Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

mookface posted:

Costco is a sham. You think you're getting all these deals and then when you check out its like four hundred dollars and you're all fuuuuuuuuck

Ten you dont have to leave your house for 7 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Accretionist posted:

Uh oh, I applied there recently. What's wrong with the culture?

try applying at Trader Joe's if ur looking for a fun corporate culture, they let u wear hawaiian shirts and ring big loud bells all the time...i think a couple goons work there, check the business, finance, careers (BFC) forum. i think they pay well too, but i heard they stopped offering part timers affordable health care options a year or so again.

Another good tip (if ur young enough) is to get a job at a local unionized supermarket and keep urself on the schedule for years and years if you can by working the minimal amount of hours (typically 4-6 i think) and the yearly contract mandated raises will add up well (to like $20/hr+) after youve been there for some years...even if you have another job/career it can be a great backup to have if you get fired/laid off/want to make a career change or go back to school.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
welcome to costco. i love you.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
they were selling tainted beef a while back north of the 49th

poo poo beef

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

amityville anus posted:

welcome to costco. i love you.

that blast of hot air from the vents above when walking through the front entrance into the store is the greatest...talk about feeling the love.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Pro-tier things to purchase at Costco:

Whole fresh (King/Coho/Copper River/Sockeye) Salmon, when in season
Whole fresh halibut, when in season
Jumbo pack of flash frozen langostinos (loving awesome)
Prime standing rib roast
A4 printer paper
Pretzel bread rolls
Ciabatta Rolls
Baguettes (rolls or loaf)
Parmigiano-Reggiano + Peccorino Romano + English Coastal Cheddar (all kirkland brand, no poo poo, this cheese is TIGHT)
Bel Gioso fresh bufula mozzarella
Apples (in season)
Peaches (in season)
Mu' Fuckin' San Pellegrino
Mu' Fuckin' MILK
Kirkland brand extra virgin olive oil (vintaged)
Puma socks and kirkland brand boxer briefs (comfy and sexy as gently caress)
Kirkland brand whole Cashews, Almonds, Pistachios. Lemme be real with you. These drupes are the poo poo.
Kirkland brand champagne, both the brut and the rose. The Kirkland rose champagne is a no-poo poo French champagne, made from the ground up as a Rose. literally in the 1% of wines produced from France, it owns bones.
Actually ALL of the kirkland brand liquors/beers/wines are loving great, especially for the price. Gordon-Bierch was one of their sub-contractors for their beer, their huge bottle of vodka is better than grey goose and it's like $20 for 1.75L. They have an 18yr speyside single malt that is unbelievable for like $30.

And that's just to get you started. I loving love Costco. gently caress the haters.

gently caress I LOVE COSTCO

a while back they had a special on a 12pc set of professional cuisinart stainless steel cookware, I mean the kind of poo poo that seriouseats.com put up against all-clad and was like "i have no idea why you would buy all-clad", for like $180, and it's fuckin' incredible.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 7, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mookface posted:

Costco is a sham. You think you're getting all these deals and then when you check out its like four hundred dollars and you're all fuuuuuuuuck

it definitely depends on what you buy, and it feels like a lot more money because you're paying it all at once

i mean there is nothing at costco i can go through by myself really unless its nonperishable, which is what i buy, and steaks for treating people

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Kirkland bacon is loving awesome and one of the only really good deals there of the poo poo I buy regularly. Stuff that should be a good deal but isn't, like an entire flat of eggs, is only like $.03/egg cheaper than the same brand from Safeway. Probably won't renew my membership.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Nostrum posted:

English Coastal Cheddar

this cheese is tasty as gently caress

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Wayside Bazaar posted:

try applying at Trader Joe's if ur looking for a fun corporate culture, they let u wear hawaiian shirts and ring big loud bells all the time...i think a couple goons work there, check the business, finance, careers (BFC) forum. i think they pay well too, but i heard they stopped offering part timers affordable health care options a year or so again.

Another good tip (if ur young enough) is to get a job at a local unionized supermarket and keep urself on the schedule for years and years if you can by working the minimal amount of hours (typically 4-6 i think) and the yearly contract mandated raises will add up well (to like $20/hr+) after youve been there for some years...even if you have another job/career it can be a great backup to have if you get fired/laid off/want to make a career change or go back to school.

Duly noted; I am irrationally fond of Hawaiin shirts and would like to finish college a year or so from now.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Costcowns.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
every time i go into trader joes everyone seems happy to be working there and the people actually have conversations with you but maybe thats like a thing where if you arent perceived as friendly you are culled as part of the seasonal layoffs or whatever

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
I buy all my $1.50 hotdogs and 16oz sodas at Costco.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

massive amounts of nuts

a couple ounces of almonds is like 5 bucks at the grocery store

a pound of almonds is like 8 bucks at costco

edit: walnuts are good though

MOOBS! fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 7, 2014

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
they have these cupcakes that are like 6" in diameter and you get like 20 of them for cheap as hell

one cupcake is enough for three people or one goon

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

MOOBS! posted:

massive amounts of nuts

a couple ounces of almonds is like 5 bucks at the grocery store

a pound of almonds is like 8 bucks at costco

edit: walnuts are good though

except pine nuts, i got those at a bulk grocery store for cheaper than costco

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Philthy posted:

they have these cupcakes that are like 6" in diameter and you get like 20 of them for cheap as hell

one cupcake is enough for three people or one goon

but people just eat up that much more to justify buying such quantity because SAVINGS and then get fatter and fatter

hazyrazor
Apr 10, 2006
Could out fury the president
My mom would only go shopping once every 2-3 months at costco and I would eat frozen burritos every day as a kid. Still crave them.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Accretionist posted:

Duly noted; I am irrationally fond of Hawaiin shirts and would like to finish college a year or so from now.

nevermind my facetious comment (sorry its gbs) about trader joes, after all a hawaiian shirt would be a blessing compared to being forced to wear a dress shirt and tie year-round for a minimum wage job for an employer that'll dangle full-time status in front of you like a carrot (i'm serious...one big supermarket chain where i am actually does this).

it seems like a much better deal than other retail jobs (as does an organized supermarket ie. stop and shop - i was serious about what i said regarding that...my little brother did just that for years until they caught on that he had been working 4 hours a week for like 4 years and they finally had a sit down with him)...and their employees dont seem nearly as dead eyed and on autopilot as workers at other stores.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 7, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I love Costco. I'm sure I'd allow it to be the slut I gently caress on the side while married to the woman I love and she'd go "Oh you, I totally understand." and then we'd have a threesome with it.

I buy anything and everything there. HAIL COSTCO!

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Haam posted:

except pine nuts, i got those at a bulk grocery store for cheaper than costco

what are you using all those pine nuts for??

i eat them raw and they are pretty good but i cant imagine buying them in bulk

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Oh man I forgot 2 really critical things that are insanely cheap and good:

QINOA

BASMATI RICE

Yeah, sorry Sam's Club Scrubs. Y'all a'int touching my inca/indian grains.

GeraldineButts
Oct 21, 2012
Costco's a great place to go when you want to buy a jar of pickles that can double as a bar stool.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Nostrum posted:

Oh man I forgot 2 really critical things that are insanely cheap and good:

QINOA

BASMATI RICE

Yeah, sorry Sam's Club Scrubs. Y'all a'int touching my inca/indian grains.

lol look at this fuckin Hipster

don't forget your free trade coffee you fuckin socially conscious and responsible consumer

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

lol look at this fuckin Hipster

don't forget your free trade coffee you fuckin socially conscious and responsible consumer

Quinoa and rice are pretty normal things to eat

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Costco aka Apocalypse Planning Supply

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Nostrum posted:

Kirkland brand champagne, both the brut and the rose. The Kirkland rose champagne is a no-poo poo French champagne, made from the ground up as a Rose. literally in the 1% of wines produced from France, it owns bones.

No kidding about the rosé? I have to check this out.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

mookface posted:

Quinoa and rice are pretty normal things to eat

yeah, no poo poo rear end in a top hat

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I once bought 30 bags of popcorn at Costco for $5. That was pretty cool.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I love me some Costco. Sriracha for days. Cheap, good salmon and nice fat scallops, not the dinky bay kind. Almond butter, the decent kind that doesn't separate or have tons of oil in it. And detergent/washing products. Kirkland brand trail mix. Cases of energy bars and gels and stuff that I go through like crazy on my bike.

It's the best place to shop for anything other than bread - because by the time you eat enough bagels to make yourself hate bagels, the ones you haven't eaten are spoiled.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They're pretty good for huge bags of frozen veggies and frozen dumplings. Throw some of each into a pot for healthy, lazy bachelor chow.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i usually get the two pack of bagels and freeze one of the bags so when i burn out after the first one i'll have the other bag when i feel like bagels again

i do this with the loaves of bread too

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Bagel Dogs

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Almonds and rotisserie chicken.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

mookface posted:

i dont care how much it actually costs as long as it feels that im saving

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I like socks, pile em into the cart.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Lucky brand jeans for 30 bucks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Edgar posted:

Lucky brand jeans for 30 bucks.

really poo poo jeans fyi

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Uncle Salty posted:

No kidding about the rosé? I have to check this out.

Yeah, it's seasonal (which is the best/worst thing about Costco), but if you can find it, the Kirkland brand champagne rose is legit good. $25 for a serious, purpose-grown, méthode champenoise, sparkling rose from Champagne. Have I mentioned it yet? COSTCO loving OWNS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

serious norman posted:

i dont care how much it actually costs as long as it feels that im saving

And this is there key to Costco success

• Locked thread