Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I remember reading a story ~10 years ago where a guy had imported a Mk2 VW Golf Rallye from Canada, unsure if he ever had it registered or what, but he'd tried selling it to someone who could with no success. The feds found out he had it and ordered him to hand it over to be crushed... and he did, but not before sawing off the rallye-specific body panels (basically 3/4 of the car) to swap onto another legit shell.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2963211-Here-is-what-is-left-of-my-Rallye..............

NoWake fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

Now let's get a picture from the other angle that shows they're all parked there because the car in front of them is high centered on a speedbump.

edit: here's the wrong way to transport a BMW X6

Russian_bodyshop.gif

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Now let's get a picture from the other angle that shows they're all parked there because the car in front of them is high centered on a speedbump.

edit: here's the wrong way to transport a BMW X6

Thats an X6 so thats actually the correct way to transport it. To the junkyard where it belongs.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Powershift posted:

edit: here's the proper way to transport a BMW X6

Fixed that for ya.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I heard this story {please feel free to find it for me or prove me wrong) but where people in New York or something were boosting Ferraris, stripping them out and dumping the frame out somewhere. Frame would be recovered and auctioned off as the insurance already covered the loss. And surprise surprise guess who wins the auction for the remaining frame and what have yous.... The guy who just acquired a legally registered Ferrari for pennies.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

I heard this story {please feel free to find it for me or prove me wrong) but where people in New York or something were boosting Ferraris, stripping them out and dumping the frame out somewhere. Frame would be recovered and auctioned off as the insurance already covered the loss. And surprise surprise guess who wins the auction for the remaining frame and what have yous.... The guy who just acquired a legally registered Ferrari for pennies.

I can't speak for NY Ferraris specifically but criminals the world over do this with any brand of car you care to name, or variations thereof. For example, they steal and strip the car, then let it be found and recovered. They also run a body shop. Insurance companies here use an online auction system where parts suppliers make quotation bids on repair jobs; the lowest bid wins so it reduces the parts supplier margins to next to nothing. One of two things happens:

1. The crooks win the auction by having the lowest price, get given the car, re-fit the parts, pocket the profits.
2. The car gets written off. The crooks win the write-off auction, refit everything, re-comply the car and pocket the profits.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Registering a car that was salvage / theft recovery isn't easy, you have to document all the parts you use (receipts for everything, with VINs for applicable used parts) and the inspector can reject it for any reason, as in he doesn't like your face. I'm sure it can be done, but "laundering" a car, much less a Ferrari, is a shitload more risky than even boosting it.

I figured cars like that end up in a shipping container going to South America.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Neptr posted:

Registering a car that was salvage / theft recovery isn't easy, you have to document all the parts you use (receipts for everything, with VINs for applicable used parts) and the inspector can reject it for any reason, as in he doesn't like your face. I'm sure it can be done, but "laundering" a car, much less a Ferrari, is a shitload more risky than even boosting it.

Just register it in a more lax or more corrupt jurisdiction. That jurisdiction may be also coincidentally be in South America.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slavvy posted:

I can't speak for NY Ferraris specifically but criminals the world over do this with any brand of car you care to name, or variations thereof. For example, they steal and strip the car, then let it be found and recovered. They also run a body shop. Insurance companies here use an online auction system where parts suppliers make quotation bids on repair jobs; the lowest bid wins so it reduces the parts supplier margins to next to nothing. One of two things happens:

1. The crooks win the auction by having the lowest price, get given the car, re-fit the parts, pocket the profits.
2. The car gets written off. The crooks win the write-off auction, refit everything, re-comply the car and pocket the profits.

That's an old stunt. When I handled auto claims in the 80s there was an old chestnut of a story making the rounds (via photocopy!) about an insured who had his Corvette stolen, and the stripped shell recovered. When he later picked up the completed car, his original keys fit the locks. Lock replacement/re-keying was not done by the shop.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I saw that all the time when my dad and I first started shopping salvage auctions. You'd see a perfect condition Honda civic or accord with the entire interior stripped out, listed as theft recovery. The cops started following auction winners home and that was the end of that. Haven't seen one like that in a while.

Neptr posted:

That depends entirely on jurisdiction. In some cases it's very easy. In Colorado you just list the parts you replaced, and you can leave certain more difficult parts off the list if you want to be shady. Like last time I swapped the dash the inspector told me you can't keep the car's VIN tag and transfer it to the new part (which I found out later is not true). He made me get a state issued VIN which added time and cost to the process. If I do another one I just won't tell him I swapped it.

I think I've told this story before, but the funniest case of title laundering that my dad (accidentally) got away with was one where a tow company who knew he did Volvos called him up and asked if he wanted a car they towed. Nobody claimed it so they put a lien on it, got a new title and sold it to my dad. It was exactly the kind of car my dad would buy, enough minor damage to total it but still driveable. He also noted it was the same model and color as one he had just bought from auction, so he thought maybe he could use some of the parts to fix whichever one was nicer. He put it in his inventory and when he went to file the paperwork in his cabinet, he found he already had a file with that VIN number.

Turns out it was the exact car he had just bought at auction. Someone stole it off his lot, joyrode it and abandoned it. He had so many cars ahead of it to fix at the time he didn't notice it missing, and the lien process returned a clean title to the tow company. This is because the car was salvaged in another state, and the states don't talk to each other to flag titles like that yet. Once there's a national vehicle database this won't be possible.

It was 100% unintentional but perfectly legal simply due to the current policies and processes of the DMV.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 6, 2014

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Neptr posted:

Linedance posted:

Just register it in a more lax or more corrupt jurisdiction. That jurisdiction may be also coincidentally be in South America.

Not necessarily that far south.

Back in the early '80s a (supposedly) wealthy guy moved into the territory and set up a new Chevy / GM dealership. His dealership was the first one to directly offer financing via GMAC, and he priced his cars (with financing) below those every other local dealer. They structured their financing in a fashion similar to the way that the rent-to-own furniture places do - people made their monthly, biweekly (!) or weekly (!!!!) vehicle payments directly to the dealership, and only received the title once they'd paid off the entire purchase price.

... yeah.

Fraud. Massive, massive fraud. The dealer sold some legitimate new stock, but was also selling ex-rental cars with the odometers rolled back, cars with "washed" titles - some salvage, some stolen. They were also selling the same car to multiple parties - reselling cars which they themselves repoed - as new.

Each car that left the lot gained the dealership another check from GMAC.

FFwd about 6 years. GMAC noticed that this dealership was originating loans in numbers which far exceeded the amount of vehicles shipped to them, and that hundreds of those loans were ending in default.

Before taking action GMAC allegedly notified the dealer in writing of the exact date that a crew of auditors would be arriving to investigate.

Two weeks after the (alleged!) receipt of that letter the dealership's owner claimed a family emergency and abruptly left the island. Shortly after that the dealership itself closed up shop - lights left on, gates padlocked, remaining inventory of cars left rotting in the lot.

One week later saw the arrival of GMAC's audit team and subsequently the public unraveling of the thievery which had transpired. Most of the dealerships records were gone, presumed destroyed. Bank accounts cleaned out, all cash on hand missing. The owner & upper level management were gone - condos and apartments empty, cars abandoned at the airport.

Particularly hosed were the 900+ people that suddenly learned that the cars which they'd been making payments on for years were still the property of GMAC. As far as the General was concerned, these vehicles were all collateral on defaulted loans, and GM wanted their collateral back.

Basically - if your VIN matched one on GMAC's master loan list and you didn't have the title for your car or truck and you didn't have or couldn't raise enough cash to pay the original MSRP :stare: for it within 7 days of notification you were hosed. Surrender the vehicle and the keys or go to jail.

I was a junior loan officer with Chase back then... you want this bank to loan you original MSRP on a 1983 Citation with body damage? In 1988? No I'm sorry I can't authorize a loan for original MSRP on a two-year old '84 Sprint which your son has "customized" with painted-on murals and a boomin' stereo. So you need a loan for original MSRP on a three-year old HD 3500 pickup truck chassis which you've turned into a safari bus?

:gonk:

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 6, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They probably would have gotten away with it, but margie gunderson just wouldn't give up.

If the manager didn't get sloppy and pull a car off the lot to pay those guys to kidnap his wife, he might have been able to talk his way out of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PainterofCrap posted:

That's an old stunt. When I handled auto claims in the 80s there was an old chestnut of a story making the rounds (via photocopy!) about an insured who had his Corvette stolen, and the stripped shell recovered. When he later picked up the completed car, his original keys fit the locks. Lock replacement/re-keying was not done by the shop.
When my parents lived in Glasgow, "insurance" meant "If your place has been burgled, a wise man would buy the owner of the nearest pawn shop a pint or two before relating his tale of woe".

Powershift posted:

If the manager didn't get sloppy and pull a car off the lot to pay those guys to kidnap his wife, he might have been able to talk his way out of it.
:golfclap: I don't think you needed to go that far...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

buttcrackmenace posted:

Basically - if your VIN matched one on GMAC's master loan list and you didn't have the title for your car or truck and you didn't have or couldn't raise enough cash to pay the original MSRP :stare: for it within 7 days of notification you were hosed. Surrender the vehicle and the keys or go to jail.

I was a junior loan officer with Chase back then... you want this bank to loan you original MSRP on a 1983 Citation with body damage? In 1988? No I'm sorry I can't authorize a loan for original MSRP on a two-year old '84 Sprint which your son has "customized" with painted-on murals and a boomin' stereo. So you need a loan for original MSRP on a three-year old HD 3500 pickup truck chassis which you've turned into a safari bus?

:gonk:

So at that point the 83 Citation is 5 years old and damaged... you presumably got some use out of it, wouldn't it be wisest to just let GM have the car back? Accept that you just had a really fucky lease, you're no longer making payments or whatever, go buy a used car somewhere, for god's sake don't spend original MSRP on a 5 year old damaged car.

Edit: also for gently caress's sake it's an 83 Citation, be happy that GM is taking it off your hands

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LloydDobler posted:

Turns out it was the exact car he had just bought at auction. Someone stole it off his lot, joyrode it and abandoned it. He had so many cars ahead of it to fix at the time he didn't notice it missing, and the lien process returned a clean title to the tow company.

So he bought the same car twice? What did he do once he found out it was originally stolen?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

walmart, like you even had to ask

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

So at that point the 83 Citation is 5 years old and damaged... you presumably got some use out of it, wouldn't it be wisest to just let GM have the car back? Accept that you just had a really fucky lease, you're no longer making payments or whatever, go buy a used car somewhere, for god's sake don't spend original MSRP on a 5 year old damaged car.

Edit: also for gently caress's sake it's an 83 Citation, be happy that GM is taking it off your hands

That's kind of one way to look at foreclosure, yeah. I wouldn't call it wise to default on a loan, though.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Sudo Echo posted:

Wrong thread. Well, maybe the paint belongs here, but as a bike hauler, that is pretty cool.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sudo Echo posted:

Kerbal Car Program

poo poo, now I want that to exist :(

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DILLIGAF posted:

Wrong thread. Well, maybe the paint belongs here, but as a bike hauler, that is pretty cool.

I do appreciate that he went to the effort of getting six matching wheels for that thing but I have doubts about the structural integrity. There's no triangulation where the trailer meets the van, one good bump and it'll fold in half like a rusted out Toyota truck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Kerbal Car Program

There's actually a goon working on a game kind of like that. You build a car out of some basic blocks and mount guns on it, then drive around and shoot other players with it road warrior style.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sudo Echo posted:

That owns.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Sudo Echo posted:

It's no boatvan.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ExplodingSims posted:

It's no boatvan.

You mean, like this?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Uthor posted:

So he bought the same car twice? What did he do once he found out it was originally stolen?

He just fixed it and sold it like he originally planned. Just took a little hit on the profit, but having the title laundered from salvage to clean helped out. Fortunately it also wasn't an expensive car. One of those $1000 at auction, $600 from the tow guy, $2995 retail once fixed kind of cars.

Edit: It wasn't originally stolen, it was lightly damaged but enough to total it. So it went to auction. He bought it, then while he owned it someone stole it from him and abandoned it. Then the tow guy picked it up, got a new title, and sold it back to him, and only after all that did he figure out what happened.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 7, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Edit: It wasn't originally stolen

Yeah, sorry, I got that. I meant stolen from him. Guess I worded it wrong.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Kerbal Car Program

For maximum :jeb: it would need real flames coming out everywhere, not just the painted on ones.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

He just fixed it and sold it like he originally planned. Just took a little hit on the profit, but having the title laundered from salvage to clean helped out. Fortunately it also wasn't an expensive car. One of those $1000 at auction, $600 from the tow guy, $2995 retail once fixed kind of cars.

Edit: It wasn't originally stolen, it was lightly damaged but enough to total it. So it went to auction. He bought it, then while he owned it someone stole it from him and abandoned it. Then the tow guy picked it up, got a new title, and sold it back to him, and only after all that did he figure out what happened.

So did he tell the eventual buyer that this (presumably unibody) car had been totaled and repaired despite being on a clean title? I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a car on clean title and it turned out to have been salvage.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

xzzy posted:

There's actually a goon working on a game kind of like that. You build a car out of some basic blocks and mount guns on it, then drive around and shoot other players with it road warrior style.
Well, poo poo, do you have a link to the thread?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Zemyla posted:

Well, poo poo, do you have a link to the thread?

He posts in the Making Games thread and the Game Developement one. Can't remember his name, but this is his game.

http://www.scrapsgame.com/

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Bondematt posted:

He posts in the Making Games thread and the Game Developement one. Can't remember his name, but this is his game.

http://www.scrapsgame.com/

He has a project.log thread too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563978

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

BabyMauler posted:

I really want to know how one got over there haha. American cars look so out of place in Euroland.
-

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 6, 2018

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ah, yes, the rare Volkswagen Sunchaser.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
While returning home recently from a dog walk I encountered this monstrosity minutes from my road:

edit: Goddamn imgur, what are you playing at

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 7, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

"The fairies made me do it."

Don't blame your car on the gays, they have better taste...

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 7, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

While returning home recently from a dog walk I encountered this monstrosity minutes from my road:

Sweet Jesus, is this a thing now? I took these pictures in Waco, Texas a few months ago and the similarities are striking. At least the ratty Chevy is more honest about its white trash heritage? IDK...

Yes I know I posted it in this same thread, I just needed to see them next to each other :colbert:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That's just begging to be changed to "FAIRYSLUTS". All it would take is a heat gun and some fishing line plus glue to put the letters back.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I can't find the thing now, but in the craigslist thread there was Lamborghini Countach made from a Fiero in Ohio. Well that guy is in my town and there's a car show below my apartment today. The car has been here for the past 2 car shows, and I always assumed it was an actual Countach. It's got some fat rear end tires and everything. If you didn't tell me it was a Fiero I would have had no idea, but now that I know it's easy to see in things like the dash and console hump. It was clear that a lot of work and thought went into it.

He kept the 2.8 V6 in it, making all of 140 HP new. I used to be into Fieros quite heavily and know the ins and outs of the cars. I had asked him why he hadn't swapped in a SC 3800 or something, since they swap in fairly easily and simply. His reply?

"Too much work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Isn't Jordan known for going around in one similarly done up?