Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've rewatched the trailer for the n-th time and I've got to commend CDP Red for the realistic portrayal of weapons, but for some reason Wild Hunt uses really impractical swords and armour. Is it some kind of elven fashion to take weirdo swords to combat? Maybe they got to rely on magic for so much they've stopped caring about having the bast weapons possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

alex314 posted:

I've rewatched the trailer for the n-th time and I've got to commend CDP Red for the realistic portrayal of weapons, but for some reason Wild Hunt uses really impractical swords and armour. Is it some kind of elven fashion to take weirdo swords to combat? Maybe they got to rely on magic for so much they've stopped caring about having the bast weapons possible.
The Hunt is supposedly only a tiny force so looking scary is probably more important for their day to day operations of picking on tiny villages because any real army is going to wipe the floor with them even if they were equipped for actual fighting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

While I don't watch or read Thrones, both The Witcher and Cyberpunk were established IPs before CDPR got to them.

The difference is that GoT is utter garbage.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

On TW1: is it possible to kind of rush through the infamous swamps to get on with the good bits of the story? Or is it going to be the Witcher equivalent of the Mage Tower/Fade/Orzammar where you just have to deal?

You kinda just have to deal. Its not like the Fade in Dragon Age which is one big long boring slog and its over The biggest problems with the swamp is that its huge, full of monsters and you have to traverse it many times for quests items and the main story and to make things more annoying the center of the swamp is more or less "walled off" meaning you cant cut across the center, its really just tedious and is only really a problem due to how much time your gonna spend there.

One way to make the swamp better would be to prioritize your quests so that you can get as much done as you can in one or two sweeps through the swamp which unless youve played the game before or are using a guide is kinda difficult. Personally I dont think the swamps are as bad as everyone complains about (the worst thing about Witcher 1 isnt the swamps, its Dandelion's VA) but then I have a high tolerance for tedium in games. There are some cool things in the swamp though its not all bad.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SpRahl posted:

You kinda just have to deal. Its not like the Fade in Dragon Age which is one big long boring slog and its over The biggest problems with the swamp is that its huge, full of monsters and you have to traverse it many times for quests items and the main story and to make things more annoying the center of the swamp is more or less "walled off" meaning you cant cut across the center, its really just tedious and is only really a problem due to how much time your gonna spend there.

One way to make the swamp better would be to prioritize your quests so that you can get as much done as you can in one or two sweeps through the swamp which unless youve played the game before or are using a guide is kinda difficult. Personally I dont think the swamps are as bad as everyone complains about (the worst thing about Witcher 1 isnt the swamps, its Dandelion's VA) but then I have a high tolerance for tedium in games. There are some cool things in the swamp though its not all bad.

Hmmm, is there some kind of "optimized walkthrough" like there is with the Fade that minimizes backtracking then?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Witcher books also have some low points, and Sapkowski has it easier because he needs to keep the story consistent for only 2 characters. Sapkowski also had problems with many timelines, so he used some cheap tricks Yennefer ending up in some loving crystal. Seeing you here, could I kindly ask you to finish that WitP LP:japan:?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Well, W3 on Steam isn't price gouged for Australians, so even without the 10% off for owning W1 and 2 it comes out as the better deal than Gog. Sorry CDPR. :(

Does anyone know if there are plans to give non-Gog owners a Gog key, like they did for W1 and 2?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

alex314 posted:

Is the Wild Hunt a fallible mortal force? I've never read the books but the impression I got from the games is that they're akin to mythological wardens or reapers of dead souls, in which case they can wear and wield whatever the gently caress they want.

However I much prefer fantasy that keeps it real in terms of arms and armaments, which is why I'm partial to low fantasy. I don't know if the Witcher counts as low fantasy but the gritty and grim tone seems close enough. I hope the Witcher 3 goes back to simpler muted aesthetics of the Witcher 1, e.g.:

as opposed to:

I can't even guess at what those oversized padlock looking things are meant to be or do.

I also hope that the in-game explanations of the politics of the Witcher world are improved compared to the Witcher 2. It was hard for me to grasp the significance of the Pontar Valley because it wasn't explained very well that the region was broken up into multiple petty kingdoms. I knew Temaria and was vaguely familiar with Redania but not the other kingdoms, nor their respective kings or geographic relations. Needless to say I was confused as gently caress when I talked to Dethmold for the first time about a King Henselt whom I'd never heard of. Later when another character brought up "Kaedwan's ambitions" I assumed that was yet another king vying for the Pontar Valley.

I was soooooo happy to find an interactable in-game map of the Pontar Valley at the Blue Stripes HQ... until I tried to read the map and realized it was all in Temerian script gibberish. Freaking useless.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BBJoey posted:

Well, W3 on Steam isn't price gouged for Australians, so even without the 10% off for owning W1 and 2 it comes out as the better deal than Gog. Sorry CDPR. :(

Does anyone know if there are plans to give non-Gog owners a Gog key, like they did for W1 and 2?

If your country has the price gouged on GoG they will give you back that much in GoG credit for buying it from them. I have no idea why they can't just make the price fair to begin with, but this apparently how they are handling it now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If your country has the price gouged on GoG they will give you back that much in GoG credit for buying it from them. I have no idea why they can't just make the price fair to begin with, but this apparently how they are handling it now.

Probably because they have distribution deals in place - distributors that are also footing part of the marketing bill.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You mean clunky combat that is both overly complicated yet somehow tediously simple?

Oh, I didn't mean I thought it was good combat, just that it doesn't weigh down the story much.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Probably because they have distribution deals in place - distributors that are also footing part of the marketing bill.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about physical box sales. That's probably it then.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

theDOWmustflow posted:

However I much prefer fantasy that keeps it real in terms of arms and armaments, which is why I'm partial to low fantasy. I don't know if the Witcher counts as low fantasy but the gritty and grim tone seems close enough. I hope the Witcher 3 goes back to simpler muted aesthetics of the Witcher 1, e.g.:

as opposed to:

I dunno man.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is the Wild Hunt a fallible mortal force? I've never read the books but the impression I got from the games is that they're akin to mythological wardens or reapers of dead souls, in which case they can wear and wield whatever the gently caress they want.

Wild Hunt consist of elves in funny armour (rarely) or more often elven manifestations that scare the poo poo of anyone exposed to their sight. I guess Wild Hunt dudes could arm themselves with whatever they think will look cool, but it's inconsistent with rest of the world. It may be that's the point, theatrics of having weirdly designed impractical swords.

I can't blame Foltest for wearing his stuff, he's a king on an campaign. I'd guess that given his campaign is part of civil war having colorful clothes help keep his image. He spends quite some time keeping the morale of his soldiers up, so he knows the value of theatrics.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Problem is I already have far too many Gog games and any credit I get would just be wasted on games that'll stay in my backlog forever. While it would technically be like 6bux cheaper to buy on Gog when I take the credit into account, that $20 of credit would be wasted.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I dunno man.

Speaking of Hnery the 8th and "realism" in games, I demand all armor have realistic codpieces damnit :mad:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

theDOWmustflow posted:

as opposed to:

This is still pretty modest compared to late medieval fashion, as seen above. Hell:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 8, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

alex314 posted:

Wild Hunt consist of elves in funny armour (rarely) or more often elven manifestations that scare the poo poo of anyone exposed to their sight. I guess Wild Hunt dudes could arm themselves with whatever they think will look cool, but it's inconsistent with rest of the world. It may be that's the point, theatrics of having weirdly designed impractical swords.

It's inconsistent with the rest of the world because they aren't of this world. Theyre from another reality where elves rule and humans drool. It stands to reason theres another aesthetic entirely

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 8, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

theDOWmustflow posted:

The Wild Hunt is explained in entirety in Witcher 2's Epilogue.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Lycus posted:

The Wild Hunt is explained in entirety in Witcher 2's Epilogue.

You can also pick up details during the Gargoyle Contract in Loc Muinne.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Does the steam pre-order come with the additional things GOG offers such as the soundtrack? If not GOG is still a better deal for me in Brazil, provided i can actually pay for it.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

steinrokkan posted:

What madness is this? GoT is a loving treasure.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mad Pino Rage posted:

The Witcher 3 on pre-order sale for 10% but on the Steam store page it was 20% off. I'm guessing this is a glitch? Either way, I'm really excited to play it.

I recently started playing the first game, and I'm impressed with how amazing this game is. For something that came out in 2007, it looks fantastic, the dialogue, the music, the story, and how well the city is done in Chapter 2. I'm almost done with Chapter 2, but I heard the game is suppose to get even better in the next chapters.

Yeah, that city in Chapter 2 is one of the better fantasy rpg cities. So dirty and full of life.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You mean clunky combat that is both overly complicated yet somehow tediously simple?

Compared to W2, which has my favourite combat in any game, up with Dark Souls and Mass Effect 2.

Really? Mass Effect 2?

Combat in TW1 wasn't good or anything, but I'm not a fan of the combat in The Witcher 2 either. It feels kind of boring and clunky and rolling away all the time is okay for monsters but sword fights look and feel pretty dumb.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Doublehex posted:

What madness is this? GoT is a loving treasure.

Given his use of the acronym "GoT" rather than ASOIAF I'm gonna guess he's only familiar with it via the HBO show. And while overall I like the HBO show, it would be really really easy to get the impression that it's generic "lol tits and blood" "dark and gritty" fantasy.

Either that or he hates it because it's popular, being a goon and all.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Thinkin' about major characters we haven't seen in any footage yet. Have we seen Zoltan yet?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Since the existence of other worlds got mentioned, can somebody more knowledgeable than me summarize the Witcher universe's creation myth? All I remember from it ingame is bits about there being multiple worlds that interacted in the past.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I know this is a touchy subject but I can see it maybe being important. Roche path spoilers Could Ves be carrying Hensalts child?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They play up Henselt's fertility a lot and the possible causes for his infertility are all resolved by that point in the plot. I've suspected that Ves carrying the only possible heir to the Kaedweni throne to be a sleeper plot for awhile.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man reading these last couple of pages has reminded me that I've forgotten a large chunk of the details of the plot of the first two games. I hope I'm not too lost come February, it might pay to play through Witcher 2 again if only to finish off the last of my achievements.

Edit: Apart from Trollslayer, gently caress that noise, I'm not a monster :colbert:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Apart from Trollslayer, gently caress that noise, I'm not a monster :colbert:

I will unfriend someone if I see they have that achievement.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there any way to check whether I imported a Witcher 1 save or not in Witcher 2? I'm going to play through the second path and so I've reloaded an old save at the crossroads, but I can't remember if I imported a TW1 save when I originally started.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Since the existence of other worlds got mentioned, can somebody more knowledgeable than me summarize the Witcher universe's creation myth? All I remember from it ingame is bits about there being multiple worlds that interacted in the past.

You're thinking about the Conjunction Of The Spheres. A few worlds rammed together, which is why there are so many really disparate creatures, stuff like Ghouls that have no ecological niche, magic in general, etc... It's a recorded historical event and there are books on it in-game, but some stuff is disputed and everything before it is vague beyond "grand elven/dwarf civilizations, humans may or may not have destroyed their own world." And the Conjunction is when Humans showed up, hence all those elven ruins you see in TW2.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is there any way to check whether I imported a Witcher 1 save or not in Witcher 2? I'm going to play through the second path and so I've reloaded an old save at the crossroads, but I can't remember if I imported a TW1 save when I originally started.

Check if you have D'yaebl, Aerondight, or the Raven Armor in your inventory. Those are all items that get imported from a Witcher 1 save. Also, having Aerondight means you don't have to craft a new Silver Sword at the beginning of Act 1, so if you remember not crafting one, you imported a save.

**You might also have gotten a letter from Thaler, it would show up in your completed quests as "got a letter from the spymaster in Vizima," or something like that.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 8, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

theDOWmustflow posted:

as opposed to:

I can't even guess at what those oversized padlock looking things are meant to be or do.

I also hope that the in-game explanations of the politics of the Witcher world are improved compared to the Witcher 2. It was hard for me to grasp the significance of the Pontar Valley because it wasn't explained very well that the region was broken up into multiple petty kingdoms. I knew Temaria and was vaguely familiar with Redania but not the other kingdoms, nor their respective kings or geographic relations. Needless to say I was confused as gently caress when I talked to Dethmold for the first time about a King Henselt whom I'd never heard of. Later when another character brought up "Kaedwan's ambitions" I assumed that was yet another king vying for the Pontar Valley.

I was soooooo happy to find an interactable in-game map of the Pontar Valley at the Blue Stripes HQ... until I tried to read the map and realized it was all in Temerian script gibberish. Freaking useless.

Aren't the maps in glagolitic runes?

As to Foltest, I got the feeling that was his fancy King armour. You want to be visible when you're leading from the front, tally ho pip pip and all that.

Foltest is pretty much my favourite fantasy king.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cheston posted:

Check if you have D'yaebl, Aerondight, or the Raven Armor in your inventory. Those are all items that get imported from a Witcher 1 save. Also, having Aerondight means you don't have to craft a new Silver Sword at the beginning of Act 1, so if you remember not crafting one, you imported a save.

I'm guessing they don't have any of it. I think all the import equipment is surpassed by the time you get to Crossroads, so they probably would've sold everything.

Cheston posted:

**You might also have gotten a letter from Thaler, it would show up in your completed quests as "got a letter from the spymaster in Vizima," or something like that.
You get the letter from Thaler in a default game, so that's not gonna do it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 8, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cheston posted:

Thanks. I'm using a Witcher's silver sword still, so I'm guessing I didn't import. I'll just restart, I suppose - it's not like Act 1 is that long.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Slashrat posted:

Which one?

According to the Elves, the gnomes/dwarves are the oldest races on the Continent, and have been there even before they arrived. The Elves arrived a long time ago from "a distant land" on "white ships that flew in the sky", and quickly began a peaceful coexistence with the other Elder Races. According to the Elves, they were created, not evolved like the humans that came later.

Humanity as a whole arrived during an event called the Conjunction of the Spheres, where the human world/the world of the Witcher got way to close, and things were able to cross the barriers. This was when humanity learned how to use magic, and also when monsters started coming in to play. Almost every monster type in the world of the Witcher came from the human world, which was apparently destroyed by something the humans did.

The Wild Hunt's existence is ( probably major Witcher 3 spoilers ) they are the other group of Elves that decided to not settle down, but instead become intergalactic racist murderers. They go from world to world wiping out any life that isn't up to their standards before moving on.

The common theory that most people have is that the setting is actually a post apocalyptic one. The Elves are human astronauts/biomodders/ecoterrorists ( who knows which, but all their differences would be fantastic biomods for astronauts trying to survive space/settle new worlds ) that saw the writing on the wall and left Earth on spaceships, hence the "flying white ships" to the Dwarves/Gnomes. A few thousand years after that, the Human race finally did itself in and nuked the planet, creating monsters and destroying what was left. In desperation they caused the Conjunction of the Spheres, creating an event that allowed them to escape, but also allowed all the monsters to escape.

This is also likely why humans/elves can reproduce, but neither humans or elves can reproduce with gnomes/dwarves. It also explains the abundance of advanced tech randomly appearing in the world of the Witcher.

Probably not the origin story you were expecting, but hey!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Personally, I don't think I'd bother unless I had a pro-Order save and I really wanted to see Siegfried.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm so excited for the Witcher 3. I'm thinking about trying a insane mode play through in the Witcher 2. Does anyone have any tips before I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
So what's the joke with Yennefer and barely knowing her?

Not a huge lore man, I just play for the fun.

• Locked thread