Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Anyone have that screenshot to the effect of "Because Decade doesn't have a story"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Decade is a god awful show if you want any kind of...you know...story. Or writing. Or non tonal clashes.

But it's a great advertisement for the rest of the series. It got me to track down Kuuga.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Serious Frolicking posted:

Anyone have that screenshot to the effect of "Because Decade doesn't have a story"?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Decade is 2 parts awful show, 1 part Shinichiro Shinikura really loves trolling the poo poo out of the Rider fandom (he came up with the Heisei vs. Showa poll for the last Rider War if you remember). Somewhat inadvertantly but he's also a really like, numbers-oriented Producer, for instance, he was the producer who was involved with Tsuyoshi Kida and Shiniji Oishi leaving Hibiki, and being replaced with Toshiki Inoue. (I think he comes onboard literally around episode 31 and brings the new writing staff with him? idk a lot of this poo poo is hard to research.)

But somewhere in there, there's something I really enjoy about it.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 7, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rei_ posted:

Decade is 2 parts awful show, 1 part Shinichiro Shinikura really loves trolling the poo poo out of the Rider fandom (he came up with the Heisei vs. Showa poll for the last Rider War if you remember). Somewhat inadvertantly but he's also a really like, numbers-oriented Producer, for instance, he was the producer who was involved with Tsuyoshi Kida and Shiniji Oishi leaving Hibiki, and being replaced with Toshiki Inoue. (I think he comes onboard literally around episode 31 and brings the new writing staff with him? idk a lot of this poo poo is hard to research.)

But somewhere in there, there's something I really enjoy about it.

On the same subject, is there a reason why they decided to make the Rider World's alternate retellings of the series being tributed rather then just a straight continuation of it like Gokaiger did (stuff like Kiva being a literal child, Faiz taking place in a high school or Agito where all three main riders were the same person)? And for that matter, did any actors who played the previous Riders in their respective series even reprise their roles in Decade or were they all replaced by new people?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I think only Black reprised his actual role.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the fact that they couldn't get the actors to return is the reason for the alternate universes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the fact that they couldn't get the actors to return is the reason for the alternate universes.

It makes Gokaiger that much more impressive the number of important people they got from each series (until the end when they ran out of people and just did a montage).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not as impressive as Ultraman Mebius getting all of the (living) Ultra heroes back. :smuggo:

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Am I remembering right that Takayuki Tsubaki actually came back as Blade near the end of Decade?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

It makes Gokaiger that much more impressive the number of important people they got from each series (until the end when they ran out of people and just did a montage).

My understanding is that a big part of that was due to the tsunami. It ended up getting back more actors than they expected due to a high desire to do something encouraging for kids.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They got back more people but its important to remember that they had, on average, five chances per show at bringing someone back. If red refused you could just move on to blue. With Rider if the main rider refused you were pretty much hosed because that was who everyone wanted to see.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I joked about it earlier, but it's something I really appreciate about the Ultraman franchise. They waste NO chances to bring back the original actors when ever humanly possible and it's always really cool.

Unless it's UltraSeven's actor. I think he just lives with the production team. Dude hasn't left in nearly 50 years.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Baofu posted:

Am I remembering right that Takayuki Tsubaki actually came back as Blade near the end of Decade?

Yes sir! They also had Agito's actor back in the movie and Kiva's actor was kinda reprising his role. Also we got voice only roles from Ixa/the Hopper Bros/and Ouja. All four of those guys also did voice overs for a stage show of all things, so I can't imagine they'd be hard to get back for much anything else.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Burkion posted:

I joked about it earlier, but it's something I really appreciate about the Ultraman franchise. They waste NO chances to bring back the original actors when ever humanly possible and it's always really cool.

Unless it's UltraSeven's actor. I think he just lives with the production team. Dude hasn't left in nearly 50 years.

So he's the Ultra franchise's version of Kenji Ohba, then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Yes sir! They also had Agito's actor back in the movie and Kiva's actor was kinda reprising his role. Also we got voice only roles from Ixa/the Hopper Bros/and Ouja. All four of those guys also did voice overs for a stage show of all things, so I can't imagine they'd be hard to get back for much anything else.

Didn't Den-O's actor also provide the voices for most if not all of the main Imagin in both his own series and Decade as well?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Didn't Den-O's actor also provide the voices for most if not all of the main Imagin in both his own series and Decade as well?

Not at all. The Imagin each have their own VAs, which tend to always be back when needed because, well, they are voice actors and thus easier to obtain.

Ryou's actual actor has not come back, hence why his character was turned into a child, and will likely never reappear because he's super-popular now.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

lmao drat wataru

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

We don't even get a proper explanation for the drat belt

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not at all. The Imagin each have their own VAs, which tend to always be back when needed because, well, they are voice actors and thus easier to obtain.

Ryou's actual actor has not come back, hence why his character was turned into a child, and will likely never reappear because he's super-popular now.

I think this was because he collapsed a lung filming Den-O and his agent was like "No way."

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Blaze Dragon posted:

He was great in the BECK movie (It also featured Tendou from Kabuto!)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though the thing is there were plenty of plot threads in Decade that they could have built a story around but none of them ever really went anywhere. Hell, once they ran out of Heisei Riders they could have had Tsukasa visiting Showa worlds for the second half of the show, maybe ending with the world of the original Kamen Rider. That might have been interesting.

Instead they just scattered them around in movies and original worlds with the exception of Black/RX and Amazon. On the other hand, the series did feature the first Sentai/Rider crossover which wasn't bad (Although technically Power Rangers did it first in this case).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 8, 2014

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Flameingblack posted:

He was great in the BECK movie (It also featured Tendou from Kabuto!)
I think they also acted a drama together playing brothers.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Larryb posted:

Though the thing is there were plenty of plot threads in Decade that they could have built a story around but none of them ever really went anywhere. Hell, once they ran out of Heisei Riders they could have had Tsukasa visiting Showa worlds for the second half of the show, maybe ending with the world of the original Kamen Rider. That might have been interesting.

Instead they just scattered them around in movies and original worlds with the exception of Black/RX and Amazon. On the other hand, the series did feature the first Sentai/Rider crossover which wasn't bad (Although technically Power Rangers did it first in this case).

That's why its bad

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Larryb posted:

When is Tsukasa going to finally try sea cucumber?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm watching Wizard in Magic Land, and so far I think it's better than the majority of the actual show. Not sure if this is indicative of it being a good (as in entertaining) movie or Wizard just being a black hole of good concepts with wasted potential.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm getting back into Agito, episode 25 and OH MY GOD I DON'T CARE. Like it's cool Agito is wearing the G3X armor, that's neat but SO MUCH loving TALKING AND NO PLOT.

That and I will always have an issue with this show, and with Agito in particular. PEOPLE HAVE DIED BECAUSE OF YOUR LAZY rear end. When Kamen Rider Gaim fails to save a life, it's a tragedy that he can't be responsible for because he didn't know what was going on. AGITO HAS SUPER SPECIAL SPIDER SENSES THAT TELL HIM WHEN PEOPLE ARE IN DANGER AND TYPICALLY FAFFS ABOUT THE HOUSE UNTIL THEY'RE DEAD. loving Agito.

But I'm half way through, I'm finishing you. This is why I'm watching Maskman along side it. So I can actually get some Tokustatsu action out of my tokustatsu shows.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm watching Wizard in Magic Land, and so far I think it's better than the majority of the actual show. Not sure if this is indicative of it being a good (as in entertaining) movie or Wizard just being a black hole of good concepts with wasted potential.

Wizard is definetly the latter, as someone who watched most of it save for when the White Wizard comes back revealed a s a guy we didn't know and then the unstaifying ending.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

IT WAS MY PLAN FOR THE BAD GUYS TO MAKE NEGATIVE PROGRESS ALL ALONG.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Why must your hurt me in this way, Waffleman_ :smithicide:

Then again, I have a irrational tolerance and acceptance of magic themed seasons, which is why Mystic Force/Magiranger has a big place in my heart.

I naively thought Wizard would be a good entry into the series, but it ended up being worse than Kiva.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Burkion posted:

But I'm half way through, I'm finishing you. This is why I'm watching Maskman along side it. So I can actually get some Tokustatsu action out of my tokustatsu shows.
Man, you were right, the first episode of Maskman is really terrible.

In other news, I just did episode 41 of Kamen Rider Black, where Black fights a time-traveling cobra on top of a giant clock, using a giant bladed clock hand as a weapon, while being watched by two comic-relief Japanese soldiers from 1000 years ago. The writers were smoking some bizarre things when they came up with that :stare:
But yeah, ever since Plot happens around episode 35 or so, the episodes have gotten really good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I try not to use hyperbole or pull MY OPINION IS BETTER THAN YOURS bullshit.

Maskman is an aggressively average Sentai, top to bottom, where the stand outs are, generally, the fight scenes, the monster suits, and the Ranger suits.

The Five Robo is a great Sentai mech, even if it is a bit clunky. Sadly, Galaxy Robo is the most boring thing in the world with a butt ugly design, and it largely takes over after it shows up so enjoy ole Fivey while you can.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

IT WAS MY PLAN FOR THE BAD GUYS TO MAKE NEGATIVE PROGRESS ALL ALONG.
I'm reasonably certain that this also happened in Dairanger.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

I try not to use hyperbole or pull MY OPINION IS BETTER THAN YOURS bullshit.

Maskman is an aggressively average Sentai, top to bottom, where the stand outs are, generally, the fight scenes, the monster suits, and the Ranger suits.

The Five Robo is a great Sentai mech, even if it is a bit clunky. Sadly, Galaxy Robo is the most boring thing in the world with a butt ugly design, and it largely takes over after it shows up so enjoy ole Fivey while you can.

Are you primarily an 80's sentai kinda guy or have you liked what's come out lately in spite of the number of toys they're shilling for?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Are you primarily an 80's sentai kinda guy or have you liked what's come out lately in spite of the number of toys they're shilling for?

See, here's the issue.

I don't really care for the more light hearted, wacky, comedic Toku shows that much. Which Sentai is to great swaths. I am not saying they are bad-it's just not what I want to watch. The style of Sentai from the 80s, which has rarely been done since then, when everything was really serious and more focused on the action adventure part of things, with small goofy moments happening every once in a while instead of all over the place, that's what I like. Most modern Sentai isn't...really like that anymore. The shift started happening during the 90s, I notice.

Everything I hear about a Sentai like OhRanger sounds amazing up until the retool kicks in.

But something like Go-Busters...I never understood people who pointed to that and said, yes, this is the serious and mature Sentai you've been waiting for, when it opens with the main character being terrified of a chicken in a newspaper.

I really don't like to say that I am primarily an 80s Sentai dude because that paints me as some retro loving rear end in a top hat. It's mostly that I prefer a certain type of Toku over others, and that's something that Sentai has veered away from since then. Which is fine. You don't hear me poo poo talking Choo Choo Trainger week to week, after all, because I know it doesn't appeal to me and it's not what I want to watch. On the flip side, after Gaim got past the first 8 episodes, it's gotten very good and I'm glad I'm watching it-though I still cringe at some of the more...anime esque humor thrown in.

And of course if you go the other direction and have NO fun, then you're Agito and boring as all gently caress.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

But something like Go-Busters...I never understood people who pointed to that and said, yes, this is the serious and mature Sentai you've been waiting for, when it opens with the main character being terrified of a chicken in a newspaper.
I had a hard time getting past this at first but once it was made clear that the issue was panic in general and that the only thing that made Hiromu panic was chickens, and that was only because of a childhood trauma that was related to his main character flaw of having trouble relying on others, I accepted it fully. If his weak point was SPECIFICALLY chickens with no real logic behind it, yeah that would be loving stupid.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

And of course if you go the other direction and have NO fun, then you're Agito and boring as all gently caress.

Couldn't that be said of almost anything Inoue gets his hands on?

No that's a really awesome way to break things down. I've read a lot of people who make these long and tedious points about how goddamned insulting stuff like Kyoryuger is because it's silly and goofy and whatever. It just gets pretty absurd when they harp on the point that it goes against what sentai "should be." So thanks for not holding the kids show with karate kung-fu kicks to a weird standard, it's nice to see that.

I've only watched Maskman and Jetman for Pre-Zyu seasons. I've watched a bit of the Bioman dub and was wondering if you had a recommendation for some good seasons of sentai and maybe some Kamen Rider too. I've got Sun Vulcan on my hard drive for when I'm in the mood for some :catdrugs: and all of Kamen Rider Black too. It's just kinda tough to get into them for me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Having watched in Magic Land just now, I agree fully with this opinion. If the actual series had been this good...but nope, it wasn't. I don't know if it's because I'm comparing it to Wizard specifically or what, but the movie just felt really good. Haruto's friends actually got to do something instead of just talking and being nice background decoration! The villains actually had a properly threatening plan that could've succeeded!

My only problem with in Magic Land is how there's no explanation whatsoever for Finish Strike (which carries on to The Fateful Sengoku Movie Battle, even moreso there since Finish Strike's ability changes with just as little explanation), and how Infinity Dragon doesn't do poo poo despite being Haruto's coolest form. Apart from that, the movie was incredibly solid, better than its own series.

Sigh, that only proves even more what everyone has said. Wizard: wasted potential.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Does anyone have any comments on the quality of Bad Apple Fansubs? They have the first 18 episodes of Goranger and look like they're releasing at a decent clip.

Also does anyone know what happened to the guy that was doing Blade? The subs were halfway decent (Minus typos) but it looks like he stopped at episode 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Couldn't that be said of almost anything Inoue gets his hands on?

No that's a really awesome way to break things down. I've read a lot of people who make these long and tedious points about how goddamned insulting stuff like Kyoryuger is because it's silly and goofy and whatever. It just gets pretty absurd when they harp on the point that it goes against what sentai "should be." So thanks for not holding the kids show with karate kung-fu kicks to a weird standard, it's nice to see that.

I've only watched Maskman and Jetman for Pre-Zyu seasons. I've watched a bit of the Bioman dub and was wondering if you had a recommendation for some good seasons of sentai and maybe some Kamen Rider too. I've got Sun Vulcan on my hard drive for when I'm in the mood for some :catdrugs: and all of Kamen Rider Black too. It's just kinda tough to get into them for me.

My short list is and always will be UltraSeven, Kamen Rider V3, Bioman, Metalder, Garo.

Though Kikaider is a great show if you can track it down and skip most of it. I wish I was joking. You have to watch the first 5 or so episodes, then skip all of the episodes between that and the 8th to last episode. You do that, you get a fantastic, dynamic Toku with a lot of great plots and fantastic characters and excellent action. You don't and it goes to poo poo faster than you can say SWITCH ON.

Kikaider 01 is out of its loving mind and apparently one big apology about what happened with Kikaider because oh my God it's a never ending joy ride of fun and action. And people dying.

Metalder is more or less a spiritual remake of Kikaider, but this is a show that is defined by its villains. Bioman arguably doesn't have the typical MOTW set up, because all of the human sized threats are characters that are established and stick around forever, but it does have a new giant robot every episode. Metalder has almost zero Monsters of the Week because *THEY'RE ALL IN THE FIRST EPISODE ON*. This show had a ridiculous budget and all of the monsters are milling around or hanging out at the villain base, setting up far reaching character moments and developments for later. There's one that's in the show from day goddamn one who doesn't become important until the second to last episode.

The best episode to try out for Metalder is Episode 10, which is entirely set on the villain's side of things. It's about an old general, Big Wayne, who defects from the villains to lead a peaceful life, but has to fight Metalder to the death to save his student's life. Metalder only appears transformed at the very end for the big fight, giving him this big mythic feel, and there are zero characters that aren't in full costume.

I'll chime in more later with some other favorites and why they're good.

• Locked thread