Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

ugh all the comparisons to american football are triggering me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
BSE please use your new power to rename Tom to grantland.com in honour of their outstanding World Cup reporting.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I don't have that power otherwise I'd be renaming everyone everything

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blue Screen Error posted:

Whats even the point of being a mod then. Renaming people is the one funny thing you should be able to do

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blue Screen Error posted:

Wow, what a lovely job. You get doxxed by the offsite and can't even rename people.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rename yourself Leroy Fer's unsporting goal

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Wow, what a lovely job. You get doxxed by the offsite and can't even rename people.

*produces the radium horn from his belt and gives it a hearty blow*

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Blue Star Error posted:

do you at least have the power to fix your av text

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjNqQsHGVZU

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

mynameisjohn posted:

ugh all the comparisons to american football are triggering me

they only had one good song anyways imo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

do you at least have the power to fix your av text

You say that like it's broken.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
From facebook:

quote:

I used to be overcome with indifference towards professional sports, but more and more have become actively against MOST competitive professional team sports...for it's hypermasculinity, rape culture, homophobia, drug culture (steroids), high incidence of Alzheimer's/dementia/physical injuries etc....there are so many things about it that are more negative than positive now.

quote:

Before you just blow out your you know what, maybe you better take a closer look at your beloved sport. And, looks like many of the sports on this list are practiced all around the world, not just the US. Nor do you address the health or drug issues, which also are not limited to the US.
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91stminute/2012/12/top-10-most-violent-sports-is-soccer-leading-the-way/

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Coohoolin posted:

From facebook:

Before you just blow out your you know what, maybe you better take a closer look at your beloved sport. And, looks like many of the sports on this list are practiced all around the world, not just the US. Nor do you address the health or drug issues, which also are not limited to the US.
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the9...eading-the-way/

What is this insanely stupid Ultimate Tak Ball and why have I never heard of it? Apparently it combines football, Slam Ball and TASERS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M5_Jlio08k

:stare:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I never thought I'd ever see a "sport" dumber than Kronum

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyWVia7hzGs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

They didn't even use the right American flag at the beginning of the video.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80481702/

e: gently caress you GD.

quote:

Keep your kickball talk to yourself

I don't like kickball. I don’t like people telling me I should like kickball. Go waste your breath about a waste of time somewhere else.

I don’t like people tsk-tsking me because I hate watching the mind-numbing kickball that begins Thursday. I’m under no obligation to submit to torture, and if I were, I’d choose waterboarding.

Speaking of that, it’s embarrassing that the United States does waterboarding better than kickball, but my dislike of kickball has nothing to do with the U.S. national kickball team's never winning anything. I mean, I still watch the Cubs.

I don’t care if the rest of the world likes kickball. The rest of the world can be pretty messed up at times, and obsessing over an exercise as boring as kickball is a prime example.

I don’t like people telling me that kickball is the sport of the future. I’ve been hearing that kickball will be the sport of the future in America for, I don’t know, 40 years. Waiting.

Wait. Ing.

While a majority of America has laughed with me at kickball proselytizers, the NFL has become everything that kickball Kool-Aid drinkers talked about. Football, not futbol. Never futbol. Never ever.

Some of the divas running around on the kickball field whine and flop worse than Dwyane Wade, and I can’t stand watching Wade, so why would I want to watch a more juvenile version of that?

Sometimes in the course of a game, a player commits a foul near his own goal. It must be a terrible foul because he and his teammates then have to line up in front of a kicker on the other team and publicly cover their man parts like they’re pledging a fraternity. Thank you, sir. May I have another?

And talk about stupid rules. Kickball has a special brand of omigod.

First, it’s a secret when the game ends. They have a thing called “extra time.’’ But nobody watching or playing seems to know how much “extra time’’ is remaining in extra time.

Then the game magically ends. Just like that. Over. Surprise! Geez, even Pictionary is played with a timer that everybody can see.

And when nobody can score after 90 or 100 minutes -- kill me now -- kickball decides a winner from, what, 10 yards away kicking into a 30-foot net? Something like that. Something ridiculous like that.

And we haven’t even talked about some of the fans-slash-hooligans-slash-terrorists who can make Vancouverites look like as inert and lobotomized as Cubs owners.

Kickball causes concussions and, worse, subconcussive hits. It's an epidemic. You can tell it’s an epidemic by the number of people telling you how great world kickball is.

You can enjoy your kickball. Just don’t tell me I must become a kickball lemming, too.

Big Black Dick fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 12, 2014

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Looks like somebody pays money to the chicago tribune.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What's kickball?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

jyrka posted:

What's kickball?

It's a game that kids and spergy adults play that is like baseball, but played with a rubber ball that you kick.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nice hosed up foot.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Shrapnig posted:

Nice hosed up foot.
I thought Zero Star was a United fan?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

irlZaphod posted:

I thought Zero Star was a United fan?

They're poo poo now, Arsenal won a trophy this season

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://twitter.com/giggs_boson/status/477167741338927104

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Lol there's a thing called "non-penalty goals"

E: And according to that, Brazil seem to have about 20% more of those.

iPod = GF
Dec 26, 2007

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

man I'm so buzzed for te upsurge in posts that will be in this thread for the next 4 weeks

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

man I'm so buzzed for te upsurge in posts that will be in this thread for the next 4 weeks

Posts from this forum aren't allowed.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

belgend posted:

Posts from this forum aren't allowed.

Which is a shame, but twitter has already thrown up a few good ones.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Why America Doesn’t Like Soccer And How That Can Be Changed

http://time.com/2864483/world-cup-2014-soccer-brazil-america/

quote:

Mandelbaum also offers a proposal to make the game more popular in the United States. He’d alter the rules to favor the offense, eliminating the offside rule, which forbids players from passing to teammates standing behind enemy lines. Alternatively, he’d use the number of corner kicks awarded to each team as a way to break ties, a method that would reward aggressive play. “For this to happen in the US, however, the rest of the world would have to do the same, which it won’t,” he says.

The close-mindedness of the sport’s establishment shouldn’t stand in the way of a good idea. And so, in that spirit, here’s a modest proposal: soccer should take its cue from boxing and install three field-side judges to secretly score every 15-minute interval. Goals would be like knock-outs. Points would only come into play in the case of a tie.

This is the year 2014

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

That has to be a loving parody right?

Yes lets change the entire rules of the game because Americans don't like them.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

That has to be a loving parody right?

people who'd never watched a game before yesterday were doing exactly this in the opening MDT.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Skinty McEdger posted:

Haven't you picked up that that's a running theme in theis kind of post.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

frankenfreak posted:

Haven't you picked up that that's a running theme in theis kind of post.

Well sure, but they don't normally go "you know what football needs to be more like? Boxing."

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why do the people that write these articles always think eliminating the offside rule would increase the amount of attacking play?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

peanut- posted:

Why do the people that write these articles always think eliminating the offside rule would increase the amount of attacking play?

because they've never actually watched football

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

peanut- posted:

Because Ice Hockey keeps loving around with their offside rules to promote attacking play. And obviously the two are kind of the same.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

peanut- posted:

Because basketball doesn't have any offside rule and they score like 100 points every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

vyelkin posted:

Because basketball doesn't have any offside rule and they score like 100 points every game.

They also don't have goalkeepers (probably, I don't know much about basketball). Maybe we're on to something here.