Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My brother and I got back from playing two Conspiracy drafts. We both ended up in the same pod twice so of course we were plotting to place for more packs. Won twelve packs between the both of us, but gave three to a younger players with not as much disposable income in hopes that he'll come back tomorrow for more drafting. The rest we're gonna use tomorrow for ourselves and a friend who didn't get to play today.

I drafted two Deal Brokers in the second draft, used one to trade my Pernicious Deed for an Exploration (had four Deeds already and wanted the Exploration) and the second trade was my Decimate for a Grenzo, so my Goblin EDH deck now has one. My brother, on the other hand, drafted a miscut foil Brago, King Eternal. It was cut in a way that the left border is thin and the right was too thick, so we ended up proxying it for the draft. Conspiracy draft is fun, and I can't wait to build a cube. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I took a deck that someone posted here, I think, called The Landless. The original version used guildgates, but I switched them out for the appropriate shocks, and added 3 burning earth to the sideboard, for shits and giggles. This changed the deck from an almost budget version(108 dollar, roughly) to a 190 dollar deck.

Goddamn, but that deck made some long loving games. I 3-0'd the three round tournament with it, and only lost one game at all, but two of the three ran to time on game 1, and one of those I won on turn 5 by ultimating Jace, stealing his Hydra Broodmaster, monstrosity-ing it for 5, and beating him to death with it and its' 5 babies.

Second session, I said gently caress that and ran a version of mono-black control that ran a Lilliana of the dark realms and two deathrite shamans as cards 61-63 because i was running 18 swamps, 4 temples of malady, and 4 mutavaults. I never had mana problems, and even sideboarded out some mutavaults and bile blights and such on game 2s for lifebanes and duresses because I was either hitting my mana drops, or, thanks to my nightveil specters, my opponents' mana drops. Pack rats and Gary from sales won more games than desecration demon, but I think, if I run it again, I might drop bile blight and maybe two devour flesh for main board duresses and extra deathrite shamans. I was never happy to see bile blight,

I ended up with 8 prize packs between the sessions(1 entry, three packs for first), and so I chose Conspiracy packs. I ended up pulling Stifle, reflecting pool, Mirari's wake, and some rares worth up to 7 bucks each. All in all, a pretty fun night.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 7, 2014

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Entropic posted:

Does something that limited even really count as a reprint?
This is basically a GP Promo meaning it's not limited? All participants get this. Top 8 winners get playmat, maybe you misread that part.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
drafted conspiracy, went all-in on mana geyser/chartooth cougar.dec, had a loving hilarious time

(double stroke naming mana geyser is absurd)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Shavnir posted:

Obligatory complaint about location of the wmcqs goes here.

Edit : oh god the closest one is now 14 hours away.

Haha, I saw some on post "Dear Wizards, gently caress you too. - The North" because the closest one is Manchester, which I think is 3 hours from Newcastle by train, Edinburgh probably isn't much more. We get three and people in their main market still need to cross timezones.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Copying a hardcast Eternal Dominion 4 times in EDH is the wrong kind of fun. The kind of fun most holy books specifically warn against.

Edit: Also, Akroan is an anagram for Karona :tinfoil:

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 7, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Shavnir posted:

Obligatory complaint about location of the wmcqs goes here.

Edit : oh god the closest one is now 14 hours away.

2500 km. 32 hours away.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How much is it to enter the WMCQ? It doesn't say on the page.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man I'd love that promo Geist but there isn't a trial anywhere nearby :argh:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Anyone who's drafted Conspiracy so far: how often were people getting milled out? Is running a 45-50 card deck something reasonable to do or just stick to the standard 40?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

whydirt posted:

Anyone who's drafted Conspiracy so far: how often were people getting milled out? Is running a 45-50 card deck something reasonable to do or just stick to the standard 40?

I only saw one person milled out in two drafts, and he just couldn't close out the game, not through any active milling.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I milled someone out.

With repeated Barbed Shocker hits. :getin:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

whydirt posted:

I was two turns away from milling myself on my first draft.. Parlay is crazy, man. I barely won that game since two of the other players attacked my brother who had a double-striking forestwalking (both had forests) 8/10 Brago on the board, had their gambits fail, he finished the both of them off, and in an attempt to flicker off some creatures to block me as he was at one life, flickered Custodi Squire while I had two Grudge Keepers on the board.

Oh yeah, always draft Grudge Keeper. :getin:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Any goons at the SCGPROV Open? I'm working until 5pm but I plan on doing a Conspiracy draft or two once I get out, I think it'd be pretty fun to play with a goon (or goons).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

whydirt posted:

Nobody used any mill on me and I still had 1 card in my library when I finally swung for lethal on the last player in the last game (in fact, he told me after the game that his only outs were to draw his Brainstorm or Compulsive Research and aim them at me) just because the card draw is so freaking good in this set. There's not really much in the way of dedicated milling cards though so playing with more than 40 is unnecessary. You just can't durdle around forever and have to actively develop a board and kill the others if you're getting card advantage lest your own power kill you.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Best use for Cogwork Librarian is for a double money draft. Opened a pack with Deed and a foil Vedalken Orrery and couldn't decide what to take before I remembered that I still had a Librarian open. My deck was pretty sweet, too: 3 Vent Sentinels with 6 other defenders plus 4 Brimstome Volleys and a Heartless Hidetsugu. Also had 2 Compulsive Researches and a FoF to refill. The other players ignored me for most of the game because all I did was play Cinder Walls and Minamo Scrollkeepers until I started dropping Vent Sentinels (plus a 21/21 Ignition Team :v:) and killed everyone in a few turns.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My afternoon may have just opened up and if it did I might get to draft this after all. I don't draft much but how useful are the cards that let you screw around during the actual drafting process?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

whydirt posted:

I only saw it happen to people running really, really turtly blue decks. If you have one of those, feel free to play Canal Dredger and/or Reito Lanturn. Then when you mill out you get to draw whatever card you want ever turn. (don't actually do this on purpose or you will lose to an opponent's parley.)

There's also Altar of Dementia, but making a bigger library will probably not save you from that.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Don't forget that red uncommon that cycles your hand when it does damage to you. A friend milled two people out that way at my draft (to be fair, she had multiples and her deck was really synergistic).

If you're concerned about mill, make like a 45 card deck or something, and then tell the mill player you're playing over 40 cards. They'll target someone else.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

C-Euro posted:

My afternoon may have just opened up and if it did I might get to draft this after all. I don't draft much but how useful are the cards that let you screw around during the actual drafting process?

If you draft Cogwork Librarian during the first pack draft, you could potentially draft two bombs/money rares in the second or third pack. An early Deal Broker can also be useful if you draft a good bomb/rare that somebody else might be interested in.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
unfortunately, my store is refusing to sanction Conspiracy drafts because of the potential of collusion. So its pretty much buy 3 packs and draft with people for absolutely nothing on the line.

on the bright side I got a Spanish Chaos Reigns Planechase deck for MSRP from them yesterday too. anyone know how much that might be worth? thinking of ebaying it

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 7, 2014

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Mercury Crusader posted:

If you draft Cogwork Librarian during the first pack draft, you could potentially draft two bombs/money rares in the second or third pack. An early Deal Broker can also be useful if you draft a good bomb/rare that somebody else might be interested in.

Some interesting Cogwork Librarian tech that showed up in a draft last night - a buddy had two face up in front of him, and at pick #8 he got a pack with a Lurking Automaton, the guy that gets bigger based on how many cards you've drafted from the pack. He used both Librarians to artificially increase the number of cards he had drafted that pack, since the librarian specifically instructs you to "draft" the additional card(s). Everyone at the table thought it was clever, and the judge agreed that the Automatons he drafted would be 10/10s instead of 8/8s.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

weird vanilla posted:

Some interesting Cogwork Librarian tech that showed up in a draft last night - a buddy had two face up in front of him, and at pick #8 he got a pack with a Lurking Automaton, the guy that gets bigger based on how many cards you've drafted from the pack. He used both Librarians to artificially increase the number of cards he had drafted that pack, since the librarian specifically instructs you to "draft" the additional card(s). Everyone at the table thought it was clever, and the judge agreed that the Automatons he drafted would be 10/10s instead of 8/8s.

saw a guy do that except he used agent of acquisitions to draft an automaton as a 15/15

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A big flaming stink posted:

unfortunately, my store is refusing to sanction Conspiracy drafts because of the potential of collusion. So its pretty much buy 3 packs and draft with people for absolutely nothing on the line.

That's dumb and they should at least be doing prize support. We're not sanctioning it as an actual tournament because it's a multiplayer format, but we're still doing prizes.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

on the bright side I got a Spanish Chaos Reigns Planechase deck for MSRP from them yesterday too. anyone know how much that might be worth? thinking of ebaying it

I seriously want this, I completely love Spanish Cards. You dont have PMs, but do you have an email address I can drop you a line at?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

unfortunately, my store is refusing to sanction Conspiracy drafts because of the potential of collusion.
Isn't that literally the point of multiplayer?

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

whydirt posted:

I got milled out in the one draft I did. The game had gone on for almost 2 hours and was basically a standoff between me and two other players. My store's prize structure was 1 pack for each player you kill so I decided to brainstorm myself when I had two cards left in my library in order to get the pack for killing myself.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Agentdark posted:

I seriously want this, I completely love Spanish Cards. You dont have PMs, but do you have an email address I can drop you a line at?

yeah drop me an email to nope at gmail

Everblight posted:

Isn't that literally the point of multiplayer?

that's what I said! specifically they didnt like collusion with money on the line

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 7, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As it turns out, trying to get Trinisphere modded into the Magic 2014 game is hard. Getting the basic functionality isn't too hard, it's all of the bugs that come with it.

On the flipside, playing with legacy decks in it is a lot of fun.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

unfortunately, my store is refusing to sanction Conspiracy drafts because of the potential of collusion.

Conspiracy events can't be sanctioned as FNM or somesuch. If a store organizes a Conspiracy event, all players just get 1 PWP, and it's run at Regular REL.

Quoting from the Ask A Magic Judge tumblr (which is pretty great)

quote:

Sanctioning Conspiracy Events
Conspiracy, due to its multiplayer aspect as well as the conspiracies and draft-manipulating cards, can only be sanctioned as a casual, non-rated event.
It absolutely can’t be run as an FNM.
Please spread the word.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Conspiracy events can't be sanctioned as FNM or somesuch. If a store organizes a Conspiracy event, all players just get 1 PWP, and it's run at Regular REL.

Quoting from the Ask A Magic Judge tumblr (which is pretty great)

yeah i know its not an official format, i more referred to no prize support

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Our LGS didn't have it officially sanctioned, but we did have a prize pool anyway. First place on both pods got four packs, second place two. Mostly it was an incentive to get people drafting, and also the owner was playing as well so it gave him an reason to stock up on some good singles to sell.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
What can I realistically expect to get for a Russian foil Hallowed Fountain from Dissension signed by Rob Alexander?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I was drafting and this dude was like "I had a pretty OK draft, but not really any win conditions." I told him that the guys to your left and right were your win conditions and he laughed.

I guess he thought I was joking. I went defenders and burn. Took a couple punches for people every now and again in return for some favors. Sometimes I'd ask for a favor. Repaid them with Brimestone Volleys straight to the dome.

So, basically, you gotta be a dick to win in this game and that's perfect for me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

"Oh yeah!" said Duck Faygo

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Master of subtleties.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I like to imagine that the reason he carved out a chunk of wall, rather than just cutting the bars out of the window which is clearly large enough for him to climb through on its own, is that he had to make clearance for his cape which he used too much starch on so it sticks out to one side like that all the time.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So at my last conspiracy draft I got to go Lore Seeker -> pay $12 for a new phyrexia pack -> first pick KarnLiberated

Feels good man. Also now the draft has random infect cards, wooha!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A 12 dollar Phyrexia pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER