Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

What is this map supposed to be? What context was it made in, or used in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man is it just me, or

a) is China the only other country to have borders on this map
and
b) does China's borders include a massive chunk of the sea and a sliver of North Korea?

It looks like someone drew China and tried to fit the map around it.

Eiba posted:

Also, I just realized that there are two Bangladeshes.

Bangladesh was east Pakistan for a while so maybe that's what they were going for.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

What is this map supposed to be? What context was it made in, or used in?

I don't know. Source was just a random image upload site, and its original file name there was "China_world_map".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deltasquid posted:

I, too, remember Belgium being to Ireland's south-west.
Belgium isn't Northern Europe to me.

(I said most.)

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Shadowrun?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Yep, I just enjoy how loving crazy the setting is to have a map that ridiculous.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I don't know much about Shadowrun, but what are Irish Sidhe doing in and around the state of Washington?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seattle is a midwestern enclave?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Torrannor posted:

You mean Finland is not a part of Sweden? :confused:

I see the BBC works hard to copy American news channels.
At least the BBC got the right continent.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Torrannor posted:

I don't know much about Shadowrun, but what are Irish Sidhe doing in and around the state of Washington?

From what I understand, when magic came back in the world of Shadowrun, some people were predisposed to have magic powers, Irish people and their descendants became elves.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lord Hydronium posted:

At least the BBC got the right continent.

It's actually an interesting map. They were trying to depict China, but confused it with Brazil. At the same time they knew enough about geography to know that there has to be a Hong Kong somewhere in there, and it is actually in roughly the right place (if Brazil was China). If you know where to put Hong Kong in China, how can you think Brazil is China? :confused:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Er I think you're reaching more than a bit there. That's just where Sao Paulo is.

I'm really curious how these actually happen though. Why do they get the person who can't tell apart Sweden and Finland or Brazil and China to do the maps?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
A lot of us simply are that clueless about geography (did Mitt Romney say that Iran doesn't border the Gulf of Persia, or something else)?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Koramei posted:

Er I think you're reaching more than a bit there. That's just where Sao Paulo is.

I'm really curious how these actually happen though. Why do they get the person who can't tell apart Sweden and Finland or Brazil and China to do the maps?

Stupid foreign languages! I worded that poorly. I meant that Hong Kong is actually where it would be in China, in that it is on the south eastern coast.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

A lot of us simply are that clueless about geography (did Mitt Romney say that Iran doesn't border the Gulf of Persia, or something else)?

Leaving aside that Brasil & China are two major countries, if you are clueless you have to do your homework rather than just slap the label wherever and call it good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

To be fair, it's history knowledge to make the connection between Iran and Persia, not geography.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Koramei posted:

Imho it's just a case of somebody punching the wrong number into the script they use to create these backdrop maps.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
That wouldn't explain classics like this guy:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Torrannor posted:

To be fair, it's history knowledge to make the connection between Iran and Persia, not geography.

It's geography knowledge to make the connection between Iran and the Gulf of Persia, though. I wouldn't expect your average person to know that, and I'm sad to say I wouldn't expect people running for the highest office in their country to know that, but I think we should be able to expect that when a person is running to be the head of a nation which recently fought a war in said Gulf, and when that person states that they consider Iran to be the biggest threat to the country's foreign policy, that they should at least have done some sort of learning of the geography of the area in which both are located.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Reveilled posted:

It's geography knowledge to make the connection between Iran and the Gulf of Persia, though. I wouldn't expect your average person to know that, and I'm sad to say I wouldn't expect people running for the highest office in their country to know that, but I think we should be able to expect that when a person is running to be the head of a nation which recently fought a war in said Gulf, and when that person states that they consider Iran to be the biggest threat to the country's foreign policy, that they should at least have done some sort of learning of the geography of the area in which both are located.

That's very true. Though I thought he designated Russia as the biggest threat to the USA?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is what you get for being lazy with how you name your country.

Reveilled posted:

McCain said something a few years ago about the Iraq-Pakistan border. I was disappointed, because despite the fact that he's insane I thought he at least knew his poo poo.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 7, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Torrannor posted:

That's very true. Though I thought he designated Russia as the biggest threat to the USA?

Yeah, it was Russia who Romney said was the greatest threat to the USA. Guess no one gave him the memo that slobbering about fighting communists in TYOOL 2012 isn't a winning strategy?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phlegmish posted:

This is what you get for being lazy with how you name your country.

Still not as bad as Austria and Australia. Luckily they are half a world apart.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Medieval Medic posted:

Leaving aside that Brasil & China are two major countries, if you are clueless you have to do your homework rather than just slap the label wherever and call it good.

These days you just spit "China" into google and it will show you a map, without even having to go to the maps section or anything. This is more like they genuinely thought China was in south america, or were playing a joke on CNN.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Patter Song posted:

That wouldn't explain classics like this guy:

Toulouse aside, that's not that far off. It's like someone played one of those "place the city" browser games, but really couldn't remember where in France Toulouse was, or where exactly France ended.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Don't forget Paris mysteriously moving east and Strasbourg being in Austria.

I wonder how these maps get created. They probably just googled 'map of France' and then added the cities haphazardly to their own map.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Don't forget Paris mysteriously moving east and Strasbourg being in Austria.
Well, they're still kinda in the right position. Paris and Rennes are too far east too, while Cannes and Lille too far west. Still, only talking about hundreds of kilometers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wrong, if anything Cannes isn't westerly enough:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So... do we have to guess what these places have in common?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Search boundary for Oceanic 815.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Julian of Norwich's visions were so powerful she never noticed she was actually in London.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Count Roland posted:

Well there's a big bloop on Chile so I'm guessing a tsunami warning after that big earthquake a while back.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'd say it was made in China, but the Chinese wouldn't put Tanwan Taiwan as a separate country.

Last page, but in Chinese they've labeled Taiwan as "China - Taiwan" and Hong Kong as "China - Hong Kong"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Theory: CNN maps are made by Wolf Blitzer.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

the jizz taxi posted:

Theory: CNN maps are made by Wolf Blitzer.

Impossible. There's no possible plane locations on them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Second-largest religion in each country.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What's the other in Zambia?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lycus posted:

What's the other in Zambia?

Baha'i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pakled posted:

Second-largest religion in each country.

I wonder what Europe looked like before WWII :smith: