Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You could probably make a steam group for all the Armstrongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So many Armstrongs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TKzzNNENfo

And the astronaut suit could probably count as Neil Armstr... oh poo poo I need to roll a new character.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

So many Armstrongs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TKzzNNENfo

And the astronaut suit could probably count as Neil Armstr... oh poo poo I need to roll a new character.

And some butterfly gear so you float

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Is there a visual bug when putting resin on physical weapons that were spell buffed first? I buffed my sword with Dark Weapon and then accidentally applied Gold Pine Resin, but the DW's purple aura didn't go away. Now Im killing things with my purple, sparkling Warped Sword..

edit: Yeah, seems to only be a visual bug. The resin doesn't override the Dark Weapon buff. But, now you can make your weapon look even fancier!

burntpork fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 7, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, invading the gutter went hilariously. Those statues dont care if you're the host or the invader, they'll poison everyone!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Well, invading the gutter went hilariously. Those statues dont care if you're the host or the invader, they'll poison everyone!

This includes NPCs of all types as well, so if you are getting hounded by a certain black phantom in The Gutter you can lure her into poison traps.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Vanderdeath posted:

I really like this game but I gotta say, the set farming is sticking in my craw. I just want to Fashion Souls already but the Shadow Helmet and the Heide set keep eluding me. :(
It's just some time before the cheatengine enthusiasts figure out easy item morphing I hope, I wanna look pretty in my next playthrough. :v:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Zedd posted:

It's just some time before the cheatengine enthusiasts figure out easy item morphing I hope, I wanna look pretty in my next playthrough. :v:

Yeah it took them all of 2 days after release to have a really intuitive and easy-to-use interface, you drop an item, set the item you want to pick up in cheatengine and then pick it up and you'll have it. Or you could live-edit them but that's slightly trickier.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tallgeese posted:

What are you pointing out exactly?

That phantom was stuck sitting on the ladder. The host was on the other side of the fence, by the entrance, just sitting.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

So my dark souls crashed rather unceremoniously today, when I tried to load up my character it told me this:

Nothing was gone or anything but anyone have any idea what that's about?

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Ashtarath posted:

So my dark souls crashed rather unceremoniously today, when I tried to load up my character it told me this:

It tells you that whenever you log in after an unexpected shutdown. I've never actually lost any items, though. Just ignore it.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

ninjaiguana posted:

It tells you that whenever you log in after an unexpected shutdown. I've never actually lost any items, though. Just ignore it.

Weird, I have had them before and never gotten the message. Ahh well, never mind then.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Ashtarath posted:

This only applies to the awful pre-order garbage so don't worry about it (unless you use the transgressor's shield for dark resistance).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I got that message and I still kept all the pre-order stuff afterwards, so I don't even know if it means anything at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey so does anyone know what the souls and the candles represent on the farfire page?

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/players/index.html

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Friend posted:

now i don't consider myself an expert on dark souls 2 hell i never played Dark Souls but I just one shotted demon of song what the gently caress.

How? He's an easy boss but you shouldn't be able to oneshot him. I guess maybe sunlight spear could do it.

On a related note, you should let Song Demon grab you if you haven't before. Its one of those grabs you'll never see because its so easy to avoid but is completely hilarious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I used up all my sunlight spears against him, something's wrong there. :stare:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The puddles in the Black Gulch are flammable.

Get some fire arrows and go to town.

Arrows? Man mode: get a torch and roll through the puddles, dousing yourself in oil and death. :getin:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

How? He's an easy boss but you shouldn't be able to oneshot him. I guess maybe sunlight spear could do it.

99 FTH Sunlight Spear from a +5 Lightning Dragon Chime w/ Sun Seal?? Even with that I can't imagine tearing through all of Demon of Song's HP with one hit :psyduck:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Ornstein is a tall guy in armor, Smough is a fat guy (/guy in fat armor, depending on how you read the concept art), and Gaping Dragon is a dragon with a big mouth.

Nito is pretty neato, but beat out by the Rotten who's got the same basic design, but is a lot more interesting since it's corpses (corpses that still move, compared to Nito's still skeletons)

This thread is killing me. This thread is literally loving killing me.

Yes, this. Let us cling together.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

This thread is killing me. This thread is literally loving killing me.

We get it. You have a massive boner for Dark Souls and its 3 Vanguard demon reskins.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 7, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm assuming "one shot" in the sense of it taking one attempt.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

We get it. You have a massive boner for Dark Souls and its 3 Vanguard demon reskins.

You are very stupid.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Night Blade posted:

You are very stupid.

But seriously, though, you have a thing for posting about how lovely DS2 bosses are and how DS1 was so much better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

You are very stupid.

I don't get what your deal is. It seems like 3/4 of your posts in this thread are talking about how much the bosses suck and how Dark Souls did it better for whatever reason you can come up with at the moment. Then no matter what anyone says in response, you just ignore it and parrot the same argument at a later date.

VVV He leveled up to Administrator.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 7, 2014

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is there anywhere I could still get summoned for bosses so I can get some sunlight medals in NG at around 3mil SM?

The little dragon, dragon riders, throne bros, Nashadra. I had no problem getting summoned up to like 5m SM. Granted that was closer to the games release, and it feels like there's less people playing now.

One of the things that rubs me the wrong way is that there is no boss like O&S where you get different souls depending on the order you kill them. This idea would actually fit a lot better in this game than then previous one.

None of you assholes said anything about the relation between parrying and agility, if there is one. Instead you started talking about anime wolves and fat people.

Why does cowcaster have a red star? Did he join the communist party?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Safety Scissors posted:

Why does cowcaster have a red star? Did he join the communist party?

You could say that, yes. (Forums admin)

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get what your deal is. It seems like 3/4 of your posts in this thread are talking about how much the bosses suck and how Dark Souls did it better for whatever reason you can come up with at the moment. Then no matter what anyone says in response, you just ignore it and parrot the same argument at a later date.

VVV He leveled up to Administrator.

Who are the good bosses in dark souls 2

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

jonjonaug posted:

The Large Club/Great Club/Demon's Great Hammer R2 is one of the best individual attacks in the game, yeah. It's the main reason why I prefer the Demon's Great Hammer in NG+ and up.

Having been spoiled by the Large Club R2 is why I can't stand the Pursuer UGS animation set. Having a vertical slice versus a horizontal R2 drives me insane. Course, I haven't given the Pursuer sword an honest shot as a PVP weapon yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

bef posted:

Who are the good bosses in dark souls 2

Almost all of them are at least decent. What I qualify as a bad boss is one I actively dislike fighting and avoid if possible, and the list for those is pretty small.

Freja: Just not very fun. Spiders are annoying and you just spend the whole fight running back and forth to bait out the laser.

Old Iron King: He's easy and pretty fun to fight...unless he spams his fire breath. Which he can do a lot. That one move makes this boss really annoying.

Prowling Magus: Ha ha ha :geno:

Ancient Dragon: lovely, lovely gimmick fight. Probably the worst designed boss in the entire series.

Nashandra: Pretty bad to list the final boss here, but Nashandra is just way too boring and easy for a final fight. At the same time the curse poo poo is irritating.

So that's 5 bad bosses. The rest vary in terms of quality and challenge but I usually enjoy fighting them, so I'd say they are fine. Dark Souls has less bosses overall but just as many bad ones, so I don't think its any better in this regard. Still, bosses I personally find to be really fun in DS2 are Ruin Sentinels, Smelter Demon, Darklurker, and Rotten.

EDIT: Actually I guess you can count Guardian Dragon as a bad boss, he's just so bland I forgot he existed.

VVV Its not really the hard way when its the easiest and safest way to beat her.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 7, 2014

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Internet Kraken posted:

Freja: Just not very fun. Spiders are annoying and you just spend the whole fight running back and forth to bait out the laser.

This is absolutely not how I do this fight, even as melee solo. You must like doing things the hard way. :haw:

e: Really beside the point, though. I'm not that crazy about Freja, either. The fight's honestly a bit too straightforward. I think they could actually have stood to up the spawn rate of the spiders a fair bit. They're the only part of the fight you have to pay real attention to. As DS bosses go, it's very much on the easy side. Once you get in Freja's face, it's another boss like Iron King where all its attacks are extremely telegraphed. It'd also help if the boss had more ranged options than that beam.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 7, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Pursuer I feel is actually one of the better bosses in the game. He looks cool, he gets airdropped into the fight by a freaking eagle, and he's highly mobile so there's a lot going on in the fight. His curse stab move has a bullshit hitbox, but otherwise it's a neat move.

Mytha is pretty neat in that it's a boss that interacts with something outside the room she's in, although it would be better if the poison draining "puzzle" wasn't so stupidly obtuse.

I actually kind of liked Royal Rat Vanguard. I don't know what it is, maybe just the constant threat of petrification making it feel like a high-stakes battle, I don't know.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Safety Scissors posted:

no boss like O&S where you get different souls depending on the order you kill them. This idea would actually fit a lot better in this game than then previous one.

None of you assholes said anything about the relation between parrying and agility, if there is one. Instead you started talking about anime wolves and fat people.

Well to be serious, agility has nothing to do with parrying at all. Agility is mostly tied to how fast you can drink your estus (before you guys go crazy, not to much of a difference. I forgot where the stat goes but the most you can improve is from 3.0 seconds to 2.0 seconds max) and how much invincibility frames you get. One of the ways I test the i frames is actually against OIK. When he does his fire laser, you can roll through his arm. However, if you have a low agility stat, it will instead hurt you, when around AG 20 to 25 you will roll through and not get hurt.

Also apparently increases your speed to raise your shield up faster but I really haven't noticed it considering I mostly parry and roll.

Parrying is mostly tied to what weapon/shield you use. Schimtars USED to be best weapons to parry with (I haven't tested that patch but the fact some goons here said that it's more harder to parry with) and small shields.

It does help that the item description will tell you hey this is a good shield to use for parrying.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 7, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Toadsmash posted:

I'm not that crazy about Freja, either. The fight's honestly a bit too straightforward. I think they could actually have stood to up the spawn rate of the spiders a fair bit. They're the only part of the fight you have to pay real attention to.

The problem with this whole conversation is that you guys want it to be exactly catered to your level of play. I've personally struggled with Freja on all my 6 characters so far (of different builds), and upping the spawnrate of the spiders would probably stop the game for me right there.

As someone who isn't mad crazy best at vidyagames, I found the difficulty (of BOTH games) to be very entertaining without being frustrating to the point of wanting to quit.

e: That said the most fun fight I've had with a DS bossfight is Artorias. but I feel the Pursuer is a fun dialed-back version (that I now, after way too many deaths am able to beat barehanded!)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 7, 2014

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Internet Kraken posted:

Almost all of them are at least decent. What I qualify as a bad boss is one I actively dislike fighting and avoid if possible, and the list for those is pretty small.

Old Iron King: He's easy and pretty fun to fight...unless he spams his fire breath. Which he can do a lot. That one move makes this boss really annoying.

Prowling Magus: Ha ha ha :geno:

Ancient Dragon: lovely, lovely gimmick fight. Probably the worst designed boss in the entire series.

Nashandra: Pretty bad to list the final boss here, but Nashandra is just way too boring and easy for a final fight. At the same time the curse poo poo is irritating.

So that's 5 bad bosses. The rest vary in terms of quality and challenge but I usually enjoy fighting them, so I'd say they are fine. Dark Souls has less bosses overall but just as many bad ones, so I don't think its any better in this regard. Still, bosses I personally find to be really fun in DS2 are Ruin Sentinels, Smelter Demon, Darklurker, and Rotten.

EDIT: Actually I guess you can count Guardian Dragon as a bad boss, he's just so bland I forgot he existed.

VVV Its not really the hard way when its the easiest and safest way to beat her.

Freja's not all that bad. A bit gimicky, but not too bad. Prowling Magus is clearly a mob that wandered into the boss list by mistake. OIK is bullshit in a really stupid way. The rest of the bosses aren't too bad. Skeleton Lords is on the edge for bad due to being too easy - it's not quite Prowling Magus levels of suck, but it's close. It gets a pass for the Lords looking badass and the arena being cool.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Your Computer posted:

e: That said the most fun fight I've had with a DS bossfight is Artorias. but I feel the Pursuer is a fun dialed-back version (that I now, after way too many deaths am able to beat barehanded!)

Well Artorias was end game and Pursuer is early game.

ninjaiguana posted:

Freja's not all that bad. A bit gimicky, but not too bad. Prowling Magus is clearly a mob that wandered into the boss list by mistake. OIK is bullshit in a really stupid way. The rest of the bosses aren't too bad. Skeleton Lords is on the edge for bad due to being too easy - it's not quite Prowling Magus levels of suck, but it's close. It gets a pass for the Lords looking badass and the arena being cool.

Skeleton Lords is a great fight if you murder the lords as fast as you can and then try to survive the flood of summoned skeletons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ninjaiguana posted:

Prowling Magus is clearly a mob that wandered into the boss list by mistake.
Yeah, Prowling Magus is a perfectly acceptable fight, it's just not really worth calling a boss.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think Freja is hard at all, the fight just isn't fun no matter how I do it. I don't think making more spiders spawn would improve it. The spiders are just a speedbump that occasionally chops off your knees.

Skeleton Lords is pretty easy but I still love that fight just because its fun. The music is fantastic and smashing through an army of skeletons is pretty satisfying. I think next time I might kill all 3 Lords first just to see how hard it is to beat the entire bone horde in one big fight.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Pursuer I feel is actually one of the better bosses in the game. He looks cool, he gets airdropped into the fight by a freaking eagle, and he's highly mobile so there's a lot going on in the fight. His curse stab move has a bullshit hitbox, but otherwise it's a neat move.

Mytha is pretty neat in that it's a boss that interacts with something outside the room she's in, although it would be better if the poison draining "puzzle" wasn't so stupidly obtuse.

I actually kind of liked Royal Rat Vanguard. I don't know what it is, maybe just the constant threat of petrification making it feel like a high-stakes battle, I don't know.

I like those bosses too. Rat Vanguard is pretty great just because of the initial reaction to it. "Okay there are some rats where is the boss...huh there's some more rats...OH MY GOD WHY ARE THERE SO MANY loving RATS AAAAAAA :stonk:"

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I died more times against Magus than against Smelter Demon. He's a fine boss. :colbert:

One of my favorite "oh poo poo" boss moments is probably Mytha. I killed her as a phantom and didn't think much of her, then when I went through the fog door on my world suddenly there's poison everywhere.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

kazil posted:

Like the base damage? Are you including the stat scaling damage?

I'm not really sure how damage works. On the stat screen raw +9 says it deals something like 267 damage, while the normal +9 deals somewhere around 220. I have 40 dex and something like 37 strength.