the game now

Why does this keep happening

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Your Computer posted:

I really do wonder how the coins work. I'm missing a couple of parts I'd really like to have, and I thought every coin you pick up counts towards the total... they clearly do not. The easiest and most consistent place to check this is Toads Turnpike, since there are a lot of coins that are very easy to collect. Doing a VS-race with, say, 3 races does not unlock the next 100-coin mark even though you'd be way above if it counted every coin.

Maybe it counts total picked up in Grand Prix/Online and max 10 in VS?

I'm pretty sure it does count every coin, it's just dumb and can only unlock one item each time you open the Singleplayer menu. I got about 100 coins from a VS and I had to open the menu twice to get both cart parts.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Think I just played with some goons maybe? Frog Dawg, Dad, and Daddy (not in the same location)?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is it some kind of sick joke that the only items it gives me on Rainbow Road are mushrooms?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Regy Rusty posted:

Is it some kind of sick joke that the only items it gives me on Rainbow Road are mushrooms?

Whenever I get a golden mushroom on Rainbow Road I just cry.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
Some guy got credit for first place in an online race even though the replay clearly shows that he places third. What gives?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've three starred every cup now. It's pretty satisfying, although it basically amounts to "Get ahead and time trial"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Crusher posted:

Whenever I get a golden mushroom on Rainbow Road I just cry.

My last race I got a golden mushroom, a bunch of triple and single mushrooms, and when I was way in the back already weeping at my chances for a gold cup: a star.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Alright, I just started a new file on a different user account, and I can 100% confirm that no coins past the 10 limit will be counted per race. I was collecting 10+ coins over the limit per track in the mushroom cup, but at the end it only counted exactly what I had ended the races with, and I still had to make up to difference with a time trial at the end.

So please, stop with your false crackpot theories that the extra coins count, because they do not. Up to 10 per race, that's all.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Mayheim posted:

Some guy got credit for first place in an online race even though the replay clearly shows that he places third. What gives?

Happened to me last night, exactly as you state it. I don't know why this is such a common thing lately, since my first week with the game was fine. I can only assume it's a lag issue (despite items seeming to hit enemies fine).

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Regy Rusty posted:

Better learn how to drift around corners while boosting :getin:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Better learn how to drift around corners while boosting :getin:

I can't do it :negative:

E: I just somehow got gold with 46 points overall. :stare:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 7, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
These gunnerkrigg avatars are really messing with me

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I've three starred every cup now. It's pretty satisfying, although it basically amounts to "Get ahead and time trial"

I don't know how you manage this on some courses. Pirhana Slide for example always devolves into some huge item clusterfuck on 150 CC. I did manage to block a Blue Shell with the horn on my gold run through though. It was at the end on the very last lap and would have for sure knocked me down to around 3rd or so. It was very satisfying.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I find it's actually easier to make a turn when I boost after I start drifting, than if I boost on the straight leading up to the corner, which usually ends in me starting the drift too late. Once you're in the drift adjusting it for the extra speed is pretty easy, the most difficult part is getting the approach to the corner right.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Throwing my two cents onto the awesome Mario Kart 8 replay bandwagon.

Bob-omb vs. red shell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fiYzZeCB6c

A goddamn close finish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whakd2RctMo

Adding the replay function to this game might be the smartest decision anyone has ever made in the history of video games.

Baba Yaga Fanboy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 7, 2014

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Alright, I just started a new file on a different user account, and I can 100% confirm that no coins past the 10 limit will be counted per race. I was collecting 10+ coins over the limit per track in the mushroom cup, but at the end it only counted exactly what I had ended the races with, and I still had to make up to difference with a time trial at the end.

So please, stop with your false crackpot theories that the extra coins count, because they do not. Up to 10 per race, that's all.

Good to know. I think I was getting confused because prior to having 1000 coins, I would do 3 or 4 GP races and unlock an item after completing each one. What must have happened is I had maybe 49 coins going into the first GP, and then there would be carry over between GPs when rolling over the "50 coin" mark (e.g. 49 going into 1st GP, then 39, 29, 19, getting items after each GP, and assuming I kept getting a maximum of 40 coins per GP). Then I might have one GP race where I would go from 9 coins to 49 with no new item, and then another string of races with new items at the end of each of them.

Unrelated: Sometime I'll hold the ZR button so long while drifting, I'll think that ZR is being used for acceleration and let go of of the A button at the end of the turn. :(

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 7, 2014

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I'm usually an inside drifter with Lakitu, but I decided to mix it up a bit while playing mirror mode today. Experimented with different bike and kart combos.

Goddamn, going from outside drift back to inside drift after that was loving bizarre feeling. Even though I'm usually much more use to inside drift. Got killed when I played some Goon Tourney, since inside drifting felt strange again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

One thing I hope gets patched is the ability to change characters without leaving lobby. Was in a goon room as Toadette but it started filling up. Decided I wanted to change as I was getting knocked around but couldn't rejoin the very same room :negative:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

Green Shells have the hole facing the left on the icon, and red shells have the hole facing the right.

THANK YOU. This has confounded me for years.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm so glad to find someone else with the same voodoo curse that I have.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Replace Rainbow Road with "practically every track" and you've got my item roulette luck. Give me weapons damnit! :argh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man goons really hate the new rainbow road huh? Just had a race there and after it was done everyone cleared out.

Edit: Also I feel bad for you Geordi, I think you attempted the shortcut on RR with me but got zapped into the abyss, looked down at the map screen and winced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

This has gotta be one of the most gif-able games to come out recently

Online was weird as hell for me last night though, people's score kept jumping from 0 to 500 or whatever in race to race.

e: dumb question - how do I view the map on the gamepad? Mine always pops up with the race happening instead and I can't figure out how to switch it

• Locked thread