Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

So, if we're lucky the writing of this game will land on "so bad it's good".
More likely, it'll be "so bad it's embarrassing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"You ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light? I have. I am the abyss, stare into the ruby hue of my eyes and you will see the obsidian shadows of my heart. Tell me your enemies and they shall die in a flash of crimson!"

- Sasuke Edge sighs as he draws his Hanzo Steel

I'm available to write for you Bioware, just give me a call.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"You know that feeling you get when you slide your spoon into a bowl of soup? Yeah, that's because you don't care about anything beyond eating. My sword is like that spoon, pushing in and out, feeding me. Sustaining my life forces. The world is my bowl of soup, and it needs more salt."

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Would it have been better if there were no quotes, just a close up of the character and "Meet _____ at E3!" ?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Would it have been better if there were no quotes, just a close up of the character and "Meet _____ at E3!" ?

If those are going to be the quotes? Yes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dan Didio posted:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dan Didio posted:

Agreed. These quotes seem like the writers were trying too hard to be "quirky" instead of actually good.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

These quotes remind me of the party banter your party in the last two games can have with one another as you're roaming.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I never take game writing very seriously. It makes it easier to be pleasantly surprised, and harder to be offended intellectually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. These quotes seem like the writers were trying too hard to be "quirky" instead of actually good.

quote:

The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He's got esprit up to here. Right now, he is preparing to carry out his third mission of the night. His uniform is black as activated charcoal, filtering the very light out of the air. A bullet will bounce off its arachnofiber weave like a wren hitting a patio door, but excess perspiration wafts through it like a breeze through a freshly napalmed forest. Where his body has bony extremities, the suit has sintered armorgel: feels like gritty jello, protects like a stack of telephone books.

When they gave him the job, they gave him a gun. The Deliverator never deals in cash, but someone might come after him anyway-might want his car, or his cargo. The gun is tiny, aero-styled, lightweight, the kind of a gun a fashion designer would carry; it fires teensy darts that fly at five times the velocity of an SR-71 spy plane, and when you get done using it, you have to plug it into the cigarette lighter, because it runs on electricity.

The Deliverator never pulled that gun in anger, or in fear. He pulled it once in Gila Highlands. Some punks in Gila Highlands, a fancy Burbclave, wanted themselves a delivery, and they didn't want to pay for it. Thought they would impress the Deliverator with a baseball bat. The Deliverator took out his gun, centered its laser doohickey on that poised Louisville Slugger, fired it. The recoil was immense, as though the weapon had blown up in his hand. The middle third of the baseball bat turned into a column of burning sawdust accelerating in all directions like a bursting star. Punk ended up holding this bat handle with milky smoke pouring out the end. Stupid look on his face. Didn't get nothing but trouble from the Deliverator.

Since then the Deliverator has kept the gun in the glove compartment and relied, instead, on a matched set of samurai swords, which have always been his weapon of choice anyhow. The punks in Gila Highlands weren't afraid of the gun, so the Deliverator was forced to use it. But swords need no demonstrations.

The Deliverator's car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the asteroid Belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator's car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters. When the Deiverator puts the hammer down, poo poo happens. You want to talk contact patches? Your car's tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the thee asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The De liverator's erator's car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady's thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.

Why is the Deliverator so equipped? Because people rely on him. He is a role model. This is America. People do whatever the gently caress they feel like doing, you got a problem with that? Because they have a right to. And because they have guns and no one can loving stop them. As a result, this country has one of the worst economies in the world. When it gets down to it—talking trade balances here—once we've brain-drained all our technology into other countries, once things have evened out, they're making cars in Bolivia and microwave ovens in Tadzhikistan and selling them here—once our edge in natural resources has been made irrelevant by giant Hong Kong ships and dirigibles that can ship North Dakota all the way to New Zealand for a nickel—once the Invisible Hand has taken all those historical inequities and smeared them out into a broad global layer of what a Pakistani brickmaker would consider to be prosperity—you know what? There's only four things we do better than anyone else:

music
movies
microcode (software),
high-speed pizza delvery

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is that the new class?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DrakePegasus posted:

That line actually gives be hope that IB is more like a qunari-flavored Jayne than Sten 3.0.

Sten was a chill guy doing his duty and accepting the consequences of his actions.

Then he gets boiled down to his like two quirky lines where he likes cookies because the Qunari didn't have sugar.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
DA2's dialog really felt like it was trying to be overly quirky, especially compared to DA1.

The first chapter of Snow Crash is fantastic (rest of the book is too).

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't know if I'd even call Witcher combat legitimately tough. It's more that there's a right way and a wrong way to fight. The right way is to use Quen, even after the nerfs. The wrong way is to not use Quen.

After getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly by Letho at the end of the game on Dark difficulty I decided to try mixing it up, Quen was fine for regular engagements with regular enemies or earlier minibosses but let me just say that Aard is woefully underappreciated. With liberal use and knocking him backwards into a wall, I was able to kill that baldy bastard in under a minute.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CitrusFrog posted:

After getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly by Letho at the end of the game on Dark difficulty I decided to try mixing it up, Quen was fine for regular engagements with regular enemies or earlier minibosses but let me just say that Aard is woefully underappreciated. With liberal use and knocking him backwards into a wall, I was able to kill that baldy bastard in under a minute.

No no, there's no singular Button Awesome in the Witcher, ergo it's a lovely game with lovely combat.

It's like calling Hotline Miami a terrible shooter. Well, yeah of course it is, because that's not what it is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CitrusFrog posted:

After spending 20 minutes trying to kill Letho the first time I just let him walk. Plus it seemed thematically appropriate at that point. Got Triss back and just went "gently caress it. Got mine. Later assholes."

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

:black101: :swoon: :kimchi:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

After spending 20 minutes trying to kill Letho the first time I just let him walk. Plus it seemed thematically appropriate at that point. Got Triss back and just went "gently caress it. Got mine. Later assholes."

I was all "nobody kidnaps MY totty, die"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I killed Letho purely because of the lovely "die if you lose, lose if you win" fight with him earlier in the game. That is the single shittiest thing you can do in a story driven RPG.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Yeah, no, those quotes are funny and y'all are stick in the muds.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Still kind of funny that they recycled the DLC sword to give the Iron Bull for whatever reason.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

precision posted:

Still kind of funny that they recycled the DLC sword to give the Iron Bull for whatever reason.

Hawkes Key? Iron Bulls weapon is not Hawkes Key. Similar shape of the blade though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Hawkes Key? Iron Bulls weapon is not Hawkes Key. Similar shape of the blade though.

Nah, I remember some other DLC sword like the one Iron Bull has. It was some promotional item good for the early game that looked like an oversized vegetable peeler.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Geostomp posted:

Nah, I remember some other DLC sword like the one Iron Bull has. It was some promotional item good for the early game that looked like an oversized vegetable peeler.

Hey now that you mention it that does ring a bell. Can't remember the name though.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Geostomp posted:

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Hayder%27s_Razor

Possibly the ugliest thing in DA2.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Hey now that you mention it that does ring a bell. Can't remember the name though.

Hayder's Razor.

edit: dammit!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
No wonder Hawke had it, not like the bald neckbeard is ever going to need it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

dog kisser posted:

Yeah, no, those quotes are funny and y'all are stick in the muds.

if nothing else they're 100% pure unadulterated Bioware

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'll be honest: I have a soft-spot for Hayder's Razor. I can't explain why. That wood handguard thing is so silly. There's just not a weapon like it.

Maylo
Nov 5, 2010

Hardass warden confirmed

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Maylo posted:

Hardass warden confirmed

Is he wearing a do rag?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like a helmet to me. The quote's better though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is there something off about his face?

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
It's probably because the helmet has a nigh worthless noseguard that is really thin and makes his face look stupid.

Also I can't tell. Is that razor weapon meant to be an oversized club or a sword?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Maylo posted:

Hardass warden confirmed

Now that's the kind of quote I wanted. Brief, dignified, and a good representation of who the character is. I also like having an old veteran Warden on the team so we can see how they seem to outsiders after starting off as a pair of rookies in Origins.

SorcerousHam posted:

It's probably because the helmet has a nigh worthless noseguard that is really thin and makes his face look stupid.

Also I can't tell. Is that razor weapon meant to be an oversized club or a sword?

It's a sword, kind of. It's got a blade at one end, but that much mass would make it better at breaking than cutting as if it were a really long axe.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like that you can tell on Jowan in the mage origin and end up not being in trouble or getting expelled toward the end. Since it was my second playthrough, getting Jowan in trouble seemed like the right thing to do. I don't remember how they railroaded you into becoming a Warden anyway; I think you just only get dialogue choices that end with you volunteering. Not gonna replay to find out.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kajeesus posted:

I like that you can tell on Jowan in the mage origin and end up not being in trouble or getting expelled toward the end. Since it was my second playthrough, getting Jowan in trouble seemed like the right thing to do. I don't remember how they railroaded you into becoming a Warden anyway; I think you just only get dialogue choices that end with you volunteering. Not gonna replay to find out.

If I remember correctly, the Templar in charge implies that he's gonna Tranquil you just in case. So off to join the Wardens!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Litany Unheard posted:

If I remember correctly, the Templar in charge implies that he's gonna Tranquil you just in case. So off to join the Wardens!

Yeah it's really dumb, and especially makes no sense in the context of Gregoir's later characterization in the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yeah it's really dumb, and especially makes no sense in the context of Gregoir's later characterization in the game.

I just finished replaying it a couple days ago, and Greagoir only says he's going to Tranquil you if you've been pissing him off. If you're polite to him, it ends in Greagoir going "Well, what do we do with you now?" then Duncan "Still need a Grey Warden." If you're then reluctant to leave, Irving tells you "Dude, you're the protagonist. Go join the Grey Wardens" and your responses from there are two or three versions of "I'll go be a Grey Warden."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

your responses from there are two or three versions of "I'll go be a Grey Warden."

"Do you want to join the Grey Wardens?"
[Y / N]
N

[Y / N]
N

[Y / N]
Y

"Congratulations."

• Locked thread