Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I hadn't bought anything from the shop, so all I had was Fist and Sword. Used 8 or 9 continues on the first non-prologue mission.

EDIT: I didn't think something as...vital as a dodge or block move would be ostensibly "optional" shop content. Hopefully now that I have these forbidden powers, things will be smoother.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I hadn't bought anything from the shop, so all I had was Fist and Sword. Used 8 or 9 continues on the first non-prologue mission.

Ah, it's classic Platinum "Well why didn't you buy the dodge moves that are integral to the game?!!? We made them the cheapest thing in the upgrade store and everything!" I have no idea why you just don't have Guts and Spring from the beginning.

Plus W101 has so many god-dang weirdo little mechanics going on in the background and everything looks a little chaotic at first- you definitely need some time to figure everything out before the game "clicks".

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Fyi, I just got the black pro controller for 10 bucks off at amazon.

Not a bad deal.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Renoistic posted:

I just went past that part and it definitely was the nicest area so far. I always enjoy some nice snow effects. The shell monsters were more involving to fight than the other monsters as well. I kept thinking of it as the "ice temple" coming straight after the "fire temple" though.

I just mastered the half pipe and got the double jump ability. I've backtracked to the first area - does that mean I've seen most of areas of the game already?

Seing Samus' eyes reflected on the visor is pretty cool by the way. And kind of unnerving.

You know how you explore Norfair in Super Metroid, after you get the Varia suit, and then you go and do Maridia and come back and find there's an entire underground section of Norfair that's just as big?

Metroid Prime's like that. Every area you've been to has a whole 'nother section that's walled off until you get a new beam weapon or other power ups. The game is really cavernous and labyrinthine, and you're heavily encouraged to just wander around and see what you can see. Now that you have the Space Jump, you're capable of getting a lot of hidden power ups, although you'll be even more flexible with the next big power up you'll earn in the Drifts, as well as encounter one of the harder gauntlets in the game.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Everyone needs to shut the gently caress up about Metroid Prime because i've got a huge back catalog including finishing Mario Kart 8 out and cracking into Tropical Freeze and I don't have time to play through Prime 1 again...

But I really really want to now.

Also firing off the 'Wavebuster Ghostbuster Gun Blast Thingy' is one of the most satisfying things ever.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 6, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JordanKai posted:

How do you even make it through the day, then?

I live a tormented existence of liking bad games.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is 3DWorld not universally loved? I honestly think it's the best Mario game ever made.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Not many people have bought it so far, so it's hard to say. I mean it has 2 million worldwide sales which is great for Wii U, but time will tell if it will have long legs on a system that is barely in any homes.

I do wish more people would play it because it's great, though. They need to replace the NSMBU bundle with Mario 3D World.

sp00nman
May 14, 2004

All this Christmas spirit is gives me a raging boner!

Little Mac posted:

Is 3DWorld not universally loved? I honestly think it's the best Mario game ever made.
I am in the same boat as you.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Little Mac posted:

3D World is probably to closest thing to a perfect video game that I've ever played. It's an absolute joy and about as well polished as something could possibly be.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

3DS world owns but I could see people getting annoyed at how slowly it starts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Little Mac posted:

I think I'm the person most down on it and my feeling is just "Not quite as good as the Galaxy series". I don't think I've ever heard a harsh word about it.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Little Mac posted:

It is far and away the best Mario game so far. The music is fantastic. Everything about the game is amazing including the horrifically cruel last world.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

I think I'm the person most down on it and my feeling is just "Not quite as good as the Galaxy series". I don't think I've ever heard a harsh word about it.

I remember Mario Galaxy being met with responses like "this is the greatest game ever made" and "this is pure fun" so even being slightly inferior to that is pretty loving great.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Little Mac posted:

3D World is the best. If you think otherwise, you might not have played enough co-op.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Giving the player who got the most points on the last level a crown turns everyone into monsters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lemming posted:

Giving the player who got the most points on the last level a crown turns everyone into monsters.

The level where you get that potted piranha plant should probably just be disabled in multiplayer :v:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like 3D World quite a bit but I wouldn't call it the best Mario game. Certainly not easily the best Mario game.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

How long does it generally take for refurb orders to ship?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Macaluso posted:

The level where you get that potted piranha plant should probably just be disabled in multiplayer :v:

The worst one we had was the one where the platforms flip where you jump. Oh jesus.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I loved getting the cannon powerup. GUESS WHO'S NOT ENJOYING THE REST OF THIS LEVEL!? YOU FUCKERS!!!!

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Lemming posted:

The worst one we had was the one where the platforms flip where you jump. Oh jesus.

Almost impossible to do in coop lmao

I liked grabbing other people when you get on the gondolas because you either can chuck them off or they jump out of your grasp and go flying away due to momentum.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I remember there being a vertical auto-scrolling level in 3D World involving a lot of walljumping and obstacle dodging. It pretty much turned into pseudo-Smash Bros with four people and was a blast. I don't even think we finished the level.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Holy poo poo we're getting a HD remake of Super Mario Sunshine!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

KingEup posted:

if only :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lemming posted:

That level actually didn't end up being too big of a problem for us. We dreaded it of course but we somehow made it through without too much problem. There was another level though, I can't remember which, that stopped us dead in our tracks. And that was just with two of us.

Nintendo games are capable of making friend truely rage at each other like no other "serious" game can and I love it

KingEup posted:

That's just a rumor right now I'm pretty sure. I'd love it though. The game itself was just alright and totally surpassed by games like Galaxy and 3D World... but that game in full HD full of colors and gorgeous HD water omg

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
sunshine might not be a better game than the other mario games, but I like it better since there's nothing in the whole world remotely like it if that makes sense

E: I learned today how okay i would be with nintendo just doing HD versions of lots of their gamecube games

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Macaluso posted:

That's just a rumor right now I'm pretty sure. I'd love it though. The game itself was just alright and totally surpassed by games like Galaxy and 3D World... but that game in full HD full of colors and gorgeous HD water omg

The 'secret' levels in Sunshine were amazing. They even modelled a level in SMG2 on one: http://www.mariowiki.com/Twisty_Trials_Galaxy

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Lemming posted:

Nintendo are masters of counter-operative play these days.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
"Impulse" bought a Mario Kart bundle and got NSMB+NSLB from GameStop. If you can find it, the two game bundle is priced the same as a single game but it has the same SKU so it's hard to search for.
I forgot about the introductory system update though...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I think it's a rumor based on this latest "leak"

Which is accurate would be the most underwhelming E3 ever. I'm kind of doubting it though because it doesn't include that Mario Maker thing that's in that much more believable booth image (unless Mario Maker is park of "Nintendo U").

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All of Sunshine's biggest problems are easily fixable though.

Like blue coins, just as an example, they can make sure they are all in every instance of a world so you don't have to guess, and give some kind of assistance in finding them/marking them off. And the opening cutscene, they could make that skippable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

axleblaze posted:

I think it's a rumor based on this latest "leak"

Which is accurate would be the most underwhelming E3 ever. I'm kind of doubting it though because it doesn't include that Mario Maker thing that's in that much more believable booth image (unless Mario Maker is park of "Nintendo U").
The real reason this leak is fake is because Nintendo would not have more Wii U games than 3DS games in a year where they're trying to turn a profit, when the 3DS is the only system making money for them.

Not even accounting for new eShop-only titles other than Pushmo World which is the definition of "oh poo poo they just announced something early better put it on there whew"

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Wave Race totally gives it away as a fake. Why would they bother?

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

Wave Race totally gives it away as a fake. Why would they bother?

Wave Race isn't a popular series but I would love it. Me and my dad would play time trials constantly trying to beat each others times.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Famous TV Dad posted:

Wave Race isn't a popular series but I would love it. Me and my dad would play time trials constantly trying to beat each others times.

Wave Race can eat Jet Moto's poo poo :colbert:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Famous TV Dad posted:

If nothing else the dynamic surface was always neat, even if it'd gently caress you up at the worst times.

Macaluso posted:

Wave Race can eat Jet Moto's poo poo :colbert:
Did that have any fluid simulation or was the water just another surface?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

685 coins in Club Nintendo and nothing to drop them on :smith: I wish we got the cool poo poo the Japan Club Nintendo gets

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

japtor posted:

If nothing else the dynamic surface was always neat, even if it'd gently caress you up at the worst times.

It really is a feature unique to water based racing games that really differentiates them. Unfortunately no one makes those anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's so much that they woudln't bother because Wave Race is bad as much it is why would they bother instead of just making a new one?

• Locked thread