Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Davin Valkri posted:

To change the topic, hey, anybody here often hit the same beats with the characters they make for these games? I'm full of bishies, doy, but Battlemaster likes aristocratic-y and slightly arrogant women, Plutonis seems to like petite, angry chibi-types, and Comrade Gorbash's characters are apparently "Almond from Cucumber Quest". Anybody else want to confess?

I just love pet classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh good, my Dungeon World GM wants to switch our game to Strands of Fate. :what:

Sucky to less sucky but anyway.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

To change the topic, hey, anybody here often hit the same beats with the characters they make for these games? I'm full of bishies, doy, but Battlemaster likes aristocratic-y and slightly arrogant women, Plutonis seems to like petite, angry chibi-types, and Comrade Gorbash's characters are apparently "Almond from Cucumber Quest". Anybody else want to confess?

I don't play enough games to know if I have a preference or not, I usually just run them.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Effectronica posted:

I usually play a comic buffoon, but in real life games. I don't PbP.

You are not one of our regulars, so welcome aboard! What do you usually play?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

You are not one of our regulars, so welcome aboard! What do you usually play?

Right now I'm in a D&D 4e game and... nothing else. Hoping to start running/playing stuff more once I stop having to zip around two counties on a daily basis.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I tend to make characters that will cause interesting character conflicts with other characters. This is also why I tend to app late.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I play pretty much anything but I like roguish types and tend to play controllers in 4e :v:

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
I used to be all about the rogues when I started playing, but these days I often find myself accidentally drawn to religious characters.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Effectronica posted:

Right now I'm in a D&D 4e game and... nothing else. Hoping to start running/playing stuff more once I stop having to zip around two counties on a daily basis.

Consider PBP, we need more of those. 4e is super popular here still, too. It is UNCANNY

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Is there really a lack of PbP going on? It seems like game threads are going up at least daily.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

Consider PBP, we need more of those. 4e is super popular here still, too. It is UNCANNY

I've had some bad PBP experiences, but then again, I was mostly involved with running them.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Mr. Maltose posted:

Is there really a lack of PbP going on? It seems like game threads are going up at least daily.

I like to beat the drum for new PBP in general, while all my TG fellows are beloved in their gaming, PBP is what brought me here in the first place and you never forget your first.

Effectronica posted:

I've had some bad PBP experiences, but then again, I was mostly involved with running them.

Yeah, the maptastic nature of 4e makes it kind of a pain from what I have heard.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

I like to beat the drum for new PBP in general, while all my TG fellows are beloved in their gaming, PBP is what brought me here in the first place and you never forget your first.

Yeah, the maptastic nature of 4e makes it kind of a pain from what I have heard.

These were call of cthulhu and microscope, lol!

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sucky to less sucky but anyway.

I keep hearing this around the place. What's sucky about DW?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Davin Valkri posted:

I tend to make witty scoundrels, crazy geniuses or super dark and tormented killers - knights in a fantasy setting, mercenaries otherwise.

I don't know how to say that in anime.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It feels like PBP variety has really diversified over the last year or two. Back in the heyday of 4e there would be like 10 games running and 20+ apps per game. I used to run mostly 4e too, but the last few games I've run have been DW, nWoD mage, nWod God machine, and now Next.

Next has actually been serviceable to run PBPs in since there's less stuff to track. I ran a game of it about a year ago too, it both kept player attention for the duration, and actually completed. Mind boggling.

I want to see a PBP of Urban Shadows, the apocalpyse world WOD-ish kickstarter. All the stuff is available now to backers, I'm sure some goons are in on it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't have a particular aversion to casters or "support" type characters but most of the characters I play tend to be very direct and physically oriented, whether that means a 4E Monk or a cybered-up thief or a straight-up "hit things with an axe" fighter. I also tend to play characters with brash personalities painted in broad strokes...something I realized early on when I started roleplaying is that most RPGs aren't really nuanced and subtle works of high art and they have a tendency to end abruptly, so if you want a character that stands out in a memorable fashion it's better to go big right from the start and then backsolve for finer detail if the game progresses along. The few times I've tried playing silent and/or brooding types it's been really boring.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Roughly 40 percent of my characters are utterly appalled at what the players are doing. Once he becomes numb to the wanton destruction parties cause, he usually pleads with enemies to go away, and not join the hundreds the group has slain n whatever scheme. The pathfinder society version of this guy would often explain to potential enemies that, if these particular pathfinders were sent, it's probably because somebody didn't want to have to bother with prisoners or a trial.

I also gravitate towards trying to make absurd or at least odd combinations played straight. Halfling fighter, half orc wizard, minotaur rogue.

Finally, characters that 'miss the point' or the token mortal. Rifts was my favorite for this. A nightbane, a superhero, a dragon, and an Atlantan spell casting thing? What we need is a traveling academic with no psionics.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bigup DJ posted:

In my opinion, as a game snob, Dungeon World is an interesting concept, but the intentions are entirely at odds with the mechanical base. Apocalypse World's engine is built around emulating fiction, while D&D has evolved into something very distinct from fantasy novels or movies. So they're working at odds. You can see this most clearly in the big difference between combat in AW and combat in DW.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

I don't have a particular aversion to casters or "support" type characters but most of the characters I play tend to be very direct and physically oriented, whether that means a 4E Monk or a cybered-up thief or a straight-up "hit things with an axe" fighter. I also tend to play characters with brash personalities painted in broad strokes...something I realized early on when I started roleplaying is that most RPGs aren't really nuanced and subtle works of high art and they have a tendency to end abruptly, so if you want a character that stands out in a memorable fashion it's better to go big right from the start and then backsolve for finer detail if the game progresses along. The few times I've tried playing silent and/or brooding types it's been really boring.

Brooding types might be fun if you had a) the right environment and b) you played it for comedy and had a selection of Bauhaus lyrics you used as default responses to everything or something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

I've mentioned this before a couple times but honestly the best way I've seen to run 4E in a PbP is instead of the GM making maps and then updating them constantly and the players having to run through a big list of "please move me here and here and then over here" is for the GM to make a map and tokens on a Google docs page and give out a link when combat starts. If the players then have at least basic information on enemy defenses and HP then they can move their own guys, make their own rolls, and track whether enemies are dead or injured for how much or whatever, and it makes things run a lot smoother. In my opinion etc.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bigup DJ posted:

It depends on who you ask. Humbug Schoolbus doesn't like it because it lacks crunch, if I recall correctly.

DW doesn't suck, but oh man was TG infatuated with it for a while as the be all end all.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's relatively good actually, considering it compromises the *world framework as much as it does

I'd call it "serviceable", you can play a fun game with it but it suffers for the D&Disms the creators couldn't part with

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I pretty much used to play exclusively obnoxiously overwrought smashing-types or necromancers, but as time goes by I find myself more and more attracted to just playing whatever the GM thinks is missing in the player base or as the generally-agreed-upon least interesting/powerful type of character to see if I can make it work anyway.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Tried, didn't work.
I do not know whether this meant "you tried to hang out and did not learn everything" or "this did not work," but I also had no luck using synirc.net.

Oh, I tried connecting to irc.synirc.net instead and that did work. I guess I could delete this quote. Nah

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Mr. Maltose posted:

It depends on who you ask. Humbug Schoolbus doesn't like it because it lacks crunch, if I recall correctly.

DW doesn't suck, but oh man was TG infatuated with it for a while as the be all end all.

There is still a lot of love for DW here, really. It has worn down from when the bloom was on the rose, but there is a lot of love for it here. I think the guys who wrote it are around here somewhere, if I am remembering right.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The *world games flow a hell of a lot better than D&Ds in PBP, that's for sure. Initiative means waiting for a player to post, whereas the 'camera' can focus on whoever is active and posting at the time in DW.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
DW goes from an okay game to a great one when you look at all the fan works that twist or excise the residual bad cruft from the original product. The Playbook system lets you circumvent a number of missteps.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

DW goes from an okay game to a great one when you look at all the fan works that twist or excise the residual bad cruft from the original product. The Playbook system lets you circumvent a number of missteps.

I would like to see playbooks that actually do this, because there are a whole lot of them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty much every book from the Dungeon World thread is an improvement from the original playbooks, but a specific example is Fenarisk's revised core books which stripped out all the boring +1 moves with things with more narrative instead of mechanical heft.

This is pretty much the big list of SA approved cool playbooks for cool people, sorted by what cool things they do.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 8, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Bigup DJ posted:

Well, I can only tell you why I don't like DW so take it for what it is worth. Plenty of people love it lots, and will give your reasons why. I have sort of examined my own thoughts on this, and basically it is not rulesy enough for me for it to be interesting as a rulesy sort of game and too gunked up with junk to be a smooth sort of storygame. Like if I wanted to deal with D&Dish stuff I can play Pathfinder and get a fix for that sort of thing, and if I want something freer wheeling I have PDQ and Hillfolk and all kinds of stuff, I guess. I tried running it, tried playing it, and would probably try playing again if the game was right, but I guess it just didn't do much for me.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ok cool, I was worried there was some kind of terrible sickness at the core of DW's mechanics which was loving it up. The only thing that sticks out at me is ability scores and the weight system, and I'd like to get rid of XP and turn Drives into Keys (Basically harder to fulfil Drives which level you up instead of getting you XP).

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

Pretty much every book from the Dungeon World thread is an improvement from the original playbooks, but a specific example is Fenarisk's revised core books which stripped out all the boring +1 moves with things with more narrative instead of mechanical heft.

This is pretty much the big list of SA approved cool playbooks for cool people, sorted by what cool things they do.

I'm not seeing a huge difference here between the Skald and Bard, or between the Fighter and Warrior.

Bigup DJ posted:

Ok cool, I was worried there was some kind of terrible sickness at the core of DW's mechanics which was loving it up. The only thing that sticks out at me is ability scores and the weight system, and I'd like to get rid of XP and turn Drives into Keys (Basically harder to fulfil Drives which level you up instead of getting you XP).

There is a sickness in the mechanics, but it's not one that will bug you for casual games.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
DW's problem is essentially that it's trying to be D&D. And since it was designed that way from the start, the problem is pretty fundamental.

You know how D&D style fantasy sort of just isn't a story thing? People sometimes call it its own "genre", but it's more accurate to say that D&D is sort of the game where you imagine all sorts of cool fiction happening and then you play the game and it doesn't happen.

DW is very, very good at being the D&D you remember playing when you were twelve. The problem is that it's trying, actively, to be D&D, the game where the cool fiction doesn't happen as much in actual play as advertised, instead of being the game you imagined D&D to be before playing it. It sort of bogs itself down in mechanical trifles and boring +1 to a thing rules. Where it shines are all the areas where it breaks that format.

So most of the playbooks people have written for it have moved towards breaking the +1 format, towards exploring how triggers shape play and what it means for a game designer to be able to write a power that says "you can smell the fear of your enemies" and have that also be the rule that literally lets your character smell the fear of their enemies at the same time. And it's really started to take off.

It'd be crass of me to start pointing to products though since I'm involved in a ton of them.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

ritorix posted:

The *world games flow a hell of a lot better than D&Ds in PBP, that's for sure. Initiative means waiting for a player to post, whereas the 'camera' can focus on whoever is active and posting at the time in DW.

Yeah, this seems to be a huge strength of PbtA games in PbP. It'd be awesome to see more games take this approach, or games hacked to work this way.

Speaking of, I think L5R would be amazing for a crunchy sort of PbtA hack.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Effectronica posted:

I'm not seeing a huge difference here between the Skald and Bard, or between the Fighter and Warrior.

There is a sickness in the mechanics, but it's not one that will bug you for casual games.

If your problem is how it's way too close to its D&D base, I could give you a suggestion for fixing that. Here's some previews of the playbooks to go look at.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh my god this IRC channel is amazing

My eyes are open

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gnome7 posted:

If your problem is how it's way too close to its D&D base, I could give you a suggestion for fixing that. Here's some previews of the playbooks to go look at.

Nah, my problem is that the PbtA mechanics used in Volley, Defy Danger, Hack and Slash, etc. are inappropriate for something as zoomed in on combat as Dungeon World by default is.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

TG is the poster child for 'flavor of the month'.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Davin Valkri posted:

I've noticed I have a habit of making world weary mercenary types in almost every game, they're usually all different kinds of classes or whatever, but that's the basic core of each character's personality.

It's weird I never really noticed or thought about it until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Effectronica posted:

Nah, my problem is that the PbtA mechanics used in Volley, Defy Danger, Hack and Slash, etc. are inappropriate for something as zoomed in on combat as Dungeon World by default is.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the moves need to be zoomed in more, made more specific for the nitty gritty DW wants, or that dungeon world needs to focus less specifically on the specifics of combat? Because from where I'm sitting the moves look pretty good for covering a play-by-play through a combat. If you mean you don't want to go play-by-play through a battle in a *World game, then yeah, I can see where your issue with DW is, but I think it's a lot of fun.

• Locked thread