Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The funny part is how that awful meme backfired so bad. I feel bad for the person responding and hope he never found out it was a Skyrim meme.

a7m2 has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eruonen posted:

The funny part is how that awful meme backfired so bad. I feel bad for the person responding and hope he never found out it was a Skyrim meme.

this picture is less funny when the related story is the fans are giving ejaculate handshakes at events. they stopped doing handshake events since the recent saw attack on the girls.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

this picture is less funny when the related story is the fans are giving ejaculate handshakes at events. they stopped doing handshake events since the recent saw attack on the girls.

what the gently caress

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Fauxtool posted:

Your avatar suggests you know what you are talking about.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eruonen posted:

what the gently caress

Some CDs comes with a ticket to the handshake event or a popularity poll. Some people buy as many 4000 CDs to get several minutes of time with the girls or skew the polls to boost their favorite girl.
I talked to a lot of people in Japan and nobody listened to them, yet they are always way up on the music charts.

The whole thing is terrible for all people involved

Here is a fan shouting how much he loves her

“CDs come with one handshaking event coupon and you need several to get an actual ticket, so many fans will buy a great many CDs in order to get this. Once they have it they just throw the CD away or sell them off at dirt cheap prices. I doubt many of these fans buy them to actually listen to the music.”

“Rapidly increasing numbers of fans are actually resorting to shoplifting to get the CDs. One person even got arrested for going around at an event intimidating other fans into giving him their coupons.”

“Their discs get to number 1, they have repeated million-seller chat-topping hits. But that’s because their fans are incredibly desperate, sometimes buying 10 discs each.”

“Only the promoters get anything out of all this. Some of the latest handshaking events are being referred to as ‘touching events,’ and increasing numbers of their more reckless fans are busy groping their breasts and sticking their hands up their skirts. That’s why idols like Tomomi Itano have reputations for hating their fans and find any excuse not to attend the events.”

“Before the handshaking, they go to the toilets and onanise there, and attend the event with it on their hands. When one of the members goes to shake their hands, thinking them an ordinary fan, they get a sudden sticky sensation. Some members responded with a shocked ‘What the hell is this!?’”

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Jun 7, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

“Their discs get to number 1, they have repeated million-seller chat-topping hits. But that’s because their fans are incredibly desperate, sometimes buying 10 discs each.”

Yes, as many as 10 each!

I remember reading about this poo poo years ago, that there for example is from a dude buying 3000 copies of the same CD, and it's easy to find other examples of people buying hundreds, if not thousands for this purpose. Idol culture is scary.

(e: of course like most stuff in the media this "thing" is grossly exaggerated, but a few crazy fans actually did/do this stuff)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

Yes, as many as 10 each!

I remember reading about this poo poo years ago, that there for example is from a dude buying 3000 copies of the same CD, and it's easy to find other examples of people buying hundreds, if not thousands for this purpose. Idol culture is scary.

(e: of course like most stuff in the media this "thing" is grossly exaggerated, but a few crazy fans actually did/do this stuff)

Japanese reporters reporting on Japan are very guilty of softening news that makes Japan look bad.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That's pretty sad.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Can anyone give the rest some context? Who are those girls?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Non Serviam posted:

Can anyone give the rest some context? Who are those girls?

AKB48 a japanese pop group with rotating members. As they get old or if they have a scandal, they are "graduated" and replaced by new members decided by fan votes. There are several feeder girl groups underneath them to select from. Its the music industry taken to its logical extreme.

The music is garbage and the videos have very little dancing or actual singing, mostly just synchronized hand motions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNg3mcjhq9w

A scandal for them is being pictured with a boyfriend or being recorded saying "my fans are insane"

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 12:57 on Jun 7, 2014

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Man, Japan is so god drat hosed

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Very informative posts, thanks. I knew Japan was weird and kinda hosed up, but I didn't really know it was that bad.

I just thought the guys shaking their hands were greasy or smelly nerds and the girls were grossed out by that.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Eruonen posted:

Very informative posts, thanks. I knew Japan was weird and kinda hosed up, but I didn't really know it was that bad.

I just thought the guys shaking their hands were greasy or smelly nerds and the girls were grossed out by that.

Well, I mean, it's that in addition to the jizzhands.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cobalt impurity posted:

requesting jizzhands emote, not to be confused with jazzhands

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

Yeah but it sort of stops being funny with the jizzhands. It's still funny, but in a "haha that's so hosed up" way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eruonen posted:

Yeah but it sort of stops being funny with the jizzhands. It's still funny, but in a "haha that's so hosed up" way.

Sounds like a job for the :cumpolice:.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

i would just quote him and say "same"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just want to chime in and say that South Korea is hosed up just as much as Japan. China is getting there, too. Thank you.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

With how hosed up culturally Asia seems to be, is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Triskelli posted:

With how hosed up culturally Asia seems to be, is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

America/Europe is as hosed up as Asia but for different reasons.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triskelli posted:

I think a lot of it is the western world imposing their morals on the rest of the world. Morals we never actually had.

A lot of the countries with little to no western contact are still fine. No one ever says, "you wont believe what is happening in Mongolia"

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Jun 7, 2014

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Paladinus posted:

Just want to chime in and say that South Korea is hosed up just as much as Japan.
Isn't South Korea really really intense with their soap stars. As in they have trouble differentiating actors from characters and will publicly heckle them if their character does something bad on a show?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

WebDog posted:

Isn't South Korea really really intense with their soap stars. As in they have trouble differentiating actors from characters and will publicly heckle them if their character does something bad on a show?

That happens here in the U.S. too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WebDog posted:

So naive. More like mail letters written in period blood or sneak into their homes while they sleep to cut some hair off.

Someone make a thread :PYF terrible thing that actually happens in Asia
It will be entertaining and a honeypot

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

WebDog posted:

People from all over the world do this with actors. Try going on twitter after an unpopular season finale.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Fauxtool posted:

AKB48 a japanese pop group with rotating members. As they get old or if they have a scandal, they are "graduated" and replaced by new members decided by fan votes. There are several feeder girl groups underneath them to select from.

For gently caress's sake.

Fauxtool posted:

“Before the handshaking, they go to the toilets and onanise there, and attend the event with it on their hands. When one of the members goes to shake their hands, thinking them an ordinary fan, they get a sudden sticky sensation. Some members responded with a shocked ‘What the hell is this!?’”

Jesus loving christ Japan, sort your poo poo out you prat!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
The best part about the whole AKB48 situation is that some of the members are about 12.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

Triskelli posted:

You have to remember, this is only a tiny tiny fraction of the population in a few countries. I have yet to meet a stable, working adult in Japan that also listens to idol music like AKB48 or watches anime. They think the people that do are just as weird as we do.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Istari posted:

People from all over the world do this with actors. Try going on twitter after an unpopular season finale.

I saw an article where Anna Gunn (Skylar in Breaking Bad) was saying she saw people online wishing death on her and talking about killing her just because they hated Skylar.

People are loving crazy in every country.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

tickle monster posted:

You have to remember, this is only a tiny tiny fraction of the population in a few countries. I have yet to meet a stable, working adult in Japan that also listens to idol music like AKB48 or watches anime. They think the people that do are just as weird as we do.

People really need to understand this. I once admitted to a Japanese coworker that I watch anime for Japanese practice and he laughed in my face and only then did I know true shame. That said, if you don't watch Miyazaki's anime you are viewed as a hipster iconoclast.

Japan says "gently caress your shades of grey bullshit! Let's play fighting games!"

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure those pics were taken at an American event.

Sarchasm has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Jun 7, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tickle monster posted:

You have to remember, this is only a tiny tiny fraction of the population in a few countries.

But it's so much more fun to antagonize entire countries based on subcultures :(

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Your Computer posted:

But it's so much more fun to antagonize entire countries based on subcultures :(

I know, those Asians are all crazy and hosed up perverts. And those Africans man, they eat people and live in mud huts and poo poo, I read that on the internet too.

Anyway,

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
New south wales plates huh? Australia has some good poo poo.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Maybe that is discreet for Australia.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

tickle monster posted:

Yeah, day to day, Japan is really boring to be honest, but when things get weird they get really weird. Same thing with how Japanese people tend to be very conflict averse, but when shits ready jump off, better stand back, 'cause you'll have drunk middle-aged men using the judo throws they learned in high school gym class on a crowded train platform. Once lines start getting crossed, anything goes.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Shampoo posted:

Maybe that is discreet for Australia.

I'm guessing the obvious ones shoot dildos out of some cannon mounted on the top of the vehicle onto peoples doorsteps.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tickle monster posted:

How do the weirdos afford to buy hundreds or thousands of these CDs, then? Surely at least those must either have some sort of job, or inherited money (from relatives alive or dead).

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Just The Facts posted:

I'm guessing the obvious ones shoot dildos out of some cannon mounted on the top of the vehicle onto peoples doorsteps.

"Paperboy" was a very different NES game in Australia.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hooah posted:

How do the weirdos afford to buy hundreds or thousands of these CDs, then? Surely at least those must either have some sort of job, or inherited money (from relatives alive or dead).
The same way furries in the US have to spend thousands on fursuits; few other expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Triskelli posted:

• Locked thread