Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Basically, yeah. It's kind of a stupid name, but I didn't make the chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So something like 70% of the electricity is lost? Is that transmission losses + efficiency losses in the appliances?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

quote:

"BRIDGEPORT - State transportation officials met Wednesday at Housatonic Community College to discuss ways to ease traffic I-95 congestion.
The state says commuters in southwestern Connecticut spend about 40 hours a year stuck in traffic.
Tom Maziara, chief of planning at the Department of Transportation, suggested electronic tolling that can read E-ZPass from overhead. The state is also considering narrowing lanes and using shoulders to create an extra lane that drivers can pay to use. A study will be done to determine whether there's enough width to create an additional lane.
Bridgeport Director of Planning and Economic Development David Kooris says his big concern is the highway continuing to function through all the construction that would have to take place. The DOT will conduct a study due in January to address all of this.
Another meeting will be held Thursday in Hartford, which the public is invited to attend."

http://connecticut.news12.com/news/connecticut-transportation-officials-discuss-ways-to-ease-i-95-congestion-1.8337680

:wtc: Is this... a... thing? A thing? I don't even know what to say, it sounds like lunacy to me.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zodijackylite posted:

http://connecticut.news12.com/news/connecticut-transportation-officials-discuss-ways-to-ease-i-95-congestion-1.8337680

:wtc: Is this... a... thing? A thing? I don't even know what to say, it sounds like lunacy to me.

High Occupancy Toll Lanes? Sure. Usually they do new construction instead of just re-striping in order to be less obvious, but it's a decent way to make sure that us rich people can get where we're going on time.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Ika posted:

So something like 70% of the electricity is lost? Is that transmission losses + efficiency losses in the appliances?

I'm not sure -- it's not really my area, just an example of a chart I liked. This article says T&D losses are ~67%% in the US, but I've seen others that say 6%, so I'm not sure. That chart probably includes power plant efficiency, as electrical losses, but I would think losses in appliances would show up under residential or commercial.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Baronjutter posted:

What is rejected energy? Just energy lost to heat ?

Rejected Energy goes on to post on Energy Rights Advocates subreddits and complain to their friends how they're really Nice Energy, but those stupid picky-yet-slutty Energy Services won't put out.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Zodijackylite posted:

There's a whole political agenda going on behind the scenes, and there is so much more than transportation involved. I really don't want to get blackballed, though, so I'll have to keep my mouth shut.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Rejected Energy goes on to post on Energy Rights Advocates subreddits and complain to their friends how they're really Nice Energy, but those stupid picky-yet-slutty Energy Services won't put out.

Haha, lovely. Incelectrons.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Ika posted:

All fuel have some theoretical maximum amount of energy. Though due to inefficiencies, it is not possible to capture all of the energy. Rejected energy is the portion that is not captured. It's usually rejected to the atmosphere as heat. (E.g. An incandescent light bulb is very hot because, instead of generating light, most of the energy is rejected as heat.) All the losses are added up at the end in the chart, so it accounts for losses in electric generation, transmission, and use (amongst other things).

On a different note, is there a reason for signals to be purposefully uncoordinated if the signals are all controlled by one agency? I notice on my drive home there's always a stretch where I hit two reds in a row. But everywhere else on the road, it's mostly green lights all the way. (I emailed the county and the city and they both said that the signals are controlled by the state.)

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

mamosodiumku posted:

On a different note, is there a reason for signals to be purposefully uncoordinated if the signals are all controlled by one agency? I notice on my drive home there's always a stretch where I hit two reds in a row. But everywhere else on the road, it's mostly green lights all the way. (I emailed the county and the city and they both said that the signals are controlled by the state.)
Failed detection equipment and/or quick fix light timings (i.e. restoring a signal after equipment failure) are the two most likely culprits. Could also be a number of other issues, including another route having priority, ITS communications problems, traffic calming/pedestrian accommodations, apathy on the part of the traffic department to get it running properly again, etc..

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 5, 2014

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or, in New Haven's case, malicious traffic slowing to keep people in town longer.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Zodijackylite posted:

I remember this happening in Atlanta. I thought we as a state were better than that poo poo. Near as I can recall they weren't even profitable enough there to support the construction of the pseudo-EZPass hardware needed to collect tolls from them.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Skeesix posted:

I remember this happening in Atlanta. I thought we as a state were better than that poo poo. Near as I can recall they weren't even profitable enough there to support the construction of the pseudo-EZPass hardware needed to collect tolls from them.

Yep.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/ga-400-shoulder-opens-traffic-still-a-bear/nQTfk/

http://www.sandyspringsga.org/SandySprings/media/Documents/Misc/GA-400-fact-sheet.pdf

Wish I could find the planning video of the process, but man what a waste of money.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lights are supposed to be coordinated? I'm pretty sure Miami just installs the light, and the guy with the hard hat WAGs the timing when he's setting it up, and no one ever touches the thing after that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MrYenko posted:

Lights are supposed to be coordinated? I'm pretty sure Miami just installs the light, and the guy with the hard hat WAGs the timing when he's setting it up, and no one ever touches the thing after that.

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_wave

Only works in one direction, though, so I assume they set it up for rush hour and change direction between morning and evening.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_wave

Only works in one direction, though, so I assume they set it up for rush hour and change direction between morning and evening.

You can get your green band to work in both directions if your signal spacing and speed limit sync up. Around here, signals are as irregular as they come, but in a downtown area, it's entirely possible to get good coordination in both directions.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

I rode a green wave on southbound Miami Ave. from Wynwood through downtown last night, worked great at the 30mph speed limit and basically no traffic.

I've never seen any of the lights in the grove work like that though; too many intersections at irregular distances with long cycle times?

Wki
Dec 12, 2012

Emily's sassy lime.
Cigar? Toss it in a can. It is so tragic.
Pull up, Eva, we're here! Wave! Pull up!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I rode a green wave on southbound Miami Ave. from Wynwood through downtown last night, worked great at the 30mph speed limit and basically no traffic.

I've never seen any of the lights in the grove work like that though; too many intersections at irregular distances with long cycle times?

Green waves really help to reinforce the speed limit. A town I used to live in implemented one a year before I left and it really reduced the amount of cars speeding through the residential area. Once people knew they had green lights going the set limit there was no reason to go faster. You do get the occasional person that is trying to make the end of the wave and speeds through some yellows, but all in all it really helped.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wki posted:

Green waves really help to reinforce the speed limit. A town I used to live in implemented one a year before I left and it really reduced the amount of cars speeding through the residential area. Once people knew they had green lights going the set limit there was no reason to go faster. You do get the occasional person that is trying to make the end of the wave and speeds through some yellows, but all in all it really helped.

I'm surprised more major routes don't do this. There's a few roads where I live where if you do exactly 50 or 55ish you'll hit a ton of greens. But the main highway out of town has fairly random lights, or lights that actually push people to speed. There's one section that's set ridiculously to 50 even though it's 3 and 3 lanes with a median and no driveways or side-streets but everyone drives 60-70 on it because if you do you can make the next light. But then the next few lights seemed timed so that there's no way to get them, you always get every red. I guess that's to stop speeding? But I think it doesn't match human psychology because people always speed between each red because they're frustraited after waiting at the previous red and desperately trying to get the next green. If they set it up so you'd get greens if you go 50 rather than 60-70 it would improve flow and curb speeding. All the lights are for much more minor roads too, this is the main access in and out of the city so I don't know why it doesn't have timing priority.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Cichlidae posted:

There's a whole political agenda going on behind the scenes, and there is so much more than transportation involved. I really don't want to get blackballed, though, so I'll have to keep my mouth shut.

That surprisingly answers the question pretty well, thanks.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 7, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

They're privatizing the entire state and selling it to Saudi Arabia, aren't they?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

They're privatizing the entire state and selling it to Saudi Arabia, aren't they?

Wait, how did you know???

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Wait, how did you know???
Saw the flags in a storage room at work next to the FEMA coffins and guillotines they've been hiding here

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

Well Saudi Arabia is all desert, so it should be no problem to add extra lanes to all roads.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
The state had a members-only meeting about tolling, since they're pushing it pretty hard. Check out the comments.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-connecticut-tolls-0609-20140609,0,7082481.story

How can so many people be so right for exactly the wrong reasons?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I thought all you had to do was bring up the specter of the Turnpike Crash to kill tolling in Connecticut.

But if you toll 95, where exactly is the traffic going to go? Certainly not on route 1, and you can't put trucks on the Merritt.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

I thought all you had to do was bring up the specter of the Turnpike Crash to kill tolling in Connecticut.

Now they can collect tolls without toll plazas!

But I agree that I'm not sure what the point is. Are there really that many people driving on 95 during the peak periods that could take alternate routes?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Presumably they want more people to take the Metro-North but even that is starting to get crowded in terms of capacity.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kefkafloyd posted:

Presumably they want more people to take the Metro-North but even that is starting to get crowded in terms of capacity.

Doesn't help that its bridges keep failing and taking the entire line out of service, eh?

The reason for tolling is very simple: revenue. The toll operators are private companies and they want more money, they have powerful lobbyists who try to get tolls put in everywhere (even when the municipality loses money on the deal). The state hears a promise of free money and completely ignores the strings attached, like whether the system will even pay for itself, let alone for additional improvements. And of course, nobody bothers to think about how it'll affect low-income commuters, because gently caress the poor.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Well, on the topic of tolling, transit and infrastructure funding, there's an interesting and ongoing showdown between local and provincial government in British Columbia.

In the provincial elections last year, the BC Liberals' leader, Christy Clark, made an election promise to hold a referendum on any new funding streams for public transit. It was pretty clear from the context that it was a "no new taxes, no how" kind of promise, and at the same time the BC Liberals have been starving Translink (the government-held corporation running the Province's public transit).

Meanwhile, the mayors of the municipalities making up Metro Vancouver are making GBS threads themselves as the metro keeps growing and tons of transit-centric new development is happening while the province (under the BC Liberals) has been effectively cutting transit funding.

Anyway, since the referendum proposal was stupid and poorly thought out to begin with, our provincial Minister of Transportation shirked off the responsibility of coming up with a plan for people to vote on to the mayors (despite transit being a provincial, not municipal, responsibility). Yesterday, the mayors published that plan, and it's already full of compromises and far from adequate, but under the threat of a public referendum on a new tax (like that would ever pass anywhere in North America in today's political climate), that's what you get.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Metro+Vancouver+mayors+look+tolls+carbon+fund+billion+transit/9932710/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/rejects+Metro+Vancouver+mayors+plan+carbon+help+fund+billion+transit+boost/9932710/story.html

The proposed revenue source is "mobility pricing", which I believe will take the form of tolls (mainly on bridges), but could be levied in other ways? In fact, they're talking about cutting gas taxes at the same time, to sweeten the deal to the public. They also wanted to take some money out of carbon taxes (a provincial income-based tax), but the province said no.

Anyway, I think tolls can be less gently caress-the-poors when they're used to fund cheaper means of transportation, like public transit, cycling and walking infrastructure. They also seem to be a viable means of achieving transportation demand management?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How would a situation like this be marked?

Simple 2 lane road that goes under a bridge. The black bars show the weird staggered bridge supports because the bridge is on a really shallow angle. So basically each lane turns into its own little tunnel. The yellow lines are existing, but would I put some stripes within the yellow triangles and if so what direction would they go? And obviously I'd add the little \\\\ and //// keep left/right stripe signs on the bridge supports them selves. Any other signs or safety features? Would the bridge support have a guard rail or anything? The space is already kinda tight. The bridge support isn't just a flat concrete wall, it's a big series of angled iron supports.

Here's a bad pictures from a bad angle.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Here's an example from near my Wife's favorite pizza place. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.564768,-87.667231,3a,75y,123.68h,69.32t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szAAb9FBErJVdDppQyUlmmg!2e0

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Baronjutter posted:

Simple 2 lane road that goes under a bridge. The black bars show the weird staggered bridge supports because the bridge is on a really shallow angle. So basically each lane turns into its own little tunnel. The yellow lines are existing, but would I put some stripes within the yellow triangles and if so what direction would they go? And obviously I'd add the little \\\\ and //// keep left/right stripe signs on the bridge supports them selves. Any other signs or safety features? Would the bridge support have a guard rail or anything? The space is already kinda tight. The bridge support isn't just a flat concrete wall, it's a big series of angled iron supports.

We have a bunch of these in Chicago. Typically there would just be a Keep Right sign mounted on the center support, and maybe a very short (and useless) guard rail at the end.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

This isn't quite the same, since the street going under has a cross street, but take a look around this intersection underneath an elevated rail line with supports going down in the middle of the main road:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.968816,-75.136107,3a,75y,327.09h,77.47t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqVD01FRBwXtSJVGMhHW5uA!2e0

It does happen to also have trolley tracks and associated stops in the road on either end of the elevated section there. And short curbed piers sticking out in front of the columns to hold street lights, but simultaneously deflecting crashes into the supports. Also, check out the markings and crash buffer used when the lanes on each side split to make room for the trolley platforms.

Incidentally, it'd probably better for your yellow markings to be symmetric, that is instead of your current layout having one lane apparently pass straight through while the other dips to the side a bit, have both dip to the side a bit.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 13, 2014

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

This is exactly what you want: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part3/fig3b_15_1_longdesc.htm

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Your link won't load for me, but I found a pretty close example.
http://goo.gl/maps/jadTb

Not sure what the yellow diamond on top is about though, generic construction? The rest seems obvious though. One sign says "hey your 2 lane road is about to get a median in the form of a bridge" and the lower sign says "please don't drive into this, preferably by driving to the right of it"

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 13, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baronjutter posted:

Not sure what the yellow diamond on top is about though. The rest seems obvious though. One sign says "hey your 2 lane road is about to get a median in the form of a bridge" and the lower sign says "please don't drive into this, preferably by driving to the right of it"

The yellow diamond is just "hey look here's a thing, maybe with this yellow dealie you will notice it better"

The middle sign is "stay to the right, this is a median"

The bottom sign is "this is a bad thing to drive into, the angle of these dashes will tend to make you want to stay right of it"

Also that's Canada, so technically they don't follow the US MUTCD, but it looks like most of their signs are similar

Edit: I hope this is for a school project and this isn't how Nebraska subs out their engineering design

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baron is also Canadian though, so the MUTCD probably doesn't need to be zealously followed. Of course I can't speak for the railway he's building.

e: Here's a similar situation in down town Calgary. https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.043703,-114.065707,3a,75y,32.49h,77.04t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEbBeBNKf3vgnMYdOvdiAmg!2e0

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 14, 2014

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Not sure what the yellow diamond on top is about though, generic construction? The rest seems obvious though. One sign says "hey your 2 lane road is about to get a median in the form of a bridge" and the lower sign says "please don't drive into this, preferably by driving to the right of it"

This is more of what you're talking about, no?

Something with a little more angle, and a bit less safe without the attenuator.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Baron is also Canadian though, so the MUTCD probably doesn't need to be zealously followed. Of course I can't speak for the railway he's building.

e: Here's a similar situation in down town Calgary. https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.043703,-114.065707,3a,75y,32.49h,77.04t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEbBeBNKf3vgnMYdOvdiAmg!2e0

Yeah he'd be looking for the TAC guidelines. Unfortunately, unlike the American guidelines, you have to pay (through your nose) for a copy of those.

http://tac-atc.ca/en/bookstore-and-resources/bookstore

E: The BC supplement is free, though:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications/eng_publications/geomet/TAC/TAC.htm#chapters

Here's the chapter you want for maximum local authenticity:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications/eng_publications/geomet/TAC/TAC_2007_Supplement/Ch1100-2007.pdf

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That King St. tunnel/bridge is almost the exact situation as my situation, and yep nothing but a keep left and some stripes.