Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

NowonSA posted:

I haven't read this yet or seen the anime, but from reading the thread is my assessment of this as Ctrl-Alt-Del: The Anime/light novel correct?

Nah, this is a terrible series, but Satou did put in a lot of effort here. Buckley wouldn't put in effort if held at gunpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

It's understandable that Japan use China as the enemy in manga/ln/anime in the same way America uses Russia for the same purpose, but Japan were the aggressors in WWII when it came to anything involving the Chinese so it's kinda funny that the Chinese are the evil ones.

Yeah, but when the US uses Russia as an evil antagonist it's also usually right-wing and nationalist. And what you mentioned about Japan being the "bad guys" against China in WW2 is kind of a huge difference between this and the US/Russia thing. As just another analogy, it's sort of like a German writing a story where Poland is evil and attacking Germany.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

NowonSA posted:

I haven't read this yet or seen the anime, but from reading the thread is my assessment of this as Ctrl-Alt-Del: The Anime/light novel correct?
More like "Ghost" the light novel. The anime seems to be quite toned down from the source.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For the longest time, I was trying to think of the most succinct way to describe this series. Then, when watching an episode of American Dad I heard the perfect phrase.

"Clunky and expositional."

This show isn't so much a story as it is a sequence of people constantly offering plot background and details with almost nonsensical action set-pieces that are nothing but vehicles for Tatsuya to be an invincible superhero.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Could someone more versed in Japanese culture than I please explain one thing that's been bothering me this whole time? If the guy is part of the Yotsuba clan, why is his name Shiba Tatsuya?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Could someone more versed in Japanese culture than I please explain one thing that's been bothering me this whole time? If the guy is part of the Yotsuba clan, why is his name Shiba Tatsuya?

The character for "four", 四, has several possible pronunciations depending on context, and when used in a name you can more or less choose freely how you want it to read for your case. "Yotsu", "yo", and probably less commonly "shi" are options for its reading in names.
(Because "shi" is also the reading for 死, death, I think it would usually be avoided as a reading in names due to superstition.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

It isn't anything specific to japanese culture. Rather, it is a secret that they are part of the clan. I'm not sure where the name Shiba comes from and if that is actually their legal surname, but certainly Miyuki would go by Yotsuba eventually. I can't even say that keeping it a secret is a bad idea, really. Not liking the Yotsuba clan isn't unique to China. After all, what's to like?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Ohhh, I got that Shi-ba was probably a pun on Yotsu-ba, but I didn't realize that they were keeping their family connections a secret from their classmates (of course they are, it has to be a dramatic reveal for later!)

(Also lol that the sinister nasty clan nobody likes is the one with the unlucky number/DEATH in its name)

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
The Shiba name comes from their dad iirc because he was a branch family member before he got forced to have mage babies with a main family member. Tatsuya will never be called Yotsuba because he doesn't match up with their ~mage genetics sperg~ but Miyuki eventually will be. Upon which she will have the power to name him Yotsuba because ~family head~ so the Clan being dicks to Tatsuya makes no loving sense what so ever, but that's par for the course now.

Also apparently the (dumb) reason why they can even hide in plain sight like that is that Japanese people and companies like naming themselves along the lines of "four-something" because it means they might be connected to the Yotsuba and therefore be someone not to be hosed with because they might murder you for looking at them the wrong way.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

SorcerousHam posted:

Japanese people and companies like naming themselves along the lines of "four-something" because it means they might be connected to the Yotsuba and therefore be someone not to be hosed with because they might murder you for looking at them the wrong way.

I'm just imagining the equivalent in English.

"Hello, welcome to Murder Automotive Engineering!"
"Oh, I say! Are you owned by the Basingstoke Murders?"
"No, no, it's just a coincidence."
"Ah, what a shame! Baron Manfred Murder is a good friend of mine!"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
lmbo at today's episode finding an excuse to get Erika in a sexy maid costume. They know which one's the fan favorite at least.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

lmbo at today's episode finding an excuse to get Erika in a sexy maid costume. They know which one's the fan favorite at least.

That happens in the books.

There's also an artificial hotspring in the hotel's basement because someone told the author that all trips need a hotspring. It's mercifully brief but it's one of those things where the girls all take a bath and one girl starts groping titys.

E: I can't get over how :geno: Tatsuya looks in the illustrations

Realedit:

:laffo:

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 7, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He's as happy to be there as we are to see him!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Namtab posted:

There's also an artificial hotspring in the hotel's basement because someone told the author that all trips need a hotspring. It's mercifully brief but it's one of those things where the girls all take a bath and one girl starts groping titys.

It was also the most uncomfortable one of those scenes I've ever come across.
Something about the music, I think. It was just especially stomach turning.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mods please change my avatar to that picture of Miyuki.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Namtab posted:

That happens in the books.

Jesus christ her waist, where does she put her vital loving organs?

But yeah the frown of indifference is legitimately hilarious.

Edit: He just looks so Eeyore about everything.

"I hope they don't hit on me...but they prrroooobably will :smith:"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Captain Oblivious posted:

Jesus christ her waist, where does she put her vital loving organs?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tatsuya's expression in those two pictures is legitimately funny.

That picture of Miyuki is "oniisama.jpg"

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 8, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The fanservice wasn't nearly that bad. Mikihiko was cool.

Namtab posted:

Mods please change my avatar to that picture of Miyuki.
I dunno, it's sort of cliche but there isn't anything inherently funny about it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

I dunno, it's sort of cliche but there isn't anything inherently funny about it.

Sure there is! That's the expression a little girl makes after dressing up her Barbie (or Ken, I guess) doll with a pretty new set of clothes! :swoon:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Looking at it closely now, it's not the waist that bothers me, but the arms of both of the girls are way too loving skinny.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's a person playing the theme on the drums. It's pretty cool.

Wark Say posted:

Sure there is! That's the expression a little girl makes after dressing up her Barbie (or Ken, I guess) doll with a pretty new set of clothes! :swoon:

It looks more like a blush out of an echi manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That song doesn't really have an interesting enough drum part for a drum cover to be that cool. That guy's gimmick is neat though (working up the drum parts to every anime song). I'm more impressed that he put all the effort towards figuring out all these parts than with the performance itself.

This is a Japanese song with a really cool drum part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkeuG5iwl8E

Also here is some young girl who for some reason is pretty good at playing drums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST2VOEFK748 Totally going to make my child play the drums instead of piano or violin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Erika: "Gee, I sure am glad that you are as emotive as a block of wood. This somehow makes you better than other men."

Then there was that awful scene where they started going on about how Miyuki was the most beautiful girl ever to live even though I can't really see the difference between one skinny anime girl and another.

I keep going back to the idea that someone, anyone wants Miyuki to eventually lead the yotsuba clan. I mean, have any of them actually met her? Miyuki makes it very clear that only thing she cares about is her wooden god, and if she was ever in charge her first act would be to make worshiping him mandatory. Any dissenters would quickly be purged, though I'm sure she would eventually work her way down to any women Tatsuya interacts with. I'm not even joking. The girl is nuts, and the only thing holding her back now is that she lacks the resources to indiscriminately murder people who pay too little or too much attention to her ~onii-sama~. It is kind of unfortunate that Tatsuya instantly regenerates from any injury, thus precluding a nice boat ending.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Erika: "Gee, I sure am glad that you are as emotive as a block of wood. This somehow makes you better than other men."

Then there was that awful scene where they started going on about how Miyuki was the most beautiful girl ever to live even though I can't really see the difference between one skinny anime girl and another.

I keep going back to the idea that someone, anyone wants Miyuki to eventually lead the yotsuba clan. I mean, have any of them actually met her? Miyuki makes it very clear that only thing she cares about is her wooden god, and if she was ever in charge her first act would be to make worshiping him mandatory. Any dissenters would quickly be purged, though I'm sure she would eventually work her way down to any women Tatsuya interacts with. I'm not even joking. The girl is nuts, and the only thing holding her back now is that she lacks the resources to indiscriminately murder people who pay too little or too much attention to her ~onii-sama~. It is kind of unfortunate that Tatsuya instantly regenerates from any injury, thus precluding a nice boat ending.

We'll have to go to our resident masochist for insight from the books. Do they offer any insight on why the hell the Yotsuba clan thinks this is a good idea?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

We'll have to go to our resident masochist for insight from the books. Do they offer any insight on why the hell the Yotsuba clan thinks this is a good idea?

The yotsuba don't see a problem with Miyuki being nuts because Miyuki is perfect, so she can't be nuts. None of her character deficiencies are ever really acknowledged, and she is the top heir candidate because she is good at magic. In a better work this would be subtle commentary on how basing a person's entire worth on a single trait is laughably absurd. Here, it is just bad writing. It kind of goes back to yamato nadeshiko bullshit. Being submissive, modest and demure except in defense of one's family is something of a (toxic) ideal, so we aren't supposed to think there is anything wrong with Miyuki's murderous frenzies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The yotsuba don't see a problem with Miyuki being nuts because Miyuki is perfect, so she can't be nuts. None of her character deficiencies are ever really acknowledged, and she is the top heir candidate because she is good at magic. In a better work this would be subtle commentary on how basing a person's entire worth on a single trait is laughably absurd. Here, it is just bad writing. It kind of goes back to yamato nadeshiko bullshit. Being submissive, modest and demure except in defense of one's family is something of a (toxic) ideal, so we aren't supposed to think there is anything wrong with Miyuki's murderous frenzies.

Good lord this series is loving awful. How on earth can the writer not grasp that Miyuki is worthless for running a family of magical illuminati?

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Because the current head is also worthless for running a family of magical illuminati?

She's the head because she's the strongest under their ~mage genetics sperg~ system. Miyuki will be the next head because she is considered even stronger under their ~mage genetics sperg~ system.

It seems like the butlers do most of the grunt work/heavy lifting of leadership in all the Clans at any rate, the inbred leadership just make the final calls on everything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Good lord this series is loving awful. How on earth can the writer not grasp that Miyuki is worthless for running a family of magical illuminati?

Satou fetishizes the wealthy ruling elite without actually knowing much of anything about them. This is repeatedly proven by how he keeps going on and on about how charismatic Murderface and Woody are without actually demonstrating it in any way. If Satou understood leadership and money, why the hell would he still be a ln author?

Also, the #4 dude in a large extended family with significant scientific, financial, political and military power is a goddamn butler. It is hard to top that as a statement for just how little Satou knows what he is talking about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 8, 2014

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Nah, that "number 4" dude is just the fourth butler. Meaning he has some leadership responsibilities but most of them involve babysitting important clan members.

No, the reality is that it's worse than that. The current head's right hand man is a butler and he literally gives out orders to anyone and everyone in the Clan. In a very polite manner, but the hint is "the Head wants this to happen" is behind everything he says, even if it's not a specific order.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

She likes Tatsuya because no matter what she says to or around him she'll receive the same stony indifference. It's what all women long for deep down! :mrapig:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The worst part is that this seems to be pretty consistently at or near the top of the LN sales charts over in Japan. It's frankly disturbing that the Japanese equivalent of Tom Kratman is that popular.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Sandman posted:

The worst part is that this seems to be pretty consistently at or near the top of the LN sales charts over in Japan. It's frankly disturbing that the Japanese equivalent of Tom Kratman is that popular.

It's really bizarre. Like I can understand why a lot of other popular stuff becomes popular, even if it isn't that good. But this lacks a lot of the tropes you'd normally expect to see and adds in its own bad elements. The only thing that I could see being remotely appealing is the whole magic-technology aspect.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

It's really bizarre. Like I can understand why a lot of other popular stuff becomes popular, even if it isn't that good. But this lacks a lot of the tropes you'd normally expect to see and adds in its own bad elements. The only thing that I could see being remotely appealing is the whole magic-technology aspect.

The relationship between the leads is something that typically appeals to people.

Though I think the characters and story have their own merits anyway.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm willing to bet that part of the reason why the Yotsuba clan as a whole sees Miyuki's behavior without a red light inside their heads going off nearly every drat second (besides the fact that most of them are also probably gigantic turds themselves) is due to the fact that they look at her and probably try to justify her actions with a "Welp, she IS a teenager, so a few silly shenanigans are to be expected".

That or probably they're molding her to be a figure-head with Woody being the one calling the shots and-- hahaha, I can't even finish that sentence.

At this point, I'm just trying to think of some setting where someone actually makes some smidgen of sense and people say "Look, she's so goddamn socially retarded that her brother functions as a sort of emotional crutch; said dude can barely emote as it is and he still finds her loving creepy at times. Yes these kids are our future, just humor us, 'kay? Our current leader is still goofy in the head after that incident, so don't expect any decisions to be reasonably sound".

I'm actually starting to sympathize with Woody here, so excuse me but I'm gonna take a break from thinking about this fetid franchise. :suicide:

The Sandman posted:

There's no relationship. There's just Blando Calrissian standing around looking perfect while his sister Cersei tries to hold out until she gets somewhere private before masturbating to her memories of whatever inarticulate grunt he responded to her with this week.

The tender story of a man and his hug pillow has more depth than this garbage.

WickedHate posted:

I was trying to refer to the incest aspect. That alone probably drives up sells to a degree.

e: Whenever a work of fiction has the distinctive possibility of an incestuous relationship played for titillation / appeal to the audience, I often think about Genshiken and how the audience stand-in perfectly encapsulated how (paraphrasing, not the exact sentence) "People that enjoy that type of games are idealizing such a relationship because they don't actually have a younger sister".

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 9, 2014

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

WickedHate posted:

The relationship between the leads is something that typically appeals to people.

Though I think the characters and story have their own merits anyway.

There's no relationship. There's just Blando Calrissian standing around looking perfect while his sister Cersei tries to hold out until she gets somewhere private before masturbating to her memories of whatever inarticulate grunt he responded to her with this week.

The tender story of a man and his hug pillow has more depth than this garbage.

As for your second sentence, we've already established that your taste is objectively poo poo. There's no need to reaffirm it for us.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Sandman posted:

I was trying to refer to the incest aspect. That alone probably drives up sells to a degree.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

The Yotsuba want Miyuki as the next head solemly because it keeps Tatsuya off their back as the current head is scared shitless of him (and she is supposed to be potentially the strongest magician in the world) as part of our MC godlike talent is that he perfectly counters her personal magic. They even describe him as a monster when talking about him behind their back.

So it's less about Miyuki and more about our MC (of course!).

Also their plan is retarded as once Miyuki is in power there'll be no stop-gag of any sorts to stop Tatsuya from getting revenge or whatever he wants given that his sister will lay all the power at his feet if he wishes for it.

CVE fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 9, 2014

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

WickedHate posted:

Except I'm pretty sure there's better incest stuff out there too.

Hell, OreImo is probably better than this.

Koi Kaze definitely is, but since it actually acknowledges that the relationship is hosed up it's probably not going to appeal to the crowd that just wants to masturbate to forbidden love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Sandman posted:

Hell, OreImo is probably better than this.

I watched Oreimo too and I guess I feel like you do with Mahouka. It wasn't really interesting and had dull plots and characters. Mahouka does those things a lot better.

• Locked thread