Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The whole 'Oh my god he's summoning' thing might just be played up for drama. I hope they dial it down a bit soon since there hasnt been too much creative card play.

I don't know about that, having a Monarch deck in the show was pretty great and it seems that we'll see a Constellar and Gem Knight players on the future. I'm all for having characters with already existing decks and no just anime-only ones (that's one of the reasons I liked GX so much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm excited about the Fantasia Archetype, personally. Always a fan of light monsters I can drop Honest on.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Senerio posted:

I'm excited about the Fantasia Archetype, personally. Always a fan of light monsters I can drop Honest on.

Enjoy those three Fantasia monsters you've got, then. Since the lead female of the series is the one using Fantasia, it's not likely you'll see more of them. Maybe one or two more, but I doubt it'll be much more then that.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Senerio posted:

Card game jokes.

gently caress Lightsworn.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dexie posted:

Enjoy those three Fantasia monsters you've got, then. Since the lead female of the series is the one using Fantasia, it's not likely you'll see more of them. Maybe one or two more, but I doubt it'll be much more then that.

The three monsters are already a solid combination.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't know about that, having a Monarch deck in the show was pretty great and it seems that we'll see a Constellar and Gem Knight players on the future. I'm all for having characters with already existing decks and no just anime-only ones (that's one of the reasons I liked GX so much)

Yeah GX was great about that, especially the later seasons. Lots of gimmick decks based on older cards like exodia, five-heeaded god dragon, Meteor Black Dragon and the original XYZ Dragon Cannon triplets.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Man the first episode with Mako Tsunami pissed me the gently caress off cus they just invented fake rules that did not exist, like tides and conductive electricity. loving bullshit.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dexie posted:

Asuka and Aki both had well-defined archetype decks though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Justin_Brett posted:

Asuka and Aki both had well-defined archetype decks though.

However Alexis was more or less ignored and her dancer deck never went anywhere.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Yeah GX was great about that, especially the later seasons. Lots of gimmick decks based on older cards like exodia, five-heeaded god dragon, Meteor Black Dragon and the original XYZ Dragon Cannon triplets.

I especially love how in Season 4 there was one character who used a Horus/Royal Decree netdeck, who ended up being the reason that arc's villain was able to succeed. I think. Season 4 didn't really make any sense.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

However Alexis was more or less ignored and her dancer deck never went anywhere.

And Akiza got sidelined for the worst character in the entire franchise. :argh:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Kay Kessler posted:

I especially love how in Season 4 there was one character who used a Horus/Royal Decree netdeck, who ended up being the reason that arc's villain was able to succeed. I think. Season 4 didn't really make any sense.

What do you mean it didn't make sense? I remember the episode you're talking about, it was as simple as:

Judai jumps off exploding buildings>lands on one of those things window cleaners stand on>poo poo blows up as he parkours down>neos blows poo poo up on the ground so the explosion breaks the fall>judai picks up a card>judai gets drunk over darkness>he had a motorcycle apparently and drove all drunk>kid with Horus deck beats everyone. EVERYONE.>Kenzan stands up to him>Horus kid uses his darkness against Kenzan>He's way too nice>Horus kid shows Kenzan's past life>Kenzan's previous life was a T-Rex>He's happy as hell>turns out he ate dinosaurs>the ghosts of the dinosaurs eat him while the Horus kid plays the card game>Judai is drunk dueling the main villain>main villain turns out to be Johan>Johan sobers Judai by shooting rainbows off his dragon>they both steal a boat

the best episode

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dexie posted:

I think it was pretty cool that she and Crow became bros, though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well yeah, it did get kind of weird in the later episodes, but having weird decks was pretty common in GX.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There's even an episode in season 4 where they hold a tag team tournament and she gets paired up with Jaden. The point of the episode is that he completely ignores every card she puts on the field and just wins on his own which pisses her off immensely. I think the writers were completely aware at that point that they kinda forgot about her in the earlier seasons. :v:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I like that episode a lot. You've got people in the tournament like Chancellor Sheppard and Dorothy having a good time and even finding enjoyment in losing, and then there's Jaden just not caring and treating it so seriously. At the end Jaden remembers that it's just a loving children's card game.

And then he forgets it in the next episode so the writers could have Yugi teach it to him instead. Season 4 felt really rushed. Come to think of it, I don't think any of the shows except the original had a satisfying ending.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That Zexal ended at all so we could get something enjoyable instead worked for me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kay Kessler posted:

Season 4 felt really rushed.

IIRC that was because Jaden's VA wanted a raise, they told him to go gently caress himself and ended the show instead :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 31, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Man, I stopped playing the card game ages ago, but Arc-V keeps on making me smile. Watching him pull out all the bullshit, and the game having comedy and action during the duels really helps.

Also, yay that 100 points of damage :allears:.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SystemLogoff posted:

Man, I stopped playing the card game ages ago, but Arc-V keeps on making me smile. Watching him pull out all the bullshit, and the game having comedy and action during the duels really helps.

I feel the same. I stopped playing the card game once it stopped being a fad (so before the 5D's era), but I still followed the anime and I can't say I regret it. 5D's was awesome, and I'm enjoying the hell out of Arc-V. It's so silly, but in a fun and actually well-written way. It's silly because it wants to be, everything is flashy as hell and it's entirely possible to understand just why. Yuya is really enjoyable as a lead, too.

Also I watched the last ep of Zexal yesterday. The ending of a series should not have so many off-model moments. I wish I could comment on the episode itself before pointing this out but holy poo poo did they really have no budget for the last episode?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexie posted:

Crow was bad but not even he can out-garbage Aporia.

Arc-V is fun. Can't wait until it gets dark as hell and people start dropping like flies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VJeff posted:

Crow was bad but not even he can out-garbage Aporia.

Aporia might just have been the worst villain ever. He was laughable in every way. :v:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

So far, Crow's the only member of the "Joey" archetype that flat-out sucks. Joey, Syrus and Shark are all really well-developed characters, but Crow's just so static.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 6, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Crow sucked a lot in part 1 of the show, but towards the end, he actually became pretty cool and got some decent context to his character in his duels against Bommer/Greiger and Goodwin. If he had stayed as like, the fourth or fifth most important character in the show after that, he probably would've been fine.

It's in part 2 when it became totally obvious that he was just there to shove Blackwings on us and to make it worse, he pretty much kicked Aki, Rua and Ruka into "who cares" territory. And the two episodes where he gets his dragon might be straight-up the dumbest in the franchise.

Xoidanor posted:

Aporia might just have been the worst villain ever. He was laughable in every way. :v:

Aporia looks like what I imagine a MAD TV parody of Yu-Gi-Oh would have a character look like. I just can't believe they actually approved that design. I have similar feelings about the dude from the movie but at least he was in GLOOOORIOUS 3D :awesomelon:

Kay Kessler posted:

So far, Crow's the only member of the "Joey" archetype that flat-out sucks. Joey, Syrus and Shark are all really well-developed characters, but Crow just so static.

And if Arc-V is any indication so far, Yuzu will fit in just fine. :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This was posted on the YGO official FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=849059598456073&set=a.498905223471514.130793.124988010863239&type=1

Yu-gi-oh FB page posted:

Can you guess who our first special guest for the 2014 North American World Championship Qualifier is going to be? Here's a hint!

We're gonna see mock duels between the characters? :allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh hey the guy who used Soul Charge in the anime. What a funny coincidence. :lol:

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

I hope Kaiba gives a suitcase to Yugi to fight him, and he ends up using Sixth Sense. Just keep laughing Konami.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This was posted on the YGO official FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=849059598456073&set=a.498905223471514.130793.124988010863239&type=1

We're gonna see mock duels between the characters? :allears:

They've been doing that for a while now. The Mai vs. Yugi duel had Yugi activating Multiply and causing hundreds of Kuriboh cards to blanket the field. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't want to say Legion Mate hasn't been interesting, because by all means the plot itself has been somewhat good, and it's nice to have villains that aren't :moreevil: for once in the series, even moreso with Kourin with them, but holy poo poo can the heroes win for once? It's becoming kind of annoying, I tend to zone out on the actual cardfights apart from whatever new phrase is thrown around because I already fully know how it'll end. Every fight against the Quatre Knights and Kourin has ended in defeat. C'mon, just one little victory, so that we might even wonder how things will end?

That said, I have to seriously wonder how the hell Kourin got Link Joker back. I know it is to sell that brand-new Will of the Locked Dragon trial deck in reality, but I have to wonder where Kourin got a deck that by all means should not exist anymore since Reverse Takuto was defeated. Even moreso, how she's using Link Joker without being Reversed again, and how she can not Reverse people that lose against her. The series seems to be contradicting itself fiercely just to justify product placement, not a good thing, even when I like that Kourin would go as far as using Link Joker to protect Aichi.

Also I have to seriously wonder what Kai's doing now that he doesn't have Blaster Blade Seeker. Both of his Legions depended on him, so now his deck is effectively defanged, relying on two Legion units without mates. The more obvious answer would be that he merely gets a new trump card, perhaps Seeker Ezel or Seeker Garmore (neither of which would make any sort of sense with what the Seekers are, but hey, non-Reverse Link Joker...), though I kind of would love it if it makes him go back to Kagero, after all we have no main character using it (Miwa why do you appear in the opening)

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, I have to seriously wonder how the hell Kourin got Link Joker back. I know it is to sell that brand-new Will of the Locked Dragon trial deck in reality, but I have to wonder where Kourin got a deck that by all means should not exist anymore since Reverse Takuto was defeated. Even moreso, how she's using Link Joker without being Reversed again, and how she can not Reverse people that lose against her. The series seems to be contradicting itself fiercely just to justify product placement, not a good thing, even when I like that Kourin would go as far as using Link Joker to protect Aichi.

She's not/can't reverse Kai because she's not reversed. The group noted she wasn't reversed and even said it out loud. As for how/why she's running Link Joker, the plot just wants it, that's why. Maybe it'll be explained later on.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

My guess is that after the end of season 3, Aichi retained a fragment of Void's power. The reason that Link Joker is still around is because he's playing host to it, and the reason he's telling people not to find him is because he has to keep that power contained, and he's afraid that if they get close to him, they'll get caught in the crossfire. Or distract him, but "keep friends safe from me" seems more Aichi's speed than "must focus on TERRIBLE BURDEN."

As for Kai, I assume he's going to have to build a new deck now, which he needed to do anyway, because his last one was a pile of hot garbage that couldn't even use its main tricks that well. But I already went over that, the short version of the edits being "drop one crossbow guy and both 10ks for three Blaster Blade Seekers, drop the Hasbasados for Lunetes, drop the unicorn thing for Glynngal."

I wonder if the show is going to make anything of the fact that when Kourin showed up, Misaki is the only one that expressed any concern for her instead of just going BLARGH WHERE IS AICHI.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That duel was great, they perfectly captured how it feels to go against a Constellar player who gets the first turn. The preview shows fusion kid playing Gem Knight so that pretty much guarantees the synchro kid also has a Duel Terminal archetype. Naturia is scheduled to get some new support just around the corner so I hope it's them. :allears:

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

That duel was great, they perfectly captured how it feels to go against a Constellar player who gets the first turn. The preview shows fusion kid playing Gem Knight so that pretty much guarantees the synchro kid also has a Duel Terminal archetype. Naturia is scheduled to get some new support just around the corner so I hope it's them. :allears:

Normal summon cliff; double summon and tribute for Bamboo; Set 4 pass. Draw Phase activate Mind Drain.

but yeah I am pretty happy all the DT archetypes are getting some love.

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 9, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I would be insanely happy if the Steelswarm showed up

:v:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

This makes me wonder how they're gonna handle Synchro monsters. I seem to recall that Zexal wasn't allowed to use them because it would have broken the continuity of 5D's. Honestly, when I first saw preview images of Yuya's two Magicians I thought that he was going to have two ace monsters, one Synchro and one Xyz. Kinda disappointed that didn't happen.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

The Synchro user is wielding a wooden sword and is named 'Katana', so my money is on X-Sabers.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Dexie posted:

The Synchro user is wielding a wooden sword and is named 'Katana', so my money is on X-Sabers.

Please be X-Sabers. I need some new support.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, Gusto exist and a cool archetype. They've never been mentioned in the series and only got a nominal mention in the games. You just feel like going 'caw caw gently caress you' to your enemy when you play Gusto.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Konami basically gave the finger to the archetype when they released the cosmic dragons/yang zing's. That archetype does the exact same thing (float & synchro) but much better. They also have support cards that aren't just garbage versions of regular cards so there's that too. Just compare Quill Pen of Guldos with Cosmic Dragon Comet Trail. One is a draw engine and the other is a lovely compuls. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gusto is my favorite archetype of the ones I run. Currently I run Ghostrick, Gusto, and hunder. Probably gonna pick up Battlin' Boxers, Cloudians, and find my Amazoness deck to complete the set.

• Locked thread