Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This game looks amazing on my new tv

There's freakin rain drops collecting on the brim of his hat, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How the gently caress do you evade police? I can't run from them, hiding in the car just lets them catch me, the context hacking sucks; what am I supposed to do?

Get to the nearest train and force it to ride until the police has left you alone. That's how I got rid of the police in the last few story missions where they're *really* aggressive.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Just finished the campaign and man the story is a real letdown. The game had so many potential great ways to go with regard to its plot too.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just in quest 7 of 9 in act 1, but do these characters get any better? Do they undergo development? Or are they locked into their default positions? Because this game is a who's who of who cares so far.

Aiden is a mopey douche, his sister is a giant bitch, his nephew is an indecisive mute (he wanted Aiden to be there! But oh no he suddenly won't talk), Clara has the worst voice acting, Jordi is the character I most want to shoot in the dick... I think the only person that isn't a giant twat is that Lucky dude, and he's off his rocker!

Can we stop having gravelly-voiced protagonists, please? Of all the things wrong with Bale's Batman, making that voice popular is probably the worst. I think part of it's just that Aiden's VA sounds so bored. Noam Chomsky over there was clearly in it for the paycheck. Ubisoft called him at 5AM and asked if he'd read his lines over the phone or something.

And because you know WD2 is in the works, I hope Gang Hideouts are more prominent. Those quests and the ctOS Control Centers are the only good missions I've encountered so far. They play to the game's strengths - using hacking and doodads to sneak around (or using a silenced pistol to slowly get to your target) and are fun as hell. I have a feeling once I'm done with the Hideouts, it'll just be crappy shootouts and escaping the cops.

Escaping the cops, by the by, pitifully easy if you're even remotely close to water. There aren't any boat-cops. I got the 'escape a level 5 wanted level' achievement just by swimming down a river. :effort:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The most annoying thing about escaping cops is the helicopter that hovers right above you. And with Aiden's inability to look straight up you can't hack it unless you've got some distance between you and it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

I'm just in quest 7 of 9 in act 1, but do these characters get any better? Do they undergo development? Or are they locked into their default positions? Because this game is a who's who of who cares so far.

Aiden is a mopey douche, his sister is a giant bitch, his nephew is an indecisive mute (he wanted Aiden to be there! But oh no he suddenly won't talk), Clara has the worst voice acting, Jordi is the character I most want to shoot in the dick... I think the only person that isn't a giant twat is that Lucky dude, and he's off his rocker!

Can we stop having gravelly-voiced protagonists, please? Of all the things wrong with Bale's Batman, making that voice popular is probably the worst. I think part of it's just that Aiden's VA sounds so bored. Noam Chomsky over there was clearly in it for the paycheck. Ubisoft called him at 5AM and asked if he'd read his lines over the phone or something.

And because you know WD2 is in the works, I hope Gang Hideouts are more prominent. Those quests and the ctOS Control Centers are the only good missions I've encountered so far. They play to the game's strengths - using hacking and doodads to sneak around (or using a silenced pistol to slowly get to your target) and are fun as hell. I have a feeling once I'm done with the Hideouts, it'll just be crappy shootouts and escaping the cops.

Escaping the cops, by the by, pitifully easy if you're even remotely close to water. There aren't any boat-cops. I got the 'escape a level 5 wanted level' achievement just by swimming down a river. :effort:

Everyone but Aiden gets decent development/becomes likable in some way or another.

The problem with Aiden is they obviously looked at Batman as someone people liked, and decided to emulate him. The problem is nobody really likes Batman, they like his Rogue's Gallery and how they make Batman tick. Aiden doesn't have a Joker/Bane to set him off, and instead is a bad mix of Batman/a Noir Detective.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Woooow. 20 second load times on respawn in Online Races. Good job, Ubisoft.

At least the achievement is just to complete ten races and not win them. I dunno what dipshit thought this game and its terrible car handling needed this particular feature. Does anyone actually enjoy online racing in any open world game? People play it in GTAV, but it's GTAV - there's not a lot you can do in that game that won't get you penalized for having fun.

Stop doing things that aren't fun for an arbitrary medal, dipshit

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Everyone but Aiden gets decent development/becomes likable in some way or another.

The problem with Aiden is they obviously looked at Batman as someone people liked, and decided to emulate him. The problem is nobody really likes Batman, they like his Rogue's Gallery and how they make Batman tick. Aiden doesn't have a Joker/Bane to set him off, and instead is a bad mix of Batman/a Noir Detective.

This is totally true if you've never read any good Batman stories.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

chibisoma posted:

[...]Gang Hideouts [...] and the ctOS Control Centers are the only good missions I've encountered so far. They play to the game's strengths - using hacking and doodads to sneak around (or using a silenced pistol to slowly get to your target) and are fun as hell. I have a feeling once I'm done with the Hideouts, it'll just be crappy shootouts and escaping the cops.

I'm still in ACT I of the campaign because I've been enjoying these too much as well. I'm afraid that once I complete the next one, all I have left is the lousy story.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The thing with batman is that he is not a difficult character. He is far from it. :nolan: did a good job with setting him aparat from everything else, but only becuase literally everything around batman is batshit insane.

So Aiden. They thought "Yeah that is cool as well." but then couldn't make the world crazy enough. You see it in BadBoy's design. And the whole "They system knows everything" is an old schtick as well.

So yeah, they hosed up.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Aiden can be the main character but make the player be Jordi doing all the awesome gunman and odd-jobs because Aiden is a lazy goon sitting in his base.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Croccers posted:

Aiden can be the main character but make the player be Jordi doing all the awesome gunman and odd-jobs because Aiden is a lazy goon sitting in his base.

Or go gently caress it and make Badboy the main character. No shooting, only hacking, etc.

I mean, you can effectively take out many persons with it. Why even use a gun.

She is more of an character than aiden. I have not finsihed the game yet but she clearly wants into Aiden's pants, right?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

leidend posted:

This game looks amazing on my new tv

There's freakin rain drops collecting on the brim of his hat, man
I'd like a mod that would make it rain and be at night all the time because the game seriously looks like ten times better when either of those things are happening.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How the gently caress do you evade police? I can't run from them, hiding in the car just lets them catch me, the context hacking sucks; what am I supposed to do?

Literally just get in any car and drive in any direction.

Raise bridges as you go over them, but don't hack anything else until it starts beeping and flashing because that means you're definitely going to stop someone with it. Most cars can outrun a helicopter, or you can duck under the train tracks/underground tunnels.

Stopping and hiding doesn't work at all until they've lost you and you're in the stealth phase, but at that point it's much easier to drive out of the search radius anyway. I've never hidden since the introductory mission where you have to do it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Michaellaneous posted:

Or go gently caress it and make Badboy the main character. No shooting, only hacking, etc.

I mean, you can effectively take out many persons with it. Why even use a gun.

She is more of an character than aiden. I have not finsihed the game yet but she clearly wants into Aiden's pants, right?

Try again

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rookersh posted:

Just one is Asian and kills his exgirlfriend by locking her in a trunk

What?
You weren't supposed to take her new boyfriend instead for a run at the pier in the car trunk?
:ohdear:

leidend posted:

For anyone curious, the exclusive PS4 content is actually pretty good. Just extra missions for DedSec but they were fun and a bit different. Usually Ubi's PS exclusive stuff is not even worth trying.

I liked they used a building that wasn't used before for the last mission, even if it was still in an open space.
I'd like to see more missions to like that, using non-previously used locales of the game that you can otherwise miss.

PootieTang posted:

I believe 'next gen' is that brief time when consoles temporarily catch up to the average gaming PC.

Unfortunately I haven't seen watch dogs crashing on my PS4 or making Aiden disappear in the floor. :shepicide:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

limaCAT posted:

Unfortunately I haven't seen watch dogs crashing on my PS4 or making Aiden disappear in the floor. :shepicide:
I haven't seen any of that and I've been playing on PC since launch :shrug:
At most I've had a car sunken into the ground and a body rotating on the ground (But uPlay sucks at screenshots and even if you mash the button it only takes one every like, 1 second).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B_ePAT-E2s

Incomprehensible brogue aside I love his gag of "I can't even get fockin' Snapshot to work on this thing!" *clicks phone, makes skyscraper explode behind him*

"It takes place in a fictional city called Chicago, which, like every other fictional city, is just a pastiche of Glasgow."

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 7, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Speedball posted:

Incomprehensible brogue aside I love his gag of "I can't even get fockin' Snapshot to work on this thing!" *clicks phone, makes skyscraper explode behind him*

"It takes place in a fictional city called Chicago, which, like every other fictional city, is just a pastiche of Glasgow."

Jesus Christ that brogue, it's like Rab Florence reincarnated and grew a beard.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Speedball posted:

I think I found my new favourite reviewer :allears:.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This Prison Break mission seems like a load of poo poo. I can't take three steps outside my room without getting detected.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Speedball posted:

Man, I thought I was getting decent at understanding Scottish brogues after watching Limmy's Show but this dude's accent is magical to my American ears. :allears:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I finally got to play this and I've got mixed feelings. PC controls are clunky and shooting with a controller is... yeah. Basic gameplay is extremely simple yet it didn't (yet) bore me to death. Multiplayer is the most fun thing so far, hacking others or blowing invaders up is pretty rad. Driving is probably the thing I dislike most, steering seems really really sensitive for some reason. Or I'm just poo poo at it. Also I can't get stable 60 FPS with a GTX 760 on medium/high. WTF Ubisoft.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

This Prison Break mission seems like a load of poo poo. I can't take three steps outside my room without getting detected.

Hack the camera and profile guards. It's pretty easy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Hack the camera and profile guards. It's pretty easy.

No, I did all that. But, no exaggeration, any time I am in front of the bars, the people across the hall from me see me in seconds and 'catch' me. I pulled up a youtube video and he had an easy time of it. I repeated the same maneuver and immediately got caught.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Bobulus posted:

No, I did all that. But, no exaggeration, any time I am in front of the bars, the people across the hall from me see me in seconds and 'catch' me. I pulled up a youtube video and he had an easy time of it. I repeated the same maneuver and immediately got caught.

Look at the small triangle on the red dots on the map, that signals where the guard is watching.
Is it pointing towards you? Don't move. Is it pointing away? Move.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Bobulus posted:

I had to do that bit a few times too. What I did was go right and quickly enter cover against the wall of bins obscuring you so the guard on the third floor doesn't see you. Wait at the edge for the 2nd floor guard to stop near the guard room facing away from you.

You have two options here, based upon where you want to engage the guard.

A: Immediately leg it towards him when he stops and looks the other way, hugging the right wall. Twat him upside the head with your baton then hug the laundry bins. Grab the shotgun and go.

B: Wait for him to come in your direction. He'll turn towards the bars and stop about ten feet in front of you. You need to be quick here because the first floor guard seems to be able to spot you instantly instead of the second or so it takes for him to spot you otherwise. The moment the guard begins to turn towards the bars you need to break cover and knock his rear end out then get back behind that corner pillar. The first floor guard spotted me instantly here so many loving times the moment I grabbed the shotgun, no detection indicator or anything.

Either way you run the risk of first floor guard spotting you instantly with no chance of breaking line of sight. I don't know why he insta-spots you sometimes but it's a pain in the dick.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ShootaBoy posted:

I think I found my new favourite reviewer :allears:.

You pretty much want to watch everything he's in on VideoGamer and Gamewank Podcast channels. He's rad.

PS: http://youtu.be/vX_f5Jzn94Q?t=5m8s

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Speedball posted:

This review should be put in the OP. It pretty much lays out everything perfectly.

Though maybe that's pointless at this point, considering the 'SHOULD I BUY THIS GAME?' posts have died down.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I reloaded the mission and did the exact same thing I did the previous time, only this time the guards noticed me a lot slower. No idea why.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
They need to patch in the ability to give money to beggars. I always feel bad when they ask for change, and I've got literally hundreds of thousands of dollars that I can't do anything with.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

I reloaded the mission and did the exact same thing I did the previous time, only this time the guards noticed me a lot slower. No idea why.

Weird. You were sticking to cover right? Using the cover to cover movement?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Weird. You were sticking to cover right? Using the cover to cover movement?

Yep. But in the time I'd move from one cover to the other, I'd get a full triangle of 'notice'. Thinking back on it, I think I know what happened... I'd set 'walk' to a toggle, and so Aiden took just slightly longer to cross from cover to cover. You'd think moving slower would make you less likely to get caught, but oh well. Now it's done and I don't have to deal with it anymore.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

CitrusFrog posted:

Either way you run the risk of first floor guard spotting you instantly with no chance of breaking line of sight. I don't know why he insta-spots you sometimes but it's a pain in the dick.

If the guards discover a body it counts as you being detected in that mission, resulting in insta-failure. I eventually managed to do the whole thing without taking out anybody. Took a while.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Zohar posted:

I imagine this has already been discussed in the thread but the game's handling of saving really irritates me. It doesn't feel like I'm playing my own game when I load from autosave and I get dumped on the other side of the mission area in a place I haven't even seen yet. Changes to the environment are really inconsistent as well -- e.g. I restart a fixer contract and the skid marks on the road are still there, but I blow up a car during a mission, move to the next phase of the mission, die, reload from the start of that phase and the car is fine and dandy. Time of day doesn't reset either.

Yeah, this has been annoying me alot too, especially since it's seems to be easier to just run in and die once you find the mission area because it'll put you in a guaranteed safe hiding spot in the guts of the area.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I loved the Saints Row games (and Sleeping Dogs) but hated the GTA games for having too much work between bits of gameplay. Will I love this or hate this?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Took a bit of a break and tried doing the whole "kill the guy on his way to the hospital" mission non-lethally. I failed, again, and again. And caused a lot of carnage each time. I at least needed either a pipe explosion or a traffic light malfunction to get the guy out of the car. Then I had to chase him down with my stick, causing him and his gunmen to shoot everywhere as I tracked him down (Aiden is a slow sprinter). Then, if I managed to get him, I would have to evade his men, who kept sending reinforcements and drove really fast cars, all while I'm crashing into cars and city property and my pursuers are undoubtedly mowing down civilians. Yeah, how's that for "non-lethal"?

So instead, I just blew up the guy with a steam explosion (I'm not sure why every other time he got out of the car and this time he just straight up died, or I'd like to think got knocked out), then capped his men in the legs, using my sole com-blocker to prevent back-up. It was quite a scene, but at least it was localized and not over the city. And I didn't get any notification of civilian deaths, so...

I love how you can challenge yourself like that.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I loved the Saints Row games (and Sleeping Dogs) but hated the GTA games for having too much work between bits of gameplay. Will I love this or hate this?

There's none of GTA's "Ok before you can do something fun again, you need to walk this dog, tow a car, pick up groceries, and paint this shed" style of filler. Anything that might be tedious is completely optional side content that you can completely ignore.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

coyo7e posted:

Holy poo poo was watching Netflix and I ran into Watch Dogs: the Motion Picture.

I just started watching this for shits and.... They basically plagiarized the entire movie to make this game. The voice, the clothes, the creepy opening scene on an L train. Dear god it's disturbing.

And of course, the free movie on Netflix is miles better than the $60 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Are any of the QR codes gated behind story progress? Because otherwise I think I have a bug because I've done 15 but can't find the last one.

• Locked thread