Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man goons really hate the new rainbow road huh? Just had a race there and after it was done everyone cleared out.

Edit: Also I feel bad for you Geordi, I think you attempted the shortcut on RR with me but got zapped into the abyss, looked down at the map screen and winced.

Rainbow Road is a race track with the word doom written on it's brow. It cares not what place you're in whether first or last it will gleefully take from you everything and yet still demand more. When those trapped within it's cruel clutches cry out for items to help them win it will cruelly only offer mushrooms as a twisted irony and take glee in the anguished screams of all those who plummet off course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like Rainbow Road because I'm good at Mario Kart and never fall off and I always win except for all the times that I don't. :angel:

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 7, 2014

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

21 Hoot Salute posted:

This has gotta be one of the most gif-able games to come out recently

Online was weird as hell for me last night though, people's score kept jumping from 0 to 500 or whatever in race to race.

e: dumb question - how do I view the map on the gamepad? Mine always pops up with the race happening instead and I can't figure out how to switch it

Tap the gamepad screen.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man goons really hate the new rainbow road huh?

It's a track I'm bad at but like playing. Unlike Grumble Volcano.

Also every single time I'm on Piranha Plant Slide I think lap 2 is the end. "Another lap? Really?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pokeyman posted:

Also every single time I'm on Piranha Plant Slide I think lap 2 is the end. "Another lap? Really?"

Same, I'm terrible at Rainbow Road Remix but I like it a lot.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

pokeyman posted:

I got my first first place in Piranha Plant Slide in goon room this evening! Granted, one of the Hank Hill Miis got Blue Shelled on the second lap which allowed me to take the lead, but I managed to not gently caress up the last few laps and finally tasted victory.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Anyone know what the 'x/6 *' in the upper left corner of the screen means?

It shows up after you beat any race during cc matches.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

davey4283 posted:

Anyone know what the 'x/6 *' in the upper left corner of the screen means?

It shows up after you beat any race during cc matches.

It lets you save that race as a favorite in MKTV by pressing +. x races favorited/6.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I like both Rainbow Roads, but I'm terrible at every Rainbow Road ever and keep driving off the ledges.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

It lets you save that race as a favorite in MKTV by pressing +. x races favorited/6.

It's really convenient for capturing multiplayer replays in a long session.

BTW, goons are much more like I was expecting the online multiplayer to be. Vicious and much much better than me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a way to cycle the bonus startup screens *with sound* other than continually resetting the game?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I just tried 150cc for the first time in years, mushroom cup.

Holy poo poo I got WRECKED. I still got the gold, but it was a tie with Koopa and I didn't even get any stars. I ended up so far behind on Sweet Canyon that I was a distant 5th.

I did a lot better using the Circuit Special in the shell cup though. Maybe I should just stay away from the bikes. Clearly they're too good for me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My Mario Kart warmup ritual involves trying a cup or two against the AI at 150cc, then some regional online races, then the goonvitational.

Goonvitational owns. Of all the skills collectively mastered in that group, they seem to always place bob-ombs in just the right spot to do the most damage.

Timall
Dec 20, 2008
The goon room tonight (the one with nem-x having the most points) was loving insane. Loved it, except for my constant disconnections.

Sorry about the Blue Shell / Piranha Plant combo on Royal Raceway Hank Hill

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Here is a sweet banana throw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmLwn2CNCPc&t=15s

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Timall posted:

The goon room tonight (the one with nem-x having the most points) was loving insane. Loved it, except for my constant disconnections.

Sorry about the Blue Shell / Piranha Plant combo on Royal Raceway Hank Hill

I had a few Goonvitational races tonight that had Hank Hill, Dale Gribble, AND Bill Dautrive. Made sure to favorite that replay...

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Somebody just got 3.5 million YT views uploading luigideathstare.avi, and apparently it showed up on FOX news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpxDuNFBVj8

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I love Luigi Death Stare. :allears:

Spent all night playing with the b/f, both of us love it. Got through all of the cups on 100cc. 150cc is hard as gently caress, it's going to be awhile before we're good enough to finish those. Thus far he is slightly better than me in spite of only having played Super Mario Kart way back. :mad:

We are both way better with the inside drift bike. I'm not sure how to go back to outside drift now. Guess I'd better get used to only getting to pick from four bikes ever. :(

How are you supposed to tell which weight class each character is in? I just had to look it up online. Not sure where they go their numbers but they seem to make sense in-game.

I'm slightly sad that they got rid of the fake item box. Putting that thing in dickish places in MK 64 was a hoot.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
This game is so loving good holy poo poo. I thought I would never enjoy another mario kart game after the DS one because they all felt derivative and lovely, but this one is So Good. Definitely a killer app by any measure, forget smash bros.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HondaCivet posted:

I'm slightly sad that they got rid of the fake item box. Putting that thing in dickish places in MK 64 was a hoot.

I'm not. That thing was a shittier version of the banana because it couldn't even protect you from incoming shells. :colbert:

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

does the game have rag doll physics?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BobFossil posted:

does the game have rag doll physics?
No, Waluigi just flails around like that when he gets hit. It's a canned animation.

There are a couple of things t hat do seem to have actual physics though, like the traffic cones in Mario Stadium.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Banana skillshot :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6-eJTwd29Q

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Khagan posted:

Somebody just got 3.5 million YT views uploading luigideathstare.avi, and apparently it showed up on FOX news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpxDuNFBVj8

Pretty sure the original uploader is a goon, too. I remember seeing it in this thread before it had the Chamillionaire song added.

That sounded hipster as poo poo. "Yeah well I saw the Luigi death stare back before it was popular..."

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
You guys have totally sold me on getting this game with all the enthusiasm in this thread! Plus getting WWHD for free is a bonus. Time to dust off the old Wu, downloading it as we speak.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So last night on Sherbert Land, my brother dodged not one but two blue shells. The thing is, he didn't do a loving thing to avoid them. They just didn't hit him, as if they vanished into the ether at some point in their pursuit. He was in 1st the whole time, so its not like they hit someone else that he got ahead of. He only got the warning for one of them as well, though I'm sure I saw two headed his way during the match.

Anyone else see something like this happen?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Electrodrome might be my favourite track just because or the screens showing the toads and koopas raving around.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Internet Kraken posted:

So last night on Sherbert Land, my brother dodged not one but two blue shells. The thing is, he didn't do a loving thing to avoid them. They just didn't hit him, as if they vanished into the ether at some point in their pursuit. He was in 1st the whole time, so its not like they hit someone else that he got ahead of. He only got the warning for one of them as well, though I'm sure I saw two headed his way during the match.

I wonder if it's at all related to the issues where people see themselves finishing the race before others and the end-rankings displaying a different order. Could be the same issue: Your brother might not have actually been in first according to the game, but it looked like you were so the blue shells were actually hitting someone else? Just a theory.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I keep seeing people talking about inside or outside drifting karts/bikes . What does that mean exactly and how can you tell which is which?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I keep seeing people talking about inside or outside drifting karts/bikes . What does that mean exactly and how can you tell which is which?
This video should help make sense of things :mario:

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008

DarthBlingBling posted:

Buy it and register the game on Club Nintendo before the end of the month and get a free Wii U game. Depends on where you're from however; seems we in the EU get the best deal!

Just to clarify, it's by the end of July... which is good for those of us who already went Platinum on Club Nintendo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I know people didn't like the wheel style control in Mario Kart Wii but I wound it reasonably playable. It seems so much worse in Mario Kart 8, though. I tilt right and the car swerves to the left. I straighten out and the car turns. Maybe it's better with the Wiimote rather than the pad, but it's amazingly bad...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Random Stranger posted:

I know people didn't like the wheel style control in Mario Kart Wii but I wound it reasonably playable. It seems so much worse in Mario Kart 8, though. I tilt right and the car swerves to the left. I straighten out and the car turns. Maybe it's better with the Wiimote rather than the pad, but it's amazingly bad...

I've been playing with the wiimote during some multiplier sessions and it works fine. I was actually surprised at how well it works considering I didn't play a ton of mkwii.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Didn't the Mario kart games used to show lap times? Why would they get rid of that?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Why is everyone using metal peach online?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Internet Kraken posted:

I've had a few races (all single player Grand Prix) where I was in first the whole time and a blue shell just blows right by me down the middle of the track, never to be seen again. One race it happened twice. I should save a replay and make doubly sure I'm not just seeing things, it's very strange.

If you were playing online then it was probably just the magic of online play.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
This game is only slightly less frustrating than Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. I love it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Dugong posted:

Because she's peachy.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dugong posted:

Because she's a heavyweight without some of the drawbacks (mostly size) of heavyweights. In particular, size kinda matters now because you can still be hit from behind if they find an angle to shoot you that goes left/right of your dragged item, making large characters in wide vehicles (Badwagon and Standard ATV come to mind) a bit of a liability defensively. A heavyweight with a middleweight frame is just raw advantage. Also, she's new and Metal Mario was probably the best character in Mario Kart 7 so people see her as a potential analog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I finally got 3 stars on 150CC. I am really good at Mario Kart, but the AI does stuff that human players probably cannot.

For example, I raced basically flawlessly, did drifting, stayed on course, etc... But, the enemy just has to hit me once with something I can't avoid like a blue shell and then they are passing me.

On the last race, man did I get lucky, the blue shell blew me up right before a speed ramp so I was able to get moving quickly again in a hurry.

And of course, if that ramp hadn't been there Toad would have overtaken me (he was right behind me).

So, AI is really vicious this time around. But, it can be overcome.

Also, when I'm in 2nd or 3rd and racing for my life giving me COINS when I'm maxed out on coins doesn't help me much. Give me a green shell or something!!

• Locked thread