Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Oh, this is the best way this could possibly end. She just cuts open the comic because her son isn't interested in things like having a nice collection, he just likes them there comics. This could only be better if she presents this collection to her son (he's alive and deployed, not dead, right?) and he thumbs through it to find this issue he knows is super rare, and suddenly realizes what condition the comic was in before his mom crammed it haphazardly into the storage box without a sleeve.

And he sighs and nods and thanks his mom and dies a little on the inside because he had no chance of owning such a rare comic in perfect condition through his own means. He knows it's a beautiful gesture that she completed his collection, but he also is completely unsurprised she didn't bother putting the effort into learning a single thing about actual comic collecting before she did it, which has defined his entire life growing up with her as a mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Wouldn't the British Government have the birth records for these guys? That should be right there, that he has a twin, and should therefore have come up in a routine examination of his relatives. This shouldn't be a surprise to these detectives.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think there'd be less stress on the magician's code of secrecy if the answer was "I just used magic."

Illusions, Michael.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Pearls Classic-1/8/02

igtenos55
Jun 14, 2001

It was pretty neat to see Bill Watterson's art in those Pearls strips the last few days. Never really followed the strip much myself.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

The Sphinxster posted:

I'm betting on beauty tips.

That happened once before, I think back in the 80s. Original Berniece was drawn even more aggressively plain than now, with thick glasses and lank straight hair. There was a plotline where Tiffany gave her a makeover (iirc just to be nice, that bitch)and she became all glam and gorgeous and popular and then she decided that was all too shallow for her and stopped dressing up and went back to being Luann's dowdy friend. The contacts and frizzy perm were the only things she kept from the makeover.

Why do I remember things like this. :( I could have used that brain space for something worthwhile while I was studying for my last certification test.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 7, 2014

Hamagic
Jul 2, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Getting Watterson is quite a coup, and, like others have said, I do enjoy the Sunday pun strips. I don't think PBS is bad, just not as good as it used to be and maybe running out of things to do to keep it fresh. I'd even go so far as to call myself a fan. Pastis seems like a cool guy too. There are far worse strips and I'd probably be pissed if PBS was canceled and something like--I don't know--Tank McNamara was still around.

Here are a few more strips that should be canceled.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

The faces in the last panels of Mary and Rex are amazing. I for one hope they never get cancelled

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bonestructure made me read Luann Againn to find "aggressively plain Bernice". Bonestructure is lucky I hate myself that much. (Some time in the godforsaken 1980s.)

Tiffany also gave Gunther a makeover a few years ago and it was...well, a partial success. (2005)

Before, he was a four-eyed goober. Now he's a beady-eyed goober! It's an improvement! Admit I'm right!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Well let's be fair here, the Star Wars prequels really were that bad.

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Wanamingo posted:

Usually in media that paints strokes that broad, the usher's wearing gloves, though...

I mean, that's a silly hole in his logic, but gently caress it, man, this is already a world where everyone is as stereotypical as possible for their job and hobbies.

Dishonorable Disco
Dec 22, 2009

the sun always shines on TV

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo, in which the servant of the press makes friend wherever he goes. (June 9, 1956)

Droodles (June 9, 1956)

Out Our Way (February 4-5, 1925)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

It's like Scary Movie 3 when the officers hat keeps getting larger every time they cut to her. So what happened in ZNJ over the last few weeks?

• Something poked holes in his brain. No reason seems to be given and no damage done.
  • Two strange scantily clad assassins or something are now some lady's personal assistants.
  • The client plays a game where her entire family tries to kill her and then hires ZNJ to find out who is killing her.
  • HARV turned 8 bit for some reason.

I loving hate this strip.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Helicity posted:

It's like Scary Movie 3 when the officers hat keeps getting larger every time they cut to her. So what happened in ZNJ over the last few weeks?

• Something poked holes in his brain. No reason seems to be given and no damage done.
  • Two strange scantily clad assassins or something are now some lady's personal assistants.
  • The client plays a game where her entire family tries to kill her and then hires ZNJ to find out who is killing her.
  • HARV turned 8 bit for some reason.

I loving hate this strip.

The general idea of a private detective being hired to investigate a murder only to find out that the client just wanted him to act as a referee in their killing-and-regenerating game could be really funny, if the writer had any sense of comedic timing or narrative pacing at all. Too bad he doesn't!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LvK posted:

Usually in media that paints strokes that broad, the usher's wearing gloves, though...

I mean, that's a silly hole in his logic, but gently caress it, man, this is already a world where everyone is as stereotypical as possible for their job and hobbies.
The usher could have also only touched the half of the ticket he took.

Helicity posted:

I think those weren't literal, they were representations of his missing memories of being on the space station or whatever the first time around. And I think the House Computer erased his memories of finding the Dead Whatsername Storage, which he did because

um.

:iiam:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

If this turns out to be the actual plot, I'll never edit another cartoon strip again.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Say Nothing posted:

If this turns out to be the actual plot, I'll never edit another cartoon strip again.

No, because this would actually be interesting as a plot and would involve character growth that doesn't involve Tiffany being an nonredeemable rear end in a top hat.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Geech has strong opinions about hair.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Yeah just look at how friendly those animals are to each other. It's adorable!

Also, I assume that's Tommie. It appears the artist just gave up.

F Minus

Mary Worth

She doesn't really care about the flowers. She just doesn't want to listen to her parents have sex.

Rex Morgan MD

Shut up, Gil.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Edward looks like Bobby Hill.

Scary Gary

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
DOGG

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm definitely not brave enough to do this.

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm definitely not brave enough to do this.
I'm a minute in and I already have diabetes of the soul.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ghostlight posted:

I'm a minute in and I already have diabetes of the soul.

Yeah, I got that far and quit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Wanamingo posted:

I haven't been to a single movie that actually had an usher. Even for plays and musicals, I've had plenty of ushers that for one reason or another didn't directly touch my ticket.

edit: Unless they mean the person who stands in the legit theater entrance and rips your ticket in half, which I've never seen anyone call an usher. That'd be somewhat reasonable, though.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 8, 2014

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

There's a theater nearby my house where the person that sells you the ticket also tears it in half before handing it to you.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I'm glad that at least we could eliminate the suspect with no alibi at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kismet posted:

I'm glad that at least we could eliminate the suspect with no alibi at all.
It was clearly #1. Alibi Algie strikes again.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts, featuring Good Ol' High Intensity Lucy. (June 11, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean gives you the payoff you knew was coming...

Classic Popeye Sunday (c. 1942)

Beginning this week, Sunday Pogo pays cockeyed tribute to one who came before. (June 1, 1969)

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1942 or in the neighborhood)

Out Our Way (February 6-7, 1925)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You want new, funny comics? You should Be Happy with What You Have Comix.

Pooch Café

Chazz is almost Foobian in how much he hates his dog for being a dog right now.

Ballard Street

I'm Gene.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Shut up, Gil.

Good Lord! Bobby Hill's in Rex Morgan! :v:

Eh, ok.

Heavenly Nostrils is back on track.

:stare:

Zits

:smith:

:suicide:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It's been a traumatizing 24-hours for us all. Let's look at some animals that don't have freakishly huge SPCA commercial eyes or represent a creepy subculture.

Cow and Boy

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A couple more Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll, I hope people dig this.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

The Phantom

Pickles

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The Pearls Before Time-1/9/02

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Little King

I know I'm super behind on M Trail, Buz Sawyer and Office Hours, sorry! I will :justpost: them all in a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

• Locked thread