Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think pretty much all the storylines in the first three games, the character-based ones in particular, should be finished. That seemed to be the entire point of Citadel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like the idea of ME:4 / Control if you have to kill Shepard. I mean if they make femshep canon that is.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

How about a Control ending, but in times of crisis, God-Emperor Shep shits out an avatar to deal with something that requires a knife instead of a Thanix cannon? So you have a canon ending, you dont have to talk to your hat (although one of my Sheps looks like Postlethwaite, so that would be kind of cool), and you can continue with your trilogy character or create a new one.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

How about a Control ending, but in times of crisis, God-Emperor Shep shits out an avatar to deal with something that requires a knife instead of a Thanix cannon? So you have a canon ending, you dont have to talk to your hat (although one of my Sheps looks like Postlethwaite, so that would be kind of cool), and you can continue with your trilogy character or create a new one.

Except some people don't want God Shep or Control the canon ending. Why can't the Reapers be destroyed and you play as a new character?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

monster on a stick posted:

Like? (And things like "you control another character for a few minutes" like ME2/TW2 don't count.) I know of one RPG that did it (GoT.)

Leveling-up isn't just the only aspect of an RPG, it's also controlling what kind of character you are playing. Are you Paragon Shepard who is polite to everyone including the rear end in a top hat reporter? Are you the Renegade Shepard who kicks puppies for breakfast? Liara (for instance) is already an established character in the ME universe with her own personality, and playing her as too renegade would be out of character. So either you take the choices away or severely limit them.

I mean, it sounds like you guys basically want ME3's multiplayer. We already have that. I don't think Bioware will have a lot of luck selling a game that is basically a revamped multiplayer with a little story around it.
You don't think Bioware would have a lot of luck selling a game that combines a bunch of the things people like best about the series?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Except some people don't want God Shep or Control the canon ending. Why can't the Reapers be destroyed and you play as a new character?

I don't think EA will let them abandon "Shepard" as a character. The Destroy ending necessitates that the events in the next game follow Shepard if they're not abandoning the character and there's still too many issues with the ending that I dont think they can write a satisfying follow up to even though they would given 3 different chances to do so at that point. A fresh start either far in the future or a prequel that only touches the existing games in terms of prexisting background is the best bet for not getting caught in their own crappy writing.

Believe me, I chose Destroy repeatedly, but I just dont have enough faith in Bioware (or that EA won't dictate things in a stupid direction).

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The missions shouldn't be a bunch of horde levels, because that would kind of stink, but I could see them implementing the simplified skill trees, and more diverse characters with specialized move sets to play. ME hasn't really been an RPG since the first game, and that game was dogshit.

ME1 is the best ME game. Might not have the best mechanics but it's definitely the best ME game. That soundtrack was better too.

Honestly I like the dialogue wheel in ME a lot and I think it's one of the signatures of the series. And while the ME3 multiplayer mode was fun I think using those maps for the single player side missions was a bad idea because they all sucked, I can't even remember anything about them.

Whatever the next trilogy is I hope the story is more slowly paced like in the first game. Didn't really make much sense in 2 or 3 to go explore the galaxy when the apocalypse is literally on the way. I'd like more space exploration and less "come on guys we have to save the galaxy!!!"

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Mustang posted:

I'd like more space exploration and less "come on guys we have to save the galaxy!!!"

The reapers are just awful. All of those 'A mysterious ancient alien race is coming!' plot's are complete garbage. Because clearly a bigger threat = more tension right? Who needs three-dimensional characters or interesting conflict when you can just have mindless hive-minded aliens that want to kill everything because ???

And they talk in super corny 'No-one could possibly stop us hoo-man, we are so advanced and awesome, we have lived beyond the edges of space blah blah blah' cartoon villain poo poo.

I just want an ME game that focuses on a good, even if smaller scale story. I mean that's basically what ME2 was, 'We're going on a mission to blow up this ship, gather a group of spacers with attitude and get to it'. And a lot of people loved ME2, even if some people prefer ME1 due to brain damage or something.

Even then ME1 had the same kind of smaller plot, but let me ask the people who loved 1 so much; would the game really have been worse if they had taken out the stupid reapers and just had Saren be a space-terrorist/crazy man?

I mean this kind of poo poo is just... Bad to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Clu6qBEDJk

"BLah blah corny speech everyone has heard a million times blah blah"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I liked Sovereign in ME1, but the reaper threat should have ended with the destruction of Sovereign. When you bring more and more reapers into the series they're no longer terrifying and mysterious they become just another enemy or boss in your way. There was no need to explain what exactly a reaper is and where they came from.

They should have left it as "there is some weird and terrifying poo poo in the universe."

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Mustang posted:

I liked Sovereign in ME1, but the reaper threat should have ended with the destruction of Sovereign. When you bring more and more reapers into the series they're no longer terrifying and mysterious they become just another enemy or boss in your way. There was no need to explain what exactly a reaper is and where they came from.

Yeah I can see how he wasn't that bad, especially when it first came out. But even when first playing ME1 it felt like complete sequel bait. You just know that they're gonna be hiding behind the curtain for two games, making ominous threats about how you're doomed and could never stop them, then in the third game you're gonna stop them.

It just boils back to thinking people won't care about the story unless aliens want to destroy Earth or the entire galaxy (and therefore Earth by proxy). And those aliens can't have personalities, naturally. Any goal other than 'WE'RE GONNA EAT EVERYONE' would confuse people.

I wonder if Bioware would ever consider having the player be an Alien character. Or are they too afraid of the sales plummeting if there wasn't a gruff white dude with no personality as the default protag?

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 7, 2014

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It's not like you couldn't have a bald space marine dude on the cover AND have more than one race option for the protagonist.

But yeah, "prequel" sounds to me like "Story about first contact war that will be uninspired at best". But I guess they could surprise us and make it a game where you play as an asari/turian/salarian before they found the humans!

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Mymla posted:

It's not like you couldn't have a bald space marine dude on the cover AND have more than one race option for the protagonist.

They should put the bald space marine on the cover and then have the player be a Batarian or something. Not even as an option, just Batarian.

quote:

But yeah, "prequel" sounds to me like "Story about first contact war that will be uninspired at best". But I guess they could surprise us and make it a game where you play as an asari/turian/salarian before they found the humans!

Unless they drop the whole 'YOU SHAPE THE STORY' gimmick a prequel is impossible surely? Because by definition your actions in the prequel couldn't possibly effect what happens in the main ME games?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The prequel thing is just a rumor, we shouldn't put too much stock in it.

PootieTang posted:

I just want an ME game that focuses on a good, even if smaller scale story. I mean that's basically what ME2 was, 'We're going on a mission to blow up this ship, gather a group of spacers with attitude and get to it'. And a lot of people loved ME2, even if some people prefer ME1 due to brain damage or something.

The Mass Relays being destroyed would have allowed the smaller scale story, without super powerful alien villains and the need to safe the galaxy. Sadly, Bioware caved to fan pressure and changed it in the Extended Cut DLC.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mymla posted:

They confirmed it wasn't going to be a prequel and also it wouldn't be about Shepard.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

They confirmed it wasn't going to be a prequel and also it wouldn't be about Shepard.

Huh, really? When did this happen?

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
My Shepard was latino and I want to play the next game as a quarian or batarian or krogan. I am the 1%.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I kinda want to play as a Quairan too. I would totally be into different scarf and helmet options.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

PootieTang posted:

The reapers are just awful. All of those 'A mysterious ancient alien race is coming!' plot's are complete garbage. Because clearly a bigger threat = more tension right? Who needs three-dimensional characters or interesting conflict when you can just have mindless hive-minded aliens that want to kill everything because ???

And they talk in super corny 'No-one could possibly stop us hoo-man, we are so advanced and awesome, we have lived beyond the edges of space blah blah blah' cartoon villain poo poo.

Even then ME1 had the same kind of smaller plot, but let me ask the people who loved 1 so much; would the game really have been worse if they had taken out the stupid reapers and just had Saren be a space-terrorist/crazy man?

I mean this kind of poo poo is just... Bad to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Clu6qBEDJk

"BLah blah corny speech everyone has heard a million times blah blah"

It would have been interesting if ME1 was purely Saren running around doing his thing and only at the end is there a hint that he was doing all of this (Krogan army, alliance with the Geth) due to the threat of the Reapers. (of which we know nothing about yet but rumors)

ME2 being about the same, and finding out at the end that there's a Reaper behind the Collectors (Sovereign) and they're just getting biological data and instead of a baby reaper it's a husk army for Sovereign.

ME3's first acts being a trial on Earth for Shepard basically becoming Saren during ME2, and stopping Sovereign from destabilizing Tuchanka and Rannoch and from calling in all of the Reapers. Cerberus makes a deal with Sovereign and it seems to make some sense for the first part of the game because we don't have two games of "YOU CAN'T NEGOTIATE/INDOCTRINATION!!!!1111."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mymla posted:

Huh, really? When did this happen?

I'm trying to find a quote but I can't, so they not have confirmed it officialy, but the rumours and glimpses of new aliens (unconfirmed) indicate this is probably not a prequel.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mustang posted:

Honestly I like the dialogue wheel in ME a lot and I think it's one of the signatures of the series. And while the ME3 multiplayer mode was fun I think using those maps for the single player side missions was a bad idea because they all sucked, I can't even remember anything about them.

Why not? They needed side missions because players like them, they had maps that Bioware Montreal made for multiplayer, combine the two = done. I remember most of them, one was to get some kid's dogtags, another was the big gun on Tuchanka, another was the base on Noveria. I think the very last side mission you get (with the transmitter array) was also a MP map too, right?

Atarask posted:

It would have been interesting if ME1 was purely Saren running around doing his thing and only at the end is there a hint that he was doing all of this (Krogan army, alliance with the Geth) due to the threat of the Reapers. (of which we know nothing about yet but rumors)

ME2 being about the same, and finding out at the end that there's a Reaper behind the Collectors (Sovereign) and they're just getting biological data and instead of a baby reaper it's a husk army for Sovereign.

ME3's first acts being a trial on Earth for Shepard basically becoming Saren during ME2, and stopping Sovereign from destabilizing Tuchanka and Rannoch and from calling in all of the Reapers. Cerberus makes a deal with Sovereign and it seems to make some sense for the first part of the game because we don't have two games of "YOU CAN'T NEGOTIATE/INDOCTRINATION!!!!1111."

This is two games of padding to get to see the actual enemy, there wouldn't have even been ME2.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

This is two games of padding to get to see the actual enemy, there wouldn't have even been ME2.

Again this is intrinsic to the idea of 'there has to be a giant intergalactic threat ready to blow up the galaxy!' style of storytelling.

In fact now I'm starting to question what I said, maybe it's not inherent, but just because Mass Effect's storyline was written by Fanfic writers.

Because Game of Thrones does the same thing really, except they manage to make it work. Just replace 'White Walkers' with 'Reapers'. Maybe the difference is because one group is using the work of an accomplished author, refined by writers good enough to work for HBO. And the other... You know.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PootieTang posted:

Again this is intrinsic to the idea of 'there has to be a giant intergalactic threat ready to blow up the galaxy!' style of storytelling.

In fact now I'm starting to question what I said, maybe it's not inherent, but just because Mass Effect's storyline was written by Fanfic writers.

Because Game of Thrones does the same thing really, except they manage to make it work. Just replace 'White Walkers' with 'Reapers'. Maybe the difference is because one group is using the work of an accomplished author, refined by writers good enough to work for HBO. And the other... You know.

Except that your idea has the big threat too (intergalactic in this case since it's SF.) If what you are saying is that "if you are going to have a big threat, hold off on showing it until the last part of the trilogy" then I'd point out that it isn't a great idea because players aren't going to stick around that long. I'm reminded of the Babylon 5 sequel "Crusade" where supposedly there was going to be some entirely new plot in the later seasons but nobody stuck around that long.

Game of Thrones had the threat show up early - in the TV show, the white walkers show up in the teaser for episode 1. Lord of the Rings has the threat mentioned early, and encountered through the Nazgul in Fellowship.

Also ME1 was pretty well-written and I think you may be the only person who thought it had the weakest story.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Also ME1 was pretty well-written and I think you may be the only person who thought it had the weakest story.

I, too, thought so. It was incredibly boring, yet another return to the same old Bioware structure that ME2 threw out for the better.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Except that your idea has the big threat too (intergalactic in this case since it's SF.) If what you are saying is that "if you are going to have a big threat, hold off on showing it until the last part of the trilogy" then I'd point out that it isn't a great idea because players aren't going to stick around that long. I'm reminded of the Babylon 5 sequel "Crusade" where supposedly there was going to be some entirely new plot in the later seasons but nobody stuck around that long.

Game of Thrones had the threat show up early - in the TV show, the white walkers show up in the teaser for episode 1. Lord of the Rings has the threat mentioned early, and encountered through the Nazgul in Fellowship.

I think you're mis-attributing, I'm the guy who was saying they should remove all the global threats, not the guy who said move the reapers entirely to game 3. Although that post was in response to something I said.

And I don't think ME1 had the weakest story, 3 had by far the weakest. My big problem with ME1 was that the whole game felt like a prologue, like the first planet in KOTOR that just ends up feeling like you're just about to start the actual game any minute. Maybe because of the whole reaper thing, but probably not since ME2 had that poo poo too and I really liked that one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I liked ME1's story because it was an old cop movie. "You're a loose cannon, Shepard! Turn in your ship and gun!"

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I needed several tries over the years to finally pull myself together and just finish ME1, this only happened recently. I still didn't finish all the sidequests because I literally could not be bothered anymore. I knew nothing about it or the two games after (which were out by now) but I'm glad I did at least the cerberus side missions in ME1. That being said, I'm glad I finished it because the two games after were more immersive that way, but man was it trite in places. This strange disconnect of side missions/main story was still going on in ME2, in my opinion only ME3 got that right, because it tied everything together with the whole war arc. It just sort of flew apart somewhere around the end. Still a good game IMO and tons more enjoyable than ME1.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 7, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lycus posted:

I liked ME1's story because it was an old cop movie. "You're a loose cannon, Shepard! Turn in your ship and gun!"

Well, I like that aspect, but most of ME1 was incredibly boring. Especially the terrible gameplay.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Geostomp posted:

Well, I like that aspect, but most of ME1 was incredibly boring. Especially the terrible gameplay.

The terrible gameplay of ME1 really overrides all other factors for me. I prefer the story in the latter games, but it's hard to tell how much of that is my total inability to stand ME1s godawful gameplay.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
ME1 is the best, gently caress the haters

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nah, it plays like poo poo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I always laugh when I remember that Mass effect 1 included a scene where the villain literally stomps around yelling "RARGH ARGH GRRR"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

Nah, it plays like poo poo.

you were playing it wrong: not as an Adept

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mass Effect 1 is dog poo poo.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

well youd be the authority I suppose

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I can't bring myself to play any of the three games. Maybe my interest in Mass Effect will peak if there is any news at E3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have indeed played it multiple times. It is a dreadful game, full of bad writing, and worse gameplay. Only the mentally ill think it is the best of the series.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

you are the authority on things that are dog poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have played every Bethesda game so far, so that is probably true.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mymla posted:

I would maybe be okay with a flashback in the story to these events, but I would prefer if the next game were set after ME3. And if they didn't want to fall into the trap that Deus Ex: Invisible War did, they'd have the story set far enough past ME3 that any of that game's endings could have happened but are far enough back that people can't remember exactly how it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

I can't bring myself to play any of the three games. Maybe my interest in Mass Effect will peak if there is any news at E3.

It's so weird when you see someone who is your actual opposite. I just started a new trilogy run today. Crazy.

• Locked thread