Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Question for those who have taken the Stanly CC VMware 5.1 course: Is it worthwhile to actually watch the online lectures? From the first couple of them, it looks like the presenter is basically reading the notes from the text. I can read them myself a lot faster.
I just played them in the background while I was doing the labs. You're not going to glean too much information from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Question for those who have taken the Stanly CC VMware 5.1 course: Is it worthwhile to actually watch the online lectures? From the first couple of them, it looks like the presenter is basically reading the notes from the text. I can read them myself a lot faster.

Not at all. I just churned through the labs and got my "pass".

Someone on here also mentioned that they only did a few of the labs and still "passed". Who knows if they are even checking them.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ozu posted:

I just played them in the background while I was doing the labs. You're not going to glean too much information from them.

That's good to know. I'm going to dig into the labs this week.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Doing a VMUG speech, anyone care to listen? on the fence about recording it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Doing a VMUG speech, anyone care to listen? on the fence about recording it.

I watch and re-watch your VMware GUGs so yes, I value and appreciate the time you put into recording stuff.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I watch and re-watch your VMware GUGs so yes, I value and appreciate the time you put into recording stuff.

K I'll speak with hersey and some others make sure it is cool around the board. Should be fine but I might have to cut some poo poo unless this stream is done live *chough*...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I just managed to set up a Win Server 2008 VM domain and successfully connect a Win 7 Pro VM to it. :toot:

Once I'm done with my CCNA I'm going to really crack down on learning Win Server 2008.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

cheese-cube posted:

Does anyone have any anecdotal best-practices for doing Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) on VMware? We're running around 10 clusters with 2-3 nodes per cluster and some work perfectly yet others are a dogs breakfast. All the nodes are running Windows Server 2008 R2, clustered disks are presented directly to the VMs via iSCSI and the only clustered applications are MS SQL Server 2008 R2.

Didn't see anyone address this yet, but I just ran into an issue with RDMs and pathing. Until 5.5 you couldn't use RR. Are you using RDMs or ISCSI connector inside the VM? Check the pathing on them if it is RDMs. Depending on your storage you have to change to MRU or fixed.

I had major latency on the SQL servers.

before: underneath 10MBps read, response time 200-1500ms
After: 120MBps read, response time sub 10ms.

Links:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1037959
http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-mscs-guide.pdf

What to set based on storage:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1010041

TeMpLaR fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 26, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Edit: I am a dummy.

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 27, 2014

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Is anyone using a configuration management tool/framework for VMware that they'd particularly recommend? Host Profiles is nice enough but very limited, I'm looking for something where I can set compliance rules and it'll alert/report for detailed things like "If 'storagebacking is nas, then disktype is thin'". I can easily code odd things like this in PowerCLI but rolling a custom framework for the hundreds of rules derived from our many blueprints would bust my balls.
I haven't had a chance to play with VMware's native Config Manager, so if anyone has used it and has commentary that'd be ace.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Meh, nevermind.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
This may be close to :filez: but is there an electronic version of the VMware IT Academy textbooks? I bought the books, I just find the paper versions inconvenient (like today when they're at home so I can't read them).

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

This may be close to :filez: but is there an electronic version of the VMware IT Academy textbooks? I bought the books, I just find the paper versions inconvenient (like today when they're at home so I can't read them).

No the e books exist and you don't need to be registered for a class to buy them. I do t have the link but I can dig it up.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I barely game anymore and want to start gaining knowledge about virtualization. My gaming PC has a Phenom II X4 3.60ghz processor; if I upgraded it to 16gigs of ram and an SSD, would the processing power be OK experiment with a few VMS (linux server, windows server, and a bit of network simulation) for personal use?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GobiasIndustries posted:

I barely game anymore and want to start gaining knowledge about virtualization. My gaming PC has a Phenom II X4 3.60ghz processor; if I upgraded it to 16gigs of ram and an SSD, would the processing power be OK experiment with a few VMS (linux server, windows server, and a bit of network simulation) for personal use?

Yes, though GHz are pretty irrelevant, and the ssd would mostly be a convenience.

Your processor supports virtualization.
More memory is better.
Fast, non-local storage (NAS at home, generally, or freenas vm) is also good.
Managed switches, clustering, and the rest are pretty unnecessary for you right now.
Your motherboard probably doesn't have esxi support (and you want to use a type 2 hypervisor anyway).

So you're looking at virtualbox, VMware workstation, or installing Linux natively.

Also ask yourself whether you have a real plan for all this stuff. Do you have a practical use for Linux, windows, and "network stuff" right now? Without trying to be discouraging, if you're trying to learn all of these at once, you may want to focus on just one

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

So you're looking at virtualbox, VMware workstation, or installing Linux natively.

Also ask yourself whether you have a real plan for all this stuff. Do you have a practical use for Linux, windows, and "network stuff" right now? Without trying to be discouraging, if you're trying to learn all of these at once, you may want to focus on just one

Thanks! I've had a personal linux file server for ~ 5 years now, and I'm starting studying for CCNA (hence the network 'stuff' (poor choice of language on me). The current server works fine but is 5 years old, so I'm looking to gradually transition file storage into a dedicated NAS and use the desktop as a learning platform going forward. As long as the current gaming PC hardware would be OK for personal use for at least a bit, I'm in no huge rush.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Your motherboard probably doesn't have esxi support (and you want to use a type 2 hypervisor anyway).
Pretty much every AMD motherboard I've ever tried has had full driver support in esxi, minus perhaps the integrated raid. But Ethernet and SATA have both worked out of the box since 4.1 on many many motherboards.

Oggie
May 12, 2001

He's got style, a groovy style.
I'm looking to replace a desktop machine and HP Microserver at home and wondering if I could replace both with a couple of virtualised machines. I would plan to run Win 2012 server for plex/nzbdrone/nzbget etc but also need to have either Win 7 or 8 for day to day desktop use with a couple of users. Now, the bit I can't figure out is would it be possible to allocate the VGA output to a specific OS so that a screen can be connected to the hardware but would only give access to the Win 7 or 8 OS?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Oggie posted:

I'm looking to replace a desktop machine and HP Microserver at home and wondering if I could replace both with a couple of virtualised machines. I would plan to run Win 2012 server for plex/nzbdrone/nzbget etc but also need to have either Win 7 or 8 for day to day desktop use with a couple of users. Now, the bit I can't figure out is would it be possible to allocate the VGA output to a specific OS so that a screen can be connected to the hardware but would only give access to the Win 7 or 8 OS?

Not in workstation, but you can drag the window somewhere and have it in fullscreenmode, or just use unity and the app's look like they are running native.

I run Fedora 20 on my main machine and a windows XP junk box that has word/visio/etc on it

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
As long as you're in the 60 trial license period, can you go back and forth between free license and an actual licensed copy of ESXi/vCenter?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

As long as you're in the 60 trial license period, can you go back and forth between free license and an actual licensed copy of ESXi/vCenter?

Yeah you can swap the license at any time, even when the trial is expired.

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011
When you put an ESXi host into maintenance mode and reboot the host via Auto Deploy, is it supposed to come back into Virtual Center in maintenance mode or not in maintenance mode? Our hosts always came back in maintenance mode previously, and after upgrading to 5.1U2 they seem to be booting back up active and immediately having VM's move onto them via DRS. I've had different VMware support people who have told me that one or the other is the expected behavior, including one support guy who both linked me to and quoted some documentation basically verbatim except for a portion which stated that it was supposed to come up in maintenance mode except he had literally changed two words in his quote to indicate it was NOT supposed to come up in maintenance mode :wtc: It is almost funny except for how infuriating it is.

Edit: We apply a host profile with an answer file that joins the host to an AD domain if that makes a difference.

CtrlMagicDel fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 8, 2014

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

CtrlMagicDel posted:

When you put an ESXi host into maintenance mode and reboot the host via Auto Deploy, is it supposed to come back into Virtual Center in maintenance mode or not in maintenance mode? Our hosts always came back in maintenance mode previously, and after upgrading to 5.1U2 they seem to be booting back up active and immediately having VM's move onto them via DRS. I've had different VMware support people who have told me that one or the other is the expected behavior, including one support guy who both linked me to and quoted some documentation basically verbatim except for a portion which stated that it was supposed to come up in maintenance mode except he had literally changed two words in his quote to indicate it was NOT supposed to come up in maintenance mode :wtc: It is almost funny except for how infuriating it is.

Edit: We apply a host profile with an answer file that joins the host to an AD domain if that makes a difference.

As I understand it, so long as the host profile does not require the user to specify any information then the host will not come up in maintenance mode. If it requires something, such as a static IP, then it will.

Here's the link to the VMware document on the Auto Deploy Boot Process. Look at item 7 under the First Boot Overview for where I found the answer.

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011

Daylen Drazzi posted:

As I understand it, so long as the host profile does not require the user to specify any information then the host will not come up in maintenance mode. If it requires something, such as a static IP, then it will.

Here's the link to the VMware document on the Auto Deploy Boot Process. Look at item 7 under the First Boot Overview for where I found the answer.

Yeah, that seems reasonable. It looks like Hersey has a blog post confirming that behavior is normal: http://www.vhersey.com/2012/04/vsphere-auto-deploy-host-profiles-and-answer-files/

I haven't patched ESXi before and all I've seen is the opposite behavior so when I saw it behaving differently I assumed it was a bug, but I guess I've been living with the bug all along.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CtrlMagicDel posted:

Yeah, that seems reasonable. It looks like Hersey has a blog post confirming that behavior is normal: http://www.vhersey.com/2012/04/vsphere-auto-deploy-host-profiles-and-answer-files/

I haven't patched ESXi before and all I've seen is the opposite behavior so when I saw it behaving differently I assumed it was a bug, but I guess I've been living with the bug all along.

Actually was just about to link to that.

Hersey's a cool dude, we work together for our college.

We worked on this today, it doesn't look like much but man it's the best it's looked in 4 years. We killed half the flying spaghetti monster.

Basically all I have to work with 60k budget is on the way... some time....

I can probably record my VMUG presentation if anyone is interested. Hersey and I are both presenting.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 8, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I spy Netgear and Linksys switches

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Caged posted:

I spy Netgear and Linksys switches

We are moving those off to dual 3750x's, they were bought before we had a say in things.

Hopefully we can get some 10G uplinks for the EMC I specc'ed out, I'd like a nimble CS220/CS240 but eh.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Are you charging your cell phone via the server?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Are you charging your cell phone via the server?

No Hersey is like amazed by this for some reason or another;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379025

I think just use unetbootin to a USB 3.0 drive, but eh boot loaders on an HDD are way cooler or something; besides the IOPS of a USB and seek time are way better on flash than a HDD.

Oh he has a blog post about it http://www.vhersey.com/2013/01/cool-new-toy-zalman-ve-300/ that doesn't surprise me

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 8, 2014

three
Aug 9, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

No Hersey is like amazed by this for some reason or another;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379025

I think just use unetbootin to a USB 3.0 drive, but eh boot loaders on an HDD are way cooler or something; besides the IOPS of a USB and seek time are way better on flash than a HDD.

Oh he has a blog post about it http://www.vhersey.com/2013/01/cool-new-toy-zalman-ve-300/ that doesn't surprise me

That actually is pretty freaking cool. May get me one.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

That actually is pretty freaking cool. May get me one.

unetbootin does the same thing for FREE.

May I repeat FREE, it's not a cool thing that you can install and mount an ISO from a boot loader. ARGH

It does NOTHING new that is already available to people right now but charges you a 50 dollar charge to do what you can easily do for free! How the gently caress is it cool to install a boot loader that mounts an ISO image holy poo poo isn't this like 5 year old tech?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 8, 2014

three
Aug 9, 2007

Being able to store ISOs and mount them directly from the same place without having to burn them and apparently a scroll wheel to go through the ISOs like an iPod seems pretty handy to me.

Not sure why you want to launch burn an ISO every time instead?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Being able to store ISOs and mount them directly from the same place without having to burn them and apparently a scroll wheel to go through the ISOs like an iPod seems pretty handy to me.

Not sure why you want to launch burn an ISO every time instead?

Unetbootin gives you the same option to store things in a fat32 format and takes less effort to scroll through, you literally put it in the /iso folder. Unetbootin gives you the same poo poo this zalman does for FREE. FREE!

Seriously why burn an iso any more?

Last time I did ISO was because hersey's usb drive wouldn't mount on G6's and some G8's.

three
Aug 9, 2007

I've never heard of unetbootin letting you boot to a selection screen and pick the ISO. I've only used it to burn directly to USB.

I just browsed their homepage and didn't see it easily.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

I've never heard of unetbootin letting you boot to a selection screen and pick the ISO. I've only used it to burn directly to USB.

I just browsed their homepage and didn't see it easily.

oh I dick around with a bunch of poo poo.

It's like today, hersey wanted to use nexenta as a storage accelerator, single point of failure on bare metal, but gently caress it because eh I roll with it because it's a waste of breath... I'll admit I was rusty on, but I realized drinking solves hard questions on solaris.

Personally I'd I/O Dpath the controllers and network, set reservations, and gently caress it back it up with VADP but nah performance loss of a ZFS storage acceloratore with 128GB ram + DIO SSD controller + 8 procs is bad got classes 4 days a week.

I gain some VDP backup, the ability to reboot and move, and many other things. Looks like when I make it to working in charlotte and Varrow(probably) I'' be making trips up to HR.

I'd argue many points with the design we have worked on but I just don't feel it.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 8, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Apparently VMWare is bringing in some money these days because they paid The Onion to make some commercials for them.

http://www.theonion.com/sponsored/guardian-angel,98/
http://www.theonion.com/sponsored/support-group,100/

This thread is my Guardian angel.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Apparently VMWare is bringing in some money these days because they paid The Onion to make some commercials for them.

http://www.theonion.com/sponsored/guardian-angel,98/
http://www.theonion.com/sponsored/support-group,100/

This thread is my Guardian angel.

You think that is bad. They have recently been doing thing on campus to try to make it more fun to work there. We have had Colbie Callat and Chris Daughtry come do concerts this year.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DevNull posted:

You think that is bad. They have recently been doing thing on campus to try to make it more fun to work there. We have had Colbie Callat and Chris Daughtry come do concerts this year.

Maybe you can make some marketing guy's day and let him/her know that I think of YOU as my VMWare guardian angel, just like in the commercial. I do mean it kind of like in the commercial though, the last thing I want my coworkers to do is type SomethingAwful into google and see something hosed up like tribute.avi

Edit:
But seriously, The Onion is like my favorite thing, and I'm glad VMWare sent some money their way, it'll help them finance more amazing stuff like Sex House.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
So what are tall doing with vms that something like a cloud provider like aws or azure can't or won't do? I'm curious here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Malcolm XML posted:

So what are tall doing with vms that something like a cloud provider like aws or azure can't or won't do? I'm curious here.

Not paying ridiculous amounts of money to run them.
Pets instead of cattle.
Controlling sensitive data.
Nested virtualization.
Consolidating old hardware.
VDI.

AWS/Rack space/Azure whatever are really terrible if your environment doesn't ever need to be publicly accessible and you already have an investment in hardware, or you don't think you'll need to rapidly scale, or you're running non-cloud models (domain controllers, SQL Server, and other "pets" which can't or aren't deployed with puppet/salt/whatever).

One month's bill from many AWS shops will buy a reasonable virtualization environment. Two months lets you add a SAN. It doesn't make sense if you've already invested in a datacenter or server room (which is by far the largest cap ex), or if you're somewhere you can cheaply colo it.