Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Reztes posted:

I know you definitely can't disable civilians calling 911.

That's what the jam coms gadget is for though. So great to not have to deal with the stupid cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Spiky Ooze posted:

That's what the jam coms gadget is for though. So great to not have to deal with the stupid cops.

You can always just bump into them with the car you most likely just stole. Works like a charm.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Well, yeah but sometimes I'm out of system keys and those fuckers are too far away. It's definitely not worth it though, shooting one causes another one like 50 yards away on the other side of a building to start calling, but it is funny to try to keep the chain of panicked calls going.

Is there some kind of reward for maxing out rep? I keep hovering around 75%-80% (that last spree notwithstanding), and I want to know if I should bother catching a ton of criminals to top it out, or just tank it for maximum invasion potential.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Nothing for maxing out but the higher your reputation the less likely civs are to call the cops. You can end up having a huge shoot out with a criminal convoy on an inner city intersection and the cops won't come.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am not sure who they picked to play the missions to determine the "X minutes of extra content!" Advertisements but he must be playing with his nose or something.
They probably meant how long it took them to make the mission. :v:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Cool. I got tired of waiting for a patch so I just started over, now my second game has got the stuck loading bar bug, losing all my progress once more. I paid a lot of money for a game that has no indication I'll be able to actually play it anytime soon.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a patch yet? I've been playing other games lately because I burned myself out on this game.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Apparently they've already released DLC? Watch_Dogs: Conspiracy?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Thump! posted:

Apparently they've already released DLC? Watch_Dogs: Conspiracy?

It's a digital trip.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Does anyone know what reward there is for getting gold medals on all the cash runs? I'm a bit more than halfway through them, seeing as how they're my favorite part of the game, but I want to decide whether to finish them off before I clear the end of the story.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Snuffman posted:

Is there somewhere I can see the outfits you unlock for all the digital trips (I assume there's one for each)? The WatchDogs wiki ain't doing me no favours.

I dunno about the others, but the Alone one is the outfit he's wearing when you play it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So yeah, after the credits are done the game doesn't transition. It just sits there with the view of the city. Greaaaaaat.

EDIT: Managed to make it work after watching the credits three times in a row. Thanks for the unskippable credits, Ubisoft.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 7, 2014

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Objective: Kill all the milita members or escape.

Mission failed: left the mission area.

... what.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pro Tip for when you're invaded: Stand still in the middle of the road. Everyone just loving walks up to you to do the hack for some reason. Makes it really easy to gun them down.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010

Muttonchips posted:

Is it worth it to get the Deluxe pack? That boost to vehicle HP perk looks like it'd be nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money. I'm seeing keys on sale on eBay for $40 or so.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's all either OP items or outright cheats so its not really worth it IMO.

I am not sure who they picked to play the missions to determine the "X minutes of extra content!" Advertisements but he must be playing with his nose or something.

Quoting the Steam page it looks like Deluxe Edition owners get "Perk: Driving boost: More Hit Points to Vehicles" & "Hacking Boost (Add 1 Battery Slot)" in addition to extra missions, weapons, & outfits. In online modes that sounds like an advantage to have extra perks other, non deluxe players, don't have access to. Kinda lame.

Davoren posted:

Cool. I got tired of waiting for a patch so I just started over, now my second game has got the stuck loading bar bug, losing all my progress once more. I paid a lot of money for a game that has no indication I'll be able to actually play it anytime soon.

Is this with disabling the UPlay cloud sync? Assuming PC, what was the distribution method for your game, Steam/UPlay/Origin?

I created a WinRAR shortcut that automatically backs up the save files & timestamps a .rar, hoping that'll save me from a save/loading bug.

ChibiSoma posted:

Pro Tip for when you're invaded: Stand still in the middle of the road. Everyone just loving walks up to you to do the hack for some reason. Makes it really easy to gun them down.

When being invaded, how do I know if it's a hacking or tailing invasion? They seem to start the same, do I just begin looking for the guy & if a % bar shows up I know it's hacking?

5thMouseButton fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 7, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

5thMouseButton posted:

Quoting the Steam page it looks like Deluxe Edition owners get "Perk: Driving boost: More Hit Points to Vehicles" & "Hacking Boost (Add 1 Battery Slot)" in addition to extra missions, weapons, & outfits. In online modes that sounds like an advantage to have extra perks other, non deluxe players, don't have access to. Kinda lame.

It is basically a cheat you can buy. From the developer.

Remember the time when they were free and came in consoles?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

5thMouseButton posted:

When being invaded, how do I know if it's a hacking or tailing invasion? They seem to start the same, do I just begin looking for the guy & if a % bar shows up I know it's hacking?

Yep, there's no way to tell other than their behavior. Best practice in either case seems to be to haul rear end in a fast car at least 300 meters away (somewhere there's no camera - the middle of a bridge, or the highway works well), then wait for them to within view and blast them. If you miss, the tailing invader will try to stick around just out of profile/weapons range, and the hacker will run as far away as he can before initiating the hack.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, driving's definitely not a problem on console. I had a car chase two days ago that I had a little trouble on from getting used to my sports car's handling, but it was fun. Lots of barely-problematic fishtails that smashed destructible poo poo up, and I caught him in an alleyway and sent his car spiraling across the street.

It's not the easiest thing to get a handle on immediately, but it only takes a little practice. And not using a keyboard.

No problems with keyboard driving for me, even with the inputs being binary rather than analogue, just take a couple of minutes as you drive somewhere to familiarise yourself with the way the car handles, throw yourself into handbrake-induced powerslides and try weaving through traffic, also knowing how well your vehicle can J-turn (reverse, crank wheel, handbrake so the front swings around, accelerate) can really help in chases and is a drat sight faster than reversing a few feet away from what you just hit and then turning normally.

Then again I just recently came off a NFS: Hot Pursuit and Test Drive 2 Unlimited binge.... :rice:

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Reztes posted:

Yep, there's no way to tell other than their behavior. Best practice in either case seems to be to haul rear end in a fast car at least 300 meters away (somewhere there's no camera - the middle of a bridge, or the highway works well), then wait for them to within view and blast them. If you miss, the tailing invader will try to stick around just out of profile/weapons range, and the hacker will run as far away as he can before initiating the hack.

If you catch it early and you're in/near something fast you can also just try to haul rear end completely out of their range. Caught one right after he'd joined because I randomly hit pause. Hauled rear end 1/3 of the way across the map hacking every obstruction along the way that I could, got in a metro-car and fired it up. He left the hack but in a gentlemanly fashion ie. not Alt-F4. Even if you cant get totally out of their range you will likely force them to initiate the hack in a less ideal location than they otherwise would have.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Using the L for decryption matches is pretty amazing actually. Sometimes it works and you can get away with it before people realize where you are and steal the file from through the tracks, but a lot of the time people don't know what the gently caress until you've hit the boundary for the area a couple times.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Hot Jam posted:

If you catch it early and you're in/near something fast you can also just try to haul rear end completely out of their range. Caught one right after he'd joined because I randomly hit pause. Hauled rear end 1/3 of the way across the map hacking every obstruction along the way that I could, got in a metro-car and fired it up. He left the hack but in a gentlemanly fashion ie. not Alt-F4. Even if you cant get totally out of their range you will likely force them to initiate the hack in a less ideal location than they otherwise would have.

Running super far away doesn't seem that ideal since if they haven't tagged you yet they can just keep fast-traveling over to you, and might wind up in front of you. Trying to catch them out on the initiation circle is also risky in my experience, sometimes they get hosed but sometimes you've wasted 45 seconds going the wrong way and now they're on some overpass or something. Since you can't tell if they've tagged you or not yet, running a moderate distance to try for an ambush leaves you relatively close in case they're setting up the hack.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rad. I invade someone, he gets the cops on him, then he disconnects like the pussy he is, then the cops all gang up on me! I don't have a wanted level, but they're chasing me clear across this loving city.

Online Hacking is already tedious and long, don't make it worse. If I get invaded, I'll stand in the middle of the road. Either they run up like a dipshit and get mowed down or they get their 100% quickly, get the gently caress out, and we're both happy. Either way, I win. People who disconnect or get in a car and drive across the city need to piss off and quit wasting everyone's time. That isn't fun.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Croccers posted:

What is that even meant to mean in the end? Apart from shiny graphics, what is ~*next gen*~ gameplay?
I was hoping for the driving controls to feel less than 10 years old.

Reztes posted:

I know you definitely can't disable civilians calling 911.
Just walk up and hit the melee takedown button once you begin hearing them cry to the dispatcher - everyone nearby who's got a 911 triangle will panic and run off as well.

Or get into a car and knock then around just enough to make them drop their phone but not enough to drive "over" them.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 7, 2014

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
How the gently caress do you evade police? I can't run from them, hiding in the car just lets them catch me, the context hacking sucks; what am I supposed to do?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How the gently caress do you evade police? I can't run from them, hiding in the car just lets them catch me, the context hacking sucks; what am I supposed to do?

I have pretty good luck with luring them into traps. Drive through intersections and cause crashes behind you, catch them in steam pipes, basically anything where the button prompt flashes blue is an insta-takedown.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Blockers and raisable bridges are also pretty good.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

5thMouseButton posted:

I've noticed when you're being invaded by a hacker, scanning random civvies will pop up "not the hacker", where if you are being tailed, it says "not a threat".

Edit: Is it even realistic to get the 10 online decryptions trophy? The matches take a hell of a long time, and despite the game description seeming to say you all have your own decryption meter, it seems like it's just a running clock, and whoever is holding it last wins. When you've got 6 people, the odds aren't very good for winning, and when each match is 15+ minutes, ugh. Unless I'm doing it all wrong.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 7, 2014

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Palleon posted:

I've noticed when you're being invaded by a hacker, scanning random civvies will pop up "not the hacker", where if you are being tailed, it says "not a threat".

Edit: Is it even realistic to get the 10 online decryptions trophy? The matches take a hell of a long time, and despite the game description seeming to say you all have your own decryption meter, it seems like it's just a running clock, and whoever is holding it last wins. When you've got 6 people, the odds aren't very good for winning, and when each match is 15+ minutes, ugh. Unless I'm doing it all wrong.

I think if you get together with a few other people and try to organize it could be over fairly quick. I have yet to try it though so I'm not sure if it's possible; you'd effectively stack teams and communicate through voice chat (other than ubisoft's horrible in game voice)

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Does anyone know what reward there is for getting gold medals on all the cash runs? I'm a bit more than halfway through them, seeing as how they're my favorite part of the game, but I want to decide whether to finish them off before I clear the end of the story.

There isn't one, unless you really care about your place on the leaderboards. You only need one gold medal to get the Cash Run in-game reward.

Palleon posted:

I've done it. Just make sure you do Team Decryption, because Free-For-All is complete poo poo. If you land in a FFA game, quit immediately.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Reztes posted:

Well, yeah but sometimes I'm out of system keys and those fuckers are too far away. It's definitely not worth it though, shooting one causes another one like 50 yards away on the other side of a building to start calling, but it is funny to try to keep the chain of panicked calls going.

Is there some kind of reward for maxing out rep? I keep hovering around 75%-80% (that last spree notwithstanding), and I want to know if I should bother catching a ton of criminals to top it out, or just tank it for maximum invasion potential.

Wait, having lovely rep causes more invasions?

I need to tank the gently caress out of my rep if that's so.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

EightDeer posted:

There isn't one, unless you really care about your place on the leaderboards. You only need one gold medal to get the Cash Run in-game reward.

I've done it. Just make sure you do Team Decryption, because Free-For-All is complete poo poo. If you land in a FFA game, quit immediately.

Really? I have the opposite opinion, Team Decryption is a bitch because once one side gets the file they can just find a corner of the map and camp it the whole time, not letting you get close enough to steal it wirelessly because you'll be dead if you get anywhere near the hidy hole.

With FFA vehicles are a problem yeah, but with everybody after 1 guy eventually sombody will get it back and keep the action going.

Really the big problem with this mode in general is the spawns, you'll spawn across the freaking map from the enemy team/guy that has the file somtimes and you won't be able to do much about it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo was watching Netflix and I ran into Watch Dogs: the Motion Picture.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Another random bizarre NPC moment: I was going after my last CTOS tower tonight, and I overheard two NPCs having a conversation: a woman telling her coworker about how she hates video games because they're not real, and she'd rather do something more meaningful with her time. For kicks, I sat around and listened. She kept ranting for a little while... then all of the sudden, she cut off in mid-sentence and both of them just... fell over. They weren't dead, they weren't cowering, they just fell down on the ground and kinda laid there.

I did a quick Focus check to see if any players had invaded me, and I was clear. I hadn't drawn a weapon; hell, I wasn't even moving. We were in a building, so no cars to freak out from or anything. They just kinda... got tired of standing, I guess?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Backhand posted:

Another random bizarre NPC moment: I was going after my last CTOS tower tonight, and I overheard two NPCs having a conversation: a woman telling her coworker about how she hates video games because they're not real, and she'd rather do something more meaningful with her time. For kicks, I sat around and listened. She kept ranting for a little while... then all of the sudden, she cut off in mid-sentence and both of them just... fell over. They weren't dead, they weren't cowering, they just fell down on the ground and kinda laid there.

I did a quick Focus check to see if any players had invaded me, and I was clear. I hadn't drawn a weapon; hell, I wasn't even moving. We were in a building, so no cars to freak out from or anything. They just kinda... got tired of standing, I guess?

They logged off

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

I find waiting on the other side of a bridge I just raised is particularly effective. The bridge will be lowered sooner than is normal, so I grenade every car that drives over. Works like a charm. Except when it turns out they're in an invincible car that can't be destroyed by point-blank shots.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Woooow. 20 second load times on respawn in Online Races. Good job, Ubisoft.

At least the achievement is just to complete ten races and not win them. I dunno what dipshit thought this game and its terrible car handling needed this particular feature. Does anyone actually enjoy online racing in any open world game? People play it in GTAV, but it's GTAV - there's not a lot you can do in that game that won't get you penalized for having fun.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
It seems that jumping into online games places you into high priority to be invaded, so often once I hop out of a game someone is hoping into mine.

ChibiSoma posted:

Rad. I invade someone, he gets the cops on him, then he disconnects like the pussy he is, then the cops all gang up on me! I don't have a wanted level, but they're chasing me clear across this loving city.

Early today I hacked a guy in a trailer park, he couldn't find me & around 80% in frustration he started lobbing nades everywhere. The police show & start hunting him while the hack completes & I win. What do the cops do? They turn on me. Oh, & now I'm being invaded too.

I hide to lose the police first thing but couldn't catch the guy in time. At least for me I actually enjoy the 1v1 games & have spent the day doing them over & over.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

drat this is the fifth time in a row I've spawned right infront of the guy I was invading.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I imagine this has already been discussed in the thread but the game's handling of saving really irritates me. It doesn't feel like I'm playing my own game when I load from autosave and I get dumped on the other side of the mission area in a place I haven't even seen yet. Changes to the environment are really inconsistent as well -- e.g. I restart a fixer contract and the skid marks on the road are still there, but I blow up a car during a mission, move to the next phase of the mission, die, reload from the start of that phase and the car is fine and dandy. Time of day doesn't reset either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Ugh. I keep invading people in random places waiting to gank invaders. Car parking lots, CTOS towers, the bunker. There should be an option that if they haven't profiled you and you are within like 30 seconds of when you warped in you don't lose points even if they are constantly joining and leaving online queues to get notified of a hacker. I had more than one tonight where I joined, immediately saw where they were and left and still got dinged anywhere from 100-200 points. Less than 10 seconds elapsed. That's some bullshit.

hiddenriverninja posted:

drat this is the fifth time in a row I've spawned right infront of the guy I was invading.

Thankfully this only happened once.

• Locked thread