Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I tried reading The Ancestor's Tale recently because the premise seemed interesting and it was covering something I wanted to know more about. But gently caress me, Dawkins can't give being his particular brand of smug atheist shitlord a rest for very long. You could picture him sitting there being all :colbert: and probably having a wank at how clever his checkmating of those pesky religionists was.

Needless to say, I did not finish the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronya posted:

demanding that Britain abandon meat and fruit is so far-fetched that I am not sure the argument that it is relevant to giving up the green belt

Food independency isn't relevant either, but you brought that up.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ronya posted:

yes it is - it would be an objective bad to try to scatter households all over England when UK manufacturing just doesn't need them any more to keep making more and more stuff.

I think it is an objective bad to allow manufacturers to determine where people have to spend their lives, without any care for where people actually want to live, where their communities are, where the land is suitable, and so on. We should try to move the jobs, as well as people.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Spangly A posted:

Food independency isn't relevant either, but you brought that up.

It was a reply to oh dear me

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ronya posted:

It was a reply to oh dear me

It was an irrelevant reply to oh dear me.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zephro posted:

I all kinds of don't get this, as a random diversion. It's always seemed strange that this forum is so full of defenders of organised religion. My best guess is that atheism/skepticism is in the ascendent culturally (at least among the young, educated Western people who make up most of the posters on SA) and so people want to kick back against it reflexively (which is really just a long-winded way of saying it's all about "gently caress you, Dad!"). But it's long struck me as really odd.

I'm currently going through Zizek's Violence, and there's a really good bit in chapter 3 that takes a look at the ways in which science (or rather, SCIENCE, BITCHES!! :circlefap: of reddit/imgur fame) is the new religion in the sense of offering the same sense of comfort and security that religion always used to, while religion (or Abrahmic ones at least) is the new place to be for doubters and those who question the world and the way it's going. (anecdotally, most of the more philosophical people I've met have either been clergy-in-training or regular churchgoers, though the fact of my living in the northwest may be introducing some skew)

"Religion" in the opiate-of-the-masses sense, it turns out, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with contextualising one's life via god(s). You're probably right that the larger part of the goon response is just reactionary though.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 6, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Oh dear me posted:

I think it is an objective bad to allow manufacturers to determine where people have to spend their lives, without any care for where people actually want to live, where their communities are, where the land is suitable, and so on. We should try to move the jobs, as well as people.

may I remind you that your own argument was to sanctify the choices of manufacturers to determine where people have to spend their lives - not even existing manufacturers, but those of the past century, just because that's where their old housing stock was accumulated? We can certainly move jobs and people. We could move them to London, Birmingham, and Manchester (and Edinburgh, if they don't secede). That might get in the way of a certain green belt, though.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

There's also at least one atheist cult, which is its own special brand of hilarious.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ronya posted:

may I remind you that your own argument was to sanctify the choices of manufacturers to determine where people have to spend their lives -

No it wasn't, do give over. I suggested that we should set a limit on our desire for housing and consider tackling its distribution, and that building on agricultural land is undesirable because we're going to need more food. None of that entails refusing ever to pull a house down and build one elsewhere.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Oh dear me posted:

No it wasn't, do give over. I suggested that we should set a limit on our desire for housing and consider tackling its distribution, and that building on agricultural land is undesirable because we're going to need more food. None of that entails refusing ever to pull a house down and build one elsewhere.

Clearly you aren't seeing the true potential of the land:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyL5mAqFJds&t=33s

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Wolfsbane posted:

There's also at least one atheist cult, which is its own special brand of hilarious.

Oh poo poo, now I feel really bad for finding the first few chapters of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality entertaining. Is there nothing the UKMT can't ruin?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Oh dear me posted:

... wait, why is the conversion of residential areas back to agricultural and agricultural areas to residential necessarily a process that must happen at the same time, to keep the quantity of housing conserved? This is a bizarre conclusion from an argument to value agricultural land in the future, which I trust was your point?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ronya posted:

This is a bizarre conclusion from an argument

That was a bizarre conclusion to an argument. :)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
... NO U. Or something.

ronya fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 6, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I think people were argung at cross purposes in the last page.
Green belt does not mean agricultural land. Lots of it is quite simply waste ground.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I agree that dawkins has become a bit embarrassing but we are shielded in england in every day life from most of the religious craziness. We are very lucky in that respect.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Majorian posted:

Have they, though? I can think of a lot of left-leaning clerics and ministers over the last century - MLK and Desmond Tutu being two prime examples.

e: Or, in the case of the UK, William Wilberforce. As portrayed by Horatio Hornblower.

Wilberforce was not at all left-leaning. For example, he was upset about women getting involved in abolitionism because he thought it was inappropriate (especially because most of these women were a lot more radical when it came to opposing slavery than him). Generally he was pretty drat conservative.

this isnt really relevant

edit: also I want to thank Something Awful for curing me of my embarrassing militant teenage atheism. I am so grateful, although nothing can cure me of the shame I feel for once having been a fan of Dawkins. Don't blame me, I was young and didn't know better.

Not a Twat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 6, 2014

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Jippa posted:

I agree that dawkins has become a bit embarrassing but we are shielded in england in every day life from most of the religious craziness. We are very lucky in that respect.

They just found 800 dead babies and children in the septic tank of one of the nun led homes for unwed mothers in Ireland, dating from between 1925 and 1961. I'm pretty sure there's posters in this thread born before 1961 - it's not a long time ago at all.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Dawkinschat: :nws:http://i.imgur.com/oAct3v7.png:nws:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hookerbot 5000 posted:

They just found 800 dead babies and children in the septic tank of one of the nun led homes for unwed mothers in Ireland, dating from between 1925 and 1961. I'm pretty sure there's posters in this thread born before 1961 - it's not a long time ago at all.

Also, we just had a religiously driven PM that took us to war in a foreign country based purely on religious dogma (remember, it was blair that pushed bush to invade iraq, NOT the other way around)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

If Steve Irwin had said that it'd be chuckles and back pats all round. Oh Steve, you so crazy for watching animals go at it :allears:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I saw that as well but England is a different country to Ireland? How is that relevant?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

If Steve Irwin had said that it'd be chuckles and back pats all round. Oh Steve, you so crazy for watching animals go at it :allears:

Wait, he's a biologist, why are we surprised he's observed fruit flies having sex?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
i have no idea what his intention was by saying that, but whatever it was, i intend to condemn him for it

this circle ain't gonna jerk itself y'know.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

hookerbot 5000 posted:

The skeletons in the septic tank were actually found in 1975. It's only news now because it took this long for a historian to go through the paperwork and put numbers to the unmarked dead from the Tuam orphanage. The reason it was ignored for so long is that literally no one local gave a poo poo about the orphanage children, because their mothers were poor unmarried women.

Plus it's not like they had to give them decent burials, if they were unbaptised neonates then they couldn't be buried on consecrated ground anyway. :eng99:

For added Catholic church horribleness in a non-British country, check out the Duplessis orphans! what the christ seriously

I'm going to have to reaffirm that we've been lucky with religions in Britain, especially when it comes to non-conformist churches.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

SybilVimes posted:

Wait, he's a biologist, why are we surprised he's observed fruit flies having sex?

Not only that he's a biologist, but a significant part of his academic stuff is on flies, and Drosophila in particular.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The funny part is the canine sixty-nine… sixty-canine?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Oh dear me posted:

We need food, we are going to need lots more food, and we have a steadily diminishing amount of soil. Building on our agricultural land is a terrible idea.

George Monbiot recently suggested we could have enough housing already:

I haven't read the Danny Dorling book, but it seems to me rather likely that demand for housing is like demand for roads - it will expand as the supply does. There surely has to be some limit where we say we've built enough, and tackle the distribution problem. The countryside doesn't just benefit the people who live right next to it - our wrecking of it hurts a lot of city dwellers too.

I have read Dorling's book, and found his emphasis on bedrooms per capita kind of jarring given his incessant ranting about the iniquities of the bedroom tax and these two points from his "how to fix things" section:

quote:

4. Spare bedrooms should not be taxed. Every family should be able to live in a home with a spare room for visitors.
5. An enhanced home-building programme will be needed if more people come into the UK than leave, as has been the case in recent years.

London currently has 1.01 bedrooms per person; even allowing for the fact that some people share bedrooms, it'd need a substantial housebuilding program to satisfy the goal of giving every family a home with a spare room, particularly given its ongoing population growth.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Not a Twat posted:

Wilberforce was not at all left-leaning. For example, he was upset about women getting involved in abolitionism because he thought it was inappropriate (especially because most of these women were a lot more radical when it came to opposing slavery than him). Generally he was pretty drat conservative.

Fair enough - I meant to refer specifically to his abolitionism, which certainly was religiously motivated, but admittedly that wasn't the only facet of his worldview.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TinTower posted:

483 in dog years

LemonDrizzle posted:

London currently has 1.01 bedrooms per person; even allowing for the fact that some people share bedrooms, it'd need a substantial housebuilding program to satisfy the goal of giving every family a home with a spare room, particularly given its ongoing population growth.

Haven't read it or anything, but are you sure his point isn't that a family should be able to live in a house with a spare room, not that every family should have one? So more about covering that demand where it exists, and not penalising people for it

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 6, 2014

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

60-K9

LemonDrizzle posted:

I have read Dorling's book, and found his emphasis on bedrooms per capita kind of jarring given his incessant ranting about the iniquities of the bedroom tax and these two points from his "how to fix things" section:

The other thing that should be noted as well though is that there is a huge tax break on new-build over renovation or refurbishment. This put a big damper on any development where there is an existing structurre which is already more expensive to deal with.

In addition I don't think building houses in what would be zone 7 is an answer to people wanting or needing to work in London. Just commuting time and transport capacity wise you're starting to hit certain limits where it would be better to encourage new hubs rather than try to push the current one further.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

First 32 people drawn at http://antlab.co.uk/sweepstake/c/b2ca35c6.html

If you're not in this list you either haven't entered or will be drawn before the end of the week. As it stands we've got 47 entrants for £235 to some charity.

Still time to enter, will cost you a fiver to a charity: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wrOZLqHwOiUrz9UCC2mTAQPscdOi53MIF5n6D8r86_Q

Any idea when the second lot will be drawn? :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

Any idea when the second lot will be drawn? :)

Group 2 is up to 21. I'll draw it Sunday night.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh yeah, I'm in on the thing :sax:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

I think people were argung at cross purposes in the last page.
Green belt does not mean agricultural land. Lots of it is quite simply waste ground.

[citation needed] because by my very unscientific sampling most of the London green belt seems to be agricultural (dairy in Essex and Herts, arable in Kent and Surrey - the area between the M25 and the Medway is still some of the most productive agricultural land in Europe). It also tends to have lovely transport links so absent massive infrastructure works all you're going to do is send even more traffic into central London.

And as I've said the people who want to build on green belt aren't looking to make loads of nice new starter homes for the working class, they want to make yet more endless suburbia for the upper-middle class to flee from the dark-skinned centre of town to.

The housing shortage is enforced scarcity. There's room to build in London, absolutely shitloads of it. Here's a simple example - the area of Bromley-by-Bow between the A102 and Manor Road is basically wasteland, with a population of about a thousand, but is almost as large as the Isle of Dogs, population 50,000. But even with big incentives from Newham and Tower Hamlets councils, with the exception of a couple of really poorly-planned Olympic-area developments up at the north end, it's seen no development whatsoever in the last 40 years. It's served by the Jubilee and District lines and DLR, meaning it's at most twenty minutes from anywhere in central London or Canary Wharf. There's massively intensive development happening literally on its borders around Langdon Park, Bow, Stratford and Blackwall but Bromley is still basically scrap yards and self-storage places.

Why doesn't anyone want to build there? Because it's not sexy. It's just that simple. Developers aren't putting houses where people need them, or where it would be cheap and easy to build, they're putting them where everyone else is putting them to chase the micro-bubbles as they appear (compare the north and south sides of Bow Road past the Bow flyover). It's almost as if relying on The Market to provide is what's causing everything that's wrong with the London housing market...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
maybe nobody's building there because the whole triangle has already been slated for a future green corridor park

which the area will need as it becomes denser and wealthier, anyway. You can't demand that everyone take the tube to central London just to get access to large public parks.

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014
Can you really expect developers to put houses where people don't want them? Considering hundreds of the Olympic village houses are still empty it seems entirely unsurprising that companies are not lining up to build in Bromley and similar spaces. If suburban developments are what people are buying, why shouldn't we produce more?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Tiran Dirth posted:

Can you really expect developers to put houses where people don't want them? Considering hundreds of the Olympic village houses are still empty it seems entirely unsurprising that companies are not lining up to build in Bromley and similar spaces. If suburban developments are what people are buying, why shouldn't we produce more?

because giving any time at all to concerns of "the market" is stupid as gently caress, and will always be stupid as gently caress, and we really should have figured out by now that we have to actually plan things and create affordable housing, even if it isn't the poo poo hot profit maker.

ronya posted:

maybe nobody's building there because the whole triangle has already been slated for a future green corridor park

which the area will need as it becomes denser and wealthier, anyway. You can't demand that everyone take the tube to central London just to get access to large public parks.

Let me cry sad, sad tears about the wealthy people having to get a tube to get to a park, going past affordable housing as they do.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
How long has the lack of housing been going on? Someone posted election posters from the Thatcher era, I believe, which promised building 200k houses a year. Have we really been underbuilding since the 80s?

Correct me if I'm wrong in this assessment but housing value is an albatross around the neck of the working class in the UK. Whilst the post war and Thatcher generations have done well out of them anyone from the mid 80s are getting bled monthly for the profit of rentiers and stare at 40 year mortages. If you're a property owner it's been the best investment around but has been a huge redistribution of wealth in the living costs of the working class to property owners.

I've been through three houses in six years so I love the cost of it in the south :v:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the road protests ended the Thatcher-era plan for housing, which was to make more suburbia and then put bigger and bigger roads to them. No highways, so no housing.

In any case they were hardly attached to the idea as is, so when certain elements decided to try and hold highways hostage in order to bargain for social services funding, they happily shot the hostage and the funding (thirty years on, this strategy does not seem like one of Britain's best political choices). If neither cabinet nor the local governments are enthusiastic, nothing's going to happen.

the modern plan for affordable housing has settled on a model of obliging developers to add on affordable units to projects. I think the political acceptability of this has a shelf-life, though. The legitimization of poor-and-rich adjacency is familiar to London, since scattering cheaply-built affordable housing is what local authorities have done over the past century so it's the status quo, but it's unfamiliar to American cities, which instead use intense rent ceilings and de facto abandonment of urban policing to enforce urban affordability. So it is almost certainly going to detonate across the pond in the next decade, and then the politics will flow back here.

• Locked thread