Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Anyone else having an issue logging into GFWL? Not working for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was working as of about an hour and a half ago when Solaire's Fist invaded me in the Burg and pummeled my rear end to death.

I rolled up a cleric to try out faith, and got The Black Knight Sword from the one in the down stairs. I felt like I was obligated to go ahead and spec to it, so I spent levels on getting myself up to its requirements. Holy poo poo. The entire first half of the game has felt like a joke. I killed Havel in 3 backstabs and a few swipes of opportunity. I think I might spec for a STR/Faith build? Haven't quite decided yet, but I'm definitely keeping the BKS.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Can you get invaded by a NG character on NG+? I summoned Solaire before the Belfry Gargoyles fog door and went to get a drink and after a moment I heard my controller vibrating, so I returned to check what's up and apparently I've been invaded by some guy that looked like he wore the default sorcerer set and could barely make a dent in Solaire, I think I poked him with the Black Knight Greatsword a bit too hard because he expired fast :3: And he only had Soul Arrow from the looks of it...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
NG+ has literally no influence in matchmaking. The only thing that matters is character level.

Invaders only invade people higher than them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do I have to have my pyromancy glove upgraded to +10 to see Quelana? I beat Quelaag and want to use the souls I've got from that and getting there upgrading it since its just +5 and don't trust myself making it all the way back to firelink without dying :v:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Jose posted:

Do I have to have my pyromancy glove upgraded to +10 to see Quelana? I beat Quelaag and want to use the souls I've got from that and getting there upgrading it since its just +5 and don't trust myself making it all the way back to firelink without dying :v:

She can sometimes show up without having a +10 glove but I don't think any of the triggers for that are confirmed.

Eyingi can upgrade your flame if you get yourself egg-infected.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Vil posted:

That said, turn on DSFix's save backup thing, just in case you get screwed over by some hacking invader who, like, curse-egghead-dragonbodies you.

Wait, what? Last night I got invaded by a dude who dropped a +5 Lightning Claymore before he murdered me and told me not to equip it because he was trying out a curse-on-equip thing that would ruin my character. He even messaged me about half an hour later asking if it worked. I thought he was talking out of his rear end and thanked him again for saving me the slab. Sword works fine as far as I can tell. Is this actually a thing?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Eyingi can upgrade your flame if you get yourself egg-infected.
I don't think you even need that, you should just need to be in the covenant. The egg thing is needed for his unique pyromancies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

She should spawn in after you reset the world at a bonfire or die. Always has for me at any rate. You might have to leave Blighttown first though?

Bogart posted:

If you're having trouble in the Crystal Caves, do the DLC first and buy Gough's carvings. They'll smash on the invisible floors and you can I'M, SORRY... your way to Seath. :v:

Once I got across the two mandatory invisible bridges once I just ran across them the subsequent times (died to Seath twice trying to cut his tail off). Once I knew where they were it was easy, but I'm glad I didn't try and get all the loot in the area.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
If you're going for Seath's tail take note of the tip of the tail and where it begins to have crystallized blisters. Just bait his tail swiping attack and heal if necessary but as soon as it stops start swinging around that area.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Many NPC spawns do not trigger without a loading screen, and resting at a bonfire does not provide that. If you've just upgraded your pyro hand you should try quitting and reloading (or dying, that works too) to see if Quelana pops up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I am so lucky this run on the rare drops, I've got pretty much every rare drop now but the Channeler's Trident and the Black Knight Greatsword. Where was this when I was getting the trophies on PS3 a couple years ago?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whats the best way to farm a large club? Get the covetous gold serpent ring from Sen's Fortress then kill the 3 barbarians from the depths bonfire and repeat?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jose posted:

Whats the best way to farm a large club? Get the covetous gold serpent ring from Sen's Fortress then kill the 3 barbarians from the depths bonfire and repeat?

You can try farming them before hand. With just a couple of liquid humanity I find it drops fairly quickly. Start with Master Key and kill the three that are close to the Valley of Drakes entrance. Let's you get the Large Club right at the start.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finally managed to kill Super Ornstein for the first time ever and on NG+, too. I wanted to summon someone but people usually go the Super Smough way, because it's easier. I messed around with a few weapons and upgrade paths I never used before and I went with Lightning Washing Pole which proved very useful in this fight because I needed a way to sneak in a few quick pokes in between blocking the barrage of damage. As long as I kept both in roughly the same line in front of me everything was swell. Except one or two times when Ornstein decided to super-sprint around the room until he managed to stab me in the face.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

There used to be an understanding with most sunbros that when co-oping for O&S, the sunbro would take whichever boss the player was not focusing on and just keep their attention. With two players, I'd say Super Ornstein is easier because he doesn't have Super Smough's charge move that is really hard to roll out of.

V V V wrong thread, dude

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 7, 2014

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Is there an equivalent to Priscilla's scythe in this? I loved that thing as the ludicrous bleed effect would kill most things in a few hits and it was super easy to get enough resistance yourself to avoid the self inflicted bleed. The bone scythe looks like it should do it but has no actual bleed effect :-(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

Wait, what? Last night I got invaded by a dude who dropped a +5 Lightning Claymore before he murdered me and told me not to equip it because he was trying out a curse-on-equip thing that would ruin my character. He even messaged me about half an hour later asking if it worked. I thought he was talking out of his rear end and thanked him again for saving me the slab. Sword works fine as far as I can tell. Is this actually a thing?

Some people just cheat in a weapon that you're not supposed to get your hands on and it just fires a beam that instant curses you. I think you can see why that'd be annoying as hell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I should probably have upgraded my bow. Was at what I think are the last set of swinging axes in Sen's Fortress with the long thin bridge and a few in a row at the end, with the serpent mage off to one side but I'd run out of Estus and had like half health so made a mad dash and mistimed it. Might have been able to do some real damage if I'd upgraded the short bow, instead of 17.

Is it possible to run in and out to the composite bow in New Londo Ruins?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Jose posted:

I should probably have upgraded my bow. Was at what I think are the last set of swinging axes in Sen's Fortress with the long thin bridge and a few in a row at the end, with the serpent mage off to one side but I'd run out of Estus and had like half health so made a mad dash and mistimed it. Might have been able to do some real damage if I'd upgraded the short bow, instead of 17.

Is it possible to run in and out to the composite bow in New Londo Ruins?

Yeah you can run through without fighting any ghosts. The timing in a few places is a bit tricky to learn so empty out your souls before you do it.

If you can get to the bow you can get to the seal, so you might as well kill Ingward and drain the place if you're making the run. Then a little more running and you can grab the ember and start farming chunks. Having +15 weapons for AL is nice.

But if you put your pyro glove on your right hand a couple of fireballs should take care of that last snake guy no problem.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll give it a go. Can't be worse than running through the forest in Shaded Woods in DS2 trying to open both chests while ignoring the enemies I couldn't attack and barely see

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

speaking of bows, what's a good ranged weapon for a dex user as a sidearm - to weaken the enemy before engaging, not as a focus build? Crossbow, small bow, longbow, ... ?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

double nine posted:

speaking of bows, what's a good ranged weapon for a dex user as a sidearm - to weaken the enemy before engaging, not as a focus build? Crossbow, small bow, longbow, ... ?

My bow of preference is the Black Bow of Pharis because of the range, which sounds like what you want, getting a couple hits in from far away before engaging. You can also equip the Hawk Ring to help out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

People actually use bows as their main weapon in DS games? :v:

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Jose posted:

I'm doing a bows only run in DS2 right now... It's pretty fun.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jose posted:

I'll give it a go. Can't be worse than running through the forest in Shaded Woods in DS2 trying to open both chests while ignoring the enemies I couldn't attack and barely see

You can see and attack them, you just cannot lock onto them.
The ring of whispers or some bullshit let's you do that however, iirc.

Jose posted:

Maybe only ironically. For runs they are fun, and I can see greatbows being usefull at times, but as a unironic main weapon?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

double nine posted:

Longbow. You can find one in Darkroot Basin. From the Parish, kill the first treedude and look to your right for a path that leads up. Follow the winding path down and look for an item on a ledge you have to drop down.

I thought Pharis' bow required a lot of points into Dex to be effective? An upgraded longbow can wreck a lot of trash mobs.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

Maybe only ironically. For runs they are fun, and I can see greatbows being usefull at times, but as a unironic main weapon?

It's really viable in both Dark Souls games, actually.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

It's really viable in both Dark Souls games, actually.

Eh, I guess yeah, thinking about it a bit more. I guess you can just keep your sweet distance to everything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If you can get to the bow you can get to the seal, so you might as well kill Ingward and drain the place if you're making the run. Then a little more running and you can grab the ember and start farming chunks. Having +15 weapons for AL is nice.

Having a look, will I not regret killing Ingward if I make a run since I can't buy transient curses? Also I intend on going with the lightning upgrade for my weapon, do I still need the New Londo Ruins ember to do this?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
What's the highest damage you can get on a decent maxed bow with good arrows you can buy in unlimited quantities? A few people in DS2 i played coop with did like 400 damage per shot, that's basically a really fast magic spell that you can stock a solid thousand of.

I mean, might not work as well if you are alone and are getting jumped by really aggressive enemies, but it's certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jose posted:

Having a look, will I not regret killing Ingward if I make a run since I can't buy transient curses? Also I intend on going with the lightning upgrade for my weapon, do I still need the New Londo Ruins ember to do this?

You do not need more than one transient curse for new londo waterpark.
Two if you are slow.

And you can get two right at the start, in addition to a few others during the level, and them being a common drop. So really...don't worry.

e:

You need the large ember to upgrade lightning, which is by the butcher at the start of the depths.

I take everything back. You can just upgrade it with the blacksmith in AL. It has been a long time since I played DaS1.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 7, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Jose posted:

You could always run to Ingward, buy as many curses as you think you'll ever need, buy his sorcery spell if for some reason it interests you, then kill him. It's not like he defaults to be aggressive if you have the nerve to be in his presence without the Lordvessel.

You can't permanently screw yourself over even if you don't. For one thing, the freebie curses should be plenty, and that's not counting any that drop from ghosts as you go (which can also be deliberately farmed).

Even worst-case if you run out of transient curses and then want to kill ghosts, you could either a. get a weapon that can hurt ghosts regardless and/or b. get yourself genuinely cursed (which works just as well for dealing with ghosts as a transient curse, minus the time limit and plus the disadvantages of a real curse), then go farm ghosts long enough to get a few transient curses.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well I'm largely thinking from the view that I only use my bow to usually get things to come running at me especially as I've cleared blighttown and I don't know if I need the ember to make the Zweihander lightning + whatever. I've got 2 titanite chunks already

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

To make a lightning weapon, you only need large ember (to get it to +10) and access to the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo. Very large ember is only needed for normal upgrade path, +11 to +15.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Michaellaneous posted:

You do not need more than one transient curse for new londo waterpark.
Two if you are slow.

And you can get two right at the start, in addition to a few others during the level, and them being a common drop. So really...don't worry.

e:

You need the large ember to upgrade lightning, which is by the butcher at the start of the depths.

I take everything back. You can just upgrade it with the blacksmith in AL. It has been a long time since I played DaS1.

No you're half right. You need to give the large ember to Andre so he can ascend the weapon to +10 and then you need to go to the giant blacksmith to ascend it to lightning.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is it GfWL thats loving up all my summons? Its especially annoying because I can be invaded perfectly easily

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jose posted:

Is it GfWL thats loving up all my summons? Its especially annoying because I can be invaded perfectly easily

GFWL is terrible for connecting to people. I imagine invasions are going through because it's constantly trying to connect you and won't stop til something sticks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not being able to use co-op loving sucks. Is there any way to improve it?

and alt tabbing back in I just attacked Solaire ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Not being able to use co-op loving sucks. Is there any way to improve it?
It's not much and doesn't help with summoning people, but if you ever want to BE summoned, you can use this (from last page).

HenryEx posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ph9hbqdrcpgebx/DSSE.zip

(It's a tool that prevents your Summon Sign from disappearing, so you can lay down a sign at the Parish and go farm moss in Darkroot or whatever. More coop chances.)

• Locked thread