Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

How do these people breathe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Apart from very carefully

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

vyelkin posted:

yeah really if you think about it we'd do much better if all our players were poo poo and played in a poo poo league.

Half way there.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

chuggo is BACK posted:

Apart from very carefully

Through their mouths

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ewar Woowar posted:

See, I see it the other way... the same was Donovan did.

He said MLS is harder for that very reason, there's far more hustle and physical play...

It's chaos and confusion at time. To me that pace and erratic style causes confusion in defenses. We are comfortable playing that way. But, the other nations around the world aren't ready to play against that type of game. German teams especially fold when the play breaks down and isn't going according to script.

If you can take out best skill players, and have them use that style of game, EJ, Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, etc. we could catch the world off guard not ready for it. They would try to sit back in a posession style game, and we'd beat them to most 50/50 balls, and create chances out of nothing, and tire them down throughout the 90 to where goals late in games became a regularity. Because we could swap in next guy off the bench with regularity and rotate the line-ups, it would keep our players fresher over the coarse of a tournament, that when other players competing against them after a lengthy European season where they're used to cooler temperatures, suddenly have to stay with our fresher players who are used to playing in the heat, and had been rested over the winter, we could have a MAJOR advantage.

let's just go back to the NASL days and have the national team play as a lovely-rear end team in lovely-rear end MLS.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Fag Boy Jim posted:

let's just go back to the NASL days and have the national team play as a lovely-rear end team in lovely-rear end MLS.

Also bring back the NASL penalty style.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Byolante posted:

I really liked those, not even joking

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ewar Woowar posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking.

They have offside, goals and goalkeepers in Ice hockey. Surely shootouts are also something that should be common!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I unironically think shootouts are better than penalties.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

oliwan posted:

Same

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

But when you hear shootouts you think of two swole alphas seeing who can dose the most Vietnamese knockoff AOD581

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

America, the country that talks about that "amazing comeback against Slovenia" and an "epic performance against Algeria" for years.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

In some strange alternate universe (in the mind of an NFL.com editor), the NFL has a World Cup team. What you will see below is a starting 11 of the game's greatest players placed in soccer positions where they could conceivably succeed. Just like with the U.S. Men's National Team and its surprising cut of Landon Donovan, there were some difficult decisions to make with this team, too.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

This list is null and void because I do not see Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. Let alone little maestro Drew Brees.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Allen Iverson would have been the best "footballer" ever.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Jesus I can't decide what is worse, the article itself or the photos.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

trem_two posted:

Jesus I can't decide what is worse, the article itself or the photos.

Gotta be the article because the photos are loving hilarious

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

oliwan posted:

I've said this before and I stand by it, especially with the paradinha poo poo nowadays

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As a Scottish man, I am 100% behind penalties, because nothing makes an English team bottle harder than penalties.

Chillao
Jan 12, 2004
discerning gentleman

franks posted:

Gotta be the article because the photos are loving hilarious

the photos are class. Would love to see the U S M N T embracing their sporting culture and doing some nfl-style celebrations, ridiculous walks, spiking the ball, etc when they score a goal they will score one (1) goal

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Yeeessssss I love it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

As a Scottish man, I am 100% behind penalties, because nothing makes an English team bottle harder than penalties.

Shootouts give even more opportunity for John Terry or STEVIE G to fall over and cry though.

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
between the pipes

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

quote:

Portugal is still favored against the US, don't get me wrong. But a huge part of that is Ronaldo. If Ronaldo was actually hurt and this wasn't media driven mountains from molehills the US would be favored.

Like my work is like 1/3 1st and 2nd generation Portugese-Americans, most with strong ties back home. Four years ago they were confident. Two years ago they felt pretty good about the Euros. They don't feel good now.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

lol

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I wonder how they're gonna feel two years from now, reminiscing about Portugal's 69-0 win against the US with Cronaldo scoring all the goals

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

ESPN truly is the world's leader in sports news

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1863620

quote:

Nana Kwaku Bonsam, a witch doctor whose name translates as "The Devil of Wednesday" and who plies his trade at the Kofioo Kofi shrine in Kumasi, claims he foresaw Ronaldo's injury back in February and that it is entirely his doing, according to The Guardian.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

They must be making GBS threads themselves in Sheffield

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/conzpreti/the-definite-ranking-of-the-best-bulges-in-this-world-cup

The Definite Ranking Of The Best Bulges In This World Cup posted:

All bulges are ranked and measured on a scale of zero to five David Beckhams. Every soccer bulge was analyzed by a team of experts which then gave the number of Beckhams it deserved.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

You would think that story is bullshit but

http://www.theage.com.au/news/soccer/safran-helps-lift-curse-of-the-socceroos/2005/11/19/1132017027452.html

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

quote:

JR has already discussed transfer targets with DM. He has also opened lines of press communication. He is plenipotentiary.

quote:

The real lines of communication within the new structure will be interesting.
We have moved from an over-exclusive football fiefdom - with a temporary emperor figurehead, who takes the kitchen sink and the piggy bank with him, whenever anointed or deposed - to a multi-layered oversight committee with heavyweight voices and transfer, media and wise-owl influence.
The board will have reporting structures and accessible football-insider information on the assets in real-time, but who has who's ear in the new court of Norwich...

quote:

As PC and I have pointed out on several threads a good deal of what Hughton did, both in a club-wide and strict coaching sense, was intelligent, thoughtful and diligent. This would forever be the case with any single manager. The good departs with the bad. The cult and romance of the unilateral emperor makes addictive, wide-eyed copy for the credulous, but it is not good business. Its origins are in insecure football protectionism. I like the template I see now. I expect refinement, shifting roles and favourites at court and (I should be disappointed not to see) some Macchiavellian manoeuvrings to curry favour at court, which will generate some constructive stress, but the longer term consequence will be the dissolving of Chinese walls between business and football and some much-needed cross-pollination of information, ideas and principles of scrutiny and oversight from board to ball.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

is this written by a translation robot?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

I love that guy.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

oliwan posted:

is this written by a translation robot?

Its written by the patron saint of this thread

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
pls rename me 'wise-owl influence' tia

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I love to watch Macchiavellian manoeuvrings disappear and reappear before my eyes

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Death to America

http://grantland.com/features/how-to-watch-the-world-cup-like-a-true-soccer-nerd/

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
That is so good. Moderators, please rename me Nerdy American Sports Fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Personally I'd like to be renamed Double-Bubba lineup