Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Hello fellow goons. I am a newb to Warframe for the PC. So far I have been following the OP for the beginning game play. Now its the point of upgrading my rifle, pistol and possibly buying a sentinel. I have roughly 100k to spend and just started building Dual Heat Swords. My warframe now is Loki but really wanting to move towards Trinity (e: unless it is a really bad warframe to go).

What would be an upgrade for the Braton and Laton? Would getting a sentinel be a smart move?

Thanks for the advise :D

Fixit fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

A good sentinel is Carrier modded with vacuum which allows it to suck up items in a small vicinity around you, allowing you to focus on the killing of dudes. I haven't tried playing Trinity but I hear she is a good frame. In regards to other weapons and frames I don't have a massive preference, but there are some that are really great at killing a room full of enemies in seconds, and some things are really good at killing one enemy at a time really well, but there are some that are kind of bad even though they might look cool - usually it comes down to what mods you use. You can also look up youtube videos of frames and weapons to see how they function in an in-game context to help you decide if they are what you are into.

Go to the warframe wiki (use google to find it) and have a look through some of the mods and things to see what is out there and where you might get it. The rest is just a matter of playing/farming/grinding and making your own fun playing space ninja dress-ups.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'd suggest going for rhino first, but there is nothing wrong with trinity if that's your preference. Some good low rank weapons are karak and boltor for primary, and amphis is arguably a top tier melee weapon but has no rank requirement. Really though, for melee you should just get whatever you think is cool as most of them are usable. For pistols, probably bolto and then akbolto, though vasto/magnus also work.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Fixit posted:

What would be an upgrade for the Braton and Laton? Would getting a sentinel be a smart move?

A sentinel would be a good move, yes (get Carrier). For a step up from the Braton, It kinda depends on what mastery rank you've reached. If you're only rank 2, the Boltor is a good choice. You can also bug some of the old-timers in clan chat to see if they have any spare parts to build a Latron Prime. If you're rank 3, things open up a bit more and you could go for something like the Drakgoon or Tetra.

Pistols have lots of options, my usual recommendation is the Vasto, Bolto, or Magnus. The Stug, Kunai, and Hikou are also good options if you want something a little different and are at least mastery rank 2.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

A good sentinel is Carrier modded with vacuum which allows it to suck up items in a small vicinity around you, allowing you to focus on the killing of dudes. I haven't tried playing Trinity but I hear she is a good frame. In regards to other weapons and frames I don't have a massive preference, but there are some that are really great at killing a room full of enemies in seconds, and some things are really good at killing one enemy at a time really well, but there are some that are kind of bad even though they might look cool - usually it comes down to what mods you use. You can also look up youtube videos of frames and weapons to see how they function in an in-game context to help you decide if they are what you are into.

Go to the warframe wiki (use google to find it) and have a look through some of the mods and things to see what is out there and where you might get it. The rest is just a matter of playing/farming/grinding and making your own fun playing space ninja dress-ups.

Carrier it is!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'd suggest going for rhino first, but there is nothing wrong with trinity if that's your preference. Some good low rank weapons are karak and boltor for primary, and amphis is arguably a top tier melee weapon but has no rank requirement. Really though, for melee you should just get whatever you think is cool as most of them are usable. For pistols, probably bolto and then akbolto, though vasto/magnus also work.

I was going for Rhino, I have the head and chasis but can't seem to get his system. I will work on him first before Trinity.

Helter Skelter posted:

A sentinel would be a good move, yes (get Carrier). For a step up from the Braton, It kinda depends on what mastery rank you've reached. If you're only rank 2, the Boltor is a good choice. You can also bug some of the old-timers in clan chat to see if they have any spare parts to build a Latron Prime. If you're rank 3, things open up a bit more and you could go for something like the Drakgoon or Tetra.

Pistols have lots of options, my usual recommendation is the Vasto, Bolto, or Magnus. The Stug, Kunai, and Hikou are also good options if you want something a little different and are at least mastery rank 2.

I just hit rank 2 so after Carrier looks like will be getting Boltor. Unless I rank up and will look at the options.

Thank you for all the advise!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
At Mastery 2 you can build the stug, I think. This is a great idea and will teach you about death. It's fun, has a delayed explosion which gives you practice for later weapons where you'll want to predict enemy movement, does a ton of damage, and is far better than another bland secondary that shoots bullets in a straight line.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It also looks like a Space Super-Soaker if you use bright primary colours on it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Basically, get something you can rely on and then try every other weapon and frame that strikes your fancy. That's really all there is to the game unless you have ocd. If you do have ocd, run. Run now, and don't stop until you get somewhere without internet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Holy poo poo, I did not realize the stug is only mastery 2. I'm nearing 12 and only just grabbed it a couple weeks ago, and am leveling it through its second forma. This thing puts out a crazy amount of damage (e.g. took out the Stalker with one volley before he could even get up) , and the possibility of assisted suicide (like with the explosive weapons) adds a level of fun.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Trinity's not in a great place right now. She's got specific applications and that's it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Trinity is used for hitting the Blessing button while watching lone wolves with low shields and health go off and get swarmed and almost die well out of saving range.

I honestly never use Well of Life or Link, and Energy Vampire only occasionally.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Energy vampire is great now, though. Especially when paired with multiple vaubans, who can do absurd things with effectively infinite energy.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I just find that anything other than bosses and oxium ospreys die too quickly for Energy Vampire to really be worth it without coordination.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Energy Vampire is great compared to what it was, since it now dumps its remaining energy on enemy death. However, multiple Vaubans will be able to do absurd things regardless of Trinity's help. ONE Vauban will be able to do absurd things without Trinity's help.

Blessing saves a pubbie once. Telling them to stick with the group is more helpful, since it has a chance of convincing them to stick with the group.

Trinity's support skills are almost entirely superfluous. The only application she's going to have significant influence in is PVP, where she can feed energy to her allies letting them be horrible frustrating bastards to the enemy team from lv0, before their efficiency mods kick in.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I just find that anything other than bosses and oxium ospreys die too quickly for Energy Vampire to really be worth it without coordination.

Energy Vampire was recently changed so it pops its remaining energy when the target dies.

edit: beaten

Trinity's kind of a one-trick pony, though. Blessing is kinda dubious now, unless you're playing health limbo. Link is just okay. She's not the literally invulnerable murder-suicide machine she once was, but being able to provide infinite energy for your teammates can be great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One vauban without energy restores can keep their abilities going and be quite effective just from energy siphon and orb drops. It is a strong frame with strong powers, no question there. With energy vampire, you can make multiple clusters of teslas brighter than the sun and hilarious bounce pad fields and keep them up indefinitely. See, unlike every other frame you can overlap all of your powers for as long as you have energy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If Trinity uses blessing when someone is down, will it count their HP as 0% and give everyone 100% of the invincibility time as a result? I could see it still being really useful if so.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Nope. Downed allies don't count.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

welp bye Trinity.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You can hurt yourself with Castanas or some other explosive weapon to get your health down really low and then just get near invincibility again.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

About to start playing this duo with a friend for the first time, should we try to pick any particular combo of frames, or just go with whatever?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Can't go wrong with Excalibur, I'd say. That's what I picked.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?

Mercury_Storm posted:

You can hurt yourself with Castanas or some other explosive weapon to get your health down really low and then just get near invincibility again.

Now I'm imagining some ridiculous Castana build with 0% crit and 0% multishot that deals precisely enough damage to get trinity to 1 HP. Unfortunately it looks like theres no mod that reduces crit chance, so you'll always have the chance to kill yourself accidentally unless DE releases an explosive weapon with 0% crit.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Explosions never crit.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Run Quick Thinking on Trinity and have everything sort of work itself out.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Cosmic Afro posted:

Can't go wrong with Excalibur, I'd say. That's what I picked.

Excalibur is probably the weakest of the three starters.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Male Man posted:

Excalibur is probably the weakest of the three starters.

Depends. If you got goons dropping mods on you when you started, then Loki and Mag are better. But if you're solo with zero mods starting out, Excalibur is the less painful option. Especially since Skana is now the only decent weapon until you can buy a Braton.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

wid posted:

Depends. If you got goons dropping mods on you when you started, then Loki and Mag are better. But if you're solo with zero mods starting out, Excalibur is the less painful option. Especially since Skana is now the only decent weapon until you can buy a Braton.

I'm pretty sure that even modless, Invisibility or Pull outclass Barkleyframe.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Barkleyframe does need a Heavy Impact though, otherwise the dunks just aren't there.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
Hey, who knew? Kestrel, Glaive, and Glaive Prime now get the damage bonus from invisibility/smokescreen when thrown! (They didn't before melee 2.0).

Does anyone know if the invisible crits get a straight boost from crit damage melee mods?

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
I believe that stealth damage bonus is just 4x on top of everything.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
Has something changed on how mobs and bosses levels work in the past couple days? I just went for a online game against vor the boss of mercury and he and the elite adds were all level 30, normally this is a easy fight and he gets stomped but I got turn to hell and was wondering why so hovered over em all to see if there was anything different.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Bosses have scaled to the best equipped player for some time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What exactly is 'level' as it relates to missions? I have a personal rank, and then levels for all of my gear, so how do I know if I'm ready for any given mission?

If I kick the bucket and revive in a mission, when/how do those 4 revives regenerate?

And last, I was checking out some melee stance videos, melee attacks look pretty awesome - is melee actually a viable combat style if you build for it, or will you get shot to pieces trying to chase down ranged enemies on most missions?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

victrix posted:

What exactly is 'level' as it relates to missions? I have a personal rank, and then levels for all of my gear, so how do I know if I'm ready for any given mission?

If I kick the bucket and revive in a mission, when/how do those 4 revives regenerate?

Mission level is independent of any of your gear levels. It's just a range of levels for the mobs, to give you an idea of how tough they'll be.

Revives regenerate at 8 PM EST, and are tied to each warframe. That is, if you use up all your revives on one frame, your others are unaffected.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I have no idea about what mission level actually means in terms of expected difficulty.

To answer your other questions:

Every 'day' (24 hours I suppose? It might reset at a particular time) you get 4 revives for free and you can buy more from the marketplace. I think you might even get 4 revives per frame, so if you die 4 times on your Rhino frame, you can still take out your Loki frame and have 4 more revives on that, but I haven't gone out and tested this since I last noticed it to be sure I wasn't going crazy.

Combat stances increase your options in regards to melee combos, but this only applies when you press the 'equip melee weapon' button (if you have a gun equipped you can't do any special combos the stances offer), and your character puts the weapon in their hands like a main weapon - your combos change and become extended. It is important to note that most of the combos that these stances offer do not become available until you level up the stance using mod fusion the same way you level up other mods. Having a maxed out stance mod is good, because if you put it on a level 0 weapon that you just made (assuming it can take the stance mod) it will give it extra levels, and lets you use mods on it straight away, and is even more helpful everytime you use the forma item to polarise because polarising a weapon or frame resets its level to 0.

Melee is very viable, it is important to make the most of the acrobatic moves you have - mainly the sliding/spin attack and the ground slam/AOE attack. Some weapons like the Amphis and heat swords have a special effect when you do the slam attack which effects the area around you with a status like fire or electricity, and it does this without having to equip any mods. The spin attack usually does extra damage on hit, but with most weapons it also gives you an enormous speed boost (some of the two handed weapons with slow attack speeds will take your speed away). It can also be done mid air (sprint, jump crouch to make a flying kick pose, and then do a melee attack in the air and you should do a flying spin) - You use this to close distances and get around fast, it is really useful and even essential in missions like defense, survival and capture where as you say, the target is constantly running away from you. You can do the flying spin even if you have run out of stamina, you just need enough to do the flying kick.

e: this explains it better than I can, some of this stuff is old though since you can't charge melee attacks anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSMY0w-Pe8A

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 8, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Some stance combo attacks have damage multipliers, but other stances provide no particular benefit beyond the extra mod capacity and looking cool. It isn't really very balanced at the moment.

If you want to go all in for melee, there are only a few problems. First, ancients. Toxics and disruptors will mess you up unless you can kill them very quickly in melee. It isn't that big a problem at low levels, but for the higher level stuff guns are just plain better. Second is fliers. They are hard to hit with melee weapons for obvious reasons. Most frames have a ranged damage power so it isn't too much of a problem, but trying to do a pure melee loki can be troublesome against corpus for this reason. Third is grineer heavies. They do an aoe knockdown up close. However, this is mostly a matter of experience. This used to be a big pain in the rear end, but now you can block just about everything including knockdowns with your melee weapon out.

Any frame can melee perfectly well, but a few get straight up bonuses or are particularly well suited to it. First and foremost is obviously invisibility. That's ash and loki. Giant melee damage bonus and things won't actively attack you, though any aoe will still hit you as usual. Loki has good mobility/utility powers, ash has damage powers. Next is valkyr. Her ult is still kind of janky, but its damage runs off of your melee weapon. Very high armor and health, and with a good enough melee weapon you will only ever use the ult to recover health. Get a rage mod and you just plain won't die, ever. Valkyr is also due for a revamp soon, supposedly. Hydroid gets an honorable mention, though most people might not think of it that way. See, barrage and puddle (though puddle has downsides) both knock poo poo down, and barrage continues without any further input on your part. So, get a melee weapon with a good finisher and you can smack dudes on the ground without being hit back. It is more of a funny gimmick than a serious build, maybe. Last is rhino, which can melee just like it can do everything else. You won't die, get status effects or get knocked down with iron skin up, and if you get surrounded there is his ult.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I got a 50% off platinum coupon thing, are these common, or should I bother picking up some now?

Also where is my straw hat

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Those are uncommon enough that it's worth buying a chunk of platinum with it for future weapon/frame slots and impulse buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Warframe coming to XBone, per JPN Warframe Facebook post. Unless this is a 1:1 slapdash PC port, I can't see it boding well for development time on the existing platforms (though it's not like the currently alloted dev time goes where it needs to).