Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The serial adulterer and sexual harasser, yes.

It seems to be that if you want to get a gig at Marvel, you have a history of racism or sexual harassment.

Or if you wanna direct one of their movies, a way to get on their radar is to make a Top 25 list of heroes you'd like to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

Lurdiak posted:

I finally decided to read Loki's ongoing today, and holy crap this is a fun book. Also, very confusing to explain.

Glad to see I'm not the only fan. It relies on some JiM stuff a bit too much sometimes but it's too fun to care. I know it probably won't last long but it'll hopefully be fun the whole way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Or if you wanna direct one of their movies, a way to get on their radar is to make a Top 25 list of heroes you'd like to gently caress.

15 year old Rhyno should be directing pretty much everything.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

gogisha posted:

Glad to see I'm not the only fan. It relies on some JiM stuff a bit too much sometimes but it's too fun to care. I know it probably won't last long but it'll hopefully be fun the whole way.

It's just delightful, the way it deals with tales and legends is super fun, too :3:

I really hope it lasts past the Original Sin tie-in miniseries, tho.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Hot new artist The Internet confirmed to direct Avengers 3.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
So, uh, dunno if anybody mentioned this bit of business yet but 300,000 sounds like a lot of sales for a book about a talking raccoon. I'm sure there's some implications here but I'm no big city lawyer

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

So, uh, dunno if anybody mentioned this bit of business yet but 300,000 sounds like a lot of sales for a book about a talking raccoon. I'm sure there's some implications here but I'm no big city lawyer

The top selling books like Batman usually do roughly 100,000 a month, Amazing Spider-Man relaunch did 500,000 because of being a big #1. 300,000 is a lot for a "small" book like Rocket Raccoon though I guess it depends on how many of those they actually sell.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

New Warriors reached adorable new heights this issue.

There was a lot of good Marvel stuff this week but that was probably my favorite issue. Just so much fun.

"These are our new friends, Jake Waffles and Mister Whiskers!"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I was musing about this on Twitter yesterday, I think the language used in the article is misleading. Saying "Pre-orders" makes it sound like almost 300,000 people have pre-ordered the book, which I don't think is the case at all. I think that is probably what stores have ordered. As Waterhaul said, Snyder and Capullo's Batman is pulling just over 100k per issue, I really doubt sales on Rocket Raccoon are going to be anywhere close to it. I'd love to be wrong because I like Skottie Young's work a lot, but I just don't think a mini like that is going to pull off Batman numbers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

notthegoatseguy posted:

It seems to be that if you want to get a gig at Marvel, you have a history of racism or sexual harassment.
Absolutely, just look at how it worked for...

I don't really like Brian Wood at all but "serial adulterer and sexual harasser" is laying it on a little thick (in that I don't believe he was married for at least one of the two(?) incidents people called him out on) but where there's smoke there's etc. and sure, it is very very likely Brian Wood has acted in a lovely manner towards more than just the women who have come forward.

But maybe I'm missing something, who are the other racists and sexual predators? I assume there are a bunch of them given your comment.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nick Spencer made some racist comments one time, or something.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
You wouldn't believe the stories I've heard about this O. Writer guy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

Nick Spencer made some racist comments one time, or something.
Oh right. I always forget that whole "using scare tactics to promote some sort of zoning that would help his night club instead of a black-owned night club" bit within the overall weird shadiness of everything else about Spencer. Fair call, Marvel has sporadically published (and is currently publishing) the work of a solid two guys of dubious backgrounds. As they employ what, about five people total, that's a big proportion. I have to assume G Willow Wilson and Al Ewing and Kieron Gillen and Annie Wu and Stuart Immonen and Steve Epting and Olivier Copiel are all MRA anti-immigrant shitheels too, how else did they get their jobs?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nick Spencer is a pretty terrible writer from what little I've read by him but Brian Wood is fine from what little I've read by him.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Nick Spencer is a pretty terrible writer from what little I've read by him but Brian Wood is fine from what little I've read by him.

Read Superior Foes you numbnuts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

Oh right. I always forget that whole "using scare tactics to promote some sort of zoning that would help his night club instead of a black-owned night club" bit within the overall weird shadiness of everything else about Spencer. Fair call, Marvel has sporadically published (and is currently publishing) the work of a solid two guys of dubious backgrounds. As they employ what, about five people total, that's a big proportion. I have to assume G Willow Wilson and Al Ewing and Kieron Gillen and Annie Wu and Stuart Immonen and Steve Epting and Olivier Copiel are all MRA anti-immigrant shitheels too, how else did they get their jobs?

It's not really relevant, but I recently read this CBR article (sorry) about the original X-Men vs Avengers crossover from 1987, and there's one dude in the comments trying to make the case that the right-wing political views of some folks in the Marvel bullpen in the 1980s influenced how they treated at the X-Men as the red-headed stepchild of the Marvel family.

Which is maybe a bit silly, I think (office politics are probably more to blame than actual politics), but I thought it was an odd point to make.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Now, to your question. Well, Warren had decided that 6 issues was all he wanted to do. He wrote 6 excellent issues (the last of which I’m currently inking) and I really am enjoying the hell out of them; I truly am proud of them all. But regardless, there will be no more Warren Ellis scripts, so my choices were to continue on the book with another writer, or step aside and let a new team try their hand.

Well, there you go.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I wonder if everyone knew that going in. If Ellis said from the start he only wanted six issues then I kinda wish they'd have just made it a mini, but I'm being prejudicial.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

Absolutely, just look at how it worked for...

I don't really like Brian Wood at all but "serial adulterer and sexual harasser" is laying it on a little thick (in that I don't believe he was married for at least one of the two(?) incidents people called him out on) but where there's smoke there's etc. and sure, it is very very likely Brian Wood has acted in a lovely manner towards more than just the women who have come forward.

But maybe I'm missing something, who are the other racists and sexual predators? I assume there are a bunch of them given your comment.

Based on when the other incident happened he was definitely married and his wife was either pregnant or taking care of a new born infant. (that's the only one I know about, and that was merely him being a creepy harassing jerk, I didn't know about any incidents of actual adultery).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm reading Secret Invasion, and its supposed to confusing to keep track of who's a Skrull and who's not? Even some fo the Skrulls don't know they're Skrulls.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

Read Superior Foes you numbnuts.
Hey sizzlechest, a mildly amusing sitcom that lives and dies on the merit of Steve Lieber's artwork doesn't exactly make up for several dozen incredibly bad issues of a bunch of other titles.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Hey sizzlechest, a mildly amusing sitcom that lives and dies on the merit of Steve Lieber's artwork doesn't exactly make up for several dozen incredibly bad issues of a bunch of other titles.

Lieber's artwork is good but to say that it's the only good thing about that book is very misleading. It's drat well-written, regardless of Spencer's other lovely books.

Not everyone has to be entirely good or entirely bad. lovely writers write good books sometimes. Long Halloween is still good. poo poo, even Daniel Way has one or two winners under his belt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kaleidoscope posted:

I wonder if everyone knew that going in. If Ellis said from the start he only wanted six issues then I kinda wish they'd have just made it a mini, but I'm being prejudicial.

Ellis is the writer version of Tony Moore: he gets on a comic for a few issues and bails out, with the hope being that people who don't pay attention to creative teams keep reading because they liked the first few issues so much.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I'm reading Secret Invasion, and its supposed to confusing to keep track of who's a Skrull and who's not? Even some fo the Skrulls don't know they're Skrulls.

It's ok it doesn't matter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Ellis is the writer version of Tony Moore: he gets on a comic for a few issues and bails out, with the hope being that people who don't pay attention to creative teams keep reading because they liked the first few issues so much.

What other series has he done that on? I honestly don't know the last comic where he wrote the first issue and didn't write the last.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nevvy Z posted:

It's ok it doesn't matter.

I'm guessing that. I am enjoying Ms Marvel completely schooling the entire Super Skrull army on her own, and the Runaways/Young Avengers storline is pretty great. Though the Anime style artwork in those issues make everyone look way younger than they seem. Molly looks about 6 and Nico looks about 12.

Also loved The Skrull Queen trying to get Tony to think he's a Skrull because all the stupid poo poo he's done made their job easier.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

What other series has he done that on? I honestly don't know the last comic where he wrote the first issue and didn't write the last.

Are we talking about Ellis or Moore? Because if we're talking Ellis, there's Iron Man, Thunderbolts and Secret Avengers as precedent.

edit: his brief Ultimate Fantastic Four run might count, too. Ellis is king of the placeholder run. That's why, though the news about Moon Knight is disappointing, it couldn't be less surprising. Especially since the last time he wrote Moon Knight was in a six-issue placeholder run just like this one.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 6, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Are we talking about Ellis or Moore? Because if we're talking Ellis, there's Iron Man, Thunderbolts and Secret Avengers as precedent.

edit: his brief Ultimate Fantastic Four run might count, too. Ellis is king of the placeholder run. That's why, though the news about Moon Knight is disappointing, it couldn't be less surprising. Especially since the last time he wrote Moon Knight was in a six-issue placeholder run just like this one.

The major reason he did Ultimate FF is because Mark Millar was dieing at the time. I forgot about Iron Man, but the other ones was him just taking over for a spell, lots of people do short arcs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The major reason he did Ultimate FF is because Mark Millar was dieing at the time. I forgot about Iron Man, but the other ones was him just taking over for a spell, lots of people do short arcs.

Right, but the specific short arcs he does are exactly of the kind Lurdiak was talking about. He hops on for six to twelve issues when Marvel wants to boost something's profile, then he bounces. His Thunderbolts run is dope, but it's got "editorial mandate" written all over it.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Right, but the specific short arcs he does are exactly of the kind Lurdiak was talking about. He hops on for six to twelve issues when Marvel wants to boost something's profile, then he bounces. His Thunderbolts run is dope, but it's got "editorial mandate" written all over it.

Also, it's got a C-lister breaking Bullseye spine, it was awesome.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I think that's what he did with Doktor Sleepless, though it's probably a bit harder to get a new writer to come in on your own creator-owned property.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

He was planning on doing it with Nextwave, too, but the sales were so low they just cancelled it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there a handy guide on the Marvel Now trades line for newbies? What you need to know, what's good, what to stay away from, any big dumb events?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's a recommending reading thread actually:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611169

I think it would be easier to just check to see if an event is worth reading, since they have spotty quality. The recent Infinity series was good though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Genetic Toaster posted:

He was planning on doing it with Nextwave, too, but the sales were so low they just cancelled it.

I thought the deal with Nextwave was that the sales were too low to keep Immonen on as the artist, since he was just exploding as an artist at the time, and Ellis didn't want to do it with a different artist.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I thought the deal with Nextwave was that the sales were too low to keep Immonen on as the artist, since he was just exploding as an artist at the time, and Ellis didn't want to do it with a different artist.
I think the deal was that Ellis was always planning to leave after issue 12 and Immonen couldn't stay on for the stated reasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the deal was that Ellis was always planning to leave after issue 12 and Immonen couldn't stay on for the stated reasons.

That's not what anyone ever said. Every time I've heard it it was the story about Immonen leaving because the sales couldn't justify his salary and Ellis didn't want to switch artists.

I mean, that could've been a lie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That's not what anyone ever said. Every time I've heard it it was the story about Immonen leaving because the sales couldn't justify his salary and Ellis didn't want to switch artists.

I mean, that could've been a lie.

I'm sure there was a hard drive crash in there somewhere.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Here's Ellis's actual statement.

He was planning to leave after 12 issues, but apparently that changed towards the end. But then the news about Immonen came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there a handy guide on the Marvel Now trades line for newbies? What you need to know, what's good, what to stay away from, any big dumb events?
Hawkeye, Daredevil, Journey Into Mystery, FF, Thor: God of Thunder, Avengers, New Avengers and Deadpool are all really good.

It's probably easier to tell you what to avoid, and you just pick your favorite characters, most of it's so good.

• Locked thread