Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just started watching this for shits and.... They basically plagiarized the entire movie to make this game. The voice, the clothes, the creepy opening scene on an L train. Dear god it's disturbing.

And of course, the free movie on Netflix is miles better than the $60 game.

I'm pretty sure you can't retroactively plagiarize something. The first trailer for Watch Dogs came out during E3 2012 and that movie didn't show up before late 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Are any of the QR codes gated behind story progress? Because otherwise I think I have a bug because I've done 15 but can't find the last one.

Once you get the Pawnee CtOS tower, nothing is hidden. Even without the tower collectibles aren't gated, they just don't show up on your map. Sometimes a bunch of clustered icons will hide each other. I had to look up a guide for the last shipping crate I needed because its icon was partially hidden on the map.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I've had at least one instance of an icon hiding behind another on the map. In particular, the blue icons will cover up stuff like QR codes and hot spots. None of them are story gated.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Are any of the QR codes gated behind story progress? Because otherwise I think I have a bug because I've done 15 but can't find the last one.

If its like the Arms crates collectables, yes. The last "item" is the mission you unlock, which is gated behind game progress.

Speaking of collectables, the missing persons. I have 5/7 (the seventh being the mission). Where the hell is the sixth? There's no icon on the map...so I'm assuming Pawnee? I found one in a cabin (Thanks trailing mission!). Is there another in Pawnee?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just started watching this for shits and.... They basically plagiarized the entire movie to make this game. The voice, the clothes, the creepy opening scene on an L train. Dear god it's disturbing.

And of course, the free movie on Netflix is miles better than the $60 game.

I was wondering why Damien looked like Ron Pearlman

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

ymgve posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't retroactively plagiarize something. The first trailer for Watch Dogs came out during E3 2012 and that movie didn't show up before late 2012.

That doesn't mean much, seeing as how Gearbox literally stole the art direction from an animated short only a few scant months before the game was due out. It's a distinct possibility that the movie could have inspired a sizable portion of the game's feel and story.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Vanderdeath posted:

That doesn't mean much, seeing as how Gearbox literally stole the art direction from an animated short only a few scant months before the game was due out. It's a distinct possibility that the movie could have inspired a sizable portion of the game's feel and story.

Gearbox only added cel shading to the game which was not a major overhaul. Pretty much everything that Watch Dogs shares with the movie was already in the 2012 reveal.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

So if I'm in a story mission and a police scan starts, but there's no way to escape it because I'm "supposed" to get into a full chase and escape THAT, even though the outcome is essentially exactly the same, why bother with the scan at all? I just wasted a bunch of jam coms on a totally pointless exercise.

Also there was another part of the mission where it told me to get away from something, but when I got in a car and drove off it told me to get back in the mission area.

Why is the main quest in every open world Ubisoft game (if not every open world game) always total garbage?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Tempo 119 posted:

Why is the main quest in every open world Ubisoft game (if not every open world game) always total garbage?

The people that make the main story missions in most open-world games seem to either not understand what makes those games truly enticing, or don't care and just want to use them as excuses to shove their oh-so-great video game story in people's faces. Or maybe they just lack the grace and design intelligence to realize that you can (and should only) remix the game's rules to keep things fresh, instead of outright breaking them just to seem "dramatic". Hell, even Blacklist pulled both forced-stealth and forced-action bullshit just to hamfistedly ~raise the stakes~, and that game was entirely centered around multiple playstyles!

Also, Watch Dogs especially highlights how Ubisoft really can't handle that whole "let's throw all of our studios at it" strategy as well as they like to think. Not only has it kind of homogenized the game's personality and bloated it with lots of boring fluff, it's also probably why the game is so wildly inconsistent in every way imaginable. It really feels like there was just no communication at all between some of the developers.

Moartoast fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 8, 2014

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

I actually wanted to ask the same thing. I'm at 5/7 for the serial killer investigations and no more are on the map. I KNOW there are two in pawnee, but they aren't showing up yet. I'm guessing it's gated, but I wonder when the rest unlock.

Also, if we have the deluxe, what type of mission is "Signature Shot"? Its supposed to open after all the towers are unlocked, but I have no idea where it is, is it just a marker mission on the map, and what type? Gang hideout? Also things like the breakthrough pack - where the gently caress are these missions? Are they gated too?

Edit: Nevermind. The other posts came in between starting writing this and actually finishing it. I'll just look them up if I need to.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I just finished a mission, and Jordi called to tell Aiden there was a bunch of fixers incoming. Aiden shrugged it off and immediately the "you are being invaded" notification popped up. With such perfect timing I thought it had to be another fake hack so I didn't take it seriously and just waited for the thing to shrink enough and show me where the NPC was. Turns out it was real and I lost a bunch of poo poo, and then I had to listen to the whole phone call from Jordi again because it got interrupted half a second from the end. gently caress everything.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tempo 119 posted:

I just finished a mission, and Jordi called to tell Aiden there was a bunch of fixers incoming. Aiden shrugged it off and immediately the "you are being invaded" notification popped up. With such perfect timing I thought it had to be another fake hack so I didn't take it seriously and just waited for the thing to shrink enough and show me where the NPC was. Turns out it was real and I lost a bunch of poo poo, and then I had to listen to the whole phone call from Jordi again because it got interrupted half a second from the end. gently caress everything.

No offense, but that's loving hillarious.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

No offense, but that's loving hillarious.

I know :sigh:

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Hey if anybody wants to do Online shenanigans tonight on PS4 add me on PSN, name's Stumpalitious on there just like here.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason the Pawnee QR code wasn't showing up for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The last main mission is so loving bad that I don't know if I am going to bother finishing this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

The last main mission is so loving bad that I don't know if I am going to bother finishing this game.

Don't then? It gains you nothing except an awful cutscene. Just gently caress around with the city and do MP to your hearts content.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The real payoff for the main story is the credits cutscene where the Psychiatrist is talking to the news anchor about writing a book about Aiden "COMPLEX MYSTERY BATMAN"

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 8, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I really liked the last mission.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I actually think the writing has been much better for this game than any of the ACs. With the exception of some early scenes with BadBoy, writing and particularly, voice acting, has been fairly nuanced and well-done.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I finished the story a few days ago, and overall I thought it was a pretty good story, even if some of the individual scenes were badly written and acted, and there being a few plot holes/weird logic near the end. It's also weird to me that everyone thinks Aiden is supposed to be thought of as heroic, when the game actually calls him out for being a bad person. The story is a neo-noir presenting a tale of corruption, greed, and selfishness with Aiden being the protagonist, but not the hero.

Full story spoilers ahead:

Aiden is a violent, alienated criminal who lives in a fantasy world in his own head where he recasts his actions as those of a heroic vigilante. It's implied that his father was an IRA terrorist whom Aiden idolized, and when he grew up to be like his father, his own mother told Aiden she was ashamed of what he had become. At the beginning of the game, Aiden is the bagman in a straight up robbery that goes wrong. Aiden's greed sets off the events that culminate in Lena's death.

Aiden has zero friends. Never once does he call on an old friend for help, or have any normal social contact at all. Everyone who helps him is either a hired mercenary (Jordi), strong-armed into it (T-bone, Bedbug), or helping him reluctantly out of guilt (Clara). By the end of the game he has no family either. His sister makes it clear that Aiden will no longer be a part of her life.

The most damning scene is when Aiden drops off Jackson at the psychologist's house after rescuing him from the Mafia restaurant. Aiden tries to get Jackson to buy into his hero fantasy by saying "You're like the Healer, [which makes me whatever is the equivalent of the warrior in this in-universe toy line]" and Jacks says "Yeah, except no, because this is real life." It's the equivalent of Aiden say "See Jackson, you're like young Robin, and I'm Batman trying to protect you" and Jacks replying "Yeah, except Batman is a fictional character, while you're a real person killing real people." Aiden can't even get a little kid to buy into his bullshit fantasy.

As for the overall story, it has the trappings of classic noir, where there's a resolution, but the world hasn't changed, and everyone is worse off than they were at the beginning of the story. Nicky has to start her life completely over and because of Aiden she has blood on her hands. Jacks is going to be traumatized after watching his uncle murder a dozen people. Clara is dead. T-bone will have to go on the run again, and if any civilians died during the CtOS outage, that will double down on the guilt he already felt from the deaths in the 2003 blackout. Jordi's favorite suit is probably ruined.

Also, the theme of corruption runs strong through the entire game. The Mayor scandal and his ties to the Mafia, the pending double crossing between the Viceroys and the Chicago South Club, CtOS engaging in domestic spying and experiments with brainwashing, Blume accepting money from Lucky Quinn to start the CtOS project. There's even literal corruption. The video at the center of the plot, and the data and HUD visual corruption caused by Default a later Damien. The game is even set in Chicago, a city infamous for corruption. Aiden is a corrupted version of real-world Batman. Nearly every element of the game is drenched in it.

Personally, I think Aiden is an interesting unlikable character, and the story was good if not necessarily well told.

And if you want to ignore the story entirely, then it's still a fun game with a lot to do, different ways to do almost everything, and somewhat innovative multiplayer that often results in entertainment even when you lose.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

OK. This has happened to me twice in consecutive playthroughs:

I go to a crime scene or just happen across one. The criminal fires off a weapon. A civilian calls the cops and then the cops scan the area. There's no way to get out in time so the cops end up chasing me and gunning me down.

Lame.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

thegloaming posted:

OK. This has happened to me twice in consecutive playthroughs:

I go to a crime scene or just happen across one. The criminal fires off a weapon. A civilian calls the cops and then the cops scan the area. There's no way to get out in time so the cops end up chasing me and gunning me down.

Lame.

Did you stop them and explain that no really, it was the other guy with a gun?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Did you stop them and explain that no really, it was the other guy with a gun?

Wish there was a button to dispose of the evidence.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Despite being incredibly stupid the cops in W_D are really good at pinpointing you as the perp 100% of the time. At least you can always just jump into a dumpster or into the water and outsmart them forever.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Despite being incredibly stupid the cops in W_D are really good at pinpointing you as the perp 100% of the time. At least you can always just jump into a dumpster or into the water and outsmart them forever.

You can jump into dumpsters? Does that work against enemy pursuers as well?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha yeah they can never find you if you are in a dumpster. The ultimate camouflage. You can even jump into it right in front of them and they will be like "huhhh we lost him"

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Haha yeah they can never find you if you are in a dumpster. The ultimate camouflage. You can even jump into it right in front of them and they will be like "huhhh we lost him"

The system works. Thanks for the tip!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does anybody know what camera i'm suppose to be looking through to get the QR code in that hobo place under the underpass? The one that's near that one shop and a bridge to the batcave?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Does anybody know what camera i'm suppose to be looking through to get the QR code in that hobo place under the underpass? The one that's near that one shop and a bridge to the batcave?

Y'know the road that leads into the homeless encampment? Follow it in a straight line, through the encampment and across the water. The camera is actually on the other side of the river, iirc i's actually attached to the overpass.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

OneDeadman posted:

The real payoff for the main story is the credits cutscene where the Psychiatrist is talking to the news anchor about writing a book about Aiden "COMPLEX MYSTERY BATMAN"

And outing that he has a sister and a nephew for anyone who wants to get that 3.000.000$ bounty on him.

thegloaming posted:

Wish there was a button to dispose of the evidence.

Use a Takedown on people who phone (Circle on PS4).

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
If I'm tracking someone do they know? Or is it a case of if I'm successful they have no clue?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

They won't know they are in your game unless they do one of the many things that let you know sombody is in your game (pausing, trying to start a mission/sidequest,phone randomly shutting off, etc.) As for the tailing question i have no clue.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So, how exactly do you quit out of a tail? Loading tips said if you quit out before spotted, no penalty. So I figured when it put me on a different section of city, nowhere near any entrance ramps to the elevated highway the target was on, I'd quit out... But no idea where it was.

Was not an online session option. Was not an option in the online contract app. Nothing. I managed to actually catch up to them in the last loving 10 seconds of timer (looks like they went AFK after blitzing around with a single cop car chasing them), for all of 25 points unlike the 100+ the last several contract accept/phone hacks leading to hacking, which I assumed was because of the contract/phone hack lead in bonus, ugh.

So, how does a dumbass like me just ragequit from insanely bullshit starting locations like the loading screen tips suggest?

For other last ten seconds hacker saves, got invaded in a drat hilly bush filled trailer park up in Pawnee. So I figured I was pretty hosed. Turns out that, of course, they were in the brown station wagon on the street outside I had skimmed over within 4 feet of without profiling at least three times. Had to literally hump the front bumper to get an ID. Fortunately, they seemed to have froze up in panic when they gently crushed me between themselves and another parked car, giving me time to get back up and Recover from clicking the stick and reloading mid fire like a dumbass like up a sweet headshot through the windshield.

EDIT: Accept a contract? Sure... gently caress, he's on a motorcycle, on the loving opposite side of an elevate highway I am, again, nowhere near an access ramp to. Come on game.
EDIT Two: Oh huh, a fast travel option after he got over 1K distance away while I'm wondering how the gently caress to quit this bullshit.. oh it put ME on a motorcycle so I'm obvious, and we're on an island area (western Pier of the Mad Mile), sprint to parked sports car to Hide inside, get hack up to 90%, run away when he initiates pulling me out of the car when he's five feet away from the passenger side door. I get on bike to successfully escape.

You have earned 14 Infamy. Some contract :suicide:

EDIT: vvv There really should be some damage reduction during your prolonged takedown animations. My Brother is farther along in the story content than I am (PS4 copy here), and a good chunk of his deaths I've glanced over to see were from getting shot up by so much as one enemy while he's busy hitting the takedown target with a stick. My favorite one was when the enemy threw a grenade right as the takedown animation was started. Of course, the grenade would have caused a failure anyways from the AI killing it's own boss probably. I've had a criminal convoy I was trying to be clever waiting in the alley with blockers to trap the guys inside, four times in a row, have them cars stop at the street lights by the turn to the alley, flip out, and start ramming eachother until I got the "target died" messaage.

So to make sure they didn't kill themselves, I blew up one of the convoy cars with a grenade launcher earlier down the line :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 8, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How the hell are you supposed to do this mission?! It's taking down that Tucci guy in act 1, whatever the gently caress his name is. So okay, you ID him. Then you chase him until you can use your stupid hacking poo poo to total his car.

loving then what. Because he has a billion dudes and they can kill you in about 2 seconds flat, and that's with the damage reduction from bullets skill. So what in the loving hell do you do to pass this poo poo? God loving drat it, I hate these story missions! And Ubisoft Montreal doesn't understand how loving checkpointing works, so even if you wreck the dude's car, guess what, you start all over from the beginning, have to drive clear across town, have to wait for him, have to start the chase all over...

I've got most of the skill tree unlocked and I can't do this poo poo. I can't wait to see what kind of bullshit the game throws in act 5 if this nonsense is what they think should be this early in the game. I can only imagine how bad it is for people who aren't huge spergs who get side content out of the way as early as possible.

E: Ahahaha awesome, you can't shoot while driving but enemies sure the gently caress can. How you're supposed to deal with three cars full of dudes spraying you with bullets is beyond me.

E: Even better! Ten minutes driving back and forth along the loving interstate, nowhere to loving take cover, finally tackle him, and get shot up because there's about 12 dudes with automatic rifles on my rear end. gently caress this game. gently caress everyone who worked on it.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 8, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Use the same stupid hacking poo poo to total the cars of his dudes? I dunno, it's pretty easy.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Some of you are pretty bad at this game. Do you not use the environment hacks?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Octy posted:

Use the same stupid hacking poo poo to total the cars of his dudes? I dunno, it's pretty easy.

Yeah? So tell me what I'm supposed to loving hack on the highway. Oh wait, there's nothing there.

I finally got it, but I had to quit out, go buy a loving grenade launcher, and almost failed multiple times because I was too busy killing his henchmen to go after him. And now I'm in a wonderful prison break sequence where I apparently keep getting caught by ghosts, because there are no guards near me and I'm not in any prisoners' LoS!

What a terrific game.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

So you used a more powerful gun and problem solved? What a poo poo game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ChibiSoma posted:

Yeah? So tell me what I'm supposed to loving hack on the highway. Oh wait, there's nothing there.

I finally got it, but I had to quit out, go buy a loving grenade launcher, and almost failed multiple times because I was too busy killing his henchmen to go after him. And now I'm in a wonderful prison break sequence where I apparently keep getting caught by ghosts, because there are no guards near me and I'm not in any prisoners' LoS!

What a terrific game.

In regards to the Prison section. Unlike most of the game, the cameras actually give a poo poo if you pass by their view in the prison mission, this includes the one on the floor above your cell. It took me a few goes before realizing this thinking "The guard arrows are not pointing at me, so how am I getting spotted in the high tech security prisoooooh :doh:".

EDIT: Second tip. I didn't bother taking out any guards or anything, I just sneaked around. The only guard I took out for convenience/insurance was In the first booth by the elevator.

I hear you about chasing people when it's on a long stretch of nothing to hack highway though. Of course, piles of environmental hacks can not matter at times. One of the more recent "Hack then eliminate driver" fixer missions I did. I hit triggered over ten stoplight environmental hazzards, only six of them actually hit him but his car didn't give a poo poo (the chase path never passed through any blockers. it went NEAR blockers but they never took those turns). It ended in a long elevated highway chase with at least a dozen sideswips smashing them into the the edge until their car finally gave out, so I could shoot them. My truck looked like it had gone through even more hell than his car at the end. Made me wish for the "Deal more car collision damage" skill, but wouldn't you figure that'd be the 5th Fixed mission I was on which I would need to unlock such a thing :v:

On the bright side, the triggered at 50% hack enemies trying to take me out went all soft in the head and never really came close to touching me.

I've been having a lot of fun, but I can't say the cracks in gameplay and AI don't show at times.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 8, 2014

• Locked thread