Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

There's probably quite a few nerds who don't like originality and like wasting incredible talent on derivatives that would love this idea.

You realize the witcher is also a novel series right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Toadsniff posted:

There's probably quite a few nerds who don't like originality and like wasting incredible talent on derivatives that would love this idea.

While I don't watch or read Thrones, both The Witcher and Cyberpunk were established IPs before CDPR got to them.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Novel that no one read, a pen & paper game no one played, and the other has a huge tv series made after it. It's kinda like saying "Boy I wish CDPR made a Lord of the Ring game, that'd be swell!"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
That Wild Hunt guy they focus on has real sweet looking and detailed armor. It looks similar to what Kentaro Miura of Berserk fame would draw. :allears:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Toadsniff posted:

Novel that no one read, a pen & paper game no one played, and the other has a huge tv series made after it. It's kinda like saying "Boy I wish CDPR made a Lord of the Ring game, that'd be swell!"

No, it's not. Tonally, there's some similarities between ASoIaF and The Witcher which means that it's reasonable to think a GoT video game by CDPR would be good.

Lord of the Rings is about as far as you can get from the tone of those two while still being fantasy, and grim-and-gritting it up would not work (see also: the new not-Assassin's-Creed LotR game).

There's no reason to think a CDPR ASoIaF game would be any worse than The Witcher game by dint of also being an adaptation, basically.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Is Aryan La Valette's torture confession a genuine confession or a lie under duress (although I don't see how that would help Foltest)?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is Aryan La Valette's torture confession a genuine confession or a lie under duress
It's a lie.

theDOWmustflow posted:

(although I don't see how that would help Foltest)?
Well, he's dead. The lie helps the nobles who are arguing over who gets to inherit the throne if Foltest has no children who can.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

Well, he's dead. The lie helps the nobles who are arguing over who gets to inherit the throne if Foltest has no children who can.

Yeah basically once Foltest bites it there is a huge conspiracy kicked off by some of the nobles to seize power/the throne for themselves. Foltest's bastards are a bit problematic in that regard so if they can be discredited itd help their cause greatly.

Its possible Foltest never meant to honor his promise to treat Aryan with honor if he surrendered, though Foltest would probably have been more likely to straight up execute him for treason rather than torture him for shits and giggles, plus the confession only hurts Foltest as unless you import a save with Adda alive his line would end with his death if he doesnt acknowledge his bastards. Also if you kill Aryan then the Baroness LaVellete is being tortured and one thing you learn about Foltest is that despite their rather rocky relationship Foltest would never harm her.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
Not that CDPR wouldn't be perfect for an ASOIAF game, but licensing rights with HBO or GRRMs publisher would probably be extremely costly. Better that they use somewhat lesser known IPs that come cheaper and save their money for actual game development than spending it on the newly popular IP.

Plus telltale is already making a GoT game. I'd rather CDPR make one about pirates. There hasn't been a pirate RPG since like, the last Sid Meyers one. (I don't count black flag since 40% of the game was spent talking about space aliens.)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There's already a GOT RPG. The story is supposed to be decent but the gameplay is a bit clunky.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Plus telltale is already making a GoT game. I'd rather CDPR make one about pirates. There hasn't been a pirate RPG since like, the last Sid Meyers one. (I don't count black flag since 40% of the game was spent talking about space aliens.)

Risen 2 - Dark Waters

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Unfortunately, it's somewhat flawed. I still beat it, because I've beat all Piranha Bytes games, but this was definitely not their best game.

You should play the first Risen first and if you like that, play Risen 2 and use muskets as your weapon of choice. They're simply the only non-wonky combat style.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They should keep the trend and make a game about Mordimer Madderdin, which would be even less accessible to most people, because author (Jacek Piekara) is right-wing, misogynistic and crazy as gently caress and is unlikely to have any of his books translated.
Short description of book world: Christ died on a cross, but then a demon entered his body, left cross, massacred most of Jerusalem and set himself up as an emperor. Fast forward 1500ish years, action takes place in ultra-theocratic Holy Roman Empire, inquisitors are doing their stuff Torquemada style, but many of them also have some limited magical powers (more like rituals).
One of covers

Serious answer: I think they should just make their own world for other projects, or use Witcher's world but in different time/place. Maybe a game about advent of gunpowder with character from some other background, where witchers are distant memory.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

I absolutely love the references to the first game in the trailer, the King of the Wild Hunt's spiel about choices and greater evil is pretty much taken verbatim from TW1.:allears:
I do hope we get to revisit Vizima and the Outskirts, considering where we're gonna meet the emperor.
Also holy crap, noonwraiths! The heat of the day was my favorite quest. :haw:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

I don't think there was an outfit I truly hated in W2. They were all awesome.
So long as I get to wear the outfit from a "Sackful of Fluff" in W3 I'll be thrilled!:wotwot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rjI1zjaSUE

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Toadsniff posted:

Uh, The Witcher books are extremely popular in Poland which is CD Projekt's home country. Just because it's almost unheard of here doesn't mean it's not well known elsewhere.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 7, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Am I the only one wishing CD Project would make a Game of Thrones game after watching the Wild Hunt trailer?

People has said that sine The Witcher's 2007 game so no, you aren't exactly the only one.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
When they did the zoom in on the group of witchers in that trailer, one looked pretty beefy. Wonder if it could have been Letho? That would own. It was just the guy's arm in the shot, no head or anything.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is it worth playing on Dark difficulty for the unique items while using the combat rebalance mod? I tried playing it a year or 2 ago and quit about 15 hours in because I was tired of getting killed in combat by stupid poo poo but the mod seems to fix all of that

edit: just going to play through on normal

Mustang fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 7, 2014

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mustang posted:

Is it worth playing on Dark difficulty for the unique items while using the combat rebalance mod? I tried playing it a year or 2 ago and quit about 15 hours in because I was tired of getting killed in combat by stupid poo poo but the mod seems to fix all of that

The unique items are just armor and weapons to make Dark mode not as hard.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Uh, The Witcher books are extremely popular in Poland which is CD Projekt's home country. Just because it's almost unheard of here doesn't mean it's not well known elsewhere.

I only just read the rest of his comment and :laffo: at describing CP2020 as "a pen and paper RPG no one has played," too.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Toadsniff posted:

I agree, a Lord of the Rings game done by a really details-oriented studio like CDPR would be really interesting.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Lycus posted:

SpRahl posted:

Yeah basically once Foltest bites it there is a huge conspiracy kicked off by some of the nobles to seize power/the throne for themselves. Foltest's bastards are a bit problematic in that regard so if they can be discredited itd help their cause greatly.

Oh, duh, right. For some reason I'd assumed that Foltest issued the order first. This also makes La Valette going out in a blaze of glory more sensible (honorable, even) instead of melodramatic and video-game-cheesy.

On another note, I'm a little bit miffed at all the traits I've apparently missed by picking the wrong conversation options in the course of the game. The two big ones I just missed are Haggling when negotiating with the Kayran merchant guy (-20% on merchant shop prices) and Resists Magic (+20% magic resistance) by choosing the sex scene option in the Elf Ruin with Triss. The way the latter ability is gained could imply that Triss is/attempting to magically manipulate Geralt. Is this what's actually happening?

Lastly, I finally found a functioning Witcher 2 respec mod. I've scoured the net for this badboy but the the only reference I've found is a blog post with a broken link.

quote:

HOW TO USE

1. Make a copy of your CookedPC\base_scripts.dzip
2. Replace the base_scripts.dzip file with the one provided
3. Start the game and use Geralt's medallion
4. Save the game and exit
5. Restore your base_scripts.dzip

NOTES:
EVERY time you use your Medallion, all your talents are reset, so restore whatever base_scripts.dzip file you were using after a respec.
If you use a mod that changes the talent tree, this mod may not work properly.

I've uploaded it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/h5zzk7erh996k0d/gqWitcher2RespecMod.zip

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Mustang posted:

Apparently the combat rebalance mod breaks a lot of things that you'll notice later in the game. The comment sections for the mod on sites its uploaded on are rife with bug reports, even game breaking ones.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I would just not worry about getting the traits, they're just little surprises that pop up every once in a while.

theDOWmustflow posted:

The way the latter ability is gained could imply that Triss is/attempting to magically manipulate Geralt. Is this what's actually happening?
I just took it as a little joke.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 7, 2014

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

The Witcher 3 on pre-order sale for 10% but on the Steam store page it was 20% off. I'm guessing this is a glitch? Either way, I'm really excited to play it.

I recently started playing the first game, and I'm impressed with how amazing this game is. For something that came out in 2007, it looks fantastic, the dialogue, the music, the story, and how well the city is done in Chapter 2. I'm almost done with Chapter 2, but I heard the game is suppose to get even better in the next chapters.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mad Pino Rage posted:

The Witcher 3 on pre-order sale for 10% but on the Steam store page it was 20% off. I'm guessing this is a glitch? Either way, I'm really excited to play it.

I recently started playing the first game, and I'm impressed with how amazing this game is. For something that came out in 2007, it looks fantastic, the dialogue, the music, the story, and how well the city is done in Chapter 2. I'm almost done with Chapter 2, but I heard the game is suppose to get even better in the next chapters.

If you made it through and enjoyed chapter 2, swamps and all, then you have a lot to look forward to in this game.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Mad Pino Rage posted:

10% to pre-order, an additional 5% for each previous Witcher title you own, for Steam and GoG.

It's refreshing to play a high-production value RPG title that doesn't hold your hand and has the potential to gently caress you over in quests if you make obviously wrong choices. The game is quickly breaking habits I've learned from playing other modern RPGS that are too forgiving to the point that your actions and choices are largely inconsequential. Make moronic choices and NPCs will react accordingly (The meeting of Geralt and Zoltan with Iorvath in the clearing come to mind).

I also like how I've stopped mindlessly picking the charity options once I realized how important money was and how little of it I had. gently caress chivalry, I gotta get paid son.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

theDOWmustflow posted:

10% to pre-order, an additional 5% for each previous Witcher title you own, for Steam and GoG.

It's not this for the UK, actually.

The GOG preorder is 17% off base, with an extra 5% per Witcher game you own on GOG (but the discount reduces the amount of store credit you get because GOG are bad at maths :haw:). The Steam one seems to be 20% base with 10% for each game, because it's currently -40% in the UK (the game still comes out at $50 with a 40% discount).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

theDOWmustflow posted:

The game is quickly breaking habits I've learned from playing other modern RPGS that are too forgiving to the point that your actions and choices are largely inconsequential. Make moronic choices and NPCs will react accordingly (The meeting of Geralt and Zoltan with Iorvath in the clearing come to mind).
What's going on in town being a result of what you did during the garden fight is a cool one.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

vandalism posted:

When they did the zoom in on the group of witchers in that trailer, one looked pretty beefy. Wonder if it could have been Letho? That would own. It was just the guy's arm in the shot, no head or anything.

It was definitely Letho. Every visible part of his outfit was the same.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
On TW1: is it possible to kind of rush through the infamous swamps to get on with the good bits of the story? Or is it going to be the Witcher equivalent of the Mage Tower/Fade/Orzammar where you just have to deal?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think there's a way to partially rush it but Act 2 Spoilers: it ends up with you completely loving up the chapter quest so that Geralt never finds out about Azar Javed, leading to a much harder end-of-act fight

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Riso posted:

There's already a GOT RPG. The story is supposed to be decent but the gameplay is a bit clunky.

I liked it. Gameplay-wise it's pretty much The Witcher 1.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

On TW1: is it possible to kind of rush through the infamous swamps to get on with the good bits of the story? Or is it going to be the Witcher equivalent of the Mage Tower/Fade/Orzammar where you just have to deal?
I don't know about as early as Chapter 2. But if you focus on speccing up Igni, you can eventually just run through the swamp spamming the sign key and quickly and easily kill everything without really stopping unless you want to loot their parts. I think I was doing that as early as Chapter 3, if I'm remembering correctly.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 7, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
just a heads up, if you are like me and one of your games in on gog and the other on steam(and the steam key doesn't work on gog), somebody with both games on steam can buy Witcher 3 with the largest discount and gift it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

There hasn't been a pirate RPG since like, the last Sid Meyers one. (I don't count black flag since 40% of the game was spent talking about space aliens.)

There were some good ones made by Akella - Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates, but that's still 5 years ago.

Lycus posted:

I don't know about as early as Chapter 2. But if you focus on speccing up Igni, you can eventually just run through the swamp spamming the sign key and quickly and easily kill everything without really stopping unless you want to loot their parts. I think I was doing that as early as Chapter 3, if I'm remembering correctly.
Igni is for losers, group style is where it's at - run through the swamp until there are 6-10 monsters after you, stop for a moment and kill them all with two swings.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 7, 2014

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cheston posted:

I liked it. Gameplay-wise it's pretty much The Witcher 1.

You mean clunky combat that is both overly complicated yet somehow tediously simple?

Compared to W2, which has my favourite combat in any game, up with Dark Souls and Mass Effect 2.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm thinking of replaying W2, as I never went Iorveth path, and I want to do so bfore W3 comes out. Is it worth using the combat rebalance mod? Back when it came out I heard a lot of good things about it, but a couple of people have mentioned bugs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Davoren posted:

I'm thinking of replaying W2, as I never went Iorveth path, and I want to do so bfore W3 comes out. Is it worth using the combat rebalance mod? Back when it came out I heard a lot of good things about it, but a couple of people have mentioned bugs now.

I'll say it again, don't use it. It improves a couple things a bit but basically breaks a bunch of other mechanics and leads to major issues later.

• Locked thread