Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Spectacle Rock posted:

I finally got 3 stars on 150CC. I am really good at Mario Kart, but the AI does stuff that human players probably cannot.

For example, I raced basically flawlessly, did drifting, stayed on course, etc... But, the enemy just has to hit me once with something I can't avoid like a blue shell and then they are passing me.
shell or something!!
I can assure you after playing a bunch in goon room that this is not exclusive to the CPUs. Also joining the others that have said that I wish there was some more stuff to hit a player in first place with. It feels that after one lap or so a lot of races end up just being a race for second unless someone gets a blue shell. It's kind of hard for a person in second or third to overtake someone in first because they have to decide on whether they want to use items for offense or defense when the first place person can just use a green shell or banana defensively all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope everyone mentions how bad battle mode is on the club Nintendo post play surveys.

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm not. That thing was a shittier version of the banana because it couldn't even protect you from incoming shells. :colbert:

It was very easy to protect yourself from shells with fake item boxes, you drop them right before the shell hits you.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 7, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Internet Kraken posted:

So last night on Sherbert Land, my brother dodged not one but two blue shells. The thing is, he didn't do a loving thing to avoid them. They just didn't hit him, as if they vanished into the ether at some point in their pursuit. He was in 1st the whole time, so its not like they hit someone else that he got ahead of. He only got the warning for one of them as well, though I'm sure I saw two headed his way during the match.

Anyone else see something like this happen?

The blue shell's gone back to travelling along the ground hitting other people in its way, so it's possible someone else might have used a horn or something to save themselves from it?

Actually now I'm wondering if having a trailing item or a star protects people who aren't in first place from the blue shell, and if that works does it destroy the shell?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Spacebump posted:

It was very easy to protect yourself from shells with fake item boxes, you drop them right before the shell hits you.

Some games that worked, others it didn't.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Suaimhneas posted:

The blue shell's gone back to travelling along the ground hitting other people in its way, so it's possible someone else might have used a horn or something to save themselves from it?

Actually now I'm wondering if having a trailing item or a star protects people who aren't in first place from the blue shell, and if that works does it destroy the shell?

It might also be that the multiple stories on Sherbet land are making the shells have a fit.

Mr. Locke posted:

Because she's a heavyweight without some of the drawbacks (mostly size) of heavyweights. In particular, size kinda matters now because you can still be hit from behind if they find an angle to shoot you that goes left/right of your dragged item, making large characters in wide vehicles (Badwagon and Standard ATV come to mind) a bit of a liability defensively. A heavyweight with a middleweight frame is just raw advantage. Also, she's new and Metal Mario was probably the best character in Mario Kart 7 so people see her as a potential analog.

It's interesting, by almost any of the weightings I placed on my spreadsheet, Metal Mario and Peach are just all around worse than the other characters. Because going from Kongweight to them is a trade between 2 points of extra weight for a point of acceleration, traction and miniturbo and going from Bowserweight to them is a trade of 2 points less speed for 2 points of handling. I can't ever see myself making a trade either way.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

PantsBandit posted:

Didn't the Mario kart games used to show lap times? Why would they get rid of that?

They did. Speedometers too. The omission in MK8 is quite annoying.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Spacebump posted:

Not in MKDS or Wii. :colbert: I'm doubtful that worked in Double Dash either.

revolverjgw
Aug 12, 2009

Taff it all

KingEup posted:

They did. Speedometers too. The omission in MK8 is quite annoying.

The game is so barebones, it's so odd to leave out features like that. I would love to have stats for my most used weapons, KM driven, races won, f-bombs screamed, average race times, things like that. But there's nothing. I don't think you're even allowed to look the coins you've collected, it'll just surprise you when you have enough.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think they wanted to scale down the HUD so you can see more of the super pretty courses but I guess they could've put that stuff on the gamepad screen at least

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, for all its awesome-ness, Mario Kart 8 is missing a large handful of quality-of-life features that really bug me...No lap times (Or even overall race time) on the race results screen, no in-game options menu, no in-game stats, no speedometer, no way to put the mini-map/CPU places on screen...little stuff like that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is a speedometer really useful at all in Mario Kart? The other stuff I agree with, and I know a speedometer has been in every previous game, but I don't think they ever had any utility except to clutter.

Not sure what you mean by in game options or stats. You can see the stats when you select your kart by pressing +. For options you mean the options menu during a race? Yeah that would be nice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

Is a speedometer really useful at all in Mario Kart? The other stuff I agree with, and I know a speedometer has been in every previous game, but I don't think they ever had any utility except to clutter.

Not sure what you mean by in game options or stats. You can see the stats when you select your kart by pressing +. For options you mean the options menu during a race? Yeah that would be nice.

Stats in terms of vanity stuff like a single-page listing of all your best times per track, plus random stuff like "most used items", "Most used parts", "Total miles driven" etc.

For an options menu, specifcally I'd really like to be able to turn down game sounds a hair and leave the music a bit louder. I'd also like to be able to set a "default" for the GamePad screen, rather than having the Horn button be the 'main' screen, and possibly stuff like brightness options and the like.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Many players have often asked if it is possible or not to unlock General Leo Christophe in Mario Kart 8. Many theories have been suggested, the most common one involving the Shy Guy Falls. After winning a certain amount of races there, a Gold Bowser will appear that is much faster than the one you normally race. Defeating it would earn a "Leo Stamp." Using this on the Mario Kart 8 Miiverse community would, according to the rumor, unlock him as a racer.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'd like am options menu so I could permanently switch Wiimote controls to not be motion controls. It's annoying having to pause for my friends at the beginning of every Grand Prix.

Also, I actually like battle more a lot. Am I the only one?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

jivjov posted:

For an options menu, specifcally I'd really like to be able to turn down game sounds a hair and leave the music a bit louder. I'd also like to be able to set a "default" for the GamePad screen, rather than having the Horn button be the 'main' screen, and possibly stuff like brightness options and the like.

I swear I've had the game default to controller-view sometimes (when I'm playing on controller with my TV off). I don't know how or why.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah, for all its awesome-ness, Mario Kart 8 is missing a large handful of quality-of-life features that really bug me...No lap times (Or even overall race time) on the race results screen, no in-game options menu, no in-game stats, no speedometer, no way to put the mini-map/CPU places on screen...little stuff like that.

I was disappointed that winning a race didn't play a little pedestal victory scene anymore, it's just a shot of your trophy spinning in the air. It's like you win and they shuffle you home, they'll mail you the trophy.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Reiley posted:

I was disappointed that winning a race didn't play a little pedestal victory scene anymore, it's just a shot of your trophy spinning in the air. It's like you win and they shuffle you home, they'll mail you the trophy.

Speaking of the trophy, using the left thumb stick (but not the right thumb stick) you can slightly rotate the trophy :)

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Spectacle Rock posted:

Speaking of the trophy, using the left thumb stick (but not the right thumb stick) you can slightly rotate the trophy :)

You can rotate it harder if you drag it on the gamepad!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Reiley posted:

Yup, this is another big complaint of mine. I used to love seeing Bowser lording it over the heroes.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm here to defend Battle Mode. Once you figure out how to Quick Turn, the game becomes a high-stakes action-packed duel to the death. The longer you survive, the more players will turn to ghosts, bombarding you with green shells from beyond. Every map becomes different thrill on its own – Mario Circuit turns into a death cage with no escape, Toad's Turnpike turns into a stealth-focussed horror-trip where you hide behind the moving cars and Yoshi Valley turns into a slaughterhouse.
There's tons of strategy to use, and since the maps aren't open like in the previous games you don't get ambushed from 3 directions at once.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'm finding that if I win a race, its usually because I get in first or near it right at the start and then never fall behind. If I fall to lower places, regardless of why, I find it nearly impossible to get back to the head of the pack. There's so many more players back there so there's so much more poo poo that hits you. Getting mushroom boosts helps but its not enough to get to the front and before long a red shell hits me and its back to square 1. I can never catch up.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I cannot get enough of this game. It rocks.

edit: Moved my question to the Wii-U thread.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 8, 2014

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
First place is the 1%. They bank all the coins, the gap between them and us only seems to get bigger and if they feel charitable they may throw a banana or two at us plebs fighting for survival.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm finding that if I win a race, its usually because I get in first or near it right at the start and then never fall behind. If I fall to lower places, regardless of why, I find it nearly impossible to get back to the head of the pack. There's so many more players back there so there's so much more poo poo that hits you. Getting mushroom boosts helps but its not enough to get to the front and before long a red shell hits me and its back to square 1. I can never catch up.

Yeah I'm having pretty much the same experience online. Yesterday I won like 7 races in a row because I was starting out in front and was able to build up a lead early on. Then today I played like 8 races and only won twice because I kept getting caught up in the lower ranks where things are super chaotic.

But I actually think 1st place is a little more vulnerable in this one than in MK7 at least. Only being able to hold one item and the danger of getting nothing but coins from item boxes means red shells are actually a threat now. At least blue shells aren't as common I guess

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Spectacle Rock posted:

Problem is, the two coolest items (a Mario t-shirt or a Zelda poster set) are sold out. Do items that are sold out ever come back in stock, or are they probably gone forever and I should choose something else? Please tell me what I should do.

Also, just to confirm all my coins expire at the end of June right?
Things are restocked every few months I think(aside from rare things). Coins can expire at all different times, sign in to your Club Nintendo account then click on Accounts and Coins, then select Coins & Status and you can see when your coins will expire.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

deafmute posted:

Things are restocked every few months I think(aside from rare things). Coins can expire at all different times, sign in to your Club Nintendo account then click on Accounts and Coins, then select Coins & Status and you can see when your coins will expire.

Thank you very much! That was really helpful :)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man that race in the goon room on sunshine airport got to me. First on the last lap then got item bombarded all the way to last.

Also how come I can never race goons unless I pick Toadette? If I ever pick metal mario or anyone else it just ships me off to a room all by my lonesome.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's because Toadette is the best character, you're not allowed to join goons with boring characters.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know if anyone else noticed or posted about this yet, but I just signed into the digital deluxe page and saw that I had two codes waiting for me. It seems that you get points for the free game you select (I got 399 points for Wii Party U, the only free game I didn't own) even though it didn't cost a dime.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Anybody else have the audio on their gamepad very rarely get a little bit of interference? I was watching the credits, and for a brief moment the gamepad audio cut out a bit and was static-y. I think it happened once before on the menu screen. Not sure if it's a gamepad issue or a game issue, as I've never noticed it happening before.

Don't think it's happened during a race yet, so not sure if it impairs controls as well (which would indicate some kind of communication issue between Wii U and gamepad most likely).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man that race in the goon room on sunshine airport got to me. First on the last lap then got item bombarded all the way to last.

Also how come I can never race goons unless I pick Toadette? If I ever pick metal mario or anyone else it just ships me off to a room all by my lonesome.

Pretty sure I was in that one with you. With the giant cluster of 5 people that pretty much photo-finished?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure I was in that one with you. With the giant cluster of 5 people that pretty much photo-finished?

Yeah :v: I was pretty pumped the entire time things started to go well then... swarm of racers just beat me up hardcore. "I'll change racers so I don't get tossed around all the time."

Then I can't rejoin.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah :v: I was pretty pumped the entire time things started to go well then... swarm of racers just beat me up hardcore

And you were Toadette? I think you're the Other Jason (tm) that my housemates were heckling me about. Stop being a better racer than me :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

jivjov posted:

And you were Toadette? I think you're the Other Jason (tm) that my housemates were heckling me about. Stop being a better racer than me :(

I'm sorry! Least I can't seem to rejoin now so that's something I think.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I thought that race went just fine. :colbert:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This game is the b(ob-)omb

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

I wanted to come here to post this! This is one of the top rated images on imgur right now.

Nintendo either misses the mark or super hits the target. They hit the target with this one. Mario Kart TV is basically 64 million dollars worth of free publicity.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished a goon race on tick tock clock and had to put the game down.

I shouldn't of won that, I think I made a new accidental shortcut and it scared the poo poo out of me

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's an intentional one, it's just really tricky to pull off. The safer route is to just drive along the actual hands, but it only works on lap 2 like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Elliotw2 posted:

That's an intentional one, it's just really tricky to pull off. The safer route is to just drive along the actual hands, but it only works on lap 2 like that.

I did it lap 3 to, and I know your supposed to drive on the clock hands. That was what I was going for- and why I was freaking out when I missed and still somehow made it.

• Locked thread