Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FrozenVent posted:

For the record, it's possible to beat back an uprising. It's not easy but it can be done. If you're lucky. And have a shitton of military.

I bombed the assholes.

You don't necessarily WANT to win, it can kill the whole working age population.

The White Dragon posted:

Doesn't Democracy fully negate uprisings, though?

That does beg the question what negative impact Crime Lords have on your island, though. Do they contribute to Corruption? Raise crime in their home area? The game is pretty ambiguous about them. Maybe the tutorial explains it, I skipped that.

But then you have to have free and fair elections, yuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Tulip posted:

You don't necessarily WANT to win, it can kill the whole working age population.

Yeah but if you lose...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Tulip posted:

You can also see values of everything you produce.

Values seem to be consistent at start, i'm actually not sure what causes changes after that, the Colonial is the result of about 9 different test points that were always the exact goddamn same, the others are just kind of whatever saves i have lying around. I have literally never built a chocolate or electronics factory, i should see what those wind up as.

I also have a theory that multiproduction cycle buildings are slower if you can't keep them firing on all cylinders, hence why you'd use anything other than fish in a cannery or use cotton in a textile mill. However i also haven't really spent the time spergin' to figure out production of all but a few buildings in the simplest circumstances. I kinda wanted to just play the game instead of spreadsheeting for a while.

code:
Era			Colonial	World Wars (1)	World Wars (2)	Cold War (1)	Modern Times (1)Modern Times (2)
Market price...
Banana			800		800		800		800		960		800
Corn			400		370		357		300		344		257
Fish			300		300		300		300		360		300
Meat			1000		1130		1143		1200		1200		1000
Milk			700		830		843		900		944		757
Pineapple		900		900		900		900		1080		900

Cocoa			1500		1500		1500		1500		1800		1500
Coffee			1300		1300		1300		1300		1560		1300
Cotton			1100		1270		1257		1200		1304		1057
Sugar			800		800		800		800		960		640
Tobacco			1000		1000		1000		1000		1200		1000
Wool			900		820		807		750		833		679

Logs			600		738		621		650		840		700
Iron			1400		1140		1114		887		887		857
Coal			600		470		457		500		500		500
Gold			2500		2500		2500		2500		2500		2500
Bauxite					1770		1757		1700		1687		1657
Uranium									3500		3700		4150
Oil									5000		7133		7433

Planks			1500		1500		1500		1500		1726		1965
Cloth					2800		2800		2800		2574		2765
Canned Goods				2000		2000				2000		2200
Steel					3800		3933		4500				3612
Furniture									                        2800	
Pharmaceuticals												2845
Apparel													3612

Cigar					3200		3200						4088
Rum					2700		2700				4701		2173
Jewelry					7000		7000				3633
Cars
Chocolate
Electronics

Made a pic of this + the industry production table so that people can save it for convenience:

--

What's the difference between a mine and an automated mine? Are they always worth upgrading to?

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
Automated mines have an upgrade that increases the remaining ore quantity by a fairly large amount. I forget what exactly, 30k?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

20k for $3,500 if I recall correctly.

I think they have a higher efficiency per worker, too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So they don't dig deeper or anything to find deeper deposits? Just make your mines run dry even faster?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They dig deeper if you buy the additional upgrade that becomes available when you build an automated mine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dogen posted:

They dig deeper if you buy the additional upgrade that becomes available when you build an automated mine.

But note that you can’t upgrade them if you’ve already exhausted the initial deposit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really wish we could just keep refreshing resources for a cost forever, or at least have that an option in sandbox.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You get the one shot at increasing them all with the geological survey edict, but frankly by the time everything is gone you should be pretty bored with the island, unless you really like mines and your island is some kind of shack dotted open strip mine hellscape.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
They should go the Anno 2070 route and have research lead to more ore/coal/etc.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How many raw resource buildings should you have per factory? Tobacco -> Cigars, for instance?

Does a ranch need fertility in the surrounding area, or just on the tiles it is placed on?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish we could just keep refreshing resources for a cost forever, or at least have that an option in sandbox.

That's basically what importing is?

PirateBob posted:

How many raw resource buildings should you have per factory? Tobacco -> Cigars, for instance?

Does a ranch need fertility in the surrounding area, or just on the tiles it is placed on?

Kind of depends? Looks like somewhat close to 2:1 raws:producers, but some are different - 2 Wharfs provided way more fish than 3 canneries at high efficiency could use, for example. One steel mill (off of one coal and one iron) and one bauxite mine allowed me to run 2 vehicle factories, but each Cigar Factory seems to need 1.5-2 tobacco plantations. I've never managed to keep a furniture factory running, holy poo poo they have fast throughput.

I'm pretty sure ranches just use the land they're on.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 6, 2014

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

How do I get people to go to High School and college? I'm playing on Sandbox with infinite money and have built a bazillion high schools but I still have a ton of illiterate assholes complaining that they don't have a job since there's about 600+ openings for high school and college only. They're also starving because the hydroponic farms need high schoolers and the people refuse to educate themselves.

Edit: The High Schools and Colleges are packed with foreign workers so it isn't like there's a problem there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Do you have your TV station set to "Tea Party"?
Schools are for the liberal elite, I'd rather starve than learn :argh:

(I really miss the ability to choose what your station's programming is.)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

PirateBob posted:

It depends on their efficacy, particularly given that a lot of farms can get huge boosts compared to the industry buildings. A distillery (which I just happen to have the numbers for) will yield six units of rum per month per effectiveness, using up either 1 or 0.75 units of sugar per (depending on the upgrade). A sugar plantation will produce 3 units of sugar per month per effectiveness. Most of the simple chains have a similar ratio where it's about two raw resource producers per industrial building, if the effectiveness is the same.

More complicated sets like cannery/fish don't line up that way because, besides modifiers from certain upgrades, one unit in is always one unit out. Since the cannery takes a bunch of kinds of input, it doesn't use each of them nearly as fast. The production buildings that use multiple ingredients often don't use the same amounts of them, which can further complicate things; for example, an upgraded steel mill uses 0.15 units of coal and 0.65 units of iron per unit of steel.

I don't have all of the numbers, but here are the plantation yields per effectiveness (probably correct):
pre:
Plantations
Banana	    2.5
Cocoa	    1.75
Coffee	    2
Corn	    4
Cotton	    2.5
Pineapples  2.5
Sugar	    3
Tobacco	    2.5
I haven't really checked it out, but the modern mines and ranches are both exactly double the production, so hydroponic farms probably are too.

Tulip posted:

I've never managed to keep a furniture factory running, holy poo poo they have fast throughput.

Without the gold upgrade thing one furniture factory should require about 1.5 lumber mills, and one mill with the 30% upgrade should require two logging camps. You're right, though, the furniture factory produces as many units per effectiveness as the cannery, despite almost exclusively using planks instead of a bunch of different poo poo. If you don't keep all of the buildings in that production chain real close together they'll run your teamsters ragged.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yea even when the input is a freighter of Lumber coming into a dock right next to the furniture factory, it's hard to keep it running >30% of the time, though that was in a maze of factories. That production line lends itself poorly to collection point centralization, since logging camps tend to run more slowly the longer they're up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You want to have a bit of overproduction to account for the logistical friction; basically your factory needs enough stock to produce while the next batch of raw material or WIP is produced, dwells, and is transported to the factory. That dwell and transportation time is why you can't go "Well the factory produces X per month, I'm going to build enough plantations to produce X per month". You need a little more. (But not too much more, cause then you're wasting storage space or you're selling it overseas. That does give you higher resiliency in case of a disruption lower down the chain though.)

It's actually a pretty decent approximation of real life on that front. Still doesn't approach Railroad Tycoon III as far as simulating a supply chain goes, however.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Cowman posted:

How do I get people to go to High School and college? I'm playing on Sandbox with infinite money and have built a bazillion high schools but I still have a ton of illiterate assholes complaining that they don't have a job since there's about 600+ openings for high school and college only. They're also starving because the hydroponic farms need high schoolers and the people refuse to educate themselves.

Edit: The High Schools and Colleges are packed with foreign workers so it isn't like there's a problem there.

I think age comes into play; I'm pretty sure adults can't go back to High School, and illiterate adults can't go to college. You need to wait for the younger generation to start getting older and graduating to start filling those ranks.

If that is the case, a "Continuing Education" edit that allows adults to get a high school education would be pretty useful.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Speaking of education, can educated citizens work uneducated jobs? It always feels like I have a major desaturation of employees everywhere once I hit the Cold War era even though I have single-digit unemployment and a four-digit population.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I the edict that hands out HS/university diplomas to random uneducated people (Loyalists?) not available in Tropico 5?
Overall the game sounds like a worse version of T4 Complete, which you can get for :tenbux: on a Steam sale.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 7, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tulip posted:

That's basically what importing is?

Importing is deeply flawed due to the lack of storage and has to be done manually. If there was just some automated "allow imports" options on a factory where they'd auto-buy the needed resources that would be one thing. But having to constantly make trade deals and hope your idiot docks don't sell the critical resource you bought at a loss instead of your factory processing it makes anything other than a sustainable local economy a pain in the rear end.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If your imports aren't getting off the dock to the factories fast enough, you don't have enough teamsters. After the second ship, assuming you're importing enough (which you only need to set up once), it will run smoothly unless you don't have enough teamsters or for some reason your factories are far from the docks. If you don't have enough teamsters, you're interally sustainable economy will also be running dry anyway, but worse because your chain is longer and you're paying more workers.

Honestly the better i get, the more i like importing. It lets you compress supply chains and reduce labor costs, giving you better uptimes and much lower overhead.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you have that customs house upgrade it's great as well.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
I'm having a couple of problems...
In the colonial era I have a bit of trouble raising revolutionary sentiment. I follow all the quests and I'm always sure to either tell the crown to give me more time or to get more revolutionaries shipped over. Getting the required amount of approval is difficult. I usually end up running out of time even with mandate extensions.

Afterwards the World War era is fine but, afterwards during the cold war era my entire economy comes crashing down in spite of doing little else but progressing the era forward. What am I doing wrong?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

For revolutionary sentiment, research constitution or building a newspaper are frequently what put me over the top.

As to your economic question, maybe you don't have enough high schools to support factories right, or maybe you are having supply chain issues (not enough raw goods, not enough teamsters, stuff in the same chain spread out too much).

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 9, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Psygnosis posted:

I'm having a couple of problems...
In the colonial era I have a bit of trouble raising revolutionary sentiment. I follow all the quests and I'm always sure to either tell the crown to give me more time or to get more revolutionaries shipped over. Getting the required amount of approval is difficult. I usually end up running out of time even with mandate extensions.

Afterwards the World War era is fine but, afterwards during the cold war era my entire economy comes crashing down in spite of doing little else but progressing the era forward. What am I doing wrong?

Well, for getting more revolutionary approval, I believe it is linked to your people's happiness. While some things like healthcare are impossible to satisfy since you can't build clinics yet, keep an eye on the factors that you can improve. Make sure you have enough taverns, Catholic missions, and housing. You can also build some mansions for your more affluent citizens for extra happiness.

As for the Cold War economy, you'll probably have to supply some more specific information, but here are some of the things that can potentially go wrong. Be careful that your infrastructure is able to support your economy: make sure that you have enough teamsters and docks to transport goods and look at your roads to see if they are congested and, if so, try to see how you might build other paths that might improve that. Also, make sure that your docks aren't too close together, as that can quickly lead to ships bumping into each other and taking forever to progress. You might not have enough educated citizens to staff your buildings; some things that can impede this is upgrading to buildings like hydroponic farms, which need high school instead of illiterate workers, and having a professional army, which makes all soldiers need high school education (never have this, as it will suck lots of educated citizens out of your economy for a negligible gain). Finally, did you do a good amount of industrializing during the world wars era? I like to get either a rum distillery or cigar factory, depending on resources and trade offers, pronto in that era as they mean big loving money. Before the world wars era ends I like to build all available industry, provided I have the resources.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Colonial period is pretty easy to grow your revolution. Just make sure everyone has a house, everyone has a job, and you've built everything you can. Make sure your taverns or missions aren't full. Basically just do everything you can to pamper your people with the incredibly limited building selection you have.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Revolution support = Happiness.

Of course all you have to make your people happy is mansions, country houses, opera, tavern and mission so... Have fun!

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Do the educated colonists given as Revolutionary task rewards automatically join the revolutionary faction? While I often chase Revolutionary missions just to stuff my colony with future factory workers, it would be good if it padded the independence support too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FrozenVent posted:

Of course all you have to make your people happy is mansions, country houses, opera, tavern and mission so... Have fun!

Note that in the Colonial Era, chances are that your citizens won't be able to afford mansion housing unless you lower the budget to 20%, at which point the wealth required to live in the house drops from Rich to Well-Off, which is anyone who isn't working in a mine or a plantation. The only way to get Rich citizens in that era is to employ them at an Opera House with 100% budget.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

The White Dragon posted:

Note that in the Colonial Era, chances are that your citizens won't be able to afford mansion housing unless you lower the budget to 20%, at which point the wealth required to live in the house drops from Rich to Well-Off, which is anyone who isn't working in a mine or a plantation. The only way to get Rich citizens in that era is to employ them at an Opera House with 100% budget.

I'm pretty sure newspaper and soldiers can also reach rich? I know I've ben able to get a decent number of people into colonial mansions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t like effectivity being tied to wage. High job happiness should come at a cost, but as it is, increasing budget often causes a net increase in profit.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

Well, for getting more revolutionary approval, I believe it is linked to your people's happiness. While some things like healthcare are impossible to satisfy since you can't build clinics yet, keep an eye on the factors that you can improve. Make sure you have enough taverns, Catholic missions, and housing. You can also build some mansions for your more affluent citizens for extra happiness.

As for the Cold War economy, you'll probably have to supply some more specific information, but here are some of the things that can potentially go wrong. Be careful that your infrastructure is able to support your economy: make sure that you have enough teamsters and docks to transport goods and look at your roads to see if they are congested and, if so, try to see how you might build other paths that might improve that. Also, make sure that your docks aren't too close together, as that can quickly lead to ships bumping into each other and taking forever to progress. You might not have enough educated citizens to staff your buildings; some things that can impede this is upgrading to buildings like hydroponic farms, which need high school instead of illiterate workers, and having a professional army, which makes all soldiers need high school education (never have this, as it will suck lots of educated citizens out of your economy for a negligible gain). Finally, did you do a good amount of industrializing during the world wars era? I like to get either a rum distillery or cigar factory, depending on resources and trade offers, pronto in that era as they mean big loving money. Before the world wars era ends I like to build all available industry, provided I have the resources.
Usually I have a couple of factories. That is what makes me so much money in the World Wars era. A couple of Cigar factories, and a couple of rum. I have a few cash crops that are just for selling like cotton and cocoa. Usually I have a hundred thousand dollars or before entering the cold war era which drops off fairly quickly once I enter the cold war era. Is there something that changes between the World War era and the Cold War era I'm not seeing?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Opals25 posted:

I'm pretty sure newspaper and soldiers can also reach rich? I know I've ben able to get a decent number of people into colonial mansions.

Yes. And Library. And Teamster. And Construction. And Mission.

The Opera House is the only one that can do Filthy though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Platystemon posted:

I don’t like effectivity being tied to wage. High job happiness should come at a cost, but as it is, increasing budget often causes a net increase in profit.

I think the entire "budget" simplification is a huge step backwards vs the wage system we had before. The fact that you often get an increase in profit is counter-intuitive as well. Either you're paying your people higher wages for the same work and making their happier, or you're working them harder/smarter and increasing production but compensating to match so it should be a wash.

It's the same problem with housing too. Increasing the budget makes the housing nicer but also increases the rent and locks certain classes out. The whole class system was supposed to simplify things but it's just make things unintuitive. Why can't I have a slum for unemployed people with super high upkeep budget that I run at a huge loss? Why can't I have my doctors making $10 and my farmers making $20?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baronjutter posted:

I think the entire "budget" simplification is a huge step backwards vs the wage system we had before. The fact that you often get an increase in profit is counter-intuitive as well. Either you're paying your people higher wages for the same work and making their happier, or you're working them harder/smarter and increasing production but compensating to match so it should be a wash.

It's the same problem with housing too. Increasing the budget makes the housing nicer but also increases the rent and locks certain classes out. The whole class system was supposed to simplify things but it's just make things unintuitive. Why can't I have a slum for unemployed people with super high upkeep budget that I run at a huge loss? Why can't I have my doctors making $10 and my farmers making $20?

Increasing budget doesn't increase rent. People pay rents based on their wealth level, and if you increase the budget to the point where it prices out an entire class and then fills up again with people of the higher class, then rent "goes up," but you can in fact lose money by increasing the budget.

They should probably retune the effects of budget on export buildings so that without free market tends to reduce total income.

Alya
Apr 30, 2008
Version 1.02 is out!

v1.02 Changelog posted:

- Multiplayer: Number of players in each chat room now displayed
- Multiplayer: Fixed several asynchronous game states
- Multiplayer: Fixed several UI issues
- Multiplayer: Added game speed setting when creating multiplayer games
- Multiplayer: Chat room names are now displayed properly
- Multiplayer: Fixed an issue with Aircraft Carriers not working properly
- Multiplayer: Fixed handling of Steam players with identical names
- Multiplayer: Fixed issue when exploring a deposit with a mine of another player
- Added option to rebind camera keys
- Added a repair/rebuild all option for damaged/destroyed buildings
- Added option to set budget for all building types (hold CTRL while setting budget)
- Beauty and pollution now properly affect housing quality
- Rebalanced upgrades: Research Projects (College), Small Hadron Collider (Research Lab), Totally Natural (Pharmaceutical Company)
- Upgrades now working with listed values: Chemical Extractor (Bauxite Mine and Automated Mine), Gas Turbines (Power Plant)
- Rebalanced number of workers in Uranium Automated Mines
- Census edict now properly applies its effect on activation
- Edicts can now be cancelled when money is below -$10000
- Fixed sandbox win conditions not restoring after loading a save
- Fixed crashes and eliminated stuttering on the main menu
- Fixed menus losing focus after a cutscene is triggered
- Fixed achievements (Barrels of Monkeys, History will Absolve Me)
- Fixed citizens not retiring or passing away properly
- Fixed rare endless black screen freeze related to disasters
- Fixed several freezes during combat
- Fixed some task chain issues
- Fixed missing buildings in Almanac list
- Fixed rare instance where dynasty could have more than 7 members
- Fixed volcano overlay on maps without volcanoes
- Fixed Dynasty UI errors when switching presidential candidate
- Fixed construction office and teamster trucks getting stuck
- Fixed rare issue with squads doing a coup
- Fixed "Jump to Livecam" hotkey
- Fixed guards patrolling without weapons
- Fixed an issue with saving dynasties during the campaign
- Demolished National Park no longer blocks construction in the area
- Autodestruction of buildings with depleted resources can no longer be cancelled
- Thoughts now properly reflect citizen's gender
- Improved OS version check at startup
- Improved GPU autodetection on startup
- Fixed campaign freeze on loading screen
- Fixed several typos, Miss Pineapple will be busy for the next few days

IMPORTANT NOTICE! While using 1.01 savegames in the 1.02 version should generally work fine and has been tested extensively with no negative side effects, we can not guarantee that your experience will be the same, especially when picking up from an old campaign savegame.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There is currently a bug that causes trade deals to instantly finish after the first shipment. Every export AND import deal with a limited amount. Doesn't affect the regular infinite import deals. But according to the steam forum the devs are working on a hotfix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poil posted:

There is currently a bug that causes trade deals to instantly finish after the first shipment. Every export AND import deal with a limited amount. Doesn't affect the regular infinite import deals. But according to the steam forum the devs are working on a hotfix.

Haha, I haven't played the game for a while but I just jumped in to try the patch. I also never bothered with manual trading much so I was all like "what the gently caress I have to micro-manage every shipment??"

Also I really like how tenements look. They remind me more of t4 condos. I wish we had more variety in shapes/styles of housing so you could have whole big turn of the century looking areas made out of the style of buildings in the "tenament".

Also is there any quick way to mod out the decay of tenanments? It adds nothing to the game and makes no sense. I'm paying upkeep on it, why is it decaying unlike any other building in the game? I remember T4 had a stupid housing building like that, it was cheap and you didn't need to pay upkeep and it gave free housing but the quality decays over time. I never bothered because gently caress having to micro-manage housing even more. Plop em and forget them, the budget should abstract the upkeep/replacement over the decades.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 10, 2014

• Locked thread